|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Shaman Ally
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (37)||tragic_slip , Hootiequack , unnaturalelementals , carsickpanda273 , Ellyreia , Nemesis , Famicomania , Snydog17 , joshw335 , Atroxreaper , thetechzombie , KB2187 , ecurps , GoldGhost012 , Tommuz , ibraJG84 , Caldazar , Lucretian , NobleSlay3r , gildan_bladeborn , angesoir , Mousemke , DudeMan1031 , marcus638 , Fineontheoutside , mziter501 , Va1mar , saj0219 , mcstang1986 , Kleptozaniac , Mortiferus_Rosa , PTsmitty , rakdos24 , bakeraj4 , JeremyTheMiner , MagnaAura , Pylioz|
|Want (12)||kodie53 , Gryffix , Skwarka , marsp44 , Talonisnthavingit , kvfd1719 , Rathe , Shoten , ostiarius , relyks16 , SurfyBasilisk , MagnaAura|
Beastcaller Savant Discussion
1 week ago
Amazing deck! You may consider Somberwald Sage for Beastcaller Savant. Yes, it's one mana more, but he gives you crazy amounts of ramp. Also consider Elemental Bond as a way to draw cards of your big creatures.
I'll definitely save this deck for later, so I can build it myself!
2 weeks ago
Would suggest taking out the following
1) Planeswalkers: They are not accelerating your overall gameplan and are quite significant mana sinks since Animar only reduces creature costs.
2) Tapped/Bounce Lands: As Animar has a low cmc, having tapped/bounce lands reduces the speed at which you ramp up with mana and play your spells.
3) High devotion to color creatures: Since Animar reduces colorless mana cost, having high color devotion cards like Prime Speaker Zegana which requires 2 Green and Blue is not benefiting from your commander's ability, I suggest taking out cards that require 3-4 colored mana costs unless they are provide significant benefits.
Adding cards like 1) Mana dorks(e.g. Llanowar Elves, Wild Cantor, Beastcaller Savant etc.): Having more mana at your disposal gives you more options per turn. It also also Animar to drop in fast and start growing. Recommend mana dorks up to 2 cmc and preferably providing mana of any color. Beastcaller Savant has haste to tap immediately and provides flexibility in color.
2) Colorless Artifact Creature/Eldrazis (e.g. Ulamog's Crusher, Pathrazer of Ulamog: Since your deck appears to be going for creature beatdown, Eldrazis are your go to for the smackdown. Little to no color devotion and at a significant large Animar (i.e. +10/10), they drop almost for free. Void Winnower can really hurt your opponents since they can;t cast alot spells. Soul of New Phyrexia doubles as a beater and protection.
3) Card Draw/Advantage: Since you are dropping your cards at every turn, you need ways to refill your hand so you can either respond or recover if opponents disrupts your board. Cantrips works ok as they replace card for card but having additional cards draw is paramount in Commander format. Consider Soul of the Harvest, Primordial Sage, Mulldrifter as options to add in.
4) Counterspells: To protect your board once it grows big and fast as well as disrupting your opponents is important. Consider running a few counters depending on your playgroup level.
1 month ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
1 month ago
I run Beastcaller Savant for a haste trigger for Odric, Lunarch Marshal when I pull it with Protean Hulk. It allows for a gross swing with Odric buffs. I'll have to give the idea some thought because I do think Oketra's Monument should be in the deck.
1 month ago
I'm not a huge fan of Beastcaller Savant. I know you generally don't want to take away from the creature count in this style of deck but I think what Oketra's Monument offers is similar enough with a bigger pay off in most cases.
2 months ago
Hey forneyt, I wanted to wait a bit and try out Protean Hulk more before I give you my thoughts. I run two sac outlets High Market and Miren, the Moaning Well. The strategy is to sac Protean Hulk to grab Odric, Lunarch Marshal with all your buffs and gods. I added Beastcaller Savant for haste (If you know a better haste creature please let me know) so that we can swing out the same turn we sac Protean while having Dragonlord Dromoka stopping any responses to our swing. It makes the deck so much more deadly with just an addition of two cards, and you can Mistveil Plains any of the combo pieces you lose as you play. The earliest I've won with Protean is turn 5, and he has yet to be a dead draw late game unless I simply don't have my sac outlets. I think you should give it a shot.
2 months ago
Well, if you want more god hands, run some of the god mana cards, like Boreal Druid, Carpet of Flowers, Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Elvish Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide, Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond, Rite of Flame and any of the other options.
Even Orcish Lumberjack should be run if you want the super fast mana ramp.
Creature - Orc
: Add three mana in any combination of colors.
, : Deal two damage to any target.
, : Gain two life.
Put a -1/-1 counter on Orcish Lumberjack: Untap Orcish Lumberjack.
( 1 / 3 )
Use em' or not, but thats how I would build the deck, you clearly know more about than I do though!