Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord
Legendary Planeswalker — Sorin
+1: Target creature you control gains deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn. If it's a Vampire, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
+1: You may sacrifice a Vampire. When you do, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord deals 3 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker and you gain 3 life.
-3: You may put a Vampire creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord Discussion
1 week ago
Why only 1xsorin?
Sorin, Grim Nemesis or Sorin, Lord of Innistrad or Sorin, Solemn Visitor or Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord if you wanted to splice in some White through either Duel Lands or Artifacts. Hell, a couple Lotus Field s would work even Unknown Shores could do the trick.
Also, I'd trade in Barren Moor Bojuka Bog Castle Locthwain Piranha Marsh for 4x Westvale Abbey Flip They'll never see that coming and it plays into the story of Sorin, Lord of Innistrad and since the Shadowspear is made from pieces of the Helvault you could add one of them.
Indulgent Aristocrat , Vampire of the Dire Moon , & Vampire Outcasts I would personally replace them with 3x Bloodthirsty Aerialist s but they can be replaced with Knight of the Ebon Legion , Dark Impostor , & Child of The Night for a much better effect.
4 weeks ago
I'm thinking you could use Cauldron Familiar and Witch's Oven as a life gain engine to fuel your Bloodthirsty Aerialist . You also have enough cheap black creatures to ping someone with Ayara, First of Locthwain a few times per turn to help get +1/+1 counters on Knight of the Ebon Legion . Epicure of Blood and Vindictive Vampire might be good to add. Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord is going to help you power up your vampires and give them lifelink and deathtouch for the turn if they don't have it. Blood Burglar, Savage Gorger, and Dark Remedy would be my first cuts. I'd also see if there are good replacements for Disfigure and Sorin's Thirst.
1 month ago
I've heard of the Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord + Morophon combo - didn't know it was a thing in modern. My only issue with including it is that individually each card doesn't make much of an impact - Sorin doesn't do much for Slivers in general and my assessment of Morophon has not changed since I first saw it - within the context of this deck it's just a win more card. If I have the mana to cast it, then i'll likely be tapping out just to get it on the field. The deck relies on close to the ground creatures with plenty of interaction to support them. If i'm going to be playing anything that has a high CMC then it absolutely must guarantee that I am winning the game on that turn - Morophon doesn't do that. Great, now you make me miss Paradox Engine :(
1 month ago
1 month ago
I don't think it's wrong to have planeswalkers in the game per se, but I dislike the way they tend to warp games around them.
Because of the way planeswalkers work, they're guaranteed to get one loyalty ability off before passing priority if they resolve (barring other triggers etc). Usually one of their loyalty abilities generates card advantage, so even if immediately answered with a removal spell, you usually trade down in cards in doing so, unless you have the board presence to kill the walker without expending cards to do so.
This wouldn't really be a problem if:
- planeswalker removal was cheap and easy (so your tempo gain can outweigh the card disadvantage)
- planeswalkers were all high CMC permanents (high CMC permanents generally deserve immediate value)
- Direct planeswalker removal is usually constrained to black, and the spells that do are usually too inefficiently costed for eternal play (e.g. Hero's Downfall ). The best maindeckable walker answers are specifically BG (e.g. Assassin's Trophy ) with the occasional (less efficient) BR spell like Angrath's Rampage .
- Although walkers are technically open targets for direct damage, almost every single walker in existence can either escape Bolt range before passing priority, or generate card advantage so that Bolting them is a trade down in cards. This is a marked contrast to creatures - a substantial subset of competitive creatures are within Bolt range, and many can get Bolted without having generated card advantage first.
- White only removes walkers via its generic exile permanent effects, which are usually very inefficient to run many copies of (the best is Council's Judgment , a 3 mana sorcery, and is not available in Modern/Pioneer).
- These problems get exacerbated when the walkers are low CMC. Nobody really complains that Elspeth, Sun's Champion generates immediate value and is hard to directly kill - she's a 6-drop, one would hope you get some immediate value out of a 6-drop. But when we have Oko, Thief of Crowns doing similar things (generating immediate value + being very hard to kill) at 3cmc, then we suddenly start to notice how problematic our lack of strong answers to walkers become.
- Pithing Needle effects on walkers would be great, except not only are they pretty narrow, but don't fully shut down the WAR walkers with incredibly stupid one-sided static effects (hello Teferi, Time Raveler ), and look very silly in the face of multiple walkers. At least The Immortal Sun exists as a global walker activation blank...but at 6 mana...yeah no.
I could go on and on, but you get my point. We have 1 mana removal for every other nonland permanent type, and those other permanent types are still widely played; the fact that we lack 1 mana planeswalker removal (Bolt doesn't count the way it does for creatures) is incredibly stupid.
That being said, I sort of understand introducing walkers. They can be fun and interactive (let's be honest, the vast majority of walkers may technically have the issues I've described, but are just bad enough on the whole that nobody cares about them), and the ones that are archetype-enabling ( Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord is a fine example) instead of just generic slam-me-down-if-I'm-in-your-colors bombs are, in my opinion, a positive influence on the game.
They also have the benefits of:
- giving control decks a more reliable way to close the door (important given the massive threat power creep over the years)
- giving aggro/midrange decks threat diversification against control strategies
- giving players characters to identify and a connection to the lore
I think Liliana of the Veil has my vote for best powerful-but-fair planeswalker. She doesn't have insane loyalty numbers, she has BB in her mana cost (making her less splashable), the +1 is symmetrical (she's a build-around-me walker, not slam-me-if-you're-black walker), the -2 means she dies to a stiff breeze, and the ult, while powerful, isn't literally I-win-the-game.
2 months ago
So are you just using Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord for his first ability in this? It looks brutal but Sorin idk...
2 months ago
Here are some creature cards I'd like to add soon:
Dusk Legion Zealot , Cordial Vampire , Cruel Celebrant Knight of the Ebon Legion , Vampire of the Dire Moon , Changeling Outcast , Vampire Cutthroat , Duskborne Skymarcher . Lastly Purphoros, God of the Forge for amazing damage potential when i get the spare cash.
Some other cards I would like to get are the following:
Some Cards I'm considering:
Finally some Wishlist cards I hope to get sooner or later, but are more pricey:
3 months ago
This looks pretty interesting. I'd consider leaning into an entirely colourless package with tron lands, and use Fist of Suns , but the bringers deserve to see the light. There are a lot of 'cheat big stuff' shells out there. Being reanimator is likely the strongest option, and I might try the dice archetype's mana package, to just make a ton of mana. Far from the most fun.
Pentad Prism is used to power out ad-nausiem, and artifact ramp cards offer options.
The unique thing about the big changeling is that he can abuse tribal cards. So go tinker with that.
Call to the Kindred , Preeminent Captain , Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord , Incandescent Soulstoke , Summoner's Egg , Quest for Ula's Temple , Descendants' Path / Leaf-Crowned Elder , AEthermage's Touch , Fold into AEther , Braids, Conjurer Adept , Reason / Believe also works as topdeck control, Call of the Wild / Impromptu Raid , Thran Temporal Gateway Champion of Rhonas , Dubious Challenge , Neoform / Allosaurus Rider , Deathrender , Unexpected Results