|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Construct
Walking Ballita enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
: Put a +1/+1 counter on Walking Ballista.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Walking Ballista: It deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (32)||perrin515 , ZombieFood , westdoorblowsnow , Lindough , DrPopular , Dr_Jay , KipIsKosher , jrschnoebelen , prass1 , Brandamn , Vergil_Redgrail , althekoolkid , thetechzombie , TuckerMTG , ecurps , Lucretian , Gabeph , FireRogue , jwitzleben , , zetsupower , SpottedGee , gosora , retropman , KillDatBUG , cklise , Azdranax , TAI434 , duff87 , mentor6 , kpral , Vasbear1|
|Want (12)||Turtlelover73 , Ariumlegion , edster , AlertKnave8075 , Archegos , darthnuchi , Dadaman11 , Spinalripper , vashaclarens , GeminiSpartanX , KillDatBUG , sonnet666|
Walking Ballista Discussion
6 hours ago
1 day ago
x12721 Walking Ballista would be good, especially against aggressive decks where you would want to ping threats off the board. It would add to the deck's cost, but if money isn't an issue, I would probably take out a couple lands or maybe the Censors for 1-3 copies.
1 day ago
Maybe try some Walking Ballista, it goes well with the Climb and can still become a huge body on its own.
1 day ago
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your inputs; you've given me a TON of things to think on and test! Here are some initial thoughts:
- In testing so far, there's almost always been something useful to do with Vault of Catlacan. Extra +1/+1 Counters and Servos from Animation Module for sure, but also huge Walking Ballistas, tutoring with Inventors' Fair, or block-then-bouncing Glint-Nest Crane or Whirler Virtuoso.
- Nezahal, Primal Tide is an intriguing option ... though The Locust God might be better in that kind of role. I'll have to check them out.
- Maverick Thopterist is worth looking at for sure ... not sure why I hadn't thought of him earlier!
- Yeah, I'm not sure about Metallic Mimic either. The card is pretty much terrible on its own, but it's just sooooo good with Animation Module (choosing Servo), Whirler Virtuoso (choosing Thopter), and especially Walking Ballista (since we can then tutor for it Whir of Invention after choosing Construct).
- The board definitely feels a little weird without some sweepers ... but so far, the deck hasn't really needed them (I found they often hurt me worse than my opp, plus it can just chump-block so effectively). But yeah, since we will almost certainly see more "can't be blocked", Trample, and Lifegain now, I probably need to just plan on it ...
2 days ago
While I do like a lot of the combos & the cards you've packed into this deck, I think this deck still has quite a few weaknesses:
1) How do you deal with commander hate? i.e repeated destruction (aside from re-casting it and Sylvan). If you don't have Mazirek, I don't think this deck will go anywhere.
2) Still needs more tutors; your combos are great but I don't know how reliably you'll get them with Sidisi/Razaketh/Diabolic (did I miss something?). How about Protean Hulk, Defense of the Heart or Tooth and Nail? You could always tutor up a combo like Mycoloth + Sylvan Safekeeper or It That Betrays and Sheoldred. Though I know this deck likes it slow and steady, you could also go off on a chain such as Defense of the Heart / Tooth & Nail -> Protean Hulk + Sidisi/Razaketh, sacrifice Hulk -> tutor for Animate Dead (to recur Protean later), protean trigger to tutor any combo 6cmc, Animate Dead the protean, Sacrifice it, grab an Eternal Witness to get your Animate Dead back, rinse and repeat-> Razaketh/Tutor/Sac for Deathrender or Ashnod's Altar -> Razaketh/Tutor/Sac for any creature you want onto the battlefield, starting with token generators (Abhorrent Overlord or Hornet Queen, and sacrificing tokens for mana/tutor and cast all of your colorless artifacts. Akroma's Memorial and Craterhoof Behemoth = GG! It might cost you 20 life or so but it sure will be fun (for you)!
3) Weak to board wipes, takes awhile (unless you have good luck) to reach full potential. Things like bitterblossom just aren't as fun as cheating something like Abhorrent Overlord or Hornet Queen. Also try Living Death just in case someone wipes you.
I would also advise removing some of the weaker mana accelerators: Birds/Elvish Mystic/Deep Shadow and replace it with more....sac-related fodder because they feel pretty useless drawing it late-game.
Fun cards to consider: (Apologizes if already included)
It That Betrays, Pernicious Deed, Savra, Queen of the Golgari, Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder, Akroma's Memorial, Spore Frog, Carrion Feeder, Volrath's Stronghold, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Hardened Scales, Walking Ballista, (control: Contamination, Bojuka Bog)
2 days ago
Instead I would add a Conjurer's Bauble for some graveyard recusion and up your mana rock count. Talisman of Dominance, Mind Stone and Fellwar Stone are all really good. If you want another backup combo, adding a Paradox Engine will give you a few lines.
The addition of more low cost mana rocks will speed the deck up as well as help out Dramatic Scepter.
3 days ago
I wouldn't call it redundant. In order for this deck to work optimally you need more than just three tron pieces or 7 mana. That's why Walking Ballista is in the deck, with Everflowing Chalice and tron in play he can dominate and is a big part of finishing the opponent once Platinum Angel is out. The biggest weakness of this deck is on the occasions you don't get tron and I've found Everflowing Chalice can just give you a flexible boost to your mana pool and generally speeds up the deck. I could potentially use Ancient Stirrings instead but I find this more reliable.
Thanks for your feedback though, if you disagree with me let me know
3 days ago
I would really play more Wurmcoil Engine and less Walking Ballista you normaly dodnt want to have more that one Ballista at any time but you could have any amout of Wurmcoils in hand or on the battlefield without them beeing dead cards.