|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Great Oak Guardian
Creature — Treefolk
Flash (You may cast this spell at any time you could cast an instant.)
When Great Oak Guardian enters the battlefield, creatures target player controls get +2/+2 until end of turn. Untap them.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Great Oak Guardian Discussion
4 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
6 days ago
I'm not sure if your playgroup is fine with going infinite to win, but I see Sage of Hours run in a lot of Ezuri decks. Desert Twister, Great Oak Guardian and Illusory Ambusher seem relatively weak. If you want good creatures, you could run Invisible Stalker, Fathom Mage, or Gyre Sage. When it comes to removal, Beast Within is better than the twister, or Pongify against creatures. Overrun is a good card in the deck, but a better card is Overwhelming Stampede. Some also run Pathbreaker Ibex.
2 months ago
I'm not arguing tiers, wherever it ends up is fine with me. I had a turn 4 win last weekend and it was hilarious but that's beside the point.
I just want to see an updated list from the most competitive deck that's out there. One of my issues with this current one is that it doesn't have a 4 mana untap creature. You've got Pestermite and Deceiver Exarch at 3 CMC, Zealous Conscripts at 5 CMC, and Great Oak Guardian at 6 CMC. That means you don't have a 4CMC target when you sac and tutor with Birthing Pod. Instead of the two 3 CMC cards, I added a Breaching Hippocamp so i can hit that 4 CMC target if I have to sac a 3 cmc creature to combo off.
3 months ago
Come to think of it, I usually see Kiki-Jiki paired with card that untaps it, like Zealous Conscripts... but why not run Intruder Alarm? Then it wouldn't matter what creature the goblin targets, there will still be an infinitely large army. Swing with a bunch of Grimoire Thiefs and watch the libraries fly.
3 months ago
The Great Oak Guardian + Temur Sabertooth combo is nice, but I don't really see it fit the theme of the deck very much; Surrak, the Hunt Caller, on the other hand would be a very good addition, along with Selvala, Heart of the Wilds. I've been looking for her for months, but she's really hard to find around my LGS.
3 months ago
You should consider Surrak, the Hunt Caller he reduces Ghalta's cost by 5 and gives her haste the turn she comes into play. Polukranos, World Eater also gives you a high power for low cost creature who can wipe all your opponents creatures if you can make infinite mana.
4 months ago
DracoDarkstorm, unfortunately, AEther Flash and Polyraptor can not be ended without a third piece, so they actually are just part of a 3-card infinite combo rather than form a 2-card combo by themselves. Thanks though!
Jeyce, with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed on the battlefield, Triskelion will enter as a 5/5. If you remove a counter to hit an opponent, it will be a 4/4. Remove two more to hit itself, and it will die from being a 2/2 that was dealt two damage, then undying will trigger to return to the battlefield.
As for Goblin Sharpshooter and Splinter Twin, the catalyst for the combo is either a creature dying while the enchanted Sharpshooter is untapped or any creature with 1 toughness (or 1 damage away from dying). In both of those cases, the enchanted Sharpshooter can be tapped to create a token copy with haste, and then (if necessary) the token tapped to kill that creature. One the untap trigger(s) resolve, you will have an enchanted Sharpshooter and a token copy. From that point, you can tap the enchanted Sharpshooter for a token copy, tap one of the copies to damage an opponent, then tap the other copy to kill one of the token copies in order to untap the two Sharpshooters in order to repeat until death rains upon all opponents. This is very unintuitive when looking at the pieces, so I've added it to the description of that combo.
That Chandra combo though... that's definitely a 9-card combo lol
Jeyce, I've added Benthicore to the Splinter Twin combos and Bounding Krasis, Breaching Hippocamp, Great Oak Guardian, and Sparring Mummy to the Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker/Splinter Twin combos. Thank you so much!
I do have those combos for unhasty creatures already, but thanks anyways!
Dorotheus, yes, I am glad however that Minion is unique in its ability to combo with the Bracers though!
4 months ago
Benthicore and Splinter Twin are infinite hasty tokens. Bounding Krasis as well or with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. Breaching Hippocamp, Captain of the Mists, Great Oak Guardian, Midnight Guard, Sparring Mummy, Sunstrike Legionnaire, and Village Bell-Ringer as well. For unhasty there are Janjeet Sentry and Vizier of Tumbling Sands.