Green creatures you cast cost less to cast.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, target creature you control gets +2/+2 and gains trample until end of turn. (It can deal excess combat damage to the player or planeswalker it's attacking.)
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Uncommon|
|Magic Game Night (GNT)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Rhonas's Monument Discussion
2 weeks ago
Interesting topic Ramble, I've been meaning to respond for the last day or two but have just been super busy, but let me provide a mana base formula I stumbled on a few years back after noticing a pattern in my deck building - might be something to try out and see if you find similar results, as I find it's very rare to get either flooded or mana screwed using this formula. I'll provide a couple of examples as well - more for the casual-competitive decks, as my cEDH decks don't always follow the formula as rigorously.
The basic formula for mana-producing lands is: Starting base of 30 mana-producing lands, plus additional lands equal to the CMC of your commander, plus additional lands equal to the average CMC of the deck, minus designated values for each mana rock, mana dork, mana spell and draw spell equal to or less than the CMC of the commander.
The first example is for my Zada, Hedron Grinder deck: Yada...Yada...Zada. In this case, the formula is 30 + 4CMC (commander) + 2.28 average CMC, or 36.28. I then subtract designated values for the following cards in the deck: -1.0 for Mana Crypt, -0.5 for Sol Ring (or any other 0 or 1 CMC rock), -0.25 for Thought Vessel (or any other 2 or 3 CMC rock), Battle Hymn, Brightstone Ritual, Traitorous Greed and Dockside Extortionist, and finally -0.10 for each of the draw spells in the deck: Accelerate, Boiling Blood, Crimson Wisps, Expedite, Fists of Flame, Stun and Renegade Tactics for a total reduction of 3.45 and a final value of 32.83 (rounded up to 33).
The second example includes a more aggressive reduction in mana-producing lands based on my Elf tribal Marwyn, the Nurturer deck: Elves Tap and Slap (Marwyn Tribal Counters). The formula here is 30 + 3CMC (commander) + 2.64 average CMC, or 35.64. I then subtract for the following cards: -0.50 for Sol Ring, -0.25 for Elvish Archdruid, Elvish Mystic, Fyndhorn Elves, Gyre Sage, Incubation Druid, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Visionary, Priest of Titania, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, Viridian Joiner, Wood Elves, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Rhonas's Monument, Gaea's Touch and Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. Finally, I subtract -0.10 for Elvish Visionary, Llanowar Visionary and Inspiring Call for a total reduction of 5.30 and a final value of 30.34 (rounded down to 30).
Although the reduction values could be considered a little arbitrary in certain deck concepts, this formula has held pretty accurate since I started keeping track of it. I hope you find this useful in the future, and happy brewing.
4 weeks ago
Helloo some reccomendations for improvements
2 months ago
I find it hard to justify Guardian Project, Rhonas's Monument, and The Great Henge, as my deck only truly has 26 creature cards, with a lot of token value being from sorceries or enchantments. I actually own all three of these cards but just didn't find much effective value in them, as their utility in practice just wasn't quite where I wanted them. Of the 26 nontoken creatures in the deck, not all are green. The great henge is also too expensive to use as early game ramp, and my deck has plenty ways of generating mana. I'd love to hear some counter-arguments for it though.
As for Risk Factor, I doubt the other players would rather let me draw three cards, rather than take 4 damage, which is very little in commander. I don't think I'd get what I'd want very much.
2 months ago
3 months ago
Before I dive into the responses, I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to comment.
- Emerald Medallion/Rhonas's Monument - bring in mono green, I have no way to search for these to get them out early and after turn 4 they really become a dead draw. The deck generates an insane amount of mana when I get going for better utility that I can use at any point in the game.
- Nyx Lotus - I hate that it enters tapped. I've been on the fence about it, and if I ever pull one or trade for one, I'll test it. It also runs counterintuitive to Collector Ouphe which I try to keep out as often as possible to hinder my playgroup.
- Bow of Nylea - deathtouch is rarely needed, Ohran Frostfang is ran mostly because of the passive draw ability it has. I am running this in my budget deck though since it doesn't generate mana like this version does. I do plan on testing it in this version eventually for the other abilities though.
- Brawn/Nylea, God of the Hunt/Nylea's Forerunner/Primal Rage/Roughshod Mentor - between kamahl and hoofy, these are unneeded.
- Citanul Hierophants/Cryptolith Rite - I ran hierophants for a long time when I first made the deck and eventually dropped it. Outside of my mana dorks, I dont tap the creatures for mana, so it just became unnecessary.
- Embodiment of Insight - I dont turn my lands into creatures unless absolutely necessary. So this doesn't really help my playstyle.
- Sword of the Animist - it's a great card, I just don't use equipment in this deck. No real reason for it, I dont even run Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves.
- Vivien's Arkbow/Elvish Piper - both on the list to playtest.
- Overwhelming Stampede/Overrun - ran stampede for years in the deck and eventually dropped it for more utility. My commander does overrun at instant speed so I wont waste a slot on the actual overrun card.
- Beastmaster Ascension - haven't really considered it to be honest. I dont need it offensively, but could be useful to help keep my mana dorks alive from mass damage spells. I'll have to play around with it.
- Rogue's Passage - unneeded. When I swing, I get through.
- Reliquary Tower - already in the deck.
- Pir's Whim - I just recently discovered this card for another deck and plan on playtesting it in this deck.
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary - on the maybe list, I'll eventually playtest it.
- Harmonize - I have better draw spells for only 1 additional mana.
Again, thank you for all the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.
3 months ago
I love this deck though i have to wonder why some cards are not in here if you could find room fair enough or if you though that this doesn't need them again fine. Emerald Medallion and/or Rhonas's Monument for cheaper spells and creatures now I know green can ridiculous amounts of mana so these are not the most important but the monument does give a creature a mini Overrun each time you cast a creature spell. Nyx Lotus which just a second slower Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx for more ramp, Bow of Nylea Which gives the passive ability of Ohran Frostfang as it never hurts to have redundancy a few time to have something to fall back on but also give you these really nice modal options the best for this deck are the add a +1/+1 counter on a creature each turn which helps trample, And the Put up to four target cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library in any order for reusable cards as I didn't see anything that lets you use the graveyard as a resource and like it been apart of every green deck I seen because of it utility. Things that give creatures trample other than your commander things like Brawn, Nylea, God of the Hunt, Nylea's Forerunner, Primal Rage or Roughshod Mentor things like that. Citanul Hierophants or Cryptolith Rite for more mana. Embodiment of Insight as it such has a high synergy level with your commander. Sword of the Animist for repeatable forest searching which also helps thin your deck so your draw abilites become more useful. Vivien's Arkbow or Elvish Piper for free creatures. Overwhelming Stampede as it has a great synergy with your commander. you mention over Overrun and that would be a great addition to this deck as would Beastmaster Ascension which I always seen as an auto include. May take out a forest for Rogue's Passage as unblockable creatures in decks like this are no joke. I would do the same for a Reliquary Tower for unlimited hand size, mostly for those people that are running forced draw card decks like Nekusar, the Mindrazer or similar decks. I would also run Pir's Whim for a few reason, 1. it give you the ability to search for a non-basic land, 2. it can target more than just one artifact or enchantment (though you don't get to choose) and 3. it a little politics to your deck you can make deals with other players so they can be friends instead of foes until you are ready to deal with them. And finally both Lifecrafter's Bestiary and Harmonize for more draw power
3 months ago
Another batch of cuttable creatures, the premise is simple either they don't progress counters plan or are too expensive for what they do: - Conclave Naturalists - Armorcraft Judge - Avatar of the Resolute - Nimbus Swimmer - Skatewing Spy - Tuskguard Captain - Blighted Woodland - AEtherize - Bow of Nylea - Uncage the Menagerie - AEtherspouts - Durable Handicraft - Hunt the Weak - Recross the Paths - Winding Way - Rhonas's Monument
5 months ago
Ok, this is pretty close to optimal, great job. Cards you might still consider: