Creature — Dinosaur
When Apex Altisaur enters the battlefield, it fights up to one target creature you don't control.
Enrage — Whenever Apex Altisaur is dealt damage, it fights up to one target creature you don't control.
|Want (2)||Showa , NMJohn|
Printings View all
|Commander 2019 (C19)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Apex Altisaur Discussion
19 hours ago
Awesome list, i have taken some notes for when i start retooling my own gishath deck.
But there are some inclusions I myself have experienced to be underwhelming and was wondering what you thought about them.
Bellowing Aegisaur: Does he work as occasional +1/+1 counter placements or do you have multiple activations when you use him. I myself find the occasional trigger to be underwhelming, and not doing much for 6 mana. And when i can use something like Pyrohemia he does not protect himself.
Burning Sun's Avatar: Have been very disappointed with this one, tough to cast due to its cmc and triple red. Bolting a creature and a player seems very limited for 6 mana, and even when its cheated into play it seems underwhelming for a card slot when something like Apex Altisaur could remove multiple threats. And a 6/6 without trample is underwhelming as well in my opinion :/.
Deathgorge Scavenger: How often do you meet graveyard decks, because without that interaction it seems very limited in its use.
Raging Regisaur: I have been on the fence with this, it is a very nice trigger on a dinosaur body. But the amount of enrage targets are limited and - at least in my meta, a 4/4 will rarely be able to attack anyone without dying to one of their larger blockers. Killing an X/1 is nice, but the difficulty of having it attack without dying is a bit tough.
Raging Swordtooth: Same case as above, but i like this less. It triggers only once, which means it needs a lot of setup for getting a lot of enrage triggers. An army of 1/1 seems uncommon, most token decks will have something to buff them. A possible swap could be Staff of Nin it gives card draw and a nice way to trigger enrage, although at a higher cmc and no way of cheating it into play.
Siegehorn Ceratops: How has this performed for you? I find it very hard to trigger it the first time with only 1 damage. And even if it gets buffed it is just a big beater without trample. I really like the card and want to include it, but its hard to justify.
Territorial Allosaurus: Is a 5/5 for 4 with a possible fight ability really worth it, feels there are better options available.
Trapjaw Tyrant: Have shown to be very risky. Some setup is required to trigger the enrage, and even if the problems are removed, they will come right back when the board is cleared. And then one have to take care of those problems again with an empty board.
And what do you think about some of these cards?
Domri, Anarch of Bolas: Can be removal, ramp and buff.
Samut, the Tested Can give gishath double strike and enable enrage.
Aura Shards Can wipe most creatures from opponents boards when casting dinosaurs, and commander can be a board wipe when casting.
Shaman en-Kor for moving enrage triggers
1 month ago
Maybe cut avenger because you're only running new cradle and any other way to abuse tokens? I know you mentioned in the group chat you want to win through overrun, but with a non-token, timmy, based commander, you should just win through beating face.
Why is Arcane lighthosue in the deck, what do you need to target of your opponents?
Cut Rhonas's Monument for another land, Yavimaya Hollow , a forest, or any other good utility land such as Miren, the Moaning Well . Maybe Deserted Temple to untap new cradle and nykthos? You had land issues (although I havent played against you enough to know) and monument isn't impactful enough.
Cut steel helkite for Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , other ulamog, or World Breaker . Both are cast triggers (as you so how crucial that was against blue), worldbreaker is recurable and colorless (for those rare, relevant moments). I understand helkite's appeal but I feel having to connect and pay mana on top of having to wait a turn assuming no haste, assuming you even have enough mana afterwards.
While this is a harder cut, it depends on the meta I suppose, cut Spearbreaker Behemoth for Boundless Realms / Traverse the Outlands . Behemoth is nice, but exile, sac and bounce effects are all prevalent in the meta.
Cut Omnath, Locus of Mana for Greenwarden of Murasa ? Not sure of what to add for this cut or the following cuts.... Recursion is nice, gives you a benefit to it's death as well (synergy with miren moaning well). Other good options of recursion include Creeping Renaissance , Seasons Past or even Preator's Counsel. Omnath does nothing at all except be a mana sink. Recursion is nice to rebuild after a wipe
Cut Apex Altisaur for Terastodon - All that mana to kill 1-2 creatures? Eh. Granted Terastodon isn't much different. Like I said, these last few cuts are flexible. But I've always had a soft spot for him.
Maybe a Dryad Arbor to synergize with G-Sun?
1 month ago
This is not bad at all. I have a couple of suggestions off the top of my mind though...
First off, I highly recommend using custom tags to sort your cards. To do this, go into the "edit" mode where you can see your card list. It will look something like:
You can then add tags by using #Category after a card. For example:
1xArbor Elf #Ramp
This will assign Arbor Elf to the "Ramp" category. Unsorted cards are assigned to "Other" by default.
I recommend these categories;
- Ramp (Aim for 12-16 of these. A card that costs more than 4 mana is too slow to be reliably called Ramp)
- Draw (At least 12)
- Removal (Around 8, make sure you can deal with other commanders/creatures!!!)
- Sweepers (Boardwipes, Green doesn't really have many it's okay)
- Support (Stuff that isn't obviously powerful but makes certain cards in the deck busted. Examples are your equipment)
- Lands (Obviously. Aim for 34-37. This deck wants 34-36)
The remaining cards can be categorized based on the specific inner-workings of your deck. For example, this deck might have a "Big Bois" category for creatures that are just huge.
Depending on your sorting preferences, it can by okay to tag one creature with multiple tags. For example;
1x Thorn Mammoth #Removal #Big_Boi
Onto my Card Suggestions:
- Soul of the Harvest is nice for card draw and comes with a big smashy body + Trample.
- Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic are fantastic replacements for Leaf Gilder and Druid of the Cowl , assuming you want to go for efficiency.
- Beast Within and Acidic Slime are super helpful for dealing with nonsense of all kinds.
- If you are willing to pay $1.50 a pop for them, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are good additions and could replace Explosive Vegetation and Circuitous Route in a pinch. -Other really nice Ramp includes Rampant Growth , Wild Growth , Fertile Ground and Utopia Sprawl . Ramp is life. - Fierce Empath is cheap and very effective at finding your creature answers. I run it in any deck that likes to use specifically powerful creatures, AKA green ones, lol.
- These ones are a tiny bit janky and unreliable, but Ezuri's Predation , Whirlwind and Monstrous Onslaught are green boardwipes.
- Swiftfoot Boots . Assuming you really like haste and hexproof on a 12/12 trampler, it is worth having another copy of Lightning Greaves by a different name. Also, this card is hilarious: Fleetfeather Sandals
- Apex Altisaur can cause some havoc. Often, getting rid of your opponents' engine pieces is the difference between life and death.
- Surrak, the Hunt Caller is an overlooked Green Haste Boi who could do work in this deck.
- Silklash Spider just because I'm very used to going toe-to-toe with flying decks. Granted, that's just my meta, but Silklash still does work as a defender in the case of no fliers. Heck, you're still happy even if you don't see any fliers - you want a ground game in the first place!
- Yeva, Nature's Herald is CRAZY. She effectively also gives Ghalta haste, which is all kinds of sweet.
- Rogue's Passage . It doesn't even take up a nonland slot!!! Free VALUE!!!!
- Zendikar Resurgent because cards + mana = happiness
Onto the cards I would suggest cutting:
- Elixir of Immortality . Your deck doesn't ever want to be in a game where this utility would be useful. This card simply doesn't do much. You already have Eternal Witness and if you really want a late-game reload, try Creeping Renaissance or Seasons Past .
- Gigantosaurus is alright, but I'm not in love with a 10/10 with no abilities. I know, I know, he makes Ghalta cost only 2, but I still think there are better options. Trust me when I say a creature with some sort of utility is preferable here. Ideas include the aforementioned Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage or a fight creature such as Thorn Mammoth or even another removal creature like Woodfall Primus or Terastodon (sorry, I know these are all really high CMC). Generally, cards that don't have some sort of utility are just not going to save your life when things get ugly.
- New Horizons and Gift of Paradise could be replaced with faster ramp. For the sake of having creatures (for cards like Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer , not to mention Ghalta, Primal Hunger ), it would even be better to run Wood Elves , Springbloom Druid , Yavimaya Dryad , or Farhaven Elf .
- Diamond Mare just isn't relevant. Sorry, but if you are in a position where gaining a small amount of life matters, odds are any other good green card would have done more to prevent you from being in such a bad spot. Your deck wants to be the aggressor, and quite honestly your offense will be so scary that most opponents wouldn't even consider attack out of fear of provoking you and simultaneously tapping their defenders. It isn't uncommon for a Green deck to retain the highest life total for a long time without the need for lifegain.
- I think you have a few too many artifacts. Remember that your commander LOVES having creatures on the field, so finding ways to turn your artifact utility into creature utility will go far.
- Staff of Nin is very slow and could be something like Garruk's Packleader instead.
All things considered, you've got a reasonably strong lineup. In a broad sense, I would recommend finding ways to include creatures with utility, since Ghalta appreciates bodies on the board and interaction allows you to curb your opponents' shenanigans as much as possible. Additionally and as I noted, there are fairly budget-friendly ramp options for the deck that are purely faster. Remember to keep a close eye on your Ramp and Draw, as these are the lifeblood of a commander deck, midrange especially.
It is worth mentioning that I never go below 34 lands. 35, and 36 are usually safe, so if you find yourself land-starved just add like 2 Forests and that should help.
Overall, you've done a good job though. Good luck making edits and please feel free to contact me about further changes/advice. I LOVE deckbuilding and Green is one of my colors ;)
1 month ago
1 month ago
For creature decks like this, I try to prioritize not just big creatures but also creatures that can replace noncreature spells. This lets your deck be interactive while not deviating from the main plan.
Surrak, the Hunt Caller is a haste enabler that can also be played with Mayael! To make matters even better, he's
Blazing Archon because why not?
Apex Altisaur can remove a lot of creatures for you.
1 month ago
mayael is so much fun! There are so many big creatures that she's easy toHere are some thoughts I've got for you.
Surrak, the Hunt Caller is a haste enabler at 5 power but only 4 mana. He's great to just cast, to get with Mayael, and gives haste!
Thorn Mammoth and Apex Altisaur are removal on a stick. Creature decks like Mayael love having creatures that also work like instants/sorceries. Almost strictly better than Territorial Allosaurus who can't trigger with Mayael's ability anyway. Definitely better than Gruul Ragebeast who forces even your mana dorks to fight, usually killing them.
Ilharg, the Raze-Boar does everything Mayael can't do, covering your largest weakness of not being able to cast cards from your hand!
Seedborn Muse is one of the best upgrades for your deck. Using Mayael on every turn? Sign me up!
Etali, Primal Storm solves any problems you have with card advantage. He wins games. Period.
Speaking of card advantage, Soul of the Harvest gets cards and has over 5 power.
3 months ago
A couple of fun cards I'd think about looking at: Mayael's Aria can be a ton of fun. Apex Altisaur is an amazing board wipe for the deck, as is Bane of Progress . Faeburrow Elder is an excellent mana dork that can tap for 3 mana, Drumhunter is slow for a mana dork but also draws cards. Congregation at Dawn is handy for picking a creature to have Mayael dump onto the battlefield
5 months ago
I think you may have mixed something up... You have 8 Goreclaw and Raptor Hatchling. I assume there was meant to be 8 forests and mountains instead?