Creature — Spirit
When Rattlechains enters the battlefield, target Spirit gains hexproof until end of turn.
You may cast Spirit spells as though they had flash.
|Have (6)||IcyLightning , Mortiferus_Rosa , metalmagic , pskinn01 , gildan_bladeborn , TheAnnihilator|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Rattlechains occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.08%
1 month ago
This deck is beauteous. Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor could be a fun include since your general can tutor for Shields of Velis Vel ;) You might consider these too: Bishop of Wings, Rattlechains, Crested Sunmare, Risen Reef, Sigarda, Heron's Grace, Drogskol Captain, Hero of Goma Fada, Harabaz Druid, Wirewood Channeler, Midnight Entourage, Whelming Wave.
Also, the changeling champions (Changeling Berserker, Changeling Hero, Changeling Titan) could be neat since your general can tutor for them and if you loop all three of you get an arbitrary number of ETB triggers in any creature type. You could draw your deck with Azami or Risen Reef, blow up opponents' boards with Reaper King, get infinite life with Bishop of Wings!
3 months ago
Yes! Reaper King! That card has always been close to my heart, so it's always great to see a deck for him.
I've brewed with it extensively, so I have some suggestions for you:
Gilt-Leaf Archdruid , if it's within budget, allows for quite a bit of card draw and a win-condition attached to it.
Gisa and Geralf will be able to recur the changelings for later use.
Knight Exemplar is fantastic defense for your board, Azami, Lady of Scrolls can draw many cards, Sygg, River Guide can protect creatures, and Ingenious Infiltrator can be awesome if you start to swarm. With so many creatures, Call to the Kindred could be cute.
Reaper King is a massive target whenever he hits the field, so it's important to have a few backup plans.
Good luck with Scarecrows and Vindicate EVERYTHING!
Here is my own list: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/time-to-reap-3/
6 months ago
Thanks for the comment Loganrockwitch.
Lingering Souls is really nice yep!
I have tried Inq and Thoughts it can be really good but to be honest its so painful especially with the land pain so Id rather play spirits and get the clock ticking faster.
Countersquall is nice to have encase of board wipes and the 2 life loss can be game winning
6 months ago
Have you considered this Rattlechains to give your spirits flash?
7 months ago
8 months ago
With the recent Soulherder card that's going to be released soon, I am considering building a W/U tribal Spirit deck that centers around bouncing creatures to buff it up, as well as using ETB effects to lock down the opponent. Obviously I would use cards like Nebelgast Herald , Rattlechains , and Spell Queller , as well as cards like Essence Flux , Path to Exile , and maybe even Always Watching ? I'd also maybe like to include Geist of Saint Traft , Brago, King Eternal , and Drogskol Captain if I can, but they may not fit.
I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for card choices here? I pretty much have lands covered and most of the creatures, but any suggestions would be most welcome. I'd like to keep this tribal, too.
9 months ago
In an all-spirit deck like this, I wouldn't leave home without a set of Supreme Phantom . Rattlechains is also a cheap way of messing with combat math throughout the game. Since your two Spiritual Visits only have each other to splice on, I'd recommend something like Topplegeist in their place.
10 months ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...