Tempt with Discovery
Tempting offer — Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. Each opponent may search his or her library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. For each opponent who searches a library this way, search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then each player who searched a library this way shuffles it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Tempt with Discovery Discussion
7 hours ago
Switching the view to converted mana cost probably shows why you have problems in keeping up with your playgroup: you only have 9 one drops in the whole deck and 13 two drops. This means except for 22 cards you won't be playing ANYTHING before turn 3.
One way to change that would be to invest in acceleration through mana artifacts, but that would quickly consume your +100 dollar budget. You might have a look at Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Mox Diamond, Lotus Petal, Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Mind Stone, Golgari Signet, Coalition Relic and if you have enough artifacts in the deck, also Mox Opal and Voltaic Key. I would also play Dark Ritual in every black deck.
As your commander profits from creatures, I would suggest mana producing creatures instead. Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Deathrite Shaman for example. There's a huge lot of these creatures available and none of them are expensive. Searching for additional lands also helps your commander, so Skyshroud Claim, Tempt with Discovery, Nature's Lore, Edge of Autumn, Crucible of Worlds and Life from the Loam could be nice. Solemn Simulacrum can also go into any commander deck, which has enough basic lands.
Sorin Markov is absolutely devastating in commander, just like everything that sets someone's life total to a certain low number. With the lifeloss ability of your commander you can put at least one player under much pressure. In general you have to think a bit differently than in modern, because the power level is much higher in commander and you can't win by dealing damage as easily. losing 2 life is nothing, not even 5 life is a big deal, around 10 it starts to bother you, but only if the source can swing again for you in the next turns. you have to watch out for combo and control though, because most decks try to secure a win somewhere between turns 3 and 5.
4 days ago
The card advantage you want is board presence more than hand size, I think.
4 days ago
SaifurCommander Now that Tempt with Discovery's price has dropped, I think it's a perfect addition to the deck! Do you have any suggestions as for what to cut for it, potentially? The Tron Lands are good, but I don't think I'd need the colorless mana they produce. Thanks for the suggestion!
4 days ago
IT's an interesting deck, but not a mechanic I'm particularly familiar with, personally. Have you considered getting the Tron lands for this deck? And maybe Tempt with Discovery? More ramp never hurt anyone.
2 weeks ago
I agree with the above comment, Stonehoof Chieftain, Angel of Serenity, and Terastodon are all fantastic cards. I'd also advise adding Spearbreaker Behemoth and Spellbreaker Behemoth, as well as Summoner's Pact.
I'd cut Protean Hulk - you can't get more than one creature off him, and while there are some choice cards to get... do you really need a seven mana tutor? Omnath, Locus of Rage is great, but you can't really abuse his landfall, so I'd cut him. If you're looking to make the deck "no dick moves," then Blightsteel Colossus and Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger are both out of place. I'm not sure how effective Mayael's Aria and Martyr's Bond have been for you, but they seem slow and generally less effective than you'd like.
2 weeks ago
+1/+1 Counters and big creatures can be fun to play but this deck is not structured enough to really use/abuse the +1s.
First you need to decide how you want to use the +1s.
1) You could do voltron with boosting your commander. In which case the rings you have, Hardened Scales work well. You would flesh out the deck with enchantments/artifacts to help deliver the commander/+1s.
3) You can do the hydra thing. Put in a bunch of X cost hydras and go that way.
Any of the above can be satisfying but the reason why your probably getting handed your head recently is the deck doesn't optimize what it really wants to do.
Now onto the Mana Base:You have the right number of lands and in roughly the right balance so I do not think that is your issue. For some lands to add Rogue's Passage would seem to be a natural fit for what you want to do.
I think what you need is ramp. I would try to add at least a few more cards that pull lands out of your deck. Fertilid fits the counter theme and searches for ramp. Tempt with Discovery can be awesome but it is one of the more costly $$ wise. If you are going voltron style I would put in Sword of the Animist.
If you need more recommendations let me know and I'll try to help out.
2 weeks ago
In addition to what other people mentioned, it's important to not just make people like you, but encourage people to do things other than attack you. I've been in games where people will thank me, but then turn on me later. If you include cards like Edric, Spymaster of Trest or Orzhov Advokist there's extra incentive to attack someone else.
For me a large part of group hug decks is getting political. By this i mean you help out people in exchange for them helping you and helping take out other player you deem scary. You can go beyond that and directly barter with people too. Telling people you will use your Phyrexian Splicer, Duelist's Heritage, or Power Matrix if they attack someone other than you is always nice.
If however you want to stay truly group hug and ignore the political aspect of it, i'd add more ways to directly give people more options with cards like Wishmonger, Intellectual Offering, Benevolent Offering, Sylvan Offering, Collective Voyage, Tempt with Discovery, Tempt with Reflections, Alliance of Arms.
The advocate creatures are also pretty nice. They have a benifit to you (or an oponnt if you feel generous) and return cards from your opponents graveyard back to their hands: Forcemage Advocate, Nullmage Advocate, Pulsemage Advocate, Shieldmage Advocate and Spurnmage Advocate.
Avacyn, Guardian Angel can also help your opponents or save yourself if needed. (vigilance is also nice cause you can still attack someone if needed)
Forced Fruition is a wierd one (they draw the cards whether they want to or not)
2 weeks ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.