|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
- Can I Chord of Calling for a God if my devotion is below the required amount?
- hardened scales and my Evolve/enchantment deck, Trigger timings?
- Temur Charm target on Artisan of Forms still resolves after heroic resolves
- Is there an Infinite Whip of Erebos Combo if the Whip didn't exile cards?
- Essence of the wild + ETB effects
Creature — Insect
When Hornet Queen enters the battlefield, put four 1/1 green Insect creature tokens with flying and deathtouch onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||, rebelteddybear , thetechzombie , LegendDeer , bradyofportdetroit , ZombieFood , CAPT.Shock , Kvothe1115 , geazykagar , Ellyreia , HR19 , philktoken8998 , Billy_Loper27 , ShishkyBob , golgarigirl , twistedmage , dplerner , rockleemyhero , SirFabius|
Hornet Queen Discussion
3 days ago
Animar, Soul of Elements checks whenever you "cast a creature spell", but not when a creature enters the battlefield. So it will get a +1/+1 counter for casting Hornet Queen, but it will not get any for the tokens Queen produces.
3 days ago
No, the tokens won't count. The only spell you cast in your example was the Hornet Queen. The tokens were put onto the battlefield by an ability.
3 days ago
5 days ago
1 week ago
Mannu_1978 I am intrigued by the jank, I must admit :) However it seems highly risky to sacrifice drawing into some of the major threats of the deck (such as Hornet Queen) 'cause of the synergy with Wild Cantor alone.
Thanks for showing me that card though - gotta love it! :)
2 weeks ago
Thanks very much for the feedback (again) :):)
Yeah, I have several ways of getting Reclamation Sage in the GY. If all else fails, I'll attack someone with him who doesn't mind blocking (and killing) him so that I can get him back the next turn with Meren. Works well if the whole table is suffering the consequences of one person's artifact/enchantment and Rec-Sage is already on the BF. Aaah, diplomacy :)
Thragtusk is really interesting, I hadn't considered him yet. However, Conjurer's Closet is definitely going to stay; its worth has been shown to me time and again. I've used it for the extra lifegain with Merchant and Kokusho, but also to let Bloodspore Thrinax/Mycoloth reenter the field at a time when I could sac more tokens for them and a lot to blink Sidisi, Undead Vizier/Rune-Scarred Demon and end games that way.
I've used Hornet Queen before in this deck. Wasn't too fond of its casting cost ... Then again, the combo's you're describing do look interesting. I'll give some thought on what to replace.
2 weeks ago
Catacomb Sifter tends to end up being really good in Meren. It doesn't seem amazing on paper, but it tends to get ignored and scry a billion times and Eldrazi Spawn tokens are incredibly good in Meren.
3 weeks ago
You're running a couple of things I've considered but never tested that I'd love to get your opinion on. Do you find that Blood Artist and Zulaport Cutthroat do good work? I've been considering them since I have so many tokens, so I'd be curious to hear how they work for you. Also, do you generally find that you're able to get Reclamation Sage in the graveyard easily when you want to? I'm currently running Viridian Zealot for the self-sacrifice, but I've been thinking that rec sage might be better.
In terms of possible replacements, there are a couple of things you might try:
- I'm not convinced that Diligent Farmhand is better than Sakura-Tribe Elder. It seems like the best possible upside is that you play it T1, take T2 off to sac it and ramp in to Meren T3 and put it back on the battlefield, at which point it costs 2 mana to sac it again. If it were Elder, you could play something T1, then play and sac it T2, play Meren T3 to return it to hand, and then it's still only 2 mana to play and sac it again. The fact that you can just get a free land off of Elder any time you need it with Meren and 2 experience seems a lot better than maybe getting to fetch it direct to the field sooner.
- Conjurer's Closet seems right on the edge of worth it. You currently have 10 hits in the deck, but a bunch of them aren't very good hits. Something like Thragtusk might be more likely to pay off. Or even if you left in closet, Thragtusk would make another strong target (and be in-flavor with Kokusho).
- It may be worth cutting one of Mind's Eye or Deathreap Ritual. They're both a lot less efficient than the other card draw and having a card that does something right away might be good. A decent option could be Hornet Queen, which gives draw power w\with Skullclamp and Evolutionary Leap. It also lights up Hecatomb and Westvale Abbey on its own or give you a pile of stuff to sac to Bloodspore Thrinax or Mycoloth. There's probably some magical Christmas land whene you sac out queen and the bees to Thrinax, then fetch it back to the field EoT with Meren to get a 7/7 and 4 5/5's.