|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- descent of the Dragons and shaman of forgotten ways interaction
- Is Xenagos, God of Revels a Creature spell when cast if your Devotion to Red/Green is less than 7?
- Can shaman of forgotten ways mana ability be used in conjunction with mastery of the unseen manifest ability.
- Omnath and Shaman of Forgotten Ways
- Oath of Nissa
Shaman of Forgotten Ways
Creature — Human Shaman
: Add two mana in any combination of colours to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells.
Formidable — , : Each player's life total becomes the number of creatures he or she controls. Activate this ability only if creature you control have total power 8 or greater.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (21)||NOGzFTW , pokemate0 , Famicomania , thetechzombie , ibraJG84 , ironax , JAT0 , DrLitebur , gildan_bladeborn , , sonnet666 , TheRealPeaches , MagnaAura , jstn.mrrtt , The_Munchkin , philktoken8998 , MoJoMiXuP , MattN7498 , Esquire_ , TheAlmostHero , sneferie|
|Want (4)||samuelianstorm , fireborne1986 , pskinn01 , mazrimtaim|
Shaman of Forgotten Ways Discussion
2 days ago
1 week ago
Ruric is aswesome, but he becomes even more so if you add some creature-induced mana-generation to his deck. There are plenty of options for this; here are some of the ones I'm using:
- Birds of Paradise; not the cheapest card to acquire, but nice, cheap-CMC mana dork in a multi-color deck;
- Sylvan Caryatid; cheaper to obtain than birds, and is protected from point-removal;
- Gyre Sage; considering your deck is filled to the brim with strong creatures, this creature's mana-generation potential is pretty good;
- Shaman of Forgotten Ways; fantastic mana generation for a creature-heavy deck;
- Somberwald Sage; see: Shaman of Forgotten Ways;
- Karametra's Acolyte; great in a deck containing lots of green permanents;
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds; expensive card to obtain, but boy ow boy is it useful in a deck like yours.
Aside from these ramping options, there are some more draw options to consider like:
- Garruk's Packleader; in a creature-heavy deck like yours, helps you to draw lots of additional cards.
- Elemental Bond; enchantment-version of Garruk's Packleader.
A great way to get some additional acceleration, is by using:
- Lurking Predators; this makes your opponents very wary when it comes to spell-casting; every single thing they do might result in you being able to launch some free bomb-shells.
- Primal Surge; not so much an accelerator as it is a game-finisher in your deck's case. Still, it gets your fantastic beasties out en mass, which is fun.
Last but not least, have you ever considered adding life-gain equipment artifacts to the deck? Attaching stuff like Basilisk Collar, Loxodon Warhammer or Batterskull to Ruric, will make it even more beneficial for you whenever an opponent casts a spell. Additionally, it will prevent you from being harmed by Ruric's damage-ability whenever you cast something non-creature like.
I hope some of this helps. If you feel inclined, I'd love to receive some of your feedback on one of my decks. So please, feel free to review one (or more) of them. Happy brewing and playing!
1 week ago
Alright so initial thoughts: needs more ramp, needs more card draw and needs more interaction.
Ramp: You are in green so there is a lot of really good and cheep ramp you should add. You have the three two mana rampent growths which are good, but you should have at least 10 pieces of ramp in your deck, generally I like the higher mana ones that get two lands. The two mana ones are better in faster playgroups, but with how slow our games usually are, card efficiency and advantage is more important in my opinion. Cards I suggest: Cultivate, Explosive Vegetation, Kodama's Reach. You might also consider running all the signets though you may not need them. Also a note on mana, I'd say you should still run at least 36 lands, 34 is a bit low. For budget reasons you can probably cut the scry lands too. Look at: Kazandu Refuge, Highland Lake, Simic Guildgate, Timber Gorge, Woodland Stream. You also need to add some Mountains to your deck, at least 4 I'd say. You can also try to reduce the number of tap lands but yeah.
Card draw: One note first, make sure you add Ancestral Statue. Honestly your card draw isn't to to bad. I'd include Fierce Empath to for tutors, Skullclamp is always great card draw too. Secret Plans is cheap and goes with your deck. Trail of Mystery is also a good card, remember you can unmorph inside of combat too. Salt Road Ambushers is also a morph card that goes really well with other morph creatures. Remember megamorph is the same thing as morph, except when it flips it gets an extra +1/+1 counter. Whisperwood Elemental is crazy good card advantage too. Ixidor, Reality Sculptor is really crazy good when you can turn expensive un-morph creatures face up for only 3 mana too. Master of the Veil is also really good to rebuy some of the unmorph effects.
Interaction: This is one you could use some more work on. Most of your interaction will come from creatures but you still need to have some. For artifact and enchantment destruction you should be running a few of these: Acidic Slime, Nantuko Vigilante And a few ways to interact with creatures: Thousand Winds And maybe some spell removal: Beast Within, Primal Command, Shatterstorm.
Cards I dont think are pulling their weight: Recurring Insight is bad imo, if you want Fact or Fiction is better I'd say. Ashcloud Phoenix really slow and probably not going to recur. Broodhatch Nantuko interesting if you block a big creature and unmoroh it but even then I dont think its that good. Dawntreader Elk unless you are returning it from the graveyard I like other ramp more. Desolation Twin only good when you are ahead and even then questionable. Fathom Seer good card, but may not always have two islands, or just needs to be a consideration when you are ramping. Protean Hulk really good for combos and sometimes ok for value. In your deck of high cmc creatures though not as good. Unless he's a combo piece I'd say you can cut him. Thelonite Hermit dont think its worth it. Thought Harvester good if you are comboing it with Ancestral Statue or the like for a game winning combo, so probably fine, doesn't do much if you are not comboing though. Tishana, Voice of Thunder probably only good if you are already winning, may be fine but also cuttable for budget reasons. Flash really doesnt need to be here. Swan Song is a great card but can also probably be cut.
On other notes, your curve is looking pretty good, and overall it looks like a good deck. You can move a few cards around for budget reasons, but really your almost as low as you can go. Cards you can probably cut for budget reasons: Solemn Simulacrum, Voidmage Prodigy, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, Rootbound Crag, Protean Hulk, Cinder Glade, and Swan Song. Other than that it gets iffy I'd say. Let me know if you have any further questions.
2 weeks ago
I don't know what your budget is for this deck, but just because your removing a lot of your opponents plays, won't make the deck competitive, it might make it annoying and drawn out, but not competitive. I personally can't stand competitive decks, but if that's what he wants, speed and win-cons are the key. Hyper competitive decks always know how they want to win, and then everything in the deck helps get their faster. Personally Prossh is a much better Jund commander for competitive play, but if your sold on Wasitora, you'll need to lower the mana curve and speed up the deck to make sure your more competitive. Commander damage and infect are probably the best win cons. I would build in sac engines to turn the 3/3's into cards or mana, then pump Wasitora as much as you can. Hopefully you can slow your opponent's enough with her sac trigger that you shouldn't need a ton of targeted removal. Cards like Fervor, Fires of Yavimaya and Xenagos, God of Revels can really speed things up. Shaman of Forgotten Ways can end games quickly too. You might also want additional combat phases to remove more than one opponent per turn, and limit swing back. Breath of Fury with a haste maker basically says I attack until everyone dies.
Good Luck with the deck, I'm sure your friend will love it no matter what! I had a friend make a deck for me once, best gift ever! You're a cool friend for doing this.
3 weeks ago
I'm currently building a version very similar under the combo theme, however your list certainly looks a bit more aggressive in it's search. I'm usually one to avoid the old bordered cards, but in the case of most of yours they seem worth dealing with. The main reason I decided to comment though, was to ask if you were building this, without access to Gaddock, Linvala, and any lands over $30, ESPECIALLY Gaea's Cradle, would that alter your list any beyond those cards? I've spent a lot of time acquiring these cards, but don't just have the money for those big guys right off.
Also, if these wouldn't warrant making a heavy list change, which I doubt they'd have that much impact, other than the cradle, what would you personally try to add in their place? I'm currently running Harvest Season,Mirari's Wake , Zendikar Resurgent, Planar Bridge, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, and Staff of Domination, which appear to be the biggest changes from your list.
1 month ago
Thanks for the feedback bud, I'm going to respond to some of the cards individually to give a more clear explanation for why I put them in there, and then we can maybe chat more about alternatives to some of the suggested cards. I'm planning on removing the Testing cards because I think it is a misnomer. Those are cards that weren't in a lot of other Sigarda decks, not particularly cards that I wanted the most feedback on. But that's my fault for not clarifying.
- Beastmaster Ascension, Cathars' Crusade, Door of Destinies, and True Conviction are what I would consider the primary win condition cards of the deck. They do generate a lot of heat, but that's why there are four of them. Hopefully during a game I would expect to see two of them. To be honest, I much prefer counters over static effects for two reasons: they stick around when the buff is removed, and static effects turn off things like Mentor of the Meek.
- Bow of Nylea is primarily in the deck because people don't like blocking deathtouch creatures. The activated abilities are insignificant in my opinion. If i have extra mana before my next untap phase I will add a +1/+1 counter to Sigarda, or tuck four cards back in my library if Angel of Glory's Rise is dead. I could definitely see the argument for cutting this card, and you mention better stuff, but do you have any recommendations for a mass combat enabler?
- Descendants' Path and Duskwatch Recruiter Flip are a way of seeing more of my deck. Selensya doesn't have a lot of multiple draw cards, and the ones that do are typically creature specific. The only card I would be genuinely sad to tuck is Angel of Glory's Rise, and both of these cards would either cast her, or put her into my hand. Also keep in mind I have 9 cards that make me shuffle my deck, or tucking things to the bottom of my library doesn't mean I won't see them. Also I don't want Duskwatch Recruiter Flip to flip, his activated ability is significantly more impactful than the generic ramp, in my opinion.
- The main difference between Grand Abolisher and Dosan the Falling Leaf is that Grand Abolisher stops people from doing things on my turn, Dosan the Falling Leaf forces people to play instants at sorcery speed, and doesn't stop activated abilities. I think Dosan either fizzles to things that I want to stop (Karlov of the Ghost Council, Spore Frog, and sacrifice effects), and only really messes with spellslinger type decks.
- I like Eerie Interlude when someone has Nevinyrral's Disk type effects out, but until you know someone has a board wipe, or you're going to combo it with your own board wipe, you're basically holding up three mana all the time. I would love suggestions on a permanent that will do this instead.
- I understand Magus of the Disk and Shaman of Forgotten Ways are removal targets, and that they have to survive a full rotation, but keep in mind that besides a board wipe, they both require two removal interactions because Sigarda, Heron's Grace will be out anytime they are. Magus of the Disk is in here to combo with Odric, Lunarch Marshal, though I admit that combo is a little jank. Shaman of Forgotten Ways is in there to shut down some of the lifegain elements or many of the decks I've seen, and because with the exception of a token deck, I expect to have the most number of creatures out. If you were to cut these two cards, what would you replace with them?
- Oblivion Ring is okay. I intentionally picked him over Fiend Hunter or Banisher Priest because enchantments have the least amount of removal, compared to the other nonland permanent types. If I was in Orzhov I would cut this for Anguished Unmaking or some similar effect.
- Thalia's Lancers: Don't forget Bow of Nylea and Tamiyo's Journal are also tutorable. Though most of the time I would be tutoring for one of the Odrics, or Kamahl, Fist of Krosa late game for the win.
- Werebear to me is the perfect mana dork. If I see him early, he provides me with a lot of ramp. If I see him late, he's a 5/5 human for CMC 2. There are a lot of Human mana dorks, but none of them save Shaman of Forgotten Ways does anything else of use.
Sorry that was longer than expected. About your recommendations:
- Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade: To see for Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, you'd have to draw both of those, or one and Thalia's Lancers. The chance of seeing that happen in a game is somewhere in the ballpark of 10% after seeing 20 cards, so not great. I'm not really sure they have enough value on their own to justify that, I'd rather invest two slots in things that help my already big creatures get damage through.
- Sun Titan: Does not fit the tribal restrictions. Also, I don't really want a recursion sub-theme. There are cards to do it, but in my opinion, if you're going to do recursion, you want an engine of sorts, and that is getting too close to Marchesa. Plus recurring creatures doesn't really have a win condition unless it is an engine. They are valuable sure, but that's why Angel of Glory's Rise is the only recursion card in here.
- Oketra's Monument: I've never been a super fan of reducing generic mana costs, but only three of the white creatures won't benefit from this. I really wish the tokens were Humans, but to be honest this is a definitely maybe to include. I'm not sure what I would swap this with though, any opinions?
- Hero of Bladehold: Same slight problem with Oketra's Monument, but from my research, I can't find many good Human token generators. I might swap this with Angelic Overseer.
- Marshal's Anthem: Its CMC 4 to cast, and CMC 2*X to bring back. Unless I have Mirari's Wake out, I'm probably only bringing back 1 or 2 creatures, and the +1/+1 isn't really significant enough in my opinion. I'd rather try and fit in Collective Blessing somewhere.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc
Flip: I think this card is really cool, and I think that I wouldn't cast this unless it was going to flip the same turn. Having Gaea's Cradle for CMC 3 can be really powerful, but I don't really know what ramp I would cut. Maybe Karametra, God of Harvests? The only problem I'm seeing with this is that it is mana not , and the overwhelming majority of stuff I want to do is in white.
I would love more draw, but there isn't a lot of good draw sources in Selesnya that I can find. Have you found any that you would recommend? The main reason I have a low CMC is because all of the things I have to draw with cost mana, Like investigating, Mentor of the Meek, Duskwatch Recruiter Flip, etc. So the hope is to be able to funnel the extra mana into those draw sources. I have not really addressed the lands as of yet, but if from playtesting Reliquary Tower is needed, I'll slot it in, but I think Thought Vessel is a waste unless you are drawing an exponential amount of cast from things like Rhystic Study.
I have some cards that I'm interested in getting your opinion on, and some potential swaps that I'd also like you opinion on. I'll redo the Testing category and the maybeboard, then ask you to reconvene later if that's okay?
1 month ago
So, first off on your testing category I'll go through each card.
- Beastmaster Ascension - I think its a keep, but only if you can get a decent amount of creatures out. The downside though, is, like Cathar's Crusade, it's gonna get targeted fast.
- Bow of Nylea - I personally don't like the card. It's got a lot of stuff you can do with it, and Deathtouch is cool, but, I feel like there's a lot better stuff out there suiting your deck
- Descendants' Path - It's iffy. You've got 33 Creatures, so there's a 1/3 chance it could work in theory, but, you risk passing cards you might need.
- Dosan the Falling Leaf - Dosan works really well to keep yourself protected from Instants on your turn and such. I think it fits. Its nothing too crazy, but still a good pillow to lean on. Plus its another body, so, with buffs that definitely fits the bill.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip - It kinda fits in with Descendants' Path, but, instead offers a really good cost reduction when flipped. The only downside it, will it actually flip a lot? I know with my deck, I can usually play 2 spells in one turn, and that also limits you as well.
- Eerie Interlude - Perfect. Great way to survive a boardwipe, and if you have consistent buffs instead of counters, it doesn't even hurt you.
- Magus of the Disk - This dude is literally a "use your removal on this please" card. I like him though, cause, it causes everyone to kind of freak out and throws off their game. It slows down the board to try and deal with him instead.
- Oblivion Ring - I say keep, because most the time, we're worried about creature removal, and not really enchantment removal. It's kind of thing that's never really top priority.
- Shaman of Forgotten Ways - Great mana dork, but, will probably not last. It's also a removal heavy target. If you want good ramp, there are other cards, but if you want people to waste their removal, then cool.
- Song of the Dryads - Karlov. Never forget. But for reals, this is a great card because it applies to any permanent. I think its a keep.
- Thalia's Lancers - You've got 9 Legendary Creatures. I think its a good fit, because all those creatures do vastly different things, so, you can tutor for what you want. Plus, if you had a small recursion theme, you can ping it multiple times.
- True Conviction - This is another removal target. But, it definitely would work for end game. I think its a keep.
- Werebear - A 2 CMC mana dork is pretty cool, but, you might be able to get something better to fit the bill.
So, here are some cards I found that could fit the deck pretty well, but, again, it's your call.
- Bruna, the Fading Light - She can help with a recursion sub-theme, considering it's strictly Angels or Humans, it wont hurt you. Plus its a 5/7 flyer with Vigilance. Definitely fills the beater category, and can combine with Gisela to be huge and control heavy.
- Gisela, the Broken Blade - 4 CMC for a 4/3 Flying, First Strike, and Lifelink. Plus, again, you can combine it with Bruna to make Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, which shuts down a lot of stuff and is huge.
- Sun Titan - Following the recursion, over 50% of your deck is 3 CMC or less. I think this is a given.
- Oketra's Monument - 72% of your creatures are White. This helps with cost reduction, and you get a 1/1 token along with it.
- Hero of Bladehold - This check can fit your beater category and helps create more tokens so you can overrun your opponents. Plus gives a +1/0 bonus to every creature attacking when it attacks.
- Marshal's Anthem - You'll have enough mana to use this as a quick comeback from a boardwipe, and when it hits the battlefield everything you have gets a +1/+1.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip - I think you should be in a good position at most times to flip this the turn its cast. More mana is always helpful.
So, that's all I have right now. I think you've got to low a CMC to have such little draw. I think more draw would benefit you exponentially, so you can ramp out and get ahead of people by playing 2 or 3 things a turn. That's all I can think of for now. I would definitely put in Reliquary Tower and Though Vessel if you do though, just in case.