|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
- Kaladesh Modules and Krark-Clan Ironworks
- If I activate Steel Overseer, how many times does Animation Module Trigger?
- Does Hardened Scales's Ruling Apply to Animation Module?
- hardened scales Replacement or Trigger?
- Can I use a newly placed +1/+1 with Rishkar, Peema Renegade counter in a creature to activate Animation Module?
Whenever one or more +1/+1 counters are placed on a permanent you control, you may pay 1. If you do, create a 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature token.
3, T: Choose a counter on target permanent or player. Give that permanent or player another counter of that kind.
Animation Module Discussion
3 days ago
Interesting budget cards that interact with +1/+1 counters:
- Animation Module
- Curse of Predation
- Forgotten Ancient is marvelous if combined with all the other creatues that obtain free counters, like Managorger Hydra .
- Feast on the Fallen
- Increasing Savagery
- Loyal Guardian
- Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
- Mighty Emergence
- Necropolis Regent
- Primeval Bounty if you have a good amount of noncreature spells.
- Rite of Passage
- Soul's Might
1 week ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.
2 weeks ago
Lastly because I'm lazy here's a bunch of cards that all would be very good in the deck as alternate win cons, protection, +1/+1 counter stuff, removal, or draw power
3 weeks ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
1 month ago
Thanks OOBS, I am definitely interested in Avatar of the Resolute and Armorcraft Judge . I just put in an order for a couple of Experiment One s, so I appreciate the confirmation on that one! I'll probably be making some changes as I get other cards, specifically: Animation Module , Rishkar, Peema Renegade , and Hardened Scales (as wallisface recommended). Thanks again for your help!
1 month ago
Hi friends! I Am looking to buy my Elenda deck and I'm down to 30 cards! If you have any of the following and want to sell or trade, hit me up! Prices are roughly high to low.
- Elenda, the Dusk Rose
- Phyrexian Altar
- Enlightened Tutor
- Strip Mine
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded
- Thought Vessel
- Krav, the Unredeemed
- Godless Shrine
- Fetid Heath
- Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
- Steelshaper's Gift
- Westvale Abbey Flip
- High Market
- Midnight Reaper
- Disciple of Bolas
- Dimir Machinations
- Coldsteel Heart
- Gift of Immortality
- Tortured Existence
- Unspeakable Symbol
- Animation Module
- Ashes of the Fallen
- Forge of Heroes
- Shade's Form
I'm posting this in a few different places, so this is liable to shorten at a moment's notice. Thanks!
2 months ago
Animation Module - Missed out on that one, great idea
Blade of the Bloodchief - I feel as though it's not gonna be used to its full potential most of the time, since, while Vish Kal likes counters, this deck isn't a counter deck that much.
Citadel Siege - Same reasoning
Walking Ballista - Maybe, but I have reservations about adding it since I can't really see myself ever using the ability to gain more counters, so it'd enter with x counters and id either sac it to Vish, or use it all up to blast someone.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet - Already in.
Endless One - Similar reasoning to Ballista
Hangarback Walker - Definitely can see it being useful, though I worry I'll never really cast it for a high enough x to get that much out of it
Hythonia the Cruel - Too expensive really, trying to keep the cmc as low as possible
Karlov of the Ghost Council - Lifegain is just a byproduct of the cards in the deck, I might actually make it less lifegain oriented, so while he can be great removal, I don't think he'd be that useful. Might take a bit more consideration to full decide
Krav, the Unredeemed - Not really sure about him, maybe board for now
Maga, Traitor to Mortals - Would be way to expensive to cast to get a significant amount of life drained, can only see him being played late game to get that final bit of damage in.
Marionette Master - While a great card, I don't have any ways to sacrifice artifacts, so her ability is moot
Mikaeus, the Lunarch - Not a counter deck
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I should refine the objective of the deck a bit more and appreciate your assistance, WarriorMagic
2 months ago
I don't have much time, and just saw your sweet message, but I will note that with the first listed Animation Module combo, Phyrexian Altar also gives infinite mana, because you can sacrifice Elendra, get infinite tokens, sacrifice half of those (infinite mana), then recast Elendra and combo out again or whatever too.
Animation Module occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%