|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
If Gemstone Caverns is in your opening hand and you're not playing first, you may begin the game with Gemstone Caverns in play with a luck counter on it. If you do, remove a card in your hand from the game.
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool. If Gemstone Caverns has a luck counter on it, instead add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Gemstone Caverns Discussion
3 days ago
I would try a full playset first that always seems to work the best for me because you're gonna want the highest chance you can get of drawing one in your opening hand. If four doesn't seem to work I would say three, but I wouldn't go any lower than that since it would be pretty unlikely you'd draw one in opening hands.
BTW, another sweet thing about Serum Powder is that they "chain together" really well... For Example:
1) You draw one in your opening hand so you exile that 7 and draw another 7
2) Now your chances of drawing another one in the second set of 7 cards just went up, and from then on it will always go up
3) In the end you will usually have a deck that is fairly smaller than usual making all your draws in the game more consistent
4) With decks like Bogles (Storm, Infect, Etc) where you need certain hands to get a good start you will now be at a great advantage because you can be much more aggressive with you mulligans because you will have a fairly decent chance of hitting a Serum Powder
Now that you will be able to find more specific hands before the game starts you get more options for cards you can add, the first thing I can think of that would add significant value to the deck is Gemstone Caverns
6 days ago
Yeah, Gemstone Caverns can be played from opening hand after initial draw and mulligans/scry take place, but before the 1st player actually plays anything ... which can enable the 2nd player to cast Instants as early as the 1st player's Upkeep :-D
If not played for the opener though, it's just a normal land drop.
I'm only aware of a few decks that have figured out how to (ab)use the card:
- Colorless Eldrazi, where it plays nicely with Serum Powder and Eternal Scourge , generally enabling a Turn 1 Chalice of the Void for X=1, or with Simian Spirit Guide and Eldrazi Temple for truly busted stuff.
- Rx Prison decks (usually Mono-R, but also RW and RB), for early Chalice, Ensnaring Bridge or Blood Moon .
- Mono-U Tron, for an early sideboard Chalice and (rarely) for counterspells.
Of note, it's Legendary, so more than one in the opener is kind of a bummer.
3 weeks ago
On a good hand T3 is the average, with any sort of tutor. As usually the go to is straight into Expropriate . Averagely nowadays with interruption it's on T6 with most hands.
I slowed the deck down, due to removing Mox Diamond to go into my Kess deck, as well as Gemstone Caverns so my bursty plays aren't as often. Since the addition of counterspells, it's been more resilient and with the reuse effect of Seasons Past I gain incremental advantage with every extra turn. Even if I don't go infinite turns, by the time I start the chain I have an overwhelming advantage and 1-2 players are usually killed since Intet is a big 6/6 flyer. I'm also curious on how your Yennett deck does as I wanted to build her, but decided against it since it would be exactly as your deck list :P
1 month ago
I also forgot to mention Lands. They are a bit on the expensive side of things but, lands such as: Gaea's Cradle , Serra's Sanctum (only if you add a few more enchantments), Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx , Savannah , Ancient Tomb , Gemstone Caverns and the 7 color-suited fetch lands you can run will really speed things up for this deck.
You should probably remove some of the "enter tapped lands" for lands such as City of Brass , Mana Confluence , Brushland , Flagstones of Trokair (bar-none the best Crop Rotation target), Inventors' Fair (another artifact tutor) and Dryad Arbor (cast Green Sun's Zenith x=0 and get an extra land drop on one of your turns).
1 month ago
Soren841 I didn't count Spellseeker in the list, simply said the Archaeomancer was part of a chain with it. Don't mess with my words now, whether we disagree about how a deck can have dead cards, my point stands.
Also, I never said these cards are dead entirely, sure, a 1 mana 1/1 isn't... dead, but it isn't gonna do a lot, so Wirewood Symbiote I consider a dead card without your commander. A colorless land that doesn't get extra mana like Gemstone Caverns or Ancient Tomb isn't a good card either, and is relatively dead without the commander.
1 month ago
Here might be some additional cards you can consider using:
- Life / Death
- Myth Unbound
- Gemstone Caverns
- Reyhan, Last of the Abzan
- Ring of Kalonia
- Ring of Xathrid
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Unspeakable Symbol
- Hunter's Insight
2 months ago
Gemstone Caverns occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.29%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.07%
W/U/B (Esper): 0.06%
BUG (Sultai): 0.09%