|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Anafenza, the Foremost
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
Whenever Anafenza, the Foremost attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on another target tapped creature you control.
If a creature card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
Anafenza, the Foremost Discussion
2 hours ago
shouldnt Anafenza, the Foremost (Razakats) be at least high power?
4 weeks ago
I think u got a similar story:
Back when I first started playing magic, specifically edh, I ran a Anafenza, the Foremost +1/+1 counters deck. One time, I was playing against a friend's super proxied deck. When I say super proxied, I mean it had about 500-600$ worth of cards proxied. The best of the best.
Everytime I laid down a threat, he killed it. Everytime I got a swing in, he managed to destroy it right afterwards or before. This happened up until turn 30 or so, a full hour in of back and forth. My board had about 5 tokens with +1/+1 counters on them and a High Sentinels of Arashin with 4 +1/+1 counters on it. His board had 30 zombie tokens which just entered the battlefield. He was at 10 life (he used Necropotence since pretty much the beginning of the game) and I was at 5.
So I was worried I was gonna lose cause next turn he could swing at me and kill me when I noticed something. I asked "Do you have any fliers?" Before swinging with my Sentinels.
Don't give up, swing with your High Sentinels.
1 month ago
goat tribes without the primal Goat? Zodiac Goat
You can play some of the Kirin creature type too, they're kinda Weeaboo Goat Alabaster Kirin
Also Anafenza, the Foremost , big goat on the illustration, can't pass on that (maybe even a better commander if you wanna go on full goat Theme)
1 month ago
And I guess I would make Anafenza, the Foremost your commander since she can come out pretty early.
As for Mana ramp I would recommend Smothering Tithe since it will give you treasures for color fixing and mana ramp. But you also have access to green so make sure to use spells like Kodama's Reach and Rampant Growth to get more lands onto the battlefield.
Stuff that all commander deck need are removal so make sure to add Swords to Plowshares and other pieces of single target removal and since you are in white and black toss one or two boardwipes in the deck in case things get out of hand.
1 month ago
Well i didn't see problems with going full on hatebears on my sideboard.
The benefit of getting your cards when you need them is hard to overstate, a reliable turn 2 scooze can be very hard to beat for storm - and its far better, than 1x relic, 1x surgical, and 1x damping sphere. Of course you can add stuff like Anafenza, the Foremost , Samurai of the Pale Curtain or Dryad Militant if you feel like needing more hate on the yard.
If you go with card draw instead of poor old
, you will be able to recover from boardwipes much more easily.
Probably the most obvious option to compliment them are the various bloodrush (and some evoke) cards, that can be cheaply spent to empty your hand, synergize well with an aggressive gameplan and are doing something if the game goes longer. Fauna Shaman is bad because, it gets killed by all the removal (other than Gut Shot ), and also gets eaten by counterspells - while instant/sorcery based card draw can only be caught with counterspell, which are rarely played at the moment.
Lead the Stampede is likely better choice for your deck, since your doesn't really benefit from ramping into high mana counts, as much as mine, and your creature base is less centered around creating added value on being sacrificed.
can help a LOT in finishing games in a timely manner, not to mention the keywords on
Evoke creatures can be even better as they often offer very unique benefits like Briarhorn 's flash, as it allows you to use the card to protect against damage based removal, and evolving them onto the field still gets all the value u could wish for, as you will get both the discount body, and the effect, the rest of the best are probably Glarewielder , Spitebellows (could be a sideboard allstar) & Faultgrinder to increase the effectiveness of Magus of the Moon
1 month ago
Hello, I stumbled across your deck and I couldn't help but notice that your goal for the deck is very brood and there may be better color combinations or creature types depending on what you want. If you want to Do krakens like you said in your description maybe you should look into Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle and just drop white as there are no beneficial sea creatures in the color. If you want to do a Buffcreatures deck maybe you would enjoy a +1/+1 counter deck Anafenza, the Foremost would be a better commander for the color and buffs your creatures better than your current commander. IF you dont exactly want to do +1/+1 counters you could always run Xenagos, God of Revels as your commander to beat face real quickly. If you want a control deck with big creatures you could have Arcades, the Strategist who lets your weponize your walls and draw lots of cards while also giving you many control options. If you decide to go with arcades I have a list here that you can check out to get some inspiration.The Crumbling Walls of Death.... If you have any other questions dont be afraid to ask questions.
1 month ago
Like Sisay, but More Colors
Back in My Day They Were Just Creatures!
Those Who Forget History are Doomed to Lose to it.
RIP Kamigawa (Legend Tribal)
Saskia: the Stuff of Legends
Big Sassy's Legendary Horde (note: Big Sassy as a nickname for Saskia can be used in any of these names)
Legendary Night at Saskia's Bar
History Has its Eyes on You (it's a musical reference, if you don't get it)
That's all I got for names- this one was tough! Now, suggestions:
Adun Oakenshield is okay recursion, Anafenza, the Foremost is a good body, Captain Lannery Storm is good ramp, Dosan the Falling Leaf is good against control, Grand Warlord Radha is great ramp, Hua Tuo, Honored Physician is good recursion, Isamaru, Hound of Konda is a gud boi (and a one-drop), Kambal, Consul of Allocation is good taxation without representation, Karador, Ghost Chieftain is SICK and also very flavorfully appropriate for this deck, Kothophed, Soul Hoarder is great draw, Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip is a good body, Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist is good protection, Ravos, Soultender is good recursion, Rhonas the Indomitable is good but you'll have to see if you like God-Eternal Rhonas better (I like OG Rhonas better unless your repeating God-Eternal's ETB), Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper is good block deterrence, one of the Tajics ( Tajic, Blade of the Legion or Tajic, Legion's Edge ), both are good bodies, Tana, the Bloodsower is good body + chump blockers, Tariel, Reckoner of Souls is good recursion, Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor is good fun, and Zurgo Helmsmasher is a surprisingly fun political piece.
Also, I'd really recommend you include planeswalkers, and also you're running two Selvalas and two Odrics.
2 months ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
Anafenza, the Foremost occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.02%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%