|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Hope of Ghirapur
Legendary Artifact Creature — Thopter
Sacrifice Hope of Ghirapur: Until your next turn, target player who was dealt combat damage by Hope of Ghirapur this turn can't cast noncreature spells.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (40)||unnaturalelementals , acbooster , voidruby , joshw335 , Atroxreaper , Grantley91 , KB2187 , Lucretian , sneferie , Vasbear1 , davidmassee , gildan_bladeborn , killstars , Spinalripper , duff87 , LegendDeer , AllDayTayTay , Candyman949 , MattN7498 , Wolfebladeelite , mcstang1986 , itheoryz , Unlife , Bluboltar , rdean14 , sonnet666 , bakeraj4 , PTsmitty , firemind12 , TheRealSpecialK , Mortiferus_Rosa , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , ZombieFood , TheRealPeaches , MagnaAura , Skulldrey , hippienproud , Big-Foot , , GeminiSpartanX|
|Want (27)||THP88 , buildingadeck , TheGreatLiar , marsp44 , metalevolence , Ariumlegion , DarthinvaderIX , pphhaazzee , bbtancakes , SAT586 , EdenGardenz , Typpaostur , shootersam12 , Linx1550 , Calanor , notsaying , TotalSundae , Cauthan , yodazach , Tomorinot , SweetMermaidPuss , TheFanatic , afretz , EcSamuel , relyks16 , Turtlelover73 , RoninH3RO|
Hope of Ghirapur Discussion
12 hours ago
I will try to give suggestions on cutting cards from your deck, oh man it won't be easy:
About Apprentice Necromancer - Faerie Macabre (and other powerful GY hate spells) is a nasty thing, without a doubt, for a deck which uses graveyard for all those engines, chains and piles. But if you play reanimator deck in GY hate heavy meta, then you should be ready for things like that, and play around it. The resolution of Apprentice Necromancer ability can be disrupted (like almost any other spell/ability), but when it will resolve, you will be glad that you have him in the deck. So, what to cut? I would easily cut Reclamation Sage for Apprentice, cuz I think that Sage is really slow as an answer in fast combo decks and hurts more when you fetch it with Ad Nauseam. Another option, and maybe it will surprise you, but I would consider cutting Birthing Pod. I think its pretty slow and situational. And I don't see any chains with it, that can untap it for repeatable activations, or maybe I just don't see it. In case you don't want to lose the sac outlet, consider using Blasting Station instead, it fulfils the same role, and if you crack Hulk with it and go for your Renegade Rallier + Saffi Eriksdotter line, you will win on the spot.
Hope of Ghirapur/Blood Pet - candidates for cut: I agree with you about Krosan Grip, I would definitely cut it, but maybe you should leave this cut for Assassin's Trophy? Autumn's Veil is another card that I would cut for Hope or BPet.
Mana Vault - cutting lands is a painful process. To determine whether it is worth it or not is possible only in the process of many tests, so go ahead and try.
Culling the Weak - how about to cut Angel's Grace? Just try to remember how often you had to cast this spell? Whether it was always helpful sitting in your hand, and how often you used a tutor to fetch it?
Well, I ran out of ideas. Hope all this will help to make some decisions.
1 day ago
Thanks for the upvote! Love the suggestions that you recommended, some of them I tried before but I would like to hear your mindset on them!
- I did run Apprentice Necromancer in here before but was cut because it was a bit too telegraphed and my meta does run a lot of graveyard hate, especially Faerie Macabre. I get why you would run it as it sacs at end step as well, but should I reconsider running it again?
- Hope of Ghirapur/Blood Pet I see the reason and I like it, but what slots can be cut or replaced to run these? Currently I see the weakest card in here is Krosan Grip due to curve and meta call against Paradox Engine decks.
- Mana Vault I think the original reason why I chose not to run it is because of the CMC curve and the heavy color requirements on black/green. I thus changed it into an Ad Naus deck so the burst is helpful, it bears consideration and I might cut a land for it, thoughts?
- Culling the Weak I really like this card...like really do, but I as with the problem above, I have no idea what to cut it out for.
- I did consider Recruiter of the Guard before, but having access to Black/Green it had gotten outclassed and cut by better tutors to lower curve. I also used to run her, just currently too high CMC and not enough slots to fit her in.
- Yeah the only reason I run Zulaport Cutthroat over Blood Artist is due to the target a player clause and because it drains which goes over certain cards like Glacial Chasm and the likes. I used to run both, but when your combo-ing off early game it doesn't matter, so I agree with your point and I'll make that switch!
Excellent points and suggestions I appreciate them very much, would you let me know what cards that you see that are too weak or can be cut to replace the cards you suggest.
1 day ago
These are all pretty good suggestions. This is definitely more of a checklist of cards to put into the deck and not a finished list, I don't have near enough stand-alone recursion to bring Alesha back when she inevitably gets eaten by removal spells.
The lands on this list are strictly lands I own right now, but certainly would love to have the lands you mentioned plus the scry-lands like Temple of Malice
Card draw is indeed an issue, however Faithless Looting is possibly the most tool-boxy card draw specifically for Alesha because this deck doesn't want to hard-cast cards like Archetype of Finality or some of the other higher cmc creatures. As as is Black's fashion, using the graveyard as a second hand is a thing in this deck.
Break Through the Line is a great suggestion, I can't remember why it isn't on this list. but it should definitely be there. Victimize, Buried Alive, and Diabolic Intent are also all good too, and they also might have a place in the final iteration of the deck.
As for board wipes, i have a thing where I would like 5 in every deck I build, so I would actually add in more!
And finally Village Bell-Ringer is actually in my list because it is an immediate 2-card combo with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, so yes, definitely worth a slot in the 99 with Selfless Spirit. I do like the Hope of Ghirapur for some player-targeting potential too!
1 day ago
I love good reanimator decks, so +1 from me!
Here are some suggestions that You can consider:
- Apprentice Necromancer - at first glance, this card seems slow, but given that we can sacrifice Rector and Hulk with his ability right out of the GY makes him a decent tool. I run this guy in both my reanimator decks with Hulk, Rector and Razaketh and it is always useful.
- Hope of Ghirapur - after several tests I found out that Hope is a greate anticontroll card, and it has a powerful synergy with Pattern of Rebirth. Actually, there is another creature which loves to be enchanted with Pattern - Blood Pet
- Mana Vault - a decent ramp card for playing key cards of the deck like: Ad Nauseam, Buried Alive, Pattern of Rebirth, Natural Order, Birthing Pod, Academy Rector, Karmic Guide, Reveillark and Protean Hulk ASAP.
- Culling the Weak - powerful ramp card and a great sac outlet for Hulk and Rector, in some situations can save your key creatures from exiling
- Have you considered Recruiter of the Guard? It seems like he can fetch a lot of your stuff, and maybe even create some chains.
- Also, why do you use Zulaport Cutthroat over Blood Artist, is it because Artist targets a player? Artist seems better, because it prevents your opponents from winning with their recursion loops.
1 day ago
A few thoughts that you may want to consider. Some will have to be weighed against budget but I think they all bring the deck a little more of an edge. Alesha, Who Smiles at Death has to be a fast deck to be effective as she will quickly get burned out if things move too slowly for you.
Faster dual lands that don't come into play tapped give you an edge early game that is not to be underestimated. They are a little pricey but if you can grab them they will certainly up the pace. The pain lands Sulfurous Springs, Karplusan Forest, Caves of Koilos The filter lands Graven Cairns, Rugged Prairie, Fetid Heath The check lands Dragonskull Summit, Isolated Chapel, Clifftop Retreat Also Talisman of Indulgence is an pretty damn good budget mana rock in your colours.
Just a couple more card draw options Read the Bones and Painful Truths are both better than Cathartic Reunion in my opinion. Usually I wouldn't advocate for higher cost cards but Mardu suffers from card advantage and I think its worth it not to lose those two cards....or have to, at the very least, worry about recurring them.
Break Through the Line is an interesting enhancer you may want to consider
I am not sure you need so many board wipes. Even so I think Day of Judgment might be one to consider replacing a more mana intensive card
Village Bell-Ringer would be a good addition to keep your defenses up as you'll probably want to be attacking all the time. You also could consider Selfless Spirit to bolster you creatures in combat. Hope of Ghirapur can shut down an opposing player pretty hard if you can recur it
1 week ago
The release of guilds of ravnia inspired me to include a more robust sunforger package to playtest - for anyone following the decklist, I removed Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Hope of Ghirapur, Gift of Immortality, and Plains and replaced them with the following: Mistveil Plains Tithe Chance for Glory Angel's Grace. Preliminary testing results are good!
3 weeks ago
Thank you for clearing that up; I'm glad that we understand each other a bit better and were able to clarify the card interaction for the other posters here. The end result being that I incorrectly made an assumption about the usability of Hope of Ghirapur's sacrifice ability by likening it to Arcbound Ravager's. The rules you posted as evidence cleared things up nicely for everyone, myself included.
The internet is a funny thing without context or auditory cues/tones to give a voice to the text we write. Sorry for assuming that you were being snarky with the hyperlink. You brought up a fair point in how matter-of-fact I wrote the original response to lightninja7, so I'll make an effort to avoid repeating that without the evidence to back it up.
Also, I'll own up to it, total coincidence that the P.S.S. was sort-of applicable. Should have been P.P.S.
3 weeks ago
@SynergyBuild - While I may not have cited the official rules, I stated what I did based on similar artifacts, such as Arcbound Ravager which absolutely can sacrifice itself to it's own ability; the 2nd half of it's sacrifice clause not being able to put the counter on itself doesn't matter. While it's not targeting, the cost before the colon was paid and the ability resolves in the best way that it can, which for Ravager, it can't.
If that's not the case for Hope of Ghirapur, then that's all well and good, lesson learned.
I do find it interesting that you managed to pull a condescending/smart-ass tone out of what I said, since rereading it still just showed no malice or ill-mannered intent. That being said, you do you.
P.S. Extra edgy points for injecting your own snark by hyperlinking a magic card (Humility)in your words of wisdom. +10 cool points
P.S.S. Now I was being an ass