|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Great Oak Guardian
Creature — Treefolk
Flash (You may cast this spell at any time you could cast an instant.)
When Great Oak Guardian enters the battlefield, creatures target player controls get +2/+2 until end of turn. Untap them.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||thekingpinBR , sombrevivo , Reliva , DarkAndFluffy , frederiklw , Shiromakuro , rikertchu|
|Want (11)||frederiklw , DarkAngelsBlood1 , Gryffix , mhelkior , bpm4 , kvfd1719 , Commander_Archer , bezet , Jokulmorder1 , MoxFlux , Roryrai|
Great Oak Guardian Discussion
3 days ago
I'm working on one of these now. If everybody has to attack there won't be many blockers so... creatures like Raving Dead, Virtus the Veiled and Master of Cruelties will be deadly. Master of Cruelties will usually have to block since he can't attack with other creatures but he's a pretty intimidating blocker.
Red has tons of "steal a creature for one round" spells to add to damage and remove what few blockers are left.
Not sure what i'll end up with but those are my first thoughts.
1 week ago
I've managed to scrounge around and put this deck together in paper. Here's what I've seen so far in the games I've played...
Planar Chaos is a bit hit and miss. It did counter a commander once and missed on a Farseek. I lost it on my turn at my first upkeep. Worth some more testing but I think it's not going to be good long term for this deck to have it.
Yisan and Great Oak Guardian deserve mention because I was able to combo off through a counter spell heavy cEDH tournament table with just Yisan on the field. I've found it to be a great include to fight through permission decks.
As for Great Oak Guardian specifically, it's worked beautifully. I've worked out the math to have my deck combo off of just Imperial Recruiter. Here's the line:
The above line has worked wonders.
Splinter Twin has also been a nice backup at times to Kiki-Jiki. But another unsung hero has been Genesis. At 3 mana, Genesis has been able to get Ramunap Excavator which has let me get back on my feet rather quickly.
1 week ago
Homelessguy If I have infinite mana, I can use Staff of Domination or Walking Ballista! ..or pump my guys with Trample via Ezuri, Renegade Leader or Rhonas the Indomitable, or flood the board with infinite ginormous Hydras with Hydra Broodmaster, or draw & play every creature in the entire deck with Duskwatch Recruiter Flip.. Many options, & the Great Oak Guardian combos nicely with Selvala & Temur Sabertooth to produce that infinite mana
1 week ago
ah, then maybe Great Oak Guardian also. I use it as a trap in my Animar deck.
3 weeks ago
Wow, two Ravenous Slimes?! Sick!
Real note, @Solomox, he had Great Oak Guardian in there at one point for combo untap stuff.
4 weeks ago
So this is one of my first attemps to make a deck.... And I love mushrooms and wanted to make a flavourful deck that had basically mushrooms, and their environment, trees and treefolk... To be played with friends but still as mighty s possible. But I am honestly struggling to fit everything in properly.... And no clue about which spells to choose! Any feedback is welcomed. So far I got something like this:
Verdeloth the Ancient Unstoppable Ash Orchard Warden Leaf-Crowned Elder Treefolk Harbinger Bosk Banneret Dountless Dourbark Timber Protector Ghoultree Indomitable Ancients Great Oak Guardian/ Cloudcrown Oak
Fungi I really wasnt sure here, not sure if mushrooms would be better represented in this deck by little ones that create saprolings and that is it, or if it is more convenient to keep the good ones in... so had those ideas so far. Also wanted to keep all as mushroomy as possible.
Mycologist x1 Essential for the theme I am aiming for, was thinking of 2 of these. Thallid Shell-Dweller x2 Benefits from using toughness to power up along with treefolk? Corpsejack Menace x3 Ghave, Guru of Spores x2 Mycoloth x2
Enchantments/Spells... The same for this, trying to keep it as mushroom foresty as possible. [pGrow from the Ashes]] is very tempting for this reason... but having other fedges.... Seed Spark ? Lignify ? Saproling Symbiosis ?? Reach of Branches ?? Rootgrapple ?? Fungal Sprouting Fungal Plots Luminiscent Rain Verdant Embrace Infect Pollenbright Wings Whirlwind Was thinking of adding something like Wrath of god or something to clean up the other's cards while having the [Timber Protector] ... Thoughts? And for more multiplayer Sheltering Ancient Heartwood Storyteller Collective Voyage ??
Well, please I would appreciate any feedback. Playing 60 cards, not much restriction... Also potenetially could make it into an EDH deck? But my pals do not really have those although we could probably get into that.
The budget is around 40 bucks...
Thanks in advance.
All the best.
2 months ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
2 months ago
I'm not sure if your playgroup is fine with going infinite to win, but I see Sage of Hours run in a lot of Ezuri decks. Desert Twister, Great Oak Guardian and Illusory Ambusher seem relatively weak. If you want good creatures, you could run Invisible Stalker, Fathom Mage, or Gyre Sage. When it comes to removal, Beast Within is better than the twister, or Pongify against creatures. Overrun is a good card in the deck, but a better card is Overwhelming Stampede. Some also run Pathbreaker Ibex.