Search your library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
|Have (3)||rockleemyhero , , metalmagic|
|Want (3)||Chuggiexxx , matty266 , MTGJ51|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Uncommon|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Sylvan Scrying occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.1%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%
Sylvan Scrying Discussion
2 weeks ago
FunkiestBunch and OptimalGreen: Yeah, this set didn't give me much for Hapatra :( These days, the only new things that get added here are powerful draw sources, tutors, and (in the right block) -1 counter sources. With that said, Nylea's Intervention was an upgrade over Sylvan Scrying as a way to tutor Gaea's Cradle (since it can potentially grab me one or two other utility lands, or deal with fliers in a pinch).
Regarding Contamination, I've... considered it forever. I don't run many artifacts, but in theory my mana dorks should let me still have access to green. The bigger issue is that this deck is primarily green, especially in its wincons -- I have trouble winning with only black, and it cuts off my biggest mana generator (Gaea's Cradle). Though amusingly, it would make Cradle tap for B even when I control no creatures XD
I've considered Liliana, Dreadhorde General for a while. I love her as a card, and her ult is backbreaking, but Eldrazi Monument has proven to be pretty great. It permits an infinite combo with Yawgmoth, and makes me dodge most board wipes (ie, the easiest way to shut me down). Plus it's one of my three major ways to deal with fliers, and it's also one of my all-time favorite cards. Driven / Despair continues to be a disappointment every time I slot it back in, because of its one-shot nature. I just never seem to get it at the right time to really profit, even though on paper it looks amazing.
I'm running a good amount of interaction here -- I'm running 13 cards that I would consider to be a form of interaction, of which 9 are instant speed removal or protection. I'd never turn down more, of course, but what other interaction are you thinking?
2 weeks ago
Safewright Quest seems like a weak link here. Have you considered Harvest Season for a massive boost in land ramp? Beyond that, Throne of the God-Pharaoh seems like a great way to get some extra life loss in, and I wouldn't build anything in these colors without Beast Within/Generous Gift. I've run Sylvan Scrying before to find Gaea's Cradle, but I'd also recommend the new Nylea's Intervention for this role (and incidental benefit, too).
3 weeks ago
Hey, nice work in progress at upgrading the precon :)
I don't know what the meta you play in is like, but what I can give you is overall advice on how to upgrade the precon. What the precon needs is early game ramp, tutors, haste enablers for Ghired and repeatable protection for Ghired in combat so he can safely attack and populate. Rhinos are really the only threat you need as long as you can keep attacking with Ghired.
Cards within the budget to consider adding:
- Ramp: Birds of Paradise, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Elvish Mystic, Llanowar Elves
- Ramp: Smothering Tithe, Faeburrow Elder
- Ramp: Arcane Signet, Wild Growth
- Tutor: Eladamri's Call, Finale of Devastation, Worldly Tutor, Fierce Empath
- Tutor: Enlightened Tutor, Idyllic Tutor, Open the Armory
- Tutor: Crop Rotation, Sylvan Scrying
- Haste: Lightning Mauler, Ogre Battledriver, Hammer of Purphoros
- Repeatable Protection: Mother of Runes, Reconnaissance, Eldrazi Displacer
- Recursion: Eternal Witness, Regrowth
- Lands: Temple Garden, Stomping Ground, Brushland, Karplusan Forest, Grove of the Burnwillows, Rugged Prairie, Battlefield Forge
- Removal: Swords to Plowshares, Vandalblast, Cataclysm, Wrath of God, Beast Within, Generous Gift
A problem with the precon is the high avg. CMC which is 3.9. This number means that consistently four drops or higher CMC cards will be in your hand which is very slow. Early game you don't want lots of four or higher CMC cards in your hand because you will not be able to cast them. Adding low mana cost ramp by cutting high mana cost cards can help to reduce this number.
There's a lot of high CMC cards here, in fact there's 36 four or higher CMC cards which is too much. There's a lot of high CMC threats and I don't think you need all of them. Instead of playing so many high CMC threats replace some of them with tutors which can get you the better cards/threats into your hand.
To be more competitive I would expand on combos and use most of the high CMC card spots for more combo cards rather than big creature threats. You have done this some what already by adding Purphoros, Helm for Aurelia and Godo, but consider expanding further. Cards for combos to consider adding:
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Aggravated Assault
- Bear Umbra
- Sigarda's Aid
- Savage Ventmaw
- Zealous Conscripts
- Impact Tremors
Combos that go with these cards:
- Kiki + Helm + Purphoros or Tremors for infinite damage.
- Kiki + Conscripts infinite hasty token Conscripts to attack. Add Purphoros or Tremors for infinite damage.
Outside of combos Kiki is good with populate because he can make a token copy of a nonlegendary creature and if you populate the token then that token doesn't go away at end of the turn. Kiki combos with Helm for infinite Kikis since the token copy of Kiki that's created by Helm is not legendary which allows Kiki to copy it.
- Assault + Umbra + five lands for infinite combats.
- Assault + Ventmaw for infinite combats and infinite green or red mana.
More infinite combat combos is good with Ghired because his power comes from him attacking. Outside of the combos Assault is a good card with Ghired because it can give you more attacks which is more populate.
A problem with Helm in all the combos, even Godo, is it's slow because you have to pay the five mana cost to equip it. Aid is a one drop which is worth including for Helm and Selves.
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Hey, what's the max budget you have to make upgrades?
It can be a long process to upgrade an entire precon. What the precon really lacks is ramp, tutors and cards for better interaction with Ghired. The manabase in the precon can be upgraded with better dual lands, but casually is actually fine the way it is. Draw sources is one thing that the precon has a lot of which is surprising.
This is a summary list of some budget cards ($5 or less each, most are less than $1) that I think would help your deck:
- Ramp: Avacyn's Pilgrim, Wild Growth and Elvish Mystic
- Ramp: Selesnya Signet, Gruul Signet and Boros Signet
- Tutors: Eladamri's Call, Idyllic Tutor, Fierce Empath and Sylvan Scrying
- Extra Combats: Aggravated Assault with Savage Ventmaw
- Haste: Hammer of Purphoros, Ogre Battledriver and Lightning Mauler
- Protection: Mother of Runes, Eldrazi Displacer and Boros Charm
- Utility: Temur Sabertooth, Eternal Witness, Reclamation Sage and Regal Force
- Removal: Swords to Plowshares, Cleansing Nova and Heliod's Intervention
- Land: Canopy Vista and/or Scattered Groves that way Farseek can search for a dual land that can make white mana.
- Land: Battlefield Forge, Sunpetal Grove, Rootbound Crag and Sheltered Thicket
The avg. CMC (converted mana cost) of the precon is high at 3.9. This 3.9 number means that consistently you're not able to cast a spell until you have four mana sources and/or four lands which is slow. Consider reducing this number? Getting it down to 3.0 and then even lower after that. To do this consider cutting many high mana cost cards and replacing them with low mana cost ramp? Reducing the avg. CMC will speed up game play.
The most obvious upgrades to start with are adding more low mana cost ramp and tutors, but other upgrades to consider is how to make Ghired better overall for the deck since he's the Commander General. Casually Ghired is about attacking since he powers your deck's strategy by populating which he does when he attacks. Because attacking is important then consider strategies that can improve combat/attacking? Haste, extra combats and double strike are strong strategies with attacking.
I would make the Rhino the focus of the token population because it's big creature (4/4 trample) and is easily accessible because of Ghired. Because Ghired creates the Rhino token I don't think you need to go over the top with lots of other creatures or cards that create tokens. However, if relying more on Ghired and the Rhino token then consider more repeatable protection for Ghired to keep him alive on the battlefield. Not having to do combat damage with Ghired to populate is nice.
Not having to do combat damage means you can protect Ghired in combat so he survives while still populating a token since he attacked. If you can repeatedly protect Ghired in combat then you can keep safely attacking with him. Ghired needs to attack to populate which means he has to survive combat to be able to attack again. Protection for Ghired in combat is another area for upgrades to consider because you want Ghired to be able to keep attacking.
Extra combats are good with Ghired because he wants to be attacking and extra combats means you get to attack again or multiple times on your turn. Aggravated Assault + Savage Ventmaw is infinite combats which is infinite attacks. As long as Ventmaw can attack it makes six mana. Five of that mana can be used with Assault for an extra combat. At the extra combat Ventmaw will attack again and make six mana; use that mana with Assault and repeat. Without Ventmaw Assault is still a very good card because it can be repeatable for five mana on your turn you get to attack twice which can be a lot of Rhinos.
I offer more advice, more explanations about each of these suggestions, more detailed steps you can take to improve your deck, cards you could cut, etc. Would you like more advice?
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
- Spellkite is a SB card. -you have 8x Sylvan Scrying. replace this with an expatiation map.
- Greater Good is a good card but the double green is hard when you have 12 colorless lands. even with Dryad of the Ilysian Grove.
- The two card combo is good and game winning however you dont have a strong engine to draw until its later in the game. The soonist you are casting greater good is turn 4. Once and Stirrings help as well but you might want more, being once can only find one part.
1 month ago
1 month ago
car- personally i like crumble of dust... tron would be wrecked, and a few other decks.