Creature — Human Wizard
Morph (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for . Turn it face up any at time for its morph cost.)
When Voidmage Apprentice is turned face up, counter target spell.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks Anthology (DD3)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Chandra (DD2)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Voidmage Apprentice occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Voidmage Apprentice Discussion
2 days ago
I did not even think about the Vesuvan Brine combo, thank you for mentioning it.
Although I could see the benefits of Voidmage Apprentice, however I never really thought that a counter for 4 mana is any good, unless it adds some good things, like Kheru Spellsnatcher. Although I might reconsider about Voidmage, depending on where I go with the deck.
Write into Being does feel underwhelming to me too, yet I think with Kadena it adds some value (a 2/2 creature and a card draw) as well as using Primordial Mist you can always play the manifest if it isn't a creature.
But thank you for the feedback DankMagicianD
5 days ago
You might already know this, but since you didn't have it in the description: Brine Elemental and Vesuvan Shapeshifter also locks down your opponents. Voidmage Apprentice is a great addition to the deck as well. As for what to take out for it, Write into Being has always felt underwhelming for me unless I hit a morph creature, which isn't consistent enough to make me love the card.
3 months ago
3 months ago
Like Tylord2894 mentioned, special actions do not use the stack.
3 months ago
It should also be noted that special actions can still go on the stack with split second as well. This means if you had a face-down Voidmage Apprentice or Stratus Dancer, you could morph it to counter the Krosan Grip when a conventional counterspell wouldn't work.
5 months ago
Chromeshell Crab Ainok Survivalist Backslide Brine Elemental Broodhatch Nantuko Cloudform Dragon's Eye Savants Ebonblade Reaper Echo Tracer Master of the Veil Mischievous Quanar Mistfire Weaver Rattleclaw Mystic Silumgar Spell-Eater Temur War Shaman Unblinking Bleb Voidmage Apprentice Weaver of Lies Zoetic Cavern Dream Chisel Ixidor, Reality Sculptor
5 months ago
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Not a wizard. Already have draw elsewhere.
- Gather Specimens: Fairly expensive. Most of the time just gets one creature. Feels bad to play against.
- Clone: Not a wizard (unless we clone one of our wizards)
- Willbender: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Voidmage Apprentice: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Deadeye Navigator: Not a wizard. Offers some protection for VIPs and synergy with ETB effects, but we can probably find more utility elsewhere.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: Not a wizard. Scry is ok, but we have draw elsewhere. Not swinging, so the unblockable component isn't used much.
- Ixidron: Not a wizard. Hides our wizards. We have other boardwipe options.
- Skullclamp: We prefer to keep our wizards on the board, and we don't have many tokens to sac to this, so we can get more draw elsewhere.
- Ancestral Memories: Decent filtering, but we can get more draw and other utility elsewhere.
- Simic Manipulator: Slow to build up. Not many big bodies to keep him growing.
- Urza's Bauble: Just filler.
- Fact or Fiction: We get enough draw elsewhere, we don't really need conditional draw.
- Treasure Cruise: Potentially cheap draw is good, but we don't fill up our graveyard quickly and we generally want to keep things in there if we can.
- Guile: Not a wizard. Fairly big body, and synergy with counters, but a bit too threatening. Want to keep a lower profile.
- Stonybrook Banneret: Make all of our wizards cheaper.
- Thassa's Oracle: Make draw a win condition
- Laboratory Maniac: Make draw a win condition.
- Dakra Mystic: Some group hug to make as a less likely target.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance: Value without tapping. Synergy with spells and counters.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept: Counterspells on a stick.
- Naban, Dean of Iteration: Value without tapping. Synergy with ETB effects.
- Graceful Adept: Value without tapping. Uncaps hand size.
- Patron Wizard: All wizards are now cheap counterspells.
- Portal Mage: Send a big bad away. Synergy with Naban.
- Sage of Fables: Makes wizards bigger. Allows for more draw, without needing to tap. Synergy with Naban.
- Glen Elendra Archmage: Repeatable counters when combined with Sage of Fables.
- Surgespanner: Repeatable bounce when combined with Azami, Lady of Scrolls or Patron Wizard
- High Tide: Instant speed ramp. Cheap enough to throw on Isochron Scepter
- Cyclonic Rift: Clear the board. Roughly replaces Ixidron
9 months ago
@ClockworkSwordfish: This leaves us w/ one more cut. Ironically, I do have several candidates.
A: Clever Impersonator : This could work as it affect nonland permanents. That said, this is either Too good, or Too "Board hates you, & will target you all against you." Where would you hide?
B: One of the 2 Licids: Turning them into Auras is great, forcing one to equip to an Indestructible Creature so nobody can mess w/ you, in addition to one that thieves an opposing creature. We have Archetype of Endurance here so the only thing that could save such a target is Shroud; & that's an endangered species right now. I'm unsure about cutting the salt for this...
C: Stratus Dancer : Even less limited than Voidmage Apprentice ; & that can at least counter any target spell. This one is extremely limited to just Nonpermanents as a whole. Even if this deck can incorporate a way to flip one Morph up, activate their ability, & go back face down, this is regardless a Creature/Land only Deck. It would have to have a way to do something that's either a creature, a land, & nothing outside that. PURELY IMPOSSIBBLE.
I think I might already have decided, but I'd like an opinion from another.