|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Planar Chaos (PLC)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Big Game Hunter
Creature — Human Rebel Assassin
When Big Game Hunter enters the battlefield, destroy target creature with power 4 or greater. It can't be regenerated.
Madness Black (If you discard this card, you may play it for its madness cost instead of putting it into your graveyard.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Big Game Hunter Discussion
4 days ago
Big Game Hunter and Bone Shredder are solid options I have struggled with bone shredder as its a more expensive Shriekmaw with the same restrictions. My meta plays a lot of black which makes cards that cannot hit black creatures and issue. Big game hunter is nice but I'm still on the fence with what remove for him. The other cards are to be frank to costly for this deck. This deck needs to hit the ground running as fast as it can before it falls behind. Having a six cost card in hand at the start of the game can hurt. Finding two or more... a game ender for me. I need to get the stax elements right before I decide if things like the Noxious Gearhulk can go in.
6 days ago
I can't help but notice that you don't really have any creatures who can perform spot removal! Forcing sacrifices and giving all of your opponent's creatures -X/-X is all well and good, but sometimes you'll want a way to pick off a problem creature on demand. Good options to consider include Big Game Hunter, Bone Shredder, Shadowborn Demon, Noxious Gearhulk and Duplicant.
3 weeks ago
I realize that Eldrazi can fill the aforementioned role, thanks to the annihilator mechanic, but their mana curve tends to be too steep for the mana base I have in mind.
Also, while Big Game Hunter can be abused by cards like Strionic Resonator and Deadeye Navigator, I'm looking for cards relatively low in cmc that can repeatedly kill creatures, without help from any other card.
Thanks in advance!
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
gdm1989 thanks for the suggestions!
Corpse Dance could work, but it involves exiling one of my creatures, which doesn't work too well for synergy
Soul Collector is a 3 power, so no inclusions there
Sorceress Queen is just a 1/1 body, I can't see any way how it could be good in the deck.
Thanks for your suggestions!
1 month ago
1 month ago
Not a vamp, but Big Game Hunter is a decent card, especially in a deck that can reliably discard it.
2 months ago
I've actually never built a reanimator/toolbox style deck, so I'm not sure my inputs are going to be much help! Nevertheless, I'll take a shot ...
I always try to think about what the Commander would want, and give comments accordingly ...
- Seems like Alesha really wants to be able to attack without fear. You've already got Palisade Giant (which is great for that), but cards like Reconnaissance, Maze of Ith (unfortunately kind of pricey), and Fanatical Devotion might be worth the slots too. By the way, you can use Reconnaissance at the End of Combat step even if Alesha (or whoever) connected for combat damage, untapping her for a Vigilance effect. Another approach would be Unblockable effects, It may not be as good, since Alesha isn't much of a Voltron Commander, but cards like Rogue's Passage, Trailblazer's Boots, Whispersilk Cloak, and Spirit Mantle might be worth the slots.
- I think she would also really enjoy punishing decks with high-power Creatures, and would appreciate cards like Dusk / Dawn and Big Game Hunter.
- Figuring out what to pull out is always SUPER-difficult, so when it comes to a choice, I'll always go with what I think the Commander would prefer. Sunforger for example, is generally a GREAT card. But I imagine Alesha looking at it, and going "It doesn't get Creatures into my Graveyard or help me pull them out ... why do I want this?" Along those lines, I would not pull any Creatures for the Sorceries/Enchantments/Artifacts I mentioned above. And when deciding between Creatures, I think she would definitely lean towards those with Sac' or ETB effects. I'm not sure what she'd think about Combat Celebrant by the way. She'd be irritated the power is too high for her to reanimate, but she'd love the extra attack step ... you know Alesha better WAY than me, so you may already know how she'd feel about it :-)
A few other resources:
- Are you familiar with EDHREC? If so, sorry for the spam. If not, it's a great way to see what other people have been doing with your Commander. You mentioned Draw, for example, so I scrolled through the Alesha page looking for cards that could help. I spotted Faithless Looting, Skullclamp, and Tormenting Voice; there may be more.
- There are a couple old-but-still-good articles on Alesha that I'd recommend, if you haven't already looked at them: One by Tomer Abramovici and another by Abe Sargent.
Good luck (and good skill!) with the brew!