Convoke (Each creature you tap while casting this spell reduces its total cost by 1 or by one mana of that creature's color.)
Buyback 3 (You may pay an additional 3 as you cast this spell. If you do, put this card into your hand as it resolves.)
Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sprout Swarm Discussion
2 days ago
Oh, wait, um. Things to do with the mana.
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, basically any hydrae, but Polukranos, World Eater and Hydra Broodmaster are the first to come to mind, Hurricane, Sprout Swarm for the lulz, and a Concordant Crossroads to give your big thing/big army haste.
2 weeks ago
I went a slightly different way with my Nemata deck, Tokens 'n Topdecks, but we have a lot of overlap.
I don't think this deck has enough counter support to run kolonian hydra. It makes you a threat at the table, and you'll get focus fired, despite the fact that only one or two other creatures in the deck can even take advantage of it. Looks like just Mycoloth and Death's Presence. I'd replace them with something like Vernal Bloom/Keeper of Progenitus and Parallel Evolution. Any doubler - token, mana, untap - will result in double (or more) saprolings on the field, setting up a win.
In one game, I started a turn with Parallel Lives, 11 saprolings, 12 mana, 5 other creatures, and a Parallel Evolution + Sprout Swarm in my hand. With just these resources, you can swing for over 2.5k damage (11 229/229s).
3 weeks ago
I couldn't agree more about playing Ghave as a token heavy swarm/control deck, rather than a combo deck.
Now as for some of your card suggestions (I think I've run/considered all of these but Primordial Hydra) -
Juniper Order Ranger - I had him initially, but he got replaced by Cathars' Crusade since the effect is better. However, you could make the argument that Juniper comes along with a creature's body, which is nice, or that I could use a second iteration of the effect, which may be the correct move. I'll mull it over.
Elspeth Tirel - I love all of the Elspeth PW Cards. I used to constantly rotate all three of them through the deck in that slot, but at the end of the day I really do like Elspeth, Sun's Champion the best. The boardwipe into token production can really take over games.
Hardened Scales - I kind of feel like I don't have enough +1/+1 counter tech to make this worth it. With this kind of flat synergy card (i.e. useless on it's own), I want to have 20 good synergies before I'll consider it. I do like that it's so cheap though...
Dictate of Erebos - I've already got three of this effect in the deck, and I don't feel like the flash is enough for me to run it over the three I already have.
Primordial Hydra - It's a good card for Ghave, but I'm going for swarm over singleton big creatures.
And the card critiques:
Luminarch Ascension - This may be the only card I just flat out disagree with you on. It's the single best token producer in the deck. One round around the table (in a normal 4-player free for all game, which is what I usually play) turns this sucker on, then you're making 4/4 flying angels for two mana. If you play multiplayer and you don't play this in any token deck that can play it, you should be.
Monastery Mentor - Currently testing. The high noncreature count in the deck makes me feel like he'll be good, but I can't say that for sure until I see him in a few games.
Brimaz, King of Oreskos - As above. He's been in for a while, but never seems to show up in any games I play...
Sprout Swarm - That look when you airdrop in a saporling to block their giant 20/20 god creature? Priceless (although it rarely happens). Besides it's cheap and the more creatures it makes, the better it gets. Do you have something better in mind for the slot?
Darksteel Plate - I can see the argument for taking this one out. Usually I stick it on whatever creature is currently essential to maintaining my board state, but I may replace it for some kind of more global protection...
Decree of Pain - Resets the board when you're behind? Refills your hand? It might be useless when I'm already ahead, but that's not really a bad thing given how easy it is to drop back behind.
Farseek - Do you have a better turn two mana acceleration card in mind?
1 month ago
I don't have too much experience in the field of white and green decks, however I think these changes might help. Elder of Laurels is a bit slow and seems like it'd be only good late game, and would be mostly useless due to the lack of trample. A good card if you'd like a bit of life gain would be Leyline of Vitality, and to help make your tokens larger, a few Intangible Virtue. I'd sideboard a couple Aura Shards, and maindeck an Autochthon Wurm since you're going for convoke. a pretty good convoke spell (at least in my opinion) for this would be a Sprout Swarm, and if you are going to be pumping out a bunch of tokens, Doubling Season or its cheaper counterpart Parallel Lives would help speed it up. Dryad Militant, Rest in Peace, or Wheel of Sun and Moon would be a good sideboard addition to help prevent graveyard recursion (along with Tormod's Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, etc), however it might not be too necessary to include too much of it. Mercy Killing could be a pretty good removal spell for this deck, along with maybe Selesnya Charm. Rootborn Defenses might help you survive field wipes. Rhys the Redeemed is a GREAT card for token multiplication.Jade Mage seems kind of meh to me, but that's up to you to decide there. Sigil Captain would also help to make those 1/1's larger, as well as possibly Selesnya Guildmage (although I'd choose Sigil Blessing over Selesnya Guildmage). you could possibly benefit off of Trostani, Selesnya's Voice, and would really do well with Voice of Resurgence. Wilt-Leaf Liege would also buff your tokens as well. Hour of Reckoning would be a pretty good simi field wipe, and Overwhelm (or Overwhelming Stampede) could be a good finisher as well. Devouring Light would be another good removal spell for early game too.
Having looked over my comment after typing it, it seems I mostly gave you token buff and control advise, but I don't feel like looking for stuff again so I'm going to post this anyways.
2 months ago
This is a budget version of my Ghave build. It tries to keep as many of the efficient combo pieces, but subs out some of the goodstuff for cheaper (monetarily) alternatives.
This deck relies on a lot of small two- or three- card (finite) combos to generate tons of +1/+1 counters and creatures, and uses Ghave to switch between the two. The various pump effects allow a token-based kill, but killing with a gigantic Ghave works just as well.
Cards fall into several categories:
- +1/+1 Counter Generation: Champion of Lambholt, Corpsejack Menace, Cytoplast Root-Kin, Golgari Guildmage, Ivy Lane Denizen, Juniper Order Ranger, Lumberknot, Renegade Krasis, Twilight Drover; Cathars' Crusade, Doubling Season; Blade of the Bloodchief, Contagion Engine; Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
- Token Generation: Selesnya Guildmage; Sprout Swarm
- Anthem Effects:Beastmaster Ascension, Intangible Virtue, Marshal's Anthem; Mirari's Wake; Coat of Arms, Hall of Triumph, Sword of the Paruns; Garruk Wildspeaker
- Recursion: Cadaver Imp, Deadwood Treefolk, Eternal Witness, Sun Titan; Marshal's Anthem.
- Removal: These are more obvious - of note are Woodfall Primus, Butcher of Malakir, Dictate of Erebos, and Aura Shards. Glare of Subdual works as pseudo-removal since this is a token-heavy build.
- Mana Acceleration: Also pretty obvious. Of note are Gyre Sage and Mirari's Wake.
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + "enter the battlefield" counter generation (Champion of Lambholt, Corpsejack Menace, Ivy Lane Denizen, Juniper Order Ranger, or Cathars' Crusade)
- When the creature comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on the relevant card; then pay (1) and remove that counter to put a token into play; repeat.
- Net result is (1): Put a 1/1 Saproling onto the battlefield.
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + death-trigger counter generation (Lumberknot, Twilight Drover, or Blade of the Bloodchief)
- Pay (1) and sacrifice a creature, putting a +1/+1 on the relevant creature AND a +1/+1 counter on the target creature; pay (1) and remove a +1/+1 counter to make a token; repeat.
- Net result is (2): Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature (and trigger any death triggers (e.g. Dictate of Erebos, Falkenrath Noble)
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Woodfall Primus + "enter the battlefield" counter generation (Cathars' Crusade, Ivy Lane Denizen, Juniper Order Ranger)
- Pay (1) and sacrifice Deadwood Treefolk, putting a +1/+1 counter on something; ST's persist ability triggers, returning it to the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter; the counter generator's ability triggers, putting a +1/+1 counter on WP (cancelling the -1/-1, leaving it with no counters) AND WP's "enter the battlefield" ability triggers, destroying a noncreature permanent.
- Net result is (2): Destroy target noncreature permanent and put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
- Gyre Sage (with 4 or more +1/+1 counters) + Sword of the Paruns
- Tap Gyre Sage for mana; spend (3) to untap Gyre Sage; repeat. As long as GS has at least four counters, you'll net at least 1 mana each time.
While Ghave is involved in most of the combos, this deck can win even if you don't have him. The inherent synergies between the tokens, counter generation, and anthem effects is REALLY strong.
Intentional Inclusion/Exclusion Choices:
- Swiftfoot Boots > Lightning Greaves: Hexproof is MUCH better than shroud in this deck, because you often want to put counters on the equipped creature.
- Dictate of Erebos > Grave Pact: It's too hard to hit (B)(B)(B) reliably; DoE is with worth the extra mana for the ability to cast it most of the time.
- Burnished Hart > Yavimaya Elder: The options are roughly (3)+(3) to put two lands into play tapped, or (1)(G)(G)+(2) to get two lands into your hand and draw a card. I ran into issues with [a] not getting (G)(G) early enough, ideally turn 3, and [b] not getting acceleration from YE since the lands go into your hand.
3 months ago
You know you can go infinite with Sprout Swarm.
3 months ago
hannibal6, I looked at Sprout Swarm before and I was unsure about it. I have a large number of token generation as it is, and 5 cost to get 1 token and bring it back is quite a lot, especially since I already run 3 Scatter the Seeds (4 soon when Yggdrasil60 responds to me switching back to the aggro build, probably).
|Avg. draft pick||4.02|
|Avg. cube pick||3.65|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Nettle Sentinel + Sprout Swarm
- Mana Echoes + Sprout Swarm
- Intruder Alarm + Sprout Swarm
- Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant + Sprout Swarm + Life and Limb
- Ashnod's Altar + Doubling Season + Sprout Swarm
- Sprout Swarm + Utopia Mycon
- Seedborn Muse + Sprout Swarm
- Parallel Lives + Sprout Swarm
- Sprout Swarm + Intruder Alarm
- Jeskai Ascendancy + Sprout Swarm