Convoke (Each creature you tap while casting this spell reduces its total cost by 1 or by one mana of that creature's color.)
Buyback 3 (You may pay an additional 3 as you cast this spell. If you do, put this card into your hand as it resolves.)
Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sprout Swarm Discussion
1 week ago
Armillary Sphere, Nim Deathmantle, Cauldron of Souls, Din of the Fireherd, Recollect, Fade into Antiquity, Reincarnation, Sprout Swarm, Blightsteel Colossus, Thopter Assembly, Mogis, God of Slaughter, Master of Cruelties, Tymaret, the Murder King, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, Creakwood Liege, Kazandu Tuskcaller, Hua Tuo, Honored Physician, Sepulchral Primordial, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Dread, Butcher of Malakir, Fell Shepherd, Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder, Endless Cockroaches, Ophiomancer, Mortivore, Dark Impostor, Molten Primordial
1 week ago
This is a budget version of my Ghave build. It tries to keep as many of the efficient combo pieces, but subs out some of the goodstuff for cheaper (monetarily) alternatives.
This deck relies on a lot of small two- or three- card (finite) combos to generate tons of +1/+1 counters and creatures, and uses Ghave to switch between the two. The various pump effects allow a token-based kill, but killing with a gigantic Ghave works just as well.
Cards fall into several categories:
- +1/+1 Counter Generation: Champion of Lambholt, Corpsejack Menace, Cytoplast Root-Kin, Golgari Guildmage, Ivy Lane Denizen, Juniper Order Ranger, Lumberknot, Renegade Krasis, Twilight Drover; Cathars' Crusade, Doubling Season; Blade of the Bloodchief, Contagion Engine; Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
- Token Generation: Selesnya Guildmage; Sprout Swarm
- Anthem Effects:Beastmaster Ascension, Intangible Virtue, Marshal's Anthem; Mirari's Wake; Coat of Arms, Hall of Triumph, Sword of the Paruns; Garruk Wildspeaker
- Recursion: Cadaver Imp, Deadwood Treefolk, Eternal Witness, Sun Titan; Marshal's Anthem.
- Removal: These are more obvious - of note are Woodfall Primus, Butcher of Malakir, Dictate of Erebos, and Aura Shards. Glare of Subdual works as pseudo-removal since this is a token-heavy build.
- Mana Acceleration: Also pretty obvious. Of note are Gyre Sage and Mirari's Wake.
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + "enter the battlefield" counter generation (Champion of Lambholt, Corpsejack Menace, Ivy Lane Denizen, Juniper Order Ranger, or Cathars' Crusade)
- When the creature comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on the relevant card; then pay (1) and remove that counter to put a token into play; repeat.
- Net result is (1): Put a 1/1 Saproling onto the battlefield.
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + death-trigger counter generation (Lumberknot, Twilight Drover, or Blade of the Bloodchief)
- Pay (1) and sacrifice a creature, putting a +1/+1 on the relevant creature AND a +1/+1 counter on the target creature; pay (1) and remove a +1/+1 counter to make a token; repeat.
- Net result is (2): Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature (and trigger any death triggers (e.g. Dictate of Erebos, Falkenrath Noble)
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Woodfall Primus + "enter the battlefield" counter generation (Cathars' Crusade, Ivy Lane Denizen, Juniper Order Ranger)
- Pay (1) and sacrifice Deadwood Treefolk, putting a +1/+1 counter on something; ST's persist ability triggers, returning it to the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter; the counter generator's ability triggers, putting a +1/+1 counter on WP (cancelling the -1/-1, leaving it with no counters) AND WP's "enter the battlefield" ability triggers, destroying a noncreature permanent.
- Net result is (2): Destroy target noncreature permanent and put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
- Gyre Sage (with 4 or more +1/+1 counters) + Sword of the Paruns
- Tap Gyre Sage for mana; spend (3) to untap Gyre Sage; repeat. As long as GS has at least four counters, you'll net at least 1 mana each time.
While Ghave is involved in most of the combos, this deck can win even if you don't have him. The inherent synergies between the tokens, counter generation, and anthem effects is REALLY strong.
Intentional Inclusion/Exclusion Choices:
- Swiftfoot Boots > Lightning Greaves: Hexproof is MUCH better than shroud in this deck, because you often want to put counters on the equipped creature.
- Dictate of Erebos > Grave Pact: It's too hard to hit (B)(B)(B) reliably; DoE is with worth the extra mana for the ability to cast it most of the time.
- Burnished Hart > Yavimaya Elder: The options are roughly (3)+(3) to put two lands into play tapped, or (1)(G)(G)+(2) to get two lands into your hand and draw a card. I ran into issues with [a] not getting (G)(G) early enough, ideally turn 3, and [b] not getting acceleration from YE since the lands go into your hand.
2 months ago
You know you can go infinite with Sprout Swarm.
2 months ago
hannibal6, I looked at Sprout Swarm before and I was unsure about it. I have a large number of token generation as it is, and 5 cost to get 1 token and bring it back is quite a lot, especially since I already run 3 Scatter the Seeds (4 soon when Yggdrasil60 responds to me switching back to the aggro build, probably).
3 months ago
This looks really good. Consider Pilgrim's Eye, Wood Elves, Daru Stinger, Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Fierce Empath, Shinewend, Wirewood Herald, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Suture Priest,Ainok Bond-Kin, Cytospawn Shambler, and for the love of god, Sprout Swarm. Syndic of Tithes, Auramancer, Qasali Pridemage, Faith's Fetters, Arrest, Armadillo Cloak, Bonesplitter, Oblivion Ring, Krosan Tusker, Pale Recluse, Journey to Nowhere, Rancor, Yavimaya Elder, and Guardian of the Guildpact aren't on-theme but are all very good individual cards that could shore up any weaknesses you may have. Remember you can play Naya Panorama, Bant Panorama, Blossoming Sands, Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Command Tower, and Unknown Shores for additional fixing.
3 months ago
some cards you may or may not have been thinking of to spice up your cube.
I have a 1200 card singleton cube that runs around 200 dual land/strip mine/ghost quarter/wasteland. It makes it a lot of fun for your players simply because it gives them endless options.
|Avg. draft pick||4.02|
|Avg. cube pick||3.65|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all