|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Game Night (GNT)||Uncommon|
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dinosaur
, Sacrifice Thrashing Brontodon: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Thrashing Brontodon Discussion
4 days ago
Control_Train Thanks again for the explanation. Already had the feeling the combo with World Shaper was the old combo. But thanks for clarifying that! I have nothing to add or correct you on your story, cause you seem to have thought off how and why you play certain pieces. Gives me a lot of trust when borrowing this list ;-)
Just 2 more card choices I wonder why you made them: Why don't you run Sheoldred, Whispering One ? She almost seems a staple in all Meren decks. Why do you run Thrashing Brontodon instead of Caustic Caterpillar , the second one seems beter on all front thanks to the mana cost.
Again thank you for clarifying a lot of choices, it really helps understanding the list a bit better!
1 week ago
Hey ! I've been playing mono-red for some month now and here are my thoughs :
- Deck is looking nice right now, if you want to go at an fnm and get some wins, this deck can do it. Casually, it seems pretty strong tho.
- I like Frenzy in the mainboard more than Risk Factor because it can solo win / steal game one. Thrashing Brontodon , Mortify , Vivien Reid etc are all a pretty hard counter play but Frenzy is still worth it. Game two you switch it out for Risk Factor while your opponent get some enchantment removal into it's mainboard. I played many games against esper control/jund midrange but not that many against sultai and I think it is the best solution I found.
- I splitted my drop 3 as 2 Chainyboi and 2 Legion Warboss ( the remaining copies of them are in sideboard ). The Warboss did so much work against any kind of control/late ( dimir, esper ) deck that doesn't instantly remove him while Chainyboi is "just" a 3/3. Not switching to 4 Warboss because Chainyboi is still dumb strong against mono white and any creature deck ( and it proc spectacle as etb ).
- I removed Runaway Steam-Kin from the deck. It is way too greedy and not that strong in the end. It is strong, but a turn two 1/1 that will prolly die before your next turn ( Cast Down , Moment of Craving , everything ) is meh.
- I don't know about Fanatical Firebrand . I find it really weak but the deck needs some turn 1. I removed it from mine but I can't say it's 100% the right thing.
I hope it will help you and if you have anything to say about this, I will be glad to discuss ! Enjoy mono red !
1 week ago
The problem that your deck have is that it is a Tier1 deck, and is harder to make good suggestions.
But I have suggestions!
Cry of the Carnarium in the sideboard instead of Golden Demise , because normally you use this cards against aggro decks, and if you cast one of that cards fast to stop your aggro oponent, it is difficult for you to have the City's Blessing, and I think that is best exile your opponent's creatures just in case they use something to reanimate them.
I hope I help you,
1 week ago
Hey, you asked my opinion. One time I read about consistence of decks composition. There is a lot of single copy cards, this make the game very unpredictible for yourself, lack of a solid strategy. My advice is to focus in more 3 and 4 copies of a single card and lass 1 and 2. But is a great selection o of card for a Gruul deck.
- Llanowar Elves , keep 4 of it.
- Dire Fleet Daredevil is a good card, but situational, 2 of then if you want to keep.
- Thorn Lieutenant is a good creature, good effect. But more oriented for a token deck, i would not put in this deck.
- Captain Lannery Storm takeout, have no synergy.
- Deathgorge Scavenger same as above.
- Gruul Spellbreaker best creature Gruul, 4 of them.
- Reclamation Sage and Thrashing Brontodon have the same objective. If I would choose Thrashing Brontodon . But have you see the Cindervines ? Is a good adittion, but I wold keep in the Side. For a enchant/artifact more oriented deck. Well, would use 2 or 3 of them if is that the case.
- Now the 4 cost I would consider to run few of them, would slowdown to much the deck.
- Dagger Caster is a good card, but would take it out.
- Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma you dont have that much of 4 power or more in the deck, would take out or increse the number Goreclaw for 3 and put more 4 power creatures. But I dont think is the case.
- Grand Warlord Radha good, not more them 2. since is legendary,
- Nullhide Ferox Very nice! 2 of Him wold make a great addition.
- Ripjaw Raptor Good for a draw. 2 of them but the other 4 creatures are better.
- Vine Mare is a good creature, against black is a unblockeable tank. But same as above, we have better creatures.
- 5, is a liitle mor harder to put on field. but...
- Charging Monstrosaur I love this guy, I would put 3 of them, if you can. Haste, Trample, maybe 6/6 with riot. Perfect.
- Demanding Dragon lets stay wtih only 3 creatures with 5 cost? Só choose betwew the Mostrosaur ou this little Dragon guy here.
- Ravager Wurm 1 is enogh, a nice surprise if you can cast it.
- Lava Coil Good removal, 3 of them, 3 of Lightning Strike or 3 of Thrash / Threat , they have pretty much the same cost and remove cards. Lava Coil is solid, Lightning Strike is flexible and Thrash / Threat work out with yours creatures power. I would choose one of them. Maybe leave one on side.
- Act of Treason I dont think that is a good card to the deck.
- Fight with Fire Great, 2 is a good number for it. can takeout a lot of threats.
- Response / Resurgence , woith Fight with Fire this is a little unecessary. Have a cheap cost, but is situational. Is a instant, make a little more flexible. If you keep it 3 of them would be nice.
- Rhythm of the Wild Put 3 of it, please xD.
- Domri, Chaos Bringer and Vivien Reid . Choose one and keep 2 of it. I wold go with Domri.
2 weeks ago
Just a thread to share some of our more amusing games. :D I'll start:
I was playing MTG with a new friend who is just getting into the game. He's only been playing for a few weeks now and needed help designing decks. So, I came over to his house and built him a nice fun Selesnya +1/+1 counter deck using what cards he has. In it, he has a single copy of Zetalpa, Primal Dawn .
Now, I wanted to use a deck that's more of a meme deck. So, I cracked out my insanely stupid Simic Mimic Gimmick deck. This deck seeks to just make copies of anything I want, using indestructible creatures for the shell.
The game was a long and arduous one. I kept copying his creatures with Bolster and Support, making it so that our attackers and blockers were evenly matched. The goal here was to help him learn the steps and phases of the game, not out-right slaughter him.
So the game took a super long time. Eventually, he cracked out a Zetalpa, Primal Dawn . It got back to my turn and I just grinned and cast Vizier of Many Faces , copying Zetalpa for myself. He got annoyed, and progressed to cast more creatures and spells to sling +1/+1 counters on her. So, I did the exact same thing lol.
We eventually had Zetalpas that were 9/13 and a 7/11 respectively. I decided to attack, figuring I'd steadily push the Trample damage through little by little. He began to do the same. We eventually got each other down to just 1 life total, mostly for the memes of it all.
Well, I eventually top-decked Helm of the Host and laughed like an absolute madman. I equipped it onto my Zetalpa and the stupidity officially began.
I had to explain to him what it does, and that I ended up getting two Zetalpa on the battlefield once I switched over into Combat. The reason I had to explain it was because he misunderstood the Legendary rule in a prior game where he attempted to have out two Krenko, Mob Boss at the same time in a Goblin deck I built for him.
So now he's rolling his eyes and cussing me out, all in good fun mind you. It gets back to his turn and he passes. Back to me, I explain the following:
"Now, normally I can't make any copies of Zetalpa because she's Legendary. But since the token created by Helm of the Host loses it's Legendary typing, I can actually do this..."
He's like just dumbfounded and has had enough of my idiocy. But it gets worse. I happened to top-deck another Vizier of Many Faces , and proceeded to make ANOTHER copy of the Zetalpa token, lmfao
I move to combat and get ANOTHER Zetalpa token, thanks to Helm of the Host .
Needless to say, I ended up winning with about five Zetalpas - lmfao
The game, in total, lasted some 30 minutes between my stupid shenanigans and his questions. Not to mention we put three copies of Saving Grace in his deck, which really stopped me in my tracks multiple times. Seriously an under-rated card now that I've seen it in action. Anywho, When we got to round two, he quickly destroyed my Helm of the Host with his Thrashing Brontodon and hit me hard in the face with a Victory's Herald .
3 weeks ago
i hadn't thought about Deep Freeze , i'll need to play with it to see how it goes. I'm not a fan of Caustic Caterpillar because the activation cost requires green, and is one more than the cost of Thrashing Brontodon . in my meta, i can usually remove my opponents noncreatures with nev's disk or the deed, or the before mentioned dino, or Acidic Slime
I have the mike and trike combo arriving soon, so that's probably going to replace the two colorless planeswalkers, and i'll be adjusting the mana.
as far as Imprisoned in the Moon and Song of the Dryads , i find that turning off an opposing cmdr for the cost of giving that opponent a colorless mana or a green mana is more than worth the cost. most of my meta consists of naya dinos/ramp, and gruul ramp. so one additonal mana often ends up being pointless.
thanks for your insight, my dude. if you think of something else, lemme know!!
3 weeks ago
Thanks a lot ThallionDarkshine. As far as focus goes, it's pretty simple: I just want to have my graveyard be an extension of my hand and be able to play "answers" to pesky permanents. I'd rather not spend over $20 on a single card.
I chose to run 33 lands cuz I found myself "fetching" lands often and even more often with Muldrotha on the board. I don't cast her until my graveyard has a good amount of permanents in it anyway so I'm not worried about playing her asap. I do tend to cycle some lands for draw when the opportunity arises cuz I know I will play them later from the yard. Circuitous Route , Burnished Hart , Sakura-Tribe Elder , and Shefet Monitor all help with a bit of ramp.
I like the idea of Manglehorn replacing Acid Web Spider , and Noxious Dragon is merely a place holder as I found it in my bulk and threw it in. Both spider and dragon are mainly flying blockers with a lil bonus; but I do agree that they are mana spendy.
I did splash a bit of sacrificing in cuz why not? Caustic Caterpillar and Thrashing Brontodon (removal), Burnished Hart and Sakura-Tribe Elder (land), Scribe of the Mindful to get back some value instant/sorcery, and some more options. Plus you put Sylvok Lifestaff on a creature before you sac it for the proverbial icing. Sac outlets also include Bone Splinters , Ruthless Disposal , Victimize , Burnished Hart , Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Whisper, Blood Liturgist . And the sacrificing trigger from Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip! Then turn around and cast those sacrificees from the yard which would trigger Desecrated Tomb for more sac fodder, chumps, or aerial assualt.
This was a bit winded but this is the jist of the deck. It's not a fast starter but chugs along just fine when it picks up momentum. I'm aware there are a few kinks to work out and thus the reason I called for help. I appreciate any and all feedback, so again.. thank you!
1 month ago
Is this the Fish deck you're using?
2 COMMENTS | 58 VIEWS
The reason you're losing is you're not playing the two strongest cards for the deck (which are also the reason you play the deck in the first place)!
4x Breeding Pool (or Simic Guildgate if you're on a budget)
4x Hinterland Harbor
4x Unclaimed Territory
2x Benthic Biomancer
4x Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca
4x Kumena's Speaker
4x Merfolk Branchwalker
4x Merfolk Mistbinder
1x Merfolk Trickster
4x Mist-Cloaked Herald
4x Silvergill Adept
1x Tempest Caller
3x Watertrap Weaver
1x Zegana, Utopian Speaker
2x Carnage Tyrant
4x Dive Down
1x Merfolk Trickster
1x Sentinel Totem
1x Shapers' Sanctuary
2x Sorcerous Spyglass
2x Spell Pierce
2x Thrashing Brontodon
You should have no problems steamrolling non-red aggro decks, control, and have okay match-ups against midrange. You won't beat RDW/Burn, so if you get paired up against them don't sweat it if you lose. R/W variants are easier to beat. Just keep Goblin Chainwhirler in mind and don't get 10-for-1'd by overextending with 1/1s.
Spell Pierce and Dive Down laugh in the face of boardwipes (like Deafening Clarion or Settle the Wreckage ) because you can often just go full HAM and keep 1 mana open, which will force your opponent to tap out for the wipe. They get BTFO'd and you kill them anyway.
You should still get a Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca even if you decide to play EDH because he's a powerhouse of a general.
Thrashing Brontodon occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.12%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%