|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Put a +1/+1 counter on each green creature that entered the battlefield this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||DudeMan1031 , raymaverick97 , Tiddilywinkus , maR2307 , switchkill65 , MoJoMiXuP , cryptoplasm , thetechzombie , golgarigirl , Spinalripper , Vergil_Redgrail , gildan_bladeborn , rockleemyhero|
|Want (5)||Xue-Kaihua , Turtlelover73 , xpsychovampx , Wolfebladeelite , Jelatinator|
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood Discussion
1 week ago
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
cak01vej I have tried this deck with a few of Gavony Township included but I actually found that it was too encumbersome to be of good use, you need a total of 5 mana including itself to even be able to pay for it's bottom ability. Since I have no mana ramp in this deck; that implies turn 5 before it's even a possibility. I wanted this deck faster than that, to keep up with fast modern decks and be competitive. In my opinion there are 2 other alternatives that are similar enough to be considered Oran-Rief, the Vastwood and Llanowar Reborn. However both of them come into play tapped, which has the potential to slow things down. They are okay includes but when I played with them included I didn't see a big help or advantage to them, I did however seem to notice them entering play tapped and feeling as though that slowed me down. Oran-Rief, the Vastwood I felt was of more use out of the two, however since the deck is not mono green, the help is limited. Llanowar Reborn is nice especially when Hardened Scales works on it as well, really catches opponents off guard, however once out of counters, its usefulness is done. I felt that leaving them out to include other things with better usefulness made for better play.
2 weeks ago
I'm quite new to MTG and still picking up the rules. I have discovered that I love hydrae and anything that gives +1/+1 counters, however, so here is my question...
Does an undying creature (for example Young Wolf )'enter the battlefield' again when it returns from the dead with a +1/+1 on it, or is it considered to be the same creature?
I would like to know as I have acquired the card Oran-Rief, the Vastwood which allows me to place a +1/+1 counter on each green creature "that entered the battlefield this turn".
3 weeks ago
Great deck! I recommend Oran-Rief, the Vastwood and also, try researching the older simic cards.
1 month ago
So I have an Ezuri, Claw of Progress build, myself. You should check it out! I'm gonna give you some ideas, as I may have a few more experience counters than you xD
The suggestions I make are from my list, but I won't mention any cards outside of your budget. Let's get started!
This is alphabetical, not in order of relevance:
- Avenger of Zendikar is a bomb! He usually produces 7 tokens (sometimes more, rarely less). That's 7 Ezuri triggers! A great way to spend some mana.
- Birthing Pod is good; in my opinion, it is secondary to Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (more on him later)
- Breeding Pool is in your sideboard, but is a little out of your budget. If you're willing to buy it, there is absolutely no reason to leave it out of your deck
- Cyclonic Rift is an auto-include, as you are playing a blue EDH deck
- As brian.olson542 mentioned, Fathom Mage is amazing with Ezuri. It's the best card draw you'll get
- Green Sun's Zenith is amazing if you have enough green creatures to make it relevant. Tutoring is important in Commander, especially with a toolbox build (Ezuri can easily be a very effective toolbox). If you have too many blue/artifact creatures, I would go for other tutors
- Hinterland Harbor is from my favorite cycle of lands. In a 2-color deck, it will usually enter the battlefield _UN_tapped, without having to Shock yourself. Wonderful!
- You would be amazed at just how useful Kiora's Follower is. Got a tapped Simic Growth Chamber, Sol Ring, or Oran-Rief, the Vastwood? No problem :) Of course, it can also untap any creatures you have, as well as tapping an opponent's artifacts/creatures. So much utility in one little creature!
- I am familiar with Lifecrafter's Bestiary (or the Pokedex, as I call it). However, I have not tried it in my Ezuri Claw build. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out!
- Murkfiend Liege is definitely not as good as Seedborn Muse, but it is also 90% cheaper, so that's okay
- Mycoloth is one of the best ways to get more counters! You needn't devour anything as it enters, though you certainly may. Just dump XP into it, and you get some tokens, which gives you more XP, which gives you more tokens, which gives...
- Panharmonicon - yesyesYES!!! This card is bonkers! Creatures that create tokens when they enter the battlefield (i.e.: Avenger of Zendikar) will create twice that amount! But wait - There's more! Those tokens will trigger Ezuri TWICE! For those of you following along at home, that's FOUR TIMES the Ezuri triggers for those tokens. You can't afford to pass that up!
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter really doesn't play with Ezuri, but it is an A+ Simic card.
- PUT IN Sage of Hours!!! He is an infinite combo, and a win condition. If you have 4 XP, play Sage, get another XP, enter combat, place 5 counters on Sage and remove them instantly, take an extra turn. Then do the same thing next turn. Then the next. Then the next. You see where i'm going here? It's infinite turns, my friend. There's no cooler way to win (well... except for Now I Know My ABC's... but that's a different deck)
- I don't usually like taplands, but I make an excuse for Temple of Mystery. The artwork alone keeps it in, and the scrying is noice
- Yavimaya Coast is another solid and inexpensive option for mana
This is kinda alphabetical... but not really. _()_/
- Abundance lets you decide: Do you want a land or not? If you're short lands, get a land. If you're flooded, you can make sure you don't get any more. This is one of the few cards I will suggest that doesn't play with Ezuri, but it will certainly help you get better draws. Bonus: if (for some reason) you were about to be milled to death, this card will save you. If you look at the text, you'll notice that you do not actually draw cards anymore. Thus, when you go to draw from an empty library, nothing will happen. Value!
- Animation Module allows you to get a token whenever you distribute counters. Not super flashy, but an additional Ezuri trigger each turn is nothing to sneeze at.
- Beast Within is some of the best removal you'll get in Simic
- Blighted Agent is Invisible Stalker's Evil Twin. It is almost entirely better than Blight Mamba, and will win you many games.
- Bramblewood Paragon will give all your compleated creatures trample. Bonus: If you play it before Ezuri, your General enters as a 4/4
- Champion of Lambholt makes all your creatures unblockable.
- Chord of Calling is a wonderful tutor! Convoke really makes this baby shine.
- Contagion Engine is removal and the best proliferation you'll get.
- Crystalline Crawler is the best mana producer you'll see for Ezuri
- Cultivator of Blades triggers Ezuri 3 times (10 times with Panharmonicon), and then proceeds to make all your creatures far stronger when she attacks
- Den Protector is a hybrid of Eternal Witness and Champion of Lambholt; it doesn't do either ability as well, but it does do both.
- Defense of the Heart is my favorite Magic card. Look at it. Embrace it. Then tutor for Cultivator of Blades and Avenger of Zendikar :D
- Deranged Hermit gives you 5 quick triggers. You could pay to keep it around, but I usually don't.
- Dryad Arbor is a free Ezuri trigger
- Fauna Shaman lets you chose which creatures you'll be casting.
- The Fable of Wolf and Owl is the second best story ever told (the first being the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise).
- Fertilid lets you extract your lands from your deck, insuring that you will have mana, but not draw lands when you could be drawing more creatures.
- Hangarback Walker loves getting big, then making cute flying ezuri-triggering babies when it dies.
- Kalonian Hydra doubles the counters on ALL OF YOUR CREATURES!
- Loaming Shaman doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he gets your creatures back, so we keep him around.
- Momir Vig, Simic Visionary is the creature that tutors for creatures. He triggers Ezuri, and also finds the bodies you need.
- Nature's Claim is great because it's only 1 mana. The 4 life is negligible.
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar gives you triggers, as well as counters.
- Parallel Lives because Doubling Season is too expensive.
- Phantom Nantuko is one helluva blocker. I like it better than Fog Bank, personally.
- Pongify - more one-mana removal! you already run one Rapid Hybridization, why not two?
- While we're on removal, there's Reality Shift. It's great beucase if they manifest a non-creature, then they can never cast it. So not only did you remove their Blightsteel Colossus, but you also got their Armageddon (yes, this actually happened to me once; the guy was so ticked).
- Reclamation Sage is removal on ezuri-triggering legs.
- Okay... so I know this is just a little out of your budget, but Sakashima the Impostor simply must go in. It can copy Ezuri, and is the only copy effect that can do so. I want you to imagine, atlasthetitan64, a world with 2 Ezuris. Think about all the triggering! All the COUNTERS! That, my friend, is Phyrexia incarnate. Search your couch for the spare change: Sakashima is well worth it.
- Servant of the Scale is a great one-drop. You can buff him up with no worries. If he dies, you'll just move the counters onto someone else, such as Fathom Mage.
- Simic Manipulator may cause you to lose all your friends, but that ability...
- Spike Feeder gives you more life than you'll know what to do with
- Triskelion is removal. Doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he's a beast. Dump a bunch of counters on him and watch your opponents squirm!
- If you play enough tokens, Triumph of the Hordes can be a good one-turn kill
- Viral Drake is great because of infect, obviously. However, even the proliferation is a welcome addition. It triggers Ezuri, and you'll get more conuters on your creatures, more XP, and more poison counters on your foes!
- Vorel of the Hull Clade doubles the counters on a creature. Great for Triskelion, Blighted Agent, Cultivator of Blades, or Fathom Mage
- Whirler Rogue is akin to Cultivator of Blades. It gets the same bonus from Panharmonicon. It also grants unblockability.
- Wild Beastmaster is not as good as Cultivator of Blades, but it's 2 mana cheaper.
- Wingcrafter is a great one-drop. I'd definitely play it over Cobbled Wings.
- Worldly Tutor wrote the book on creature tutoring. It's a good read!
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, because tutoring + cheaper creatures = a win.
Whew! Well I gave you a lot to think about, there. feel free to ask questions about anything I've suggested; I'd be happy to give you examples from games I've played, etc. Good luck, and happy deck-teching!
1 month ago
modern is a quick format, so ONLY geting a 4/4 per land is not good.so just like LeaPlath said, you need a focus whit the deck, and a win con once you have the ramp.4/4 don't win any game. you are dead vs most deck at the time you have/can deal 20 dmg
modern is a turn 4 format. ether you win by turn 4(not necessarily opponent at 0, but at least can't lose from there)
Windswept Heath is better in every way over Terramorphic Expanse and you could probabel even go for 4 other green fetches to trigger landfall more.Oran-Rief, the Vastwood enters tapped, and your creatures will always be biggest so cut that land.
the land from Terramorphic Expanse will enter tapped and in a turn 4 format it is just to slow to let that happen, especially in a deck that specifically what to use mana, so even just basic is beter.
1 month ago
Looks fun! I do agree you should find a way to improve your mana generation. Elvish Visionary and Ulvenwald Tracker feel a bit out of place here, too. Their effect don't seem strong enough or like they synergize enough with anything partcular in the deck to warrant them a place in a tribal deck whose type they don't share.
Also, I'm personally not a huge fan of Llanowar Reborn - maybe consider removing it or swapping it out for Oran-Rief, the Vastwood? Also comes in tapped, and requires tapping to give counters, but can give counters to a bunch of creatures at a time, multiple times in the game.