|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Expeditions||Mythic Rare|
|Masters Edition IV||Rare|
|From the Vault: Exiled||Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, Sacrifice Strip Mine: Destroy target land.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Strip Mine Discussion
10 hours ago
fair enough. I'm keeping Street Wraith in, though ;-) dropped Strip Mine for Preordain since there is plenty of land searching available (I have a Three Visits) and colorless mana is not super useful to have T1-4. and I think Arbor Elf is better than Elves of Deep Shadow given I can get access to or or , vs. just . I have playtested 5 games so far and Ad Nauseam has yet to come into play, so until I lose because I Ad Nauseam into Street Wraith, I want to keep it. it's free, recurrable draw.
2 days ago
Cards I'm not playing
Cards I want but cost money
- Survival of the Fittest would be sick. Like a Fauna Shaman with Haste!
- Gaea's Cradle should be in every green deck, and also should have never been printed
Imperial Recruiter finds like half my deck.
- Mana Drain sounds like something that's worth holding up two mana for
- Rhystic Study is a great early play. It's not ramp, but it slows your opponents down, so it kinda is.
Good cards that I've cut for better ones
- Progenitor Mimic has been in and out of the deck a lot. I've found that Duplicant is usually better, since it's actually removal as well as a clone, at the same cmc.
- Mimic Vat is strong, but not really on theme with the deck and didn't really fit anywhere once I broke the deck down into categories
- Hull Breach is good enough that I'll probably end up playing it at some later point in time. 4 kills for 4 mana with Riku out.
- Terastodon got cut for a Natural Order package. Ironically, the two would go really well together, but I've found that Avenger of Zendikar is good enough off of Natural Order.
- Body Double was nice, since it's a clone that even worked on an empty board, and could also be Podded into to create two four drops to pull off a Kiki-Conscripts combo the next turn. It's not in the deck anymore because I needed to cut something and I figured there was a reason why Rise From the Grave wasn't seeing play.
- Archaeomancer was great as another way to pull off infinite turns, but it's enough worse than Eternal Witness that it got the ax in the process of streamlining the deck.
- Tolaria West is out because it's a tapland and none of my other lands are good enough that they're worth paying 3 mana for.
- Strionic Resonator I've found to be a bit win-more, but it's still better than Parallel Lives because it doesn't just work with Riku
- Sphinx of Uthuun would be played if I could Natural Order into it, but feels a lot weaker than my other curve-toppers when I'm paying full price for it
- Deceiver Exarch/Pestermite were cut because I found I could make infinite creatures with Kiki-Jiki often enough with just Conscripts in the deck, and they're a lot worse on their own.
- Holistic Wisdom as with a number of these cards, I've found that with this many tutors, it's better to have a more streamlined deck with diversified answers than duplication of effects. I can tutor for Eternal Witness, but not for this.
- Palinchron was given up in a trade for a Snapcaster Mage, and, honestly, I don't miss it. It does make infinite mana and infinite Palinchrons with Riku and 9 starting mana, but with the deck in its current configuration, I can combo off earlier and equally consistently anyway.
- Comet Storm was there just in case I wanted to kill in one turn with infinite mana, but I've found that's not worth a card slot once the deck as a whole got better.
- Strip Mine is of better use in my Xenagos land destruction deck. Also, this deck is better off laying down threats than answering them, and would rather have a mana base that just lets us cast all of our spells when we want to.
- Brainstorm was in when I had more fetches, but it's not as good now that the fetches are in Modern decks.*Recurring Insight draws a hell of a lot of cards, but also makes you tap a lot of mana without putting something on board. Card draw is good when you're behind because it lets you find something to bring the game back, but when you're behind and tap out to draw cards, your opponents kill you before you get to cast them.
Bad cards that I'm not playing
- Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, and Second Harvest are win-more. That is, they're do-nothing cards unless you're already winning, and thus end up losing you games when they just sit in your hand. Maybe they don't actually do nothing, but in the majority of games, you'd have been better off playing a creature of the same converted mana cost.
- Time Stretch, Blatant Thievery, Clone Legion, Genesis Wave and the like are generally not what we're trying to do here. Sure, it's sweet if you pull off copying it, but you win if you copy enough cheaper spells anyway (as I've said, we're usually not losing after a copied Time Warp. We don't need Time Stretch). These are good control finishers, but Riku is a midrange/combo general.
- Signets are worse than Farseek and friends because they're easier to remove. Green doesn't need signets.
- Reiterate and the like: Riku already does this. They're not needed. Also, since they're so mana intensive, you tend to have hands with all Forks and no real spells to copy, since you cast all your other spells before you had mana available to Reverberate a spell.
Pour one out
2 days ago
Thanks for the build man! It inspired me to build an unrestricted (and moderately busted) casual version of this deck. I also found out about the frontier format from this, and it seems pretty cool. I'm not super familiar with the cards legal in that format, but I do have a few ideas you may enjoy testing in your deck. If I suggest a banned card, please forgive me and just ignore it, I'm on mobile so checking is very tedius. Faithless Looting, Mirrorpool, lands with cycling, Haunted Fengraf, and World Breaker all have been very strong in play testing. So have Fastbond, Crucible of Worlds and Strip Mine but I know those are banned.
5 days ago
Add: Reflecting Pool, Strip Mine, Cabal Coffers, Drowned Catacomb, Sulfur Falls, Dragonskull Summit, Sulfurous Springs, Shivan Reef, Underground River a few more basic lands, Chrome Mox, Mana Crypt, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Yawgmoth's Will, Gamble, Magus of the Will, Dack Fayden, Lightning Greaves, Sensei's Divining Top, Incendiary Command, Time Spiral
Cut: Blackcleave Cliffs, Grixis Panorama, Rupture Spire, Temple of Deceit, Temple of Epiphany, Temple of Malice, Terramorphic Expanse, Transguild Promenade, Vivid Marsh, Jace, Architect of Thought, Jace Beleren, Ob Nixilis Reignited, Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, Commander's Sphere, Venser's Journal, Duskmantle Seer, Master of Cruelties, Master of the Feast, Gratuitous Violence
If you want to know why I'd cut or add something, LMK
1 week ago
It's better, cheaper and legal in EDH
1 week ago
If you can afford it, I would run all the green/black fetches you can. Its something you can work towards at least, I feel that would improve this deck a lot as you would be thinning it out a ton, especially with your commander in play. I would also suggest Crucible of Worlds, although very expensive, it does wonders with your commander and ensures that you wont fall behind on land drops. It also would be amazing with lands like Tectonic Edge, Wasteland, and Strip Mine for more draw triggers and a bit of land destruction. You could also run more tutors to get Titania out for the tokens, like Worldly Tutor or even Time of Need. I see you have Life from the Loam in maybeboard, that card would rock in this deck, i would for sure run that.