Bane of Progress
Creature — Elemental
When Bane of Progress enters the battlefield, destroy all artifacts and enchantments. Put a +1/+1 counter on Bane of Progress for each permanent destroyed this way.
|Have (2)||, metalmagic|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bane of Progress occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Bane of Progress Discussion
2 weeks ago
Boy Howdy, that's a LOT of land! Your commander does scale with the amount of land you have in play, but I don't see a lot of interaction with opponents in the deck or card draw. So consider this: I agree that you'd probably want to play a bit more lands than in a typical EDH deck, but I could try to aim for somewhere around 40 lands. That way you still hit your land drops into the late game AND you reduce the risk of durdling into lands when you need action late game.
In terms of early interaction, I can see this deck being flooded by decks that go wide. So something like Hurricane may help, as it can even double as a wincon late game. Beast Within is a decent catchall answer for problem creatures. Terastodon and Bane of Progress are late game threats that sweep the board and can hinder opponents if ramped out early. Wood Elves is another just general green staple that ramps you at 3 cmc.
Also consider things that can give your creature deathtouch. With Deathtouch and Trample, 1 damage is enough to be considered lethal to any individual blocking creature, making the rest of the damage spill over. With your commander having the potential to be in the stratosphere with attack, it'd be a headache to block in combat. Basilisk Collar Gorgon's Head and Quietus Spike pair extremely well with your commander!
Also, just a recommendation, if you go more with a landfall theme, some of the fetch lands or things like Evolving Wild are ways to get multiple land drops per turn and thin the deck out a bit!
Good luck beating down some commander players!
3 weeks ago
Bane of Progress
seems good considering how few artifacts and enchantments you play.
But Crucible of Worlds might be worth including.
Depending on how much LD you want to run, Wasteland , Dust Bowl , Shivan Harvest , Helldozer might be playable.
Also Opposition Agent is a must as it shuts down most land ramp and fetch lands.
3 weeks ago
Trying this swap of creatures :
1 month ago
Oops, sorry I misread you asking for mono green.
1 month ago
Here is some cards that i think are must have: Insidious Dreams , It That Betrays , Emrakul, the Promised End , Void Winnower , Krosan Cloudscraper , Consuming Aberration , Kozilek, the Great Distortion , Frantic Search , Lim-Dul's Vault , Putrefax , Dark Ritual , Bane of Progress , Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord (great alternative wincon with Lord of Extinction [that is one instainclude too]), Toxic Deluge , Fathom Mage , Cavern of Souls , Assassin's Trophy , Abrupt Decay , Alchemist's Refuge , Pernicious Deed , Phyrexian Dreadnought , Hermit Druid , Rise of the Dark Realms , Reanimate . Those are of the hat that come to mind first when thinking whats missing here. Eldrazis are mainly for counters, Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon and Putrefax are for swinging and Fathom Mage (another zegana) and Bane of Progress are for utility. Also you are in promised land of green ramp so i would take out heavy mana cost artifact ramps and change them to Mana Crypt and green ramp like Birds of Paradise and other 1 mana dorks. And if you want to dig for lands, Nature's Lore and Three Visits are just better Farseek s. Search for Tomorrow is also great. As enchantment ramp i would suggest Exploration , Burgeoning , Wild Growth and Utopia Sprawl . I'm more than glad to answer if you have questions.
1 month ago
Etherium Sculptor seems good.
Blinkmoth Urn could generate some serious mana for you given your artifact base.
Forsaken Monument makes your colorless rocks tap for more and also goes inf with basalt monolith.
a couple thoughts, artifact hate is a big part of the EDH meta, with cards like Vandalblast , Bane of Progress , Austere Command all seeing regular play. given that you are pretty much all in on artifacts, you may want to consider upping your Counterspell game to ensure you don't essentially lose the game when an opponent lands removal like that, as you can't always rely on having darksteel forge out. Hurkyl's Recall and Retract are other options if you are not into counterspells.
also, suggest to cut
as soon as possible- any one of
are all better and way less risky.
also i would check out your point removal: possibly Generous Gift over topple the statue, Arcane Denial , Unsubstantiate , or Boomerang over steel sabotage, Swords to Plowshares or Impulse or Anguished Unmaking over esper charm.
more ideas, Padeem, Consul of Innovation can give your artifacts hexproof and Shimmer Dragon would go great with Unwinding Clock .
anyway those are just some thoughts. hope some of them are helpful and keep having fun! cheers!!!
2 months ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.