|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
Noncreature spells cost more to cast.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||tragic_slip , Roadhog , Dr_Jay , jrschnoebelen , Nemesis , Falte , Auriel , jtaddeo , Randomdeath , thetechzombie , VGJustice , Caldazar , Justinaut , miracle , JAT0 , Fleshxandxbone , HydraOoze , TheAlmostHero , Dredgar , Vasbear1|
|Want (8)||samuelianstorm , dplerner , Qolorful , Spinalripper , acbooster , Vasbear1 , Poptartz95 , EnividWodahs|
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben Discussion
2 days ago
since you're running BOPs, maybe Gavony Township as a 1-of (i know you dont want many non-colored mana sources, but it could be another mana dump if youre stuck with some jank hand). Here's the changes i'd make:
-4 Rancor (love it, but begs to get 2-for-1'd, when most of your creatures are bolt-able and have no evasion or protection, otherwise and it makes BOP into an actual real creature late game), -1 Forest, +1 CoCo, +1 Kird Ape, +1 Gavony Township, +1 Dryad Arbor, +1 Loam Lion.
For SB options, i like Stony Silence, Ancient Grudge, and Smash to Smithereens (in that order) better than Nature's Claim. hell, i even like Naturalize or Disenchant better, tbh. i dont think 2 mana is out of the question. since you are playing a zoo variation, you arent likely to slam a bunch of 5+ power creatures at the opponent at once, so the 4 life gain might actually matter. idk. personal preference, i suppose. it is nice to have some enchantment removal as well in case of bogles, but that kind of depends on the meta.
With CoCo in your deck, your sideboard could be open to more tech creatures, instead of some of the spells/enchantments. like Spellskite for bogles, Vithian Renegades, War Priest of Thune, Reclamation Sage, and Viridian Shaman for artifact/enchantment hate, Lantern Scout, Kor Firewalker, or Lone Missionary for burn hate. or generally a bunch of random hatebears and miscellaneous stuff to cover your bases like Harsh Mentor, Loxodon Smiter, Tunnel Ignus, Aegis of the Gods, Hushwing Gryff, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Burrenton Forge-Tender, Qasali Pridemage, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Gaddock Teeg... Basically whatever your meta has a ton of going on, theres a creature version to hate on it. I'm a big fan of Rest in Peace because it totally bones a handful of decks, but if you're firing off Collected Companys, with your SB hate lost in your deck somewhere, you stand a much better chance of pulling it out, than if it were an enchantment.
Just some suggestions. love zoo. like the idea youve got with the dino and god in there. seems cool. +1
6 days ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
1 week ago
Mana Crypt is in the list. Mox Diamond will go in when I get one. Chrome Mox I own but I have struggled with adding, this deck struggles on having enough cards and racing to the extra mana I am not convinced is worth the average card in my hand. I will continue to keep it in consideration though.
Blood Moon, Ethersworn Canonist and Stony Silence can be very prohibitive to my own game plan. Null Rod has the same problem but has been considered as it is easier for me to get rid of when I need to. If I was to run Blood Moon I would run Magus of the Moon instead as I can easily get rid of it if it stopping my deck more than theirs, my meta is a little basic heavy due to mono color and High Tide strategies.
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben was worse in the original draft but should definitely find a slot now. Thank you for reminding me to look at it.
1 week ago
Hey nice list! I used to play something very similar. Is there a particular reason you've opted out on fast mana rocks in your decks? Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, and Mana Crypt are some of the most degenerate things a cedh can do. You're missing some of the best stax pieces available too such as Ethersworn Canonist, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Blood Moon, Null Rod, and Stony Silence (still worth running at least one of these imo even if they turn off one of your own combos),
1 week ago
Have you considered "splashing" colorless so you get access to cool Eldrazi like Thought-Knot Seer and Reality Smasher? You're already running a couple of Eldrazi, so Eldrazi Temple fits right in here, and I think it might make your deck a lot better. I have a friend who playes "Eldrazi and Taxes", and I always have a tough time beating the lategame Eldrazi after he's spent the first few turns locking me out. Fatal Push also seems like it has a home here.
@Keith76 it's not so much of a win as much as it is making it so that your opponent can't really do much anymore. T1 Aether Vial, T2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben + Thraben Inspector off of Vial, T3 Blade Splicer + Leonin Arbiter off of Vial, etc. Things get out of hand fast.
2 weeks ago
Thanks Heaps Rusty_Shackleford,Hero of Bladehold is a great idea! I am with you on the whole anthem thing as well. This deck is also meant to be kind of budget so Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is probably best in the maybe board. Path to Exile is definitely a card I missed, however I think Swords to Plowshares is more budget. The mongerer was just to flip on turn two, but I agree that Thraben Inspector is a better include (especially when you don't draw into a Mentor of the Meek.
3 weeks ago
I also run a human deck, with the other sigarda. A card that i've really liked in it is Thalia, Guardian of Thraben other cards you might want are more land variety, also ramp and card draw
3 weeks ago
I always ran either 4 or 0 Flagstones.
The thinning is somewhat negligible and being a D & T player, you know that situation..
When all you want to do is
Path to Exile your own
It sucks like that sucks. And happens enough to not want to play Flagstones, unfortunately.
I was doing very well with my Martyr Proc deck. As it is great against Death's Shadow.
BUUUUUTTT... Storm is a huge problem and we can't play