|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Isamaru, Hound of Konda
Legendary Creature — Hound
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Isamaru, Hound of Konda Discussion
3 weeks ago
Mongrel Pack makes more hounds, and makes opponents think twice about blocking. I know you're splashing green/black, but if you're using 4 Concerted Efforts, going wide with tokens would be pretty nice. It does drive up your CMC.
Blazing Hellhound allows you to sacrifice creatures/your whole board to deal that last bit of damage, or get value before a board wipe. I'd be worried about playing all these low CMC dogs, and then getting blown out by Sphere of Safety, or Toxic Deluge, or something. The sacrifice source gives you a bit more interaction with something like that. Also, late game you could sac Underworld Cerberus and replay all your fallen doggos (and then sac them again, you monster).
Also, I agree with the above, Isamaru, Hound of Konda
1 month ago
- Thanks for the compliment! This deck is a labor of love and I am glad it shows.
Swiftfoot Boots is preferable to Lightning Greaves because we can continue to add more equipment and auras after they are attached. With no other creatures in the deck we cant swap around Lightning Greaves to get around the disadvantages of Shroud.
If only Rafiq of the Many was a mono-white enchantment. He would be in the deck for sure!
If I were to add a creature boardwipe to the deck Divine Reckoning would be it. I use it to great advantage in my Kemba, Kha Regent deck. Divine Reckoning could be a positive addition to this deck in the right meta.
Angelic Benediction can be a good addition, but the mana cost seems a bit too high for what it does. Likewise with Cathedral of War the free buff from a land is nice but I cant abide the fact that it enters play tapped.
- Sensei's Divining Top is not legal in the 1v1 MTGO Commander format. It used to be in the deck before I changed it to match the new MTGO format since most players of 1v1 Commander on MTGO migrated. Being a mono-white deck I would run Sensei's Divining Top if I could!
- I am a big fan of the Kaldra equipment set in a more casual environment but I think its too expensive to find a home in this deck. Plus, making a token would make Isamaru less lonely and we cant have that!
- Thanks for the positive feedback! A budget build of this deck in the 1v1 MTGO Commander format would be difficult; I just dont think it could stand up because we lose our fast mana. But, if you wanted to try, you could substitute mana rocks with higher CMC. It will slow you down overall but could add the mana you need for an explosive winning turn.
- Thanks for the suggestions on equipment that grants Vigilance. The 0 CMC even helps some of our cards that care about the amount of artifacts and equipment we have on the battlefield!
- Kusari-Gama is a great suggestion for metas that are token heavy. Definitely a card to watch!
When Sram, Senior Edificer first came out I swapped him in for Isamaru, Hound of Konda to see how the deck would operate. A commander with a cantrip stapled to it is great, to say the least. If I was not dedicated to the pup I would strongly consider running Sram, Senior Edificer.
Extraplanar Lens with snow basics has been considered for a long time. I just like the buff from Gauntlet of Power too much. In addition, I run the Regecca Guay APAC plains with the deck and I cant disrupt that level of flavor.
1 month ago
Whilst i love this theme, you are forgetting the greatest doggo of all Isamaru, Hound of Konda. Otherwise this deck is a total win.
2 months ago
I think Elspeth, Knight-Errant can be an acceptable substitution for Power Matrix if needed, although I like the Trample that Power Matrix grants. Likewise Duelist's Heritage is a fair substitute for Battle Mastery and each has their own advantages and disadvantages; Duelist's Heritage sticks around when Isamaru, Hound of Konda dies and this deck has more tutors for Battle Mastery
Empyrial Plate is an acceptable alternative to Empyrial Armor but I am not certain I would run both of them. This deck tends to run low on cards in hand and when Empyrial Armor is out the play style changes to accommodate that card. As with Duelist's Heritage and Battle Mastery there are advantages and disadvantages to both Empyrial Plate and Empyrial Armor for this deck; Empyrial Plate sticks around and Empyrial Armor comes down a turn faster unless Sigarda's Aid is in play. This deck tends to run faster and riskier in trade for less resiliency. A more resilient play style, though, is an acceptable alternative and I think the deck can be tweaked to adjust for individual groups, play styles, and meta environments.
Regarding recursion I tend not to worry about it (the "fast and risky" plan). At various times the deck has run recursion effects but they tend to take time and resources to use well. At worst recursion cards are a dead draw if there is nothing to recur and at best it gives you some backup. Instead I would rather be drawing new equipment and resources.
- Godsend is a fun card but I think it would be too slow for this deck. It is a lot of fun in more casual decks in multiplayer, though, in my experience.
- Thanks for the compliment! I can see Lightmine Field and Clock of Omens doing some work for this deck but, as you said, its difficult to find cards to cut. At this point, unless there are more detrimental changes to the banlist, most modifications to the deck are for direct substitutions of existing cards that, for whatever reason, function better than the existing cards.
- I actually did try Sram, Senior Edificer as the commander for this deck when he first came out. The raw value is, to say the least, very powerful. If you wanted to swap Isamaru, Hound of Konda for Sram, Senior Edificer the immediate changes I would make to the deck would be to transition some of the spot removal and unattached buffs to cards that take advantage of Sram, Senior Edificer
4 months ago
- Indeed I would have to change the name of the deck if I swapped out the commander. Another reason to leave Isamaru, Hound of Konda in charge. Plus, he is such a good boy. Yes he is!
- Thanks for the compliment! I have thought about some cards with Exalted, but they never seem to make the cut. Cathedral of War would be included if it did not enter the battlefield tapped. I had not considered Angelic Benediction but it has a similar function to Citadel Siege. I rarely choose "Dragons" except in special cases such as when I face Zur the Enchanter or similar.
- Thanks for the approval. This deck does well against stax decks, in my opinion. We run some stax cards of our own so we are generally prepared for similar style cards. Also, having a cheap Commander without special abilities allows us navigate common stax elements.
4 months ago
Also sorry for all these comments. I also want to thank you about your suggestions as well. As far as getting attacked. My play group don't trust whatever deck I use even if I use Isamaru, Hound of Konda they'll want me dead as soon as possible. XD
Here's my attempt at the deck. I'm still working out the kinks to it
4 months ago
So, after looking through gatherer, For a 1CMC aggro I would recommend in this order:
Kytheon, Hero of Akros - Because of possible resiliency against control, + in an aggro deck like this one, a real possibility of transforming if you don't miss a drop.Isamaru, Hound of Konda - Because it's a 2/2 for 1Dryad Militant - Because of Jeskai (specifically hating against Snapcaster Mage)Bloodsoaked Champion - Because it can come back (which is nice against control)
I would cut into the disruption for these. 6 discard cards is normal for midrange, but for aggro, you shouldn't run so many imho. You want to deal damage fast.