|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Rare|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Rare|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
|Saviors of Kamigawa (SOK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
As Pithing Needle enters the battlefield, name a card.
Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name can't be activated unless they're mana abilities.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (47)||ibraJG84 , Fooo , ironax , fireborne1986 , Dawnsly , mcstang1986 , AAHFI , Pyre_Vulpine96 , Benniator , Fullmetalmage , Forkbeard , TheRealPeaches , bradyofportdetroit , ZombieFood , CoolBeansBrattah , asceveris , ChrisH , Poptartz95 , switchkill65 , NorthernCrow , Antiat , jrschnoebelen , Nemesis , Jpegwun , Falte , Auriel , sirbar , MrCrazzyc , TehDelta , Regulus1010 , Famicomania , TheDuggernaught , thetechzombie , machiavelli2081 , awalloftext , TheAlmostHero , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , MoJoMiXuP , wackozacko , , Sparky41 , CampbellStev , rakdos24 , DudeMan1031 , Vasbear1 , Justinaut , sneferie|
|Want (4)||SpaghettiToastBook , TheDuggernaught , Bulldawg1310 , aeonstoremyliver|
Pithing Needle Discussion
1 day ago
You win by not letting your opponent play Magic. They'll either concede because they have no outs or answers to anything in the prison or get slowly but surely milled out.
With Lantern of Insight and the various mill rocks, you have control over what they draw on their turn, giving them nothing but dead cards.
You can dump your hand really, really fast and get Ensnaring Bridge out as early as turn two.
Play this if you want to break people.
3 days ago
I plan on adding Ensnaring Bridge at some point; that's just really expensive. Mox Opal will probably never be a part of this deck, though it would be lovely. I may pick up: more Thoughtseize, more Inquisition of Kozilek, Surgical Extraction or Extirpate, more Pithing Needle, or some other smaller cards.
Critique is welcome.
6 days ago
Darksteel Citadel might be worth having in the sideboard. It may not be a legal target for Polymorph, but if your opponent is packing stuff like Pithing Needles then you might need it G2 to ensure you can get something going with Shape Anew
6 days ago
As ToolmasterOfBrainerd said, it's going to be a REALLY tough match-up for you. I'm personally 70% (9-4 on matches) vs. various Sultai Control builds ... so the best plan may just be to hope you don't get matched up again :-)
At our heart, we're a tempo deck, using Land disruption to set our opponents back and early ramp to move us forward. So you'll want to prioritize ways to nerf our Land disruption and disrupt our early ramp for sure. Looking at your current 75 ...
- Collective Brutality, Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek are REALLY good against us. We tend to mulligan REALLY aggressively, especially in Game 1,in search of mana accelerants, and it's easy to turn our great 5 into a cruddy 4.
- Fatal Push on an Arbor Elf followed by Surgical Extraction is just brutal.
- Casting a Pithing Needle and naming Arbor Elf right after we cast one is brutal too (it's tough to cast a pre-emptive Needle though, since our deck has SO many flex slots).
- Ghost Quarter on a Forest + Utopia Sprawl is INSANELY good against us.
- Damnation is really rough on us. Especially if coupled with some hand disruption (since we'll normally hold at least one Creature back).
Beyond your current 75 ...
- Some Enchantment removal could be solid, for Utopia Sprawl and of course for Blood Moon. I like Seal of Primordium (since it works vs. Chalice of the Void when X=1), but there are a ton of solid options.
- Spreading Seas could be REALLY good here. It's great against us early (on a Forest + Utopia Sprawl) and decent late (if we don't have a Blood Moon out is can sometimes be challenging to get double-red). And it's also superb on yourself when we have Blood Moon out.
- Can your mana base afford to run 2x Forests? It's the first Basic I'd try to kill (to keep you off Goyf and Enchantment removal). I'm also going to do everything I can to keep you off BB (for Lili).
Post-board, we probably won't change much. Maybe 1-2x Relic of Progenitus if we saw or expect Goyf. Probably an Obstinate Baloth (if we've got one), for Lili. Watch out for Trinisphere though ... if we see a bunch of your big-mana spells (Kalitas, Tasigur, etc) they won't come in, but if Snap-Push created any issues for us in Game 1, expect Trin' (usually 3x) for sure.
Good luck, mate!
1 week ago
I run a deck that has this combo so I know you need to combo out asap, and you need all the mana available. That being said, you may want to consider Aether Vial you can combo out t3 with it.
1 week ago
Pithing Needle really helps against one of your tougher matchups: Tron. Needle naming Karn, Ugin, or Liliana (against the black decks) helps get you to the late game and gives you something to play on turn 1 when Nodes aren't doing much. It's been a while since I last played prison, but I think I'll whip it out and give it another shot in this storm-heavy meta.
1 week ago
If Tron is prominent in your meta, both Pithing Needle and Stony Silence are godsends. I run two of each in my primary deck. They are also pretty versitile cards. Both are strong against Lantern Control, Affinity, etc.
Out of curiosity, how are your matchups against Storm and GBx decks?
1 week ago
Great questions, fastbond_stripmine_crucible! You definitely gave me some things to think about.
Firstly, I just want to say thanks for the feedback and the upvote! As far as preemptive answers to my Stick like Pithing Needle, Sorcerous Spyglass, and Chalice of the Void I hope to get rid of them before they can even play them by means of Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize...provided I am on the play, otherwise I can be screwed against Pithing Needle lol. Then, I can use Extirpate to remove all copies from their deck making me a little bit safer. Admittingly, I probably could use some artifact hate in my deck in case that doesn't work.
And lastly, I put in Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver as kind of a win-con by himself. I probably wouldn't use him on turn 3, but rather more late game, especially when I am controlling the game with my Isochron Scepter at that point. Against aggro, he can summon creatures to help for a win-con and against control he can empty a players' hand. He isn't necessarily great at anything just pretty good at a few things. Any suggestions to replace him would be appreciated!