|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Exiled (V09)||Rare|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Uncommon|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, Sacrifice Strip Mine: Destroy target land.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Strip Mine Discussion
9 hours ago
Crucible is a niche card! It's very powerful at what it does but not all decks need it. If you are running it just for the seven fetches, then no, it's value is not worth the price tag, or the slot. In a dedicated lands deck, it's an obvious choice. When run in a stax package of Strip Mines and Wastelands, then it's combo potential can be amazing.
12 hours ago
Ultimately it depends on the theme of the deck. I have one deck which has 7 fetches (plus a few self sacrificing lands like Strip Mine) and I absolutely run Crucible of Worlds in that deck. I have another deck however where I run 9 fetches but don't Crucible.
The first deck has a lot more of a land focus and is desigend to recur lands and get value from lands entering play. The second deck is four colour but has a heavy artifact ramp combo theme. So in that deck, playing lots of lands doesn't really mean much.
2 days ago
Nice deck! Brings me back to my early days of magic where everyone seemed to run mono green decks :D.
I browsed your list and here are some thoughts I had. Maybe there are some that are useful to you:
- Consider running Crop Rotation or Pir's Whim instead of Sylvan Scrying. Those cards have way more applications.
- You run Cultivate and Nissa’s Pilgrimage, but not Kodama's Reach? I guess I would play that over Lotus Cobra in this list as you don’t run that many ways to get more lands into play to make the Cobra shine.
- Also, Green Sun’s Zenith is synonymous with Dryad Arbor. Turning the Zenith into ramp for 1 mana. Easy include imo.
- I counted about 8 cards that draw you cards. I always prefer to run a bit more. You could consider Harmonize, Elemental Bond or Zendikar Resurgent
- With so many forests I expected to see Extraplanar Lens or something, but I could not find a card that would benefit from so many. This means you have a lot of room for improving your deck by including more utility lands. I’m thinking Scavenger Grounds, Strip Mine, Homeward Path, Tranquil Thicket, Blighted Woodland, Mosswort Bridge, Petrified Field etc. These can give you an additional edge if added in the right balance.
Hope there is something there that fits your vision for the deck!
GL & HF,
2 days ago
Always great to see another Azusa player. It looks like your deck is based around going wide with elves for fast early mana to be finished with an explosive cradle. Since you're playing mono green, you should upgrade your mana base. You could also go with better LD like Strip Mine and Wasteland or even Ghost Quarter or just add more LD to go with crucible and Ramunap Excavator (add this card now!)
Other non LD options to mana base include the following...
Cavern of Souls - It seems you have a lot of hate for blue. Lets help.
Eldrazi Temple - Fuel eldrazi
Eye of Ugin - Tutor for eldrazi
Hall of the Bandit Lord - Highly underrated but subjective to meta
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - Baby cradle
Reliquary Tower - Always useful
Yavimaya Hollow - Regen is great
I know you have a lot of 1 drop elves, but some flexibility in your land base is key.
Now to find the utility lands...
Realms Uncharted - Just added this to my azusa deck and it works very well. Get the utility lands you need (politics) or recur them later with crucible and the excavtor (ADD HIM!)
Tempt with Discovery - Worst = Gaea's cradle untapped. Best = 5 untapped lands of your choice. RUN THIS!
You're going to want a lot of card draw with azusa since you'll be dumping your hand. Large bursts of card draw are preferred over slower incremental card draw
Garruk, Primal Hunter > Soul's Magesity. Or just have both. Same effect with more options for the same mana
Rishkar's Expertise > soul's magesity. Much strong effect for 1 more mana.
Shamanic Revelation - Baby regal force
Aside from your eldrazi, you dont have much creature removal. Green's weak point. As such, you should consider the following...
Song of the Dryads - enchant it on their commander and watch them cry
Lignify - Same with above but cheaper/budget. Easier to remove
Beast Within - Instant speed permanent removal
Vernal Bloom > heartbeat of spring. It costs 1 more, but since most of your lands are forests (even after adding in utility), it will help you more than them most of the time rather than all of the time.
It looks like you really hate the blue player. You could consider adding Dosan the Falling Leaf to replace or be redundant to hall of the gemstone.
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa - Works well with cradle, provides wincon and anti-boardwipe. HIGHLY recommended for your type of deck.
I would take out all 3 of your artifacts with an activated ability (everything except crucible and horn) and put in Null Rod. Since you're green, you will be ramping with lands and not artifacts like all 4 other colors do. If you remove your global mana doublers (aside from vernal bloom) and put in null rod, then you will be effectively winning the ramp race AND making it difficult for them to catch up. Don't forget blue decks use artifacts ;)
Blackblade Reforged - Azusa voltron! Fuels greater food effects.
Now for the ramp....
Boundless Realms - RAMP!!!
Courser of Kruphix - Ramp!
Lotus Cobra - Ramp
I know I offered a lot of suggestions so here are just a few ideas of what to cut, if you want more, lmk.
Norwood Priestess - You dont need to cheat things into play
Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma - It's ok, but you should ramp and provide evasion though less killable cards.
Elvish pipe - See norwood
Wirewood Channeler - How do you feel about him? I took him out of my elf deck because he felt slow. Maybe he works for you? I still feel his slot of ramp could be replace with non-creature based ramp since you already run so many elves at lower CMC that does similar effects like Priest of Titania of Evlish Archdruid. I feel it is TOO redundant to have him.
Garruk's Packleader - Cool but elemental bond or any other card draw is better
Grazing Gladehart - Just bad, if you need lifegain, see Miren, the Moaning Well which acts as a sac outlet to prevent your stuff from getting exiled/stolen, life and AND tutorable and doesnt take up a slot in your deck
While our decks differ, you can get some ideas by checking out my list Azusa, Lost but Woke
1 week ago
Great suggestions! Especially Oboro and Roil Elemental. I should look into moonfolk, I think. Thawing Glaciers ends up being a bit slow since it comes back to hand at the end step... I'll also fail to find basics mid-to-late game a little too often. The deck seems to ramp rather quickly in general and needs something to do on the back end now. Most wins are centered on Zendikar's Roil, Rampaging Baloths, or a Well-placed Avenger of Zendikar.
Thanks for checking my deck out!
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Hey CamTheMan505! Thanks for the comments and for testing it :P I can add you to the edit list if you want to make some updates to the list ;) Just let me know!
Now for your comments, bear in mind I have not yet tested the deck, so you are probably more right than me in most observations, but from the theoretical end of things I have some comments:
1) Yes, I think one of the problems I'll bump with is ramping early game and hitting the necessary stax. Maybe cut 2 lands and play 2 more dorks? This is something I had already in mind, I'm running 35 lands because I can reuse some of the self-sacing lands (Strip Mine, Wasteland, fetches,...) even though it feels like a really high number to me. Maybe trim to 33 and introduce Llanowar Elves and Fyndhorn Elves. That's some boost to the early game speed, not only for Windgrace, but to hit 3 mana hate cards, i.e. Trinisphere, moon effects if we end up keeping them, etc.
2) Moon effects... Well, I played them in Blood Pod with 4 colors and ended up cutting it for this reason that you point and because there were quite a few mono-colored decks in my playgroup. It's questionable. If we follow my suggestion above, we have two non-land non-red sources more, and we can play around the Moon effect we know we are going to play. If we draw it later, we can pitch it to the commander. However, I accept that we could look to play some other stax pieces instead of moon effects, if we feel the early game is is need of a buff. Any suggestions from the enormous maybeboard or anything else you had in mind?
3) Necropotence is a terrible idea. You are like the 3rd guy to tell me that and I'm the 3rd guy I'll tell: Necro makes you exile cards you discard. That turns half of your commander's synergy off. Wheel of Fortune is ok but I feel that in competitive metas it will help other players more than me. Dark Confidant is too suicidal with cards of CMC 8 or 10. As strange as it sounds Faithless Looting, Night's Whisper and Sensei's Divining Top are the ones I like the most, with an honorable mention to Dire Fleet Daredevil. Looting is good per ser, and can be discarded to the commander if you have no lands, still being castable from the grave. Whisper is simple pure card draw, not flashy but effective. Top is good because we play so many fetches that it might actually work as a pseudo-card advantage, we will most likely not get stuck on our top 3 cards for long.
Waiting eagerly for your vision on these points. I'll only test the deck this weekend but will also share my views then!