Grunn, the Lonely King
Legendary Creature — Ape Warrior
Kicker 3 (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
If Grunn, the Lonely King was kicked, it enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever Grunn attacks alone, double its power and toughness until end of turn.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Grunn, the Lonely King Discussion
1 week ago
I like this. Iwamori is one of those commanders that I have considered building a dozen times, but still never did because I didn't like resulting list. Yours looks very cool, I like the route you've taken. You should consider some ways to make your Saitama indestructible: Spearbreaker Behemoth , Hammer of Nazahn or something similar. Also, how about Gargos, Vicious Watcher as additional removal off of each Aura and fight spell? Bow of Nylea is a great value card that makes your attacks so much better. Vigor and Rite of Passage are awesome for fight decks. Klothys's Design can be quite a house in a deck with big creatures. And then, there is Return of the Wildspeaker . Oh, and I forgot Karametra's Acolyte and Grunn, the Lonely King .
4 weeks ago
I only have one monogreen Commander deck, and it has Grunn, the Lonely King at the helm. I really enjoy the mix of theme and mechanic, and it seems a better King Kong stand-in than Kogla, the Titan Ape . So mark me down for Chonks!
11 months ago
Hey, there's lots of ramp here which makes 39 lands more than you really need. Consider cutting some basic lands for other cards?
Cards to consider adding:
- Garruk's Uprising: repeatable draw and trample is good with Xenagos and Quartzwood.
- Aggravated Assault: repeatable combat phases or infinite combat phases with Savage Ventmaw.
- Savage Ventmaw: repeatable green/red ramp and combos with Assault for infinite combat phases and infinite green/red mana.
- Ghalta, Primal Hunger: mana cost reduction cares about the power of creatures you control, 24/24 Dino with trample/haste.
- Elder Gargaroth: can repeatable draw, life or create a creature, 12/12 Beast with trample/haste.
- Oakhame Adversary: good mana cost reduction in multiplayer Commander, can be repeatable draw, deathtouch, +X/+X pump and potential repeatable draw is a nice combination.
- Eternal Witness and Regrowth: recur any card.
- Talisman of Impulse or Gruul Signet
- Karplusan Forest and Grove of the Burnwillows: other Gruul dual lands that can ETB untapped turn one for a green one drop.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 3x Forest
- 2x Mountain
- Savageborn Hydra
- Grunn, the Lonely King
- Caller of the Pack
- Living Hive
- Blood Mist
- Fellwar Stone
Good luck with your deck.
11 months ago
1 year ago
Harmonize is another good cheap card draw spell to pick up.
Savage Ventmaw will help produce a lot of extra mana for the deck.
I’d cut creatures back down from 43 to 33 since some of the creatures that are just big bodies like Woolly Loxodon and Grunn, the Lonely King aren’t as necessary for the deck when you can add more stuff into the deck to interact with your opponents and draw cards.
1 year ago
PizzaNinja305 well thats the idea either him or one if the back ups like Jenara, Asura of War or Grunn, the Lonely King maybe one of the tokens getting created through equipment but its mainly gunna be commander damge as the wincon
1 year ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
1 year ago
Maybe cut avenger because you're only running new cradle and any other way to abuse tokens? I know you mentioned in the group chat you want to win through overrun, but with a non-token, timmy, based commander, you should just win through beating face.
Why is Arcane lighthosue in the deck, what do you need to target of your opponents?
Cut Rhonas's Monument for another land, Yavimaya Hollow , a forest, or any other good utility land such as Miren, the Moaning Well . Maybe Deserted Temple to untap new cradle and nykthos? You had land issues (although I havent played against you enough to know) and monument isn't impactful enough.
Cut steel helkite for Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , other ulamog, or World Breaker . Both are cast triggers (as you so how crucial that was against blue), worldbreaker is recurable and colorless (for those rare, relevant moments). I understand helkite's appeal but I feel having to connect and pay mana on top of having to wait a turn assuming no haste, assuming you even have enough mana afterwards.
While this is a harder cut, it depends on the meta I suppose, cut Spearbreaker Behemoth for Boundless Realms / Traverse the Outlands . Behemoth is nice, but exile, sac and bounce effects are all prevalent in the meta.
Cut Omnath, Locus of Mana for Greenwarden of Murasa ? Not sure of what to add for this cut or the following cuts.... Recursion is nice, gives you a benefit to it's death as well (synergy with miren moaning well). Other good options of recursion include Creeping Renaissance , Seasons Past or even Preator's Counsel. Omnath does nothing at all except be a mana sink. Recursion is nice to rebuild after a wipe
Cut Apex Altisaur for Terastodon - All that mana to kill 1-2 creatures? Eh. Granted Terastodon isn't much different. Like I said, these last few cuts are flexible. But I've always had a soft spot for him.
Maybe a Dryad Arbor to synergize with G-Sun?