|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Mythic Rare|
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Legendary Creature — Angel
Flying, first strike
If a source would deal damage to an opponent or a permanent an opponent controls, that source deals double that damage to that player or permanent instead.
If a source would deal damage to you or a permanent you control, prevent half that damage, rounded up.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||warcry02 , ZombieFood , Dr_Jay , fireborne1986 , TehDelta , almeidafabio , mziter501 , Ferritt , Justinaut , joshw335 , bakunet , Fullmetalmage , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Gabeph , MattN7498 , Zelpoke , rebelteddybear , abby315|
|Want (7)||Fergernuggets , althekoolkid , TheAlmostHero , mlouden03 , brokendwarf , Vasbear1 , Poptartz95|
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight Discussion
6 hours ago
PhotogenicParasympathetic mmm well I have had a mardu Angel deck in the past. Are you only looking for mono white ones? I believe I have most of the good ones except linvala, so like Tariel, Gisela, Aurelia, the other flip avacyn etc. The only two im interested in keeping are the Angel of hope and tithes really, here is a list:
Gisela, the Broken Blade, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Archangel Avacyn, Restoration Angel, Aurelia, the Warleader, Admonition Angel, Bruna, the Fading Light, Herald of War(foil), Akroma, Angel of Fury, Serra Avenger, Radiant, Archangel, Emeria Angel, Tariel, Reckoner of Souls(comm, FTV, oversized versions), Anya, Merciless Angel, Angel of Despair, Exquisite Archangel, Reya Dawnbringer, and like 10 others under a dollar.
1 day ago
You would think Dark Confidant would be an issue, but in most cases he is not.
Metrics vs. 98 other random card draws:
0 CMC = 39%
1 CMC = 11%
2 CMC = 15%
That means 65% of the time he is hitting you for 0,1,2, 39% 0, that's very effective
3 CMC = 8%
4 CMC = 6%
79% of the time he is hitting less than 4 for the draw, only 14% 3 or 4
5 CMC = 7%
6 CMC = 4%
7 CMC = 7%
8 CMC = 2%
9 CMC = 1%
21% of the time he will hit for more than 5 for the draw, but only 3% of the time more than 7
He's a 2/1 blocker that may mitigate more or as much damage as he deals to you overall
He gives a fast (turn 1 often), card advantage to combo on turn 3/4 win, he can't kill you that fast even in a worst case, also meaning he's hit you with Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Razaketh, the Foulblooded (Win), Iona, Shield of Emeria (Probably Win)
10% of the time he will draw you a kill spell, if your in need to remove him
1% of the time he will draw you a Sensei's Divining Top which for you control how much you get hit for (after untap step)
4% of the time he will draw you lifelink to mitigate his damage
1% of the time he will draw you 1/2 damage (Gisela, Blade of Goldnight) mitigation
24% of the draws you can eliminate or mitigate all are part of his damage
In Summary, 65% you pay less than 2 life for the draw, plus 13% (I included only spells >2 CMC from the above noted 24%, totaling 78%!
78% of the time he hits you for 2 life or less, or draws you a way to mitigate the damage he does! Pretty good for and card advantage.
I would run him if you are playing Kaalia of the Vast, you'll see what I mean!
4 days ago
Spirits In the pods I was playing in were Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, The Scarab God, Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist, & I saw 2 other Arahbo, Roar of the World decks. Can't remember the other ones. Not super-competitive, very casual- still, Infect is completely fair, imo. The Voltron strategy has worked fairly well with Skyhunter Skirmisher, especially with Quietus Spike. The double-strike is also extremely nice with Umezawa's Jitte & Sword of Fire and Ice. I really want to play with Reconnaissance after reading up on how it plays- basically every creature you have gains Vigilance, with an added ability to simply withdraw from combat completely before combat damage is dealt, or even after First Strike damage is dealt, but before normal combat damage step. The reminder text is misleading- it actually does do combat damage, just not AFTER you activate it.
4 days ago
Interesting update and feedback from your games. My opinion is that Arahbo, Roar of the World is already a Tier 4 Commander, and Selsnya () doesn't have any strong combos or synergies, and none that I've been able to create (yet) that involve only Cats!
Infect is the primary (and only) way Arahbo, Roar of the World can actually win. You're not going to bludgeon 3 other players in a pod for 40 damage and still be around to tell the tale. With the exception perhaps of Felidar Sovereign once in a blue moon, I don't think there's much else to build on.
What Tier commanders are in your pod?
Heck even Mono-, eg. Teferi, Temporal Archmage, use the same thing, or ultimate planeswalkers over and over.
Even Tier 1.5 Golgari () The Gitrog Monster doesn't care.
Tier 2 Mardu () eg. Alesha, Who Smiles at Death combo off.
Can keep going on and on, but without Infect, I can't see how Arahbo, Roar of the World would be worth playing, and how it would possibly win?
I guess in a pod like Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Nekusar, the Mindrazer, and Rakdos, Lord of Riots I could see thinking Infect wasn't fair. Heck, even Tier 4 Samut, Voice of Dissent single Commander damage hits.
None of these things are any more or less fair than Infect, and actually, they are MUCH easier to do than Infect. We only have Lost Leonin, Triumph of the Hordes and Grafted Exoskeleton to get the job done on 3 players anyway! Don't even get a Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon and Hatred in . It's an uphill battle before drawing the first card!
Very interesting. PS: I did put Archangel of Thune and Spike Feeder combo in my Arahbo, Roar of the World still testing it out, both kind of worked with the lifegain and counters sub-theme of my cat deck, but neither is a cat. Still trying to find some SOLID combos with cats, let me know if you've found any! Very easy to Tutor with the creature pulls and things like Chord of Calling.
5 days ago
Avacyn, Angel of Hope is pretty much a staple in Kaalia builds since the deck is so soft to removal. Gisela, Blade of Goldnight is also super good for a deck that can cheat her out, as she basically makes opponent life totals 20, which is much more manageable in Commander for dealing combat damage.
You really need repeatable methods of drawing more cards than you have, especially those that come down before Kaalia hits the battlefield or that can be used after her and without her. Phyrexian Arena still provides 1 card per turn for a measly cost of 1/40th your life total. Bloodgift Demon is similar in effect but can actually be cast without Kaalia if you have trouble sticking her, which can be invaluable when your opponents have removal.
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is a reasonably strong demon without a huge price tag, and I'd recommend him over Goldnight Redeemer.
Also, bread and butter Kaalia plays is turn 3 Kaalia, turn 4 Armageddon, swing Kaalia, put a huge demon or angel into play. I recommend looking into that, as Kaalia decks are incredibly easy to stop if opponents have access to their mana sources.
6 days ago
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope is very expensive - she's good, but just be aware of the price tag.
- Lack of Herald's Horn and Vanquisher's Banner seems strange.
- Puresteel Paladin really isn't doing much in this deck - we only have 5 equipment and one of them is Lightning Greaves, which has an equip of 0 already.
- Maybe add more token cards? You clearly want to keep them, but just having a handful in a 99 card deck is very awkward, and they have very little synergy with the other cards. I recommend Tempt with Vengeance, Shrine of Loyal Legions , and Increasing Devotion for extra token producers. That, or just cut them and build an Adriana, Captain of the Guard deck.
- Inquisitor's Flail just really seems to good to not play, even without a heavy Equipment theme. I'd rather have it over something like Fellwar Stone to be honest, we already have a lot of mana producers and the Flail is very strong on Anya.
- Red boardwipes are good and all, but I think something like Hour of Revelation (the one I meant to recommend before) is a good idea just as a hedge against artifact, enchantment, and big creature decks.
- Tilonalli's Skinshifter is kinda awkward; we don't have many good things for it to copy, so it usually just becomes some big beater - in which case, I'd rather just run another Angel in its place - at least then we get ETB effects. Alternatively, add a few more good copy targets. (From the Gatherer Page: Because attackers have already been declared, any abilities Tilonallis Skinshifter copies that trigger when it or other creatures attack wont trigger.)
- I actually like Thalia's Lancers a lot more looking back on it - since Ixalan errata'd all planeswalkers to be legendary, the Lancers can grab a Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, or Nahiri, the Harbinger. I might add a few more legends to grab with it, though. Maybe add Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade, since if you find one you can tutor up the other with the Lancers. (Bruna actually seems good in this deck, even without the Brisela opportunity.)
1 week ago
The cards over dollar I have are: Blessed Alliance, Shambling Vent, Siren Stormtamer, Ammit Eternal,Cast Out, Distortion Strike, Fatal Push (PROMO), Gifted Aetherborn, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Gishath, Sun's Avatar (FOIL), Glorybringer, Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons (FOIL), Hour of Devastation, Inferno Titan, Legion Loyalist,Regisaur Alpha,Skysovereign, Consul Flagship, Sweltering Suns(FOIL),Torment of Hailfire, and Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger.
If you are interested please email me at [email protected]
1 week ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.