Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
(0): Return Ghost Town to its owner's hand. Play this ability only if it's not your turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ghost Town Discussion
3 weeks ago
Thanks for checking out my list!
- By running pretty much all of the non basic tutors (though I do want to swap out Realms Uncharted for an Hour of Promise so I'm not giving any choice to an opponent), grabbing Cradle isnt hard. From there mana isnt a huge issue unless wraths are a thing, which in my typically 1v1 meta isnt really. In multiplayer I could probably swap some of the artifact hate out (relying on the other 2 players to help on that front), to include some of the heavier hitting ramp spells.
- Kinda the same. Since my combos unfortunately need a lot of slots, I've had to cut somewhere. 37 lands is still plenty. Getting screwed doesnt not happen, but its not frequent. At least from my experience. Maybe variance will rear its head and I'll get my comeuppance with a long streak of being screwed.
- I do plan on getting a Taiga in the near-ish future, funds are a thing at the moment though. This is my actual paper list, one of the big reasons why I havent posted it to that tapped out tier list as an example to bump them up to tier 3. I understand the combo is janky and too slow for high end play, but from my experience the tier 4 description that starts with "weak" doesnt apply either. If cedh fast combo decks are defined as turns 3-5 wins, this deck is easily in the 5-7, sometimes 8 range. Thats not weak, its just not the strongest either. On the times I have done multiplayer the deck has done surprisingly well even at tier 2 tables (even before I got my cradle), but I also understand variance from meta to meta is a thing so I'm not aiming exceptionally high on that front. 3 feels right, but again this deck isnt technically fully optimized.
- Vesuva is in the side board, and I have used it. It does find a place in the deck, right now the Stage is doing a bang up job for me though.
- Yes, as explained in one of my sections the wilds and expanse are place holders for the big daddy fetches. Again, funds.
- Ghost Town... I see that as using Gruul Turf's slot as it bounces itself, even though you run both (you run more lands in general). But the turf generates more mana and its colored, so imo its better. I'd need to playtest to change my mind on that. Maze of Ith... my typically 1v1 meta is against another combo deck, Arcum. Arcum doesnt attack, so thats probably maybe board material and meta dependent. Homeward Path is nice though. Worth considering if I get into more multiplayer games against more control decks or that surprise blowout in red. Wasteland... I have Strip Mine, currently dont feel like I need the redundancy. I feel a lot of these may be meta considerations to be honest.
Looking at your list, your average cmc is much higher. That may be where your mana concerns for my deck come from. It may not seem like much, but the difference between 4.1 and 2.71 is absolutely monstrous; even at the 3.2 my deck once was at I felt it was way too slow, and even though Hour of Promise is better than Realms Uncharted part of me really loathes the idea of increasing my average cmc by even that small amount.
You also seem to have gone for a much stronger land destruction package, presumably to slow everyone else down so your average cmc isnt as big a hurdle. I've thought about going that route too, but decided to make the janky combo as good as it could be. I just dont have the space to do a land destruction/control package proper imo.
Again, thanks for stopping by!
3 weeks ago
Cool to see a completely different take on Mina and Denn. Inspiring to see a combo-oriented version!
There are a few things that I noticed when browsing your list. Perhaps there are some thoughts there that are helpful to you.
- You run quite a low amount of cards that fetch you multiple lands from the library. I wonder if you get enough lands consistently to get the deck started or make use of mina and denn's ability.
- Also, your land count seems quite low, especially for a land deck, and also considering 2 of your lands don't generate mana.
- I noticed that you run some 2-color producing lands (Fire-Lit thicket and grove), while you are only running 2 out of a possible 4 dual lands. That's 2 more potential mountains you miss for Valakut synergy. Vesuva can also be amazing with valakut, especially when you scapeshift while valakut is already in play.
- I would cut evolving wilds and terramorphic expanse for normal fetches, Blighted Woodland, or even Mountain Valley as that can also get duals.
- Other lands I hoped to find but were missing are: Ghost Town, Maze of Ith, Homeward Path, and Wasteland.
Have a look at my list if you are interested. Curious to hear your view on it!
1 month ago
It's speculation of course, but imo ...
- Short-term: No impact at all.
- Mid-term: Depends on your format. I suspect a bunch of Limited and Standard MTGO players (and probably all the non-English speakers) will make the move to Arena. Any new Limited and Standard players, including a ton of folks from Hearthstone, will of course start there. All of that is going to make the Limited and Standard areas of MTGO a bit of a Ghost Town. The only chance to the Eternal formats is that with fewer drafters, the supply of cards (from both new sets and flash-back events) will go down and costs will go up.
- Long-term: Assuming Arena is successful product, it will eventually expand to include all formats.
1 month ago
I would go more all-in on the landfall-style plan. Check out 3 colour charms from Alara block and 2 colour charms from Ravnica blocks for more multi-purpose cards. I'd use all of your Maybeboard cards except Kefnet the Mindful too.
Ideas: Vinelasher Kudzu, Dreamscape Artist, Pilgrim's Eye, Path to Exile (Over Swords to Plowshares), Deprive, Knight of the Reliquary, Oracle of Mul Daya, Thaumatog, Lithatog, Scapeshift, Aggressive Mining, Dryad Arbor, Riftstone Portal, Solemn Simulacrum, maybe Awaken cards from new Zendikar?
1 month ago
LOOKS FUN AND LOVE THE LOW PRICE!
1 month ago
As from your questions in the advertise your commander deck thread, I would definitely run the Thornbite Staff and company for your combos. I'm personally a big fan of the card. I love the synergy you have there with Gruul Turf and Ghost Town.
2 months ago
Haha thanks for the suggestions usaDiabetic, I'll probably put it in for Encroaching Wastes when I get it. As for Ghost Town, I don't often miss a land-drop with my current land count but it's definitely worth thinking about
2 months ago
If you are ever worried about your sorcery spells such as Boundless Realms being countered, add Boseiju, Who Shelters All to protect them. Since you did add Ghost Town, I think you should add Burgeoning so you never miss an opponent land drop too. As for either Fires of Yavimaya or Fervor, I'd say cut Sword of the Animist rather than Evolutionary Leap. I already feel like you are light on sac outlets as is.