Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Creature — Elf Scout
When Sylvan Ranger enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
1 year ago
Alright let's get dorky. So you want more consistent game and early game. I like your mana ramp and some big boys, I just feel you don't have the early game, you wait for your own board state to get big but only have counter spells to remove threats.
My first list of cards I think can be removed for either lower cost cards or the effects arnt good enough. Urban Evolution to much mana for 3 card draw, the extra land drop isnt enough to justify the mana cost. Seer's Sundial is decent but the recuring cost will slow you down. But with a card like Horn of Greed ,everyone getst the card draw but you should be hitting a land drop every turn realistically. Horn of Greed isnt good with cards that put them onto the battlefield, but playing additional lands will trigger it multiple times for you, free effect for doing what your commander does. it will pay for itself in two turns. Acidic Slime its just slow,I like this better than itWickerbough Elder. Reclamation Sage is better and often the land doesnt matter unless its super competative. or Beast Within will help you with the land removal. meh Stumpsquall Hydra do you really need your CMDR bigger?? slow Sporemound Elder Deep-Fiend meh? like any combos or anything with this? Sharktocrab its cool, but you can only do the effect once, and you dont care about counters, but i see its good for the octopus creature type. Stormtide Leviathan often shoots people in their own foot if you dont have the bottom requirement on your creatures.
lands I dislike,Vivid Creek Vivid Grove tapped and only good for two turns? lands I like are Evolving Wilds Simic Growth Chamber Thornwood Falls Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer better version below. Below link are slow fetches if money is a concern, but you can run them outside your color because they dont have the mana symbol, to bad you can't run other bounce lands. https://www.mtglands.com/main-slowfetches.html https://tappedout.net/mtg-questions/bounce-lands-outside-commanders-color-identity/
Decent cards to replace with Hydra Broodmaster. Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar If you go graveyard recursion consistently she isn't bad Titania, Protector of Argoth if youre using fetches and such. If you do graveyardWorld Shaper The Mending of Dominaria Springbloom Druid early blocker,Harrow Crop Rotation crop R triggers your commander and only costs one. for any land. Zendikar's Roil this doesnt get removed by board clears and makes bigger than 1/1 spores.
Skyshroud Claim any forests. if you do dual shock lands. Fabled Passage if you have the $$$. Myriad Landscape if no $$$. Slippery Karst its good with graveyard synergy but often its cycled unless you need it the first few turns to get to land searches like Cultivate
The best card you should get Azusa, Lost but Seeking Roil Elemental Rapid Hybridization one cost removal of commander worth it. Tatyova, Benthic Druid you need cards that do similar effects as your commander so they cant just shut your deck down with one removal of your CMDR.
To battlefieldWood Elves Farhaven Elf and to hand Sylvan Ranger Ulvenwald Hydra these early game guys get you lands and can chump block, which means you block them with anything big they throw at you, assuming it doesn't have trample
Plenty of more expensive fixes but this is a good start, Let me know if you got some $$$ so I can recommend that. Most these cards should be under 10$ ish.
1 year ago
Callous Bloodmage feels a bit slow for the deck because I have better things to recur at my end step that will keep the deck online. I swapped Yavimaya Granger in for Sylvan Ranger pretty quickly and am trying to find places to slot in your other recommendations. How useful do you really think Lurking Predators would be in my deck, cuz I run 43 creatures and most of them are small besides the big guys like AVG, Ravenous Giganto, and Protean Hulk
1 year ago
If I have 2 Omen Machine and cast a Sage of Epityr or Sylvan Ranger from the first Oman Machine, do I rearrange the top four cards or search for a land before the next Omen Machine trigger’s or do I finish all Omen Machine triggers before using the creature ETB triggers?
1 year ago
As for things to cut, here is my list-
Cards to definitely cut- 1) Abomination of Llanowar he's just a big, dumb of elf with a target on his back for removal. There are better options. At least Drove of Elves has hexproof, but I wouldn't even play that. The only one I'd play is Jagged-Scar Archers, and that's because of its utility against flyers.
2) Elvish Rejuvenator He gets a land, but doesn't actually ramp you. And that is if you get a land- you might whiff. You have better options. If you really want this effect Sylvan Ranger costs one less mana and is guaranteed to not whiff.
3) Eyeblight Cullers 5cmc is just too much for something that only gives you three tokens on its death, and you have no mill synergy.
4) Golgari Findbroker This card was made for draft. It just costs too much for what it does. Its not just the four cmc, 2 and 2 is a high opportunity casting cost.
5) Harald, King of Skemfar He's basically a 3/2 with menace that replaces himself. The clause on Tyvar might seem good if you add him (which is good idea, btw- he'll be worth it even if he doesn't stick around too long), but even then you have to remember that he won't find Tyvar the majority of the time. Again, its nice he replaces himself and gives you some selection, but there are better options.
6) Jaspera Sentinel Dorks are great, but you have to tap two creatures for one mana, which is a bad rate in elves. There are better dorks suggested above.
7) Masked Admirers This is one of those cards that Wizards stuffs into every precon conceivable, even though its bad in most of them. We don't need it here.
8) Thornbow Archer He's only draining one life for each time he attacks. That isn't enough to justify his slot.
9) Voice of Many You get maybe three cards for four mana at most? He's not the worst and he does draw cards, but I've never liked him.
10) Voice of the Woods This might sound like a good use of your elves, but its better to pump your elves than to use them to summon elementals. Plus he costs five to cast.
11) Tergrid's Shadow We have a joke about this card in our playgroup, but in general it isn't what we want. Letting your opponents pick what they sacrifice means you'll rarely hit the thing you need to get rid of. You might as well just play Doom Blade or any other premium removal card in these colors. There are a lot!
12) Poison the Cup They just put this in the precon because foretell was a Kaldheim theme, but there are so many cheap (both in real world and mana cost) black removal cards that this one shouldn't make the cut.
14) Return Upon the Tide This just costs too much mana, and you have other better recursion pieces out there.
Cards to think about removing
1) Serpent's Soul-Jar This card could be good, but could also be a trap. Your graveyard is a resource, and exiling everything from it prevents mass recursion. Also, your opponents can target this with removal and you'll never get your stuff back. I'd probably just play Haunting Voyage, Patriarch's Bidding, and Living Death to get your goodies back for more fun!
2) Twinblade Assassins He does draw cards, and is probably at least as good as Phyrexian Arena while he lives. So you might keep him, but he costs 5cmc, so if you have enough card draw you might want to cut him.
4) Nullmage Shepherd This can allow us to remove problematic stuff. But tapping four elves is a bigger cost than we often want to pay. Something to think on.
5) Sylvan Messenger Again, this card does get us some draw, much like Lead the Stampede which I used to play does. I've just never found it good enough to include though. Nonetheless, you want at least ten pieces of draw, and this does count as that!
6) Eyeblight Massacre This will kill a lot of stuff, but will often leave what you most need to kill alive. Ezuri's Predation is a recently reprinted board wipe that is now more affordable and will wreck your opponents while leaving your stuff intact. In Garruk's Wake and Plague Wind cost a 25 cents each and will hose everyone but you, and because you are playing elves you can afford their cmc!
7) Ruthless Winnower Having played against this card I can attest that it is annoying, but your opponents will often kill it before it can have too much impact. If it were a lower cmc it would be a guaranteed in, at least it will take the heat off of more important cards. It is high at 5cmc though. Keeping it might be the right choice, but I'd at least consider it.
2 years ago
With all the permanents you have already that pump up your power and toughness, I think you can get away with cutting Overrun and Triumph of the Horde. Yes, TotH gives infect; but with all the Elf token makers you have, most of the time you'll kill off your opponents' life before you draw the card.
Another you can cut is Beast Within. If you're using it to sacrifice an elf, Your ability to create a lot of elf tokens negates the need. Opponents' board wipes will better feed your aristocrat permanents.
Cut these three and adding lands will depend on your average CMC per card. My advice is to replace Explosive Vegetation and Skyshroud Claim and replace them with less expensive Elves that tutor lands. They include, but are not limited to, Greenseeker, Sylvan Ranger and Wood Elves. It's not two lands on the battlefield, but you'll make up for it with a land earlier in the game and an elf.
Thank you for reading me out. I hope this helps. Happy Hunting!
2 years ago
My all-time favorite is probably Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant Flip. A deck using her plays rather different from most decks, and I like that. For this deck, I play a lot of cards that allow you to get lands into your hand, such as Winding Way or Nylea's Intervention . You can even run cards like Sylvan Ranger so that you're not completely vulnerable while you're trying to reach that seven-lands-in-hand clause. When you're able to flip Sasaya, you can use cards like Book of Rass or Abundance to draw into nonland cards that you can actually play. I like using cards like Goblin Cannon , Ant Queen , or Hydra Broodmaster to close out the game. Due to the fact that you're running more lands than you'd run in your typical EDH deck, the price of the deck is already a little lower. But yeah, this is one of my favorites!
2 years ago
Hi Profet93. Thanks for dropping by and for the great suggestions.
About Deflecting Swat , yes, I've been considering to remove Red Elemental Blast to try it out. However, almost all combo decks in my area use blue to finish off the table. It has been a tough choice but I will definitely find a spot for the Swat.
About card draw, yes, this is a tough spot. Life's Legacy but being sorcery speed while requiring sacrifice as a cost really hurts in my area, had too many 2 for 1s against counterspells and Notion Thief , also many of my beaters are often responded to during combat so I found myself with nothing to sac before I end my turn. Momentous Fall has allowed me to circumvent that a lot.
I am currently considering Reforge the Soul and Skullclamp (now that you suggested it). I think the later could be very useful, I could add Elvish Visionary and Sylvan Ranger to have mlre targets and help thin my deck further, those happen to be elves too so they would even help Titania.
A typical turn 1 to 4 secuence is T1 Dork T2 another dork /ramp / Tomb, T3 Xenagod, T4 Malignus / Phyrexian Hydra / Pathbreaker / Scourge of the Throne to try to kill someone and then move in to the next target. Combos start appearing on turn 5 but are not a main wincon here.
I used to run Yavimaya Hollow long ago, but for some reason it feels it worked better on decks such as Ruric Stax or Yisan for me. In addition to the Moon package factor, I rarely found myself with enough open mana to activate Hollow. Not that I ever felt like I truly needed it anyways.
I love Elder Gargaroth . However, the Hydra has been one of my best win conditions in spite of the hate it can pull. Being paired with Xenagod really helps. Also, I don't really have that many ways to kill multiple opponents at once. So I'd like to run both beaters first and see how well that goes.
Feel free to continue thr discussion, this has beem quite useful.
3 years ago
Based on my first impression of the deck list:
I am not sure about things like Gargos, Vicious Watcher and Apex Altisaur in the deck...Gargos wants spells that target him and you play 7. Altisaur wants to be delt damage, and if you're wasting your fight triggers on that, it feels kind of bad (especially since you're not playing many). That goes double for Stuffy Doll.
You're not gonna like this, but your hardcore focus on 'can't be countered' effects is a bit much. They're super narrow and not as helpful as you think. Most blue decks even play other colors that those cards will do nothing against, or even play relatively few counterspells in total. That slot is then wasted against a.) all your other opponents and b.) 90% of the blue deck. If you really want that style of effect, instead of Gaea's Herald and Destiny Spinner (who don't save your big non-creature spells from counters), I would run the much more versatile Veil of Summer and Red Elemental Blast/ Pyroblast instead.