|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Lore||Mythic Rare|
|Betrayers of Kamigawa||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put two charge counters on Umezawa's Jitte.
Remove a charge counter from Umezawa's Jitte: Choose one —
- Equipped creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
- Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
- You gain 2 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||warcry02 , tragic_slip , gosora , meowCat1234 , cryptoplasm , dexxter7 , RubyStrings|
|Want (4)||TheRealPeaches , GeminiSpartanX , Grantley91 , Forkbeard|
Umezawa's Jitte Discussion
1 week ago
KeelHaul10: Honestly? I've just found that it's somewhat irrelevant. My deck's built to work around the sweeper (lots of protection and expendable creatures) so it never harms me too much TBH.
Also, I'd prefer Rune-Tail's Essence :)
...seriously, though, why do people keep telling me to remove O-Naginata? It's simply one of the best cards in this deck, and allows many of the most explosive wins (simply because of its absurdly low mana:effect ratio). I'd cut Umezawa's Jitte or Sunforger before I'd cut O-Naginata haha.
1 week ago
Also Umezawa's Jitte if your budget increases.
1 week ago
If you're not limited by the budget, I'd suggest the Swords and Umezawa's Jitte. However limited you are though, I'd suggest Kor Duelist. With anything he becomes quite useful, but with the swords or Umezawa's he's a monster!
2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for the praise and the nice suggestions, nighthawk8!
Yes I agree and I am really trying to find the sweet spot between strong, flavourful and fun to play with this deck.
I'll comment on all of your suggestions below. Short version: I'll definitely try Smuggler's Copter, Umezawa's Jitte and Thieves' Fortune. Some of the others (like Duskmantle Seer, Thopter Spy Network, Notion Thief and Drana, Liberator of Malakir will go into my "Maybeboard" because there could be a spot for them in the future. The rest of the cards was already in an earlier version of the deck and did not work well enough.
Detailed comments on the suggestions Show
- Smuggler's Copter: I haven't thought about that card yet but you are right: art, style and functionality fit very well! I can crew it with Sygg, River Cutthroat so it is easy to get both the loot and draw triggers in turn 3.
- Thopter Spy Network: This is an interesting card and the abilities would fit very well. I think I excluded it early because I did not use to play as many artifacts as today. I'll have to check how often I have an artifact in play to decide on this -> otherwise I risk having a dead card in my hand / play.
- Duskmantle Seer: I like the style of this card a lot. a 4/4 flying for 4cmc is also solid. He lacks an enter the battlefield ability and rogue creature type but he might be worth a slot, especially because his draw ability can trigger Syggs draw ability (would be much better if the ability would tigger in my opponents upkeeps though).
- Marang River Prowler: This one was in an early version of the deck. I also thought that he would be a boss but unfortunately he did not deliver what I expected. The problem is: I can't cast him before turn 3 and then he does not deal enough damage to trigger Sygg. Also I can usually keep a few creatures back in my hand so I do have replacement ready if one of my creatures dies. And if the board gets wiped I also can't cast him because I have almost no black non-creature permanents in the deck..
- Notion Thief: This guy is really cool, it lets me steal card draws (which is something I can't steal yet!). I had him in the deck for a short time but was unable to get any value out of him.. But I should probably give him another try, especially in multiplayer games where he can get a ton of value.
- Whispersilk Cloak: This one has some nice flavour but otherwise it does not work in this deck: for this cmc and equip costs my rogues do always prefer a knife (or sword).
- Dimir Cutpurse: The lack of evasion limits the usefulness of this otherwise cery cool card.
- Thieves' Fortune: Yes! I can't really remember why this card isn't in the deck at the moment because it is so cool! I'll try to find a slot for it again.
- Umezawa's Jitte: This card would probably fit very well for both flavour and efficiency. I did not consider it yet because it does not grant any bonus to power when you first attack with it. But it is very versatile and I'll probably give it a try if I happen to get my hands on one.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: This is an interesting choice, because it could allow me to turn an unimpressive board into a lethal thread after a few turns.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: I had her in a earlier version of the deck. I do really love the card (I do also play her as a commander [Thassa, God of Tentacles EDH]) but she did not shine in this deck. She takes away too much tempo (I need to play something that deals damage on turn 3 if possible), almost all creatures do already have evasion and she made Sygg a target because of his 2 devotion. I'll keep her in mind though, might even give her an other try.
2 weeks ago
1/ You have to have a very good excuse NOT to play blue and Force of Will in Legacy.
2/ The best thing I can think of is Mardu Taxes:
4 Aether Vial
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Mother of Runes
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Stoneforge Mystic
3 Magus of the Moon
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Dark Confidant
3 Recruiter of the Guard
Something like that. Keep in mind, I just made this up.
2 weeks ago
I think you have a couple of problems with this deck.
First: too many creatures.
Second: Too few equipment cards.
You want to draw cards of your equipment, chaining one into the next. But with 9 pieces of equipment, you'll on average draw equipment one out of every 6 cards. This also affects Militant Inquisitor - you don't get it to be huge creature, because you rarely have more than 2 or 3 equipments in play.
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer seems to be a win-more card. More expensive to play than the rest of your creatures, only works if you already have a pile of both creatures AND artifacts in play.
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx doesn't get to give you much more mana than another land would. Not much devotion to anything in a deck with small creatures and artifacts.
Mikaeus, the Lunarch, 3 of the Deflecting Palms and Thalia, Heretic Cathar doesn't really work with the rest of the deck. Consider exchanging them for 3 Sram, Senior Edificer, 1 Puresteel Paladin and some better equipment. I doubt you'll get to equip and unequip Sunforger more than a couple of times, and certainly not enough to justify 4 Deflecting Palm - which you also don't need 4 of, since you can tutor it with Sunforger. You could also consider Relic Seeker or Steelshaper's Gift for tutoring out the equipment you need.
You have a couple of things in your maybeboard, that look good... and a couple of things, that aren't in modern (Sol Ring, Umezawa's Jitte). Batterskull is fine and so is any and all Swords of X and Y.
2 weeks ago
I've been running TRAIN on my playgroup with my Atraxa Stax. The culture of my meta is mostly geared towards using overpowered Goodstuff that synergizes with weird commanders...it's like a logic puzzle, y'know? Anyway, here's my general advice:
-Improve mana rocks. I would immediately pop out Fellwar Stone and Commander's Sphere. There's too many EDH-legal cards with the word "mox" or "lotus" in their names that will get you running much faster than either of those.
-Your arsenal of spot-removals may be a little excessive. Spot removal shouldn't be as important in this deck, because if your deck's working right? No one will even be able to play anything worth removing. I like your use of Beast Within, I'm considering it for my brew. There are also a bunch of Planeswalkers with spot removal effects who then synergize with Atraxa's proliferation to still have value even after the initial target is destroyed.
-Not really sure what Secure the Wastes is doing for you. It's a solid card for sure, but if you're trying to counteract your Smokestack, you'd be better served by slow/steady token producers like Bitterblossom.
Exploration > Burgeoning, especially when you're already running Crucible of Worlds. There's a buncha other cool cards that work great with Crucible--Crop Rotation, Strip Mine, Wasteland, Mox Diamond...the list goes on.
If you're running Stasis, you absolutely need to be running Teferi, Temporal Archmage, Venser, the Sojourner, Derevi, Empyrial Tactician and Sword of Feast and Famine. Atraxa w/Sword + Stasis is usually a win-con by itself. Pentad Prism, Mana Bloom and Crystalline Crawler let you produce mana without tapping them, so they do UGLY things inside a Stasis-lock...at the very least, indefinitely prolonging the Stasis-lock. Idk what you'd cut for them, I'll link you to my brew at the bottom of this.
Also, you gotta get you some hatebears. Spirit of the Labyrinth slows down that asshole Doomsday + Laboratory Maniac combo everyone's running in "competitive" these days. Aven Mindcensor is my favorite, cuz fuck everyone else's tutors and fetchlands.
You got the Birds of Paradise which is totally essential. Noble Hierarch is another non-negotiable, and I've been giving serious thought towards adding Deathrite Shaman and Bloom Tender as well...and Umezawa's Jitte, just cuz proliferate and lethal commander damage.
Finally, and this was the thing that broke my heart when I was in your shoes--Freyalise's Winds isn't that strong. It removes "all wind counters" (not one) whenever shit would untap, so proliferating wind counters does a fat lotta nothing.
Hard Lock is the Staxatraxa shell I'm currently running, but I make little changes all the time.
If you see anything I could do better, don't be shy! I'm with you on this--Atraxa seems like a card with limitless potential, let's put our heads together and solve her.
2 weeks ago
I love your deck! I am a fan of decks that run flavorful cards over powerful cards, this is the most fun and satisfying way to build a Commander deck in my opinion. I mean, you don't play Commander to have the strongest deck but to have the most fun deck and get to play with your favorite cards from Magic's entire history you've always wanted to see shine.
Some Suggestions for your deck:
Thassa, God of the Sea - Evasion when needed and makes your draws smootherSmuggler's Copter - The name and mechanic fit the theme of the deck. It is evasive and triggers Sygg by itself.Thopter Spy Network - Fits Mechanically, maybe not rogueish enoughDuskmantle Seer - highly recommend him, you profit because of your low mana curve, also looks like a Rogue kindaMarang River Prowler - Rogue with RecursionNotion Thief- very flavorful, Rogue, ETB AbilityWhispersilk Cloak - flavorful and grants protection and unblockableDimir Cutpurse - no evasion but lets you draw a card and your opponent discardThieves' Fortune - a prowl version of Impulse (if you don't like to play the mainstream cards)Umezawa's Jitte - best equipment ever printed (not as good in Commander though)Drana, Liberator of Malakir - Helps you trigger SyggOther Cards: Nightveil Specter, Jhessian Thief, Vampire Nighthawk (just because of the art, but probably better not to include)
I hope I could give you some inspiration. I am also thinking about building a similar Sygg deck, but probably won't happen because I can't afford building multiple Commander decks at once.