|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Snake Hydra
Hooded Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Hooded Hydra dies, put a 1/1 green Snake creature token onto the battlefield for each +1/+1 counter on it.
As Hooded Hydra is turned face up, put five +1/+1 counters on it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (27)||rebelteddybear , Clawsun73 , Cyrk , Doom_of_Valyria , jstn.mrrtt , admizell , marcus638 , Epidilius , Riders_of_Brohan , teslacoil7992 , saj0219 , AcidZephyr , Swamy , ShishkyBob , bfarber91 , bakeraj4 , DudeMan1031 , , AllDayTayTay , Bad_Dog , LoneCrusader399 , CAPT.Shock , Kvothe1115 , Auriel , Friedrice24 , joshw335 , Justinaut|
|Want (31)||joshw335 , timmyb , SeditiousCanary , BringerOfStorms , CrugXC , AlphaSp , Talonisnthavingit , Thotny , macros , Rathe , Franck8666 , DeifiedExile , golgariizzet , Melmo , Henryen , Blindoromo , rakdos24 , king0fclubs , puppixx , obitus , bekeleven , booyah007 , Noobincube , AntiheroFOREVER , yeoldsmithy , POV_Dave , Willshire610 , kovellen , notsaying , Snydog17 , Dantheman18|
Hooded Hydra Discussion
1 month ago
Hooded Hydra and Vastwood Hydra look like the only creatures you'd like to sacrifice to High Market, but I think it might be better to just let those threats of gained/retained value upon death be an upside in the event they are the target of removal. You could probably swap this out for another ramp card or mana rock. I'm counting 8 sources of ramp currently. You could probably benefit from more. Considering the number of X spells you have, your "real" curve is probably a little high.
2 months ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
2 months ago
Me again. Sorry for spamming. :D
You updated the Deck for Battlebond. Personally I feel some of the cards are not budget cards anymore, I will not add them to my deck.
Take a look at Together Forever as well. It is an Enchatnment for WW and supports (+1/+1 counter oon each of up to two creatures) on ETB, which is okay. But: You can pay 1 whenever you want to return any one creature with a counter on it to it's owners hand if it dies during the current turn. This could excelerate this deck mid to end game if you have enough Mana to cast Reyhan over and over again. It can also work quite well with one of the creatures which put tokens onto the battlefield (i.e. Hooded Hydra). More tokens mean more mana from Ashnod's Altar, which means more counters for the next casting which happens the same turn thanks to Together Forever.
3 months ago
For example, Hooded Hydra enters with X +1/+1 counters when cast normally. If it were to be cast some other way, Collected Company for instance, would effects like Winding Constrictor and Hardened Scales see the "Zero" +1/+1 counters it enters with because the card specifically mentions entering with them, or is zero not considered a number for this purpose, which would cause the hydra to die instantly as a state based action?
3 months ago
I would consider running Hooded Hydra and maybe a Chasm Skulker with all the ramp and card draw you have. It would grant more protection from board wipes while also allowing you some big heavy hitters you could make unblockable.
3 months ago
Was building my own Ghalta deck and came upon your's while trying to get an idea of what direction to go in. I like the +1/1 counter synergy and I think you could build off it more if you wanted. For instance: Triskelion, although more expensive, is functionally another Walking Ballista, this increases the chance of drawing one or the other, as well as reduces the risk of having it removed/exiled. Asceticism is also a good protector.
However this can go beyond the infinite +1/1s and (using them as a base) Crystalline Crawler/Workhorse can give infinite mana, Mindless Automaton can give infinite card draw, Spike Feeder can give infinite life, & Hooded Hydra/Hydra Broodmaster can give you infinite creatures that in turn will also have infinite P/T.
I realize that if you have even 1 creature that has trample (like Ghalta) then all this doesn't really matter except in extreme situations (Worship, Phyrexian Unlife combos, Platinum Angel, etc.) I still think it's a useful thing to consider.
3 months ago
Not what you're looking for? You Need draw or ways to exploit Hydra baby. Ashnod's Altar + Ivy Lane Denizen = infinite colorless and creatures ETB (+Hardened Scales or Panharmonicon= Infinite Hydra Or Warstorm Surge which would be better as Impact Tremors will win you the game!) That all seems like a good addition as does Rishkar's Expertise with your curve. You've got a ton of fatties... maybe a Selvala, Heart of the Wilds? Draw and Ramp! (And @ $20, it's not gonna get any cheaper any time soon)
I'm all-in on your use of Enrage as a mechanic! (That'll set you apart from your boring counterparts). Ripjaw Raptor and Silverclad Ferocidons (What's a Ferocidon? sounds angry) are both AWESOME adds to this meta.
Keep fixing and fiddling but keep your goal in mind: Win by... Big plays and Cheat things out with strong ramp to support.
Watch out for Red/Green's Cryptonite: Lack of draw and Board Bounces and Wipes.
4 months ago
I really like this list. I'd give a little consideration to Druid's Deliverance Sundering Growth Alive // Well Rhys the Redeemed Second Harvest Wayfaring Temple and Hooded Hydra and Triumph of the Hordes but you have most of the good stuff there.
When you choose to run green, you need to look at the tools and synergies it opens up- Most G/W token lists I've seen have been splinter-twin esque Village Bell-Ringer/Presence of Gond combo lists ruinning Glittering Wish. Certainly, a light combo subtheme is very much an option with the variety of token-combo tools in green, taking advantage of Chord of Calling and Sprout Swarm