|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Shaman Ally
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (36)||tragic_slip , Hootiequack , unnaturalelementals , carsickpanda273 , Ellyreia , Nemesis , Famicomania , Snydog17 , joshw335 , Atroxreaper , thetechzombie , KB2187 , ecurps , GoldGhost012 , Tommuz , ibraJG84 , Caldazar , Lucretian , NobleSlay3r , gildan_bladeborn , angesoir , Mousemke , marcus638 , Fineontheoutside , mziter501 , Va1mar , saj0219 , mcstang1986 , Kleptozaniac , ninjaclevs13 , PTsmitty , ducttapedeckbox , Mortiferus_Rosa , bakeraj4 , MagnaAura , Pylioz|
|Want (15)||kodie53 , Obze , Gryffix , Skwarka , marsp44 , Talonisnthavingit , Arcaedic , kvfd1719 , Rathe , Shoten , ostiarius , SurfyBasilisk , relyks16 , oswrick , MagnaAura|
Beastcaller Savant Discussion
3 weeks ago
Iquasi, thanks for posting this list. Yours is one of a very few non combo (or minimal combo) Animar lists that is being actively updated.
I am not playing Ancestral Statue but am interested in making the deck efficient outside of combo.
Survival of the Fittest is the only tutor I am playing that you are not.
What changes would you recommend to increase the efficiency of my deck without adding infinite combos?
1 month ago
Armed // Dangerous another CMC2 Double Strike, $0.21. Downside is it's Sorcery.
Archetype of Aggression, gives all your creatures Trample, $0.39. 6 ground + 4 flying (partial evasion) don't have trample, thats 1/2 your available hitters, including 1 infect.
Gruul Signet, CMC2 Rock, $0.30.
Farseek, CMC2 Ramp!!, $0.27.
Flameblast Dragon won't get his doubled. Timing is off.
Slagstorm scary because it wipes out the dorks, but I understand the thinking, with Cats/Snakes/Vampires.
Arbor Elf, CMC1 Dork, $0.26.
Beastcaller Savant, CMC2, But he has Haste, $0.40 though.
Heart Warden, annoying at CMC2, but can draw a card if late in the game if he's a dead draw, $0.20. Modular is sometimes nice, especially in longer games.
Explore might work pretty well with 40 lands, and it draws a card, so maintains your card-advantage and ramp advantage. I also feel you have quite a bit (too many) lands with all the additional ramp/dorks you have? Might try 38 instead.
Thunderfoot Baloth $1.69, but has trample, with Xenagos is 14 Trample, and gives all other creatures Trample. The best of the Trample enablers mentioned for sure.
Artisan of Kozilek he is 10/9 (20/19 with Xenagos), Returns a creature from your graveyard to the battlefield (not hand), and has Annihilator 2 (Opponent sacrifices 2 permanents, with haste from Xenagos) for $0.43. I have lots of this guy, I'll bring you one.
Maybe with some shuffling of mana sources you can free up cash for Malignus, but he's quite expensive. Tough for budget.
Phyrexian Hydra another Infect guy. Makes it easier to kill 3 players.
Khenra Charioteer more trample, hes a 3/3 so he's not shabby for CMC3. Probably don't need that much anyway.
Talisman of Impulse best non- non- mana source available for $0.33.
Explosive Vegetation is good, but $0.92 and CMC4, I'm not sure. Might look for another lower CMC one to ramp a little faster for that $. Go a bit faster.
I haven't seen this one work yet, See the Unwritten and at $0.82, I'd probably just draw another creature like a Artisan of Kozilek. If you get lucky and the stars align, maybe you get 2, but one might be an Elf. I'd rather just draw another key creature, instead of the randomness. If it was CMC5 or CMC4 and casting a CMC8 maybe, but it's CMC6 probably casting a CMC6 or lower (based on probability, I can calculate it when I have some more time)
Living Hive is in Main and Maybeboard.
I only like Momentous Fall (too expensive $), Deus of Calamity (enables Xenagos), Kavu Predator could be interesting in our Pod (vs cats/vamps anyway). Malignus if you can budget him in. Steel Hellkite good utility again CMC0 Snakes/Vampires for example. Thunderfoot Baloth.
Don't like anything else there.
I think, less lands -2 perhaps, cheaper ramp (and maybe 1 more), 1 more creature (infect guy preferably), reallocate some cash to make sure each creature is a finisher, like Avatar of Fury is kind of blah, if you can cast for 2 he's ok, but what you doing with the other mana that turn anyway, would rather pay the 6 for a finisher. Siege Dragon feels a little underpowered too, but can board wipe (cats/vamps/snakes), would rather use Steel Hellkite instead, better control, lower CMC.
Living Hive feels small for CMC8! Wtf, not sure what your doing with the 1/1 insects, that don't even fly.
That's about all I have for now +1.
Last_Laugh on animar
1 month ago
Again, I'd cut most of your non-creature spells. Most all of these effects can be replaced with creature versions.
I.e. counterspells can be Draining Whelk, Glen Elendra Archmage, and Stratus Dancer. Ramp/mana fixing can be any number of mana dorks like Utopia Tree, Bloom Tender, Manaweft Sliver, etc. and I'd 100% make room for Beastcaller Savant, Sakura-Tribe Elder, and Vizier of the Menagerie. Removal can be Duplicant or either Ulamog. Card draw can be Prime Speaker Zegana, Tishana, Voice of Thunder, Garruk's Packleader, and/or the only non-creature I'm suggesting, Glimpse of Nature. Graveyard recursion can be Eternal Witness and Den Protector.
2 months ago
Amazing deck! You may consider Somberwald Sage for Beastcaller Savant. Yes, it's one mana more, but he gives you crazy amounts of ramp. Also consider Elemental Bond as a way to draw cards of your big creatures.
I'll definitely save this deck for later, so I can build it myself!
2 months ago
Would suggest taking out the following
1) Planeswalkers: They are not accelerating your overall gameplan and are quite significant mana sinks since Animar only reduces creature costs.
2) Tapped/Bounce Lands: As Animar has a low cmc, having tapped/bounce lands reduces the speed at which you ramp up with mana and play your spells.
3) High devotion to color creatures: Since Animar reduces colorless mana cost, having high color devotion cards like Prime Speaker Zegana which requires 2 Green and Blue is not benefiting from your commander's ability, I suggest taking out cards that require 3-4 colored mana costs unless they are provide significant benefits.
Adding cards like 1) Mana dorks(e.g. Llanowar Elves, Wild Cantor, Beastcaller Savant etc.): Having more mana at your disposal gives you more options per turn. It also also Animar to drop in fast and start growing. Recommend mana dorks up to 2 cmc and preferably providing mana of any color. Beastcaller Savant has haste to tap immediately and provides flexibility in color.
2) Colorless Artifact Creature/Eldrazis (e.g. Ulamog's Crusher, Pathrazer of Ulamog: Since your deck appears to be going for creature beatdown, Eldrazis are your go to for the smackdown. Little to no color devotion and at a significant large Animar (i.e. +10/10), they drop almost for free. Void Winnower can really hurt your opponents since they can;t cast alot spells. Soul of New Phyrexia doubles as a beater and protection.
3) Card Draw/Advantage: Since you are dropping your cards at every turn, you need ways to refill your hand so you can either respond or recover if opponents disrupts your board. Cantrips works ok as they replace card for card but having additional cards draw is paramount in Commander format. Consider Soul of the Harvest, Primordial Sage, Mulldrifter as options to add in.
4) Counterspells: To protect your board once it grows big and fast as well as disrupting your opponents is important. Consider running a few counters depending on your playgroup level.
3 months ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
3 months ago
I run Beastcaller Savant for a haste trigger for Odric, Lunarch Marshal when I pull it with Protean Hulk. It allows for a gross swing with Odric buffs. I'll have to give the idea some thought because I do think Oketra's Monument should be in the deck.
3 months ago
I'm not a huge fan of Beastcaller Savant. I know you generally don't want to take away from the creature count in this style of deck but I think what Oketra's Monument offers is similar enough with a bigger pay off in most cases.