|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Rare|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Angel
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||rebelteddybear , acbooster , Wazerwifle , Supremespeed , Swamy , , Spinalripper , miracle , Skydra2 , sonnet666 , mziter501 , Kimimaro , LoneCrusader399 , Ellyreia , Dr_Jay , fireborne1986|
Reya Dawnbringer Discussion
2 days ago
you could also take the reanimator approach by filling your graveyard up with cards like Buried Alive or Entomb, or discard outlets like Fauna Shaman/Survival of the Fittest or even something like Insidious Dreams, then bringing them onto the battlefield with cards like Reanimate, Exhume, Living Death, or maybe even a Sheoldred, Whispering One/Reya Dawnbringer to get something every turn.
2 days ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
elgosu1337 on Angel
3 days ago
Emeria Shepherd is great for bringing back angels that died. Reya Dawnbringer is also good if you can skip the casting cost with Kaalia's ability. Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and Angelic Skirmisher help a lot with combat.
1 week ago
Emeria, The Sky Ruin is another easy swap in place of on of your plains to help keep your hitters around as well.
Normally it's a bit of a dead drop since you only have 2-3 more plains in the deck after it hits the table but with you running 19 here it's a very viable reanimator for you that'll stick around a bit longer than something like Reya Dawnbringer since land destruction is usually frowned upon.
1 month ago
hi txorimalotripodea, thank you for the inputs! had them all in there in the draft version, but they fell off whilst cutting to 100 cards. Reya Dawnbringer and Faith's Reward are the ones for the recurrence so far. but if they dont work out as intended, Ill switch and fiddle around :)
1 month ago
First off I want to say that I greatly appreciate the time you took to make such an in-depth comment and make suggestions; so thank you!
Im glad to hear that you like the concept, it's been difficult to decide how to try and make Ms. Elenda, the Dusk Rose since she seems so non-commander focused with that death clause. But regardless...
Thank you for the heads up on those cards (Debtors' Knell, Reya Dawnbringer ect.) It's nice to get info before getting the cards and from someone who's used them, especially if they don't seem to pull their weight. And the catch for Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker, you're totally right, i didnt even think about that.
I'm going to add most of what you suggested to the deck list, (some of these cards I've never even seen) since they all look really good.
Thank you again!
1 month ago
Hi, first off I'd like to say that I love the concept of this deck and many of the choices in it. I do have a few suggestions that I feel would make this list a bit stronger.
Firstly, I have a few suggestions for your reanimation package. While Debtors' Knell, Reya Dawnbringer, and Sheoldred, Whispering One are objectively strong cards, in my experience I've found them lacking. Your mileage may vary but for me they often eat removal before they can really get to work, thus not making them worth the mana investment in my eyes. I'm also not entirely sure if Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker works with Elenda or not. I think her power needs to be 1 or less as she's leaving and if she's buffed with a bunch of counters I don't think she'll get the reanimation trigger.
All of those previous cards I mentioned I would suggest cutting. Luckily this color pairing offers a myriad of quality replacements that are efficient and affordable. Animate Dead is a classic choice for graveyard recursion and is quite versatile as it hits every graveyard. Victimize might be up your alley as it can double as a sacrifice outlet, only not for Elenda. Unburial Rites is another quality recursion spell since it has flashback, so you can get Elenda back twice with the same card, or hold it up in your graveyard for another creature. There are also a few good single-use spells in both colors, namely Zombify, Resurrection, Breath of Life, False Defeat and Miraculous Recovery (this last one might be of particular interest due to its instant speed and +1/+1 counter synergy). Depending on your budget I would also suggest Necromancy.
May I also recommend Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter over Curse of the Cabal? Both seem to serve a similar purpose, but I think Vish Kal fits your strategy better. He gets +1/+1 counters from being a sacrifice outlet, and can use those counters as removal.
I hope this was of some help. I really like this deck's concept and these are just my suggestions for it. Happy brewing!