|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Scribe of the Mindful
Creature — Human Cleric
, , Sacrifice Scribe of the Mindful: Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Scribe of the Mindful Discussion
2 months ago
Hey The_Baneslayer and thanks for your input. I have to agree on the landbase, so far it's underwhelming, especially with BB costs so I'll atleast add the cheap duals providing black. I really like Second Sunrise too, (Faith's Reward is an option too). So far Recall, Call to Mind, Deja Vu, Relearn, Scribe of the Mindful, Archaeomancer and Pull from the Deep are something to consider, but not sure how many and which to implement ?
I've avoided combos in this to not have to have emphasis on the tutoring. But if I decide to go with the combo I understand I need to have a few to pull it off atleast once in a lifetime.. I dislike combos in EDH simply for the requirement of tutoring :(
3 months ago
The website you want is MTG Assist (http://www.mtgassist.com/) link wasn't working for some reason :(
Simply plug in the card you want into the search bar on the left and it'll give you alternatives for that card. In the case of Archaeomancer, it shoots out suggestions such as Izzet Chronarch, Mnemonic Wall, and Scribe of the Mindful! Hope it helps!
5 months ago
I like it! +1 from me. I do play a U/W version, but also with slither blade. A card i really like in the deck is Hour of Eternity. I do play it as a one-of for now and keep it coming back with Scribe of the Mindful, which many times is a target next to blade.
6 months ago
I'm not certain on Fraying Sanity, it looks like something to add to it for some silliness in some casual matches.
Cast Out was definitely a thought. Issue being single target and I would have to change my land distribution if I were to consider sideboard and mainboard. Grind / Dust is just more effective thanks to interactions with Archfiend of Ifnir
New Perspectives and Abandoned Sarcophagus are going to replace both Scribe of the Mindful and Wander in Death as Sarcophagus breaks the synergy. I was considering 2 of each and fitting in 2 more Nimble Obstructionist for some countering and tricky flashback from the grave thanks to sarcophagus and new perspectives interaction with each other.
7 months ago
Your play works, and prevents your opponent from taking control over your creature.
What you're doing involves a lot of rules, so I'm not going to quote them all. Instead, I'll give you a rundown of what's happening:
- your opponent casts Lay Claim, choosing your Scribe as a target. After the pay the costs, the Lay Claim enters the stack as a spell. Now each player, starting with the player who just cast a spell, may act "in response"
- you choose to activate your Scribe's activated ability in response. This is legal because activating activated abilities is instant-speed, meaning you can activate them even though there's a spell on the stack, or when it's not your turn
- as part of activating the ability, you have to choose a legal target for it, meaning an instant or sorcery in your graveyard. If you don't have one, you're not allowed to activate the ability
- as part of the costs of activating the ability, the Scribe is sacrificed. The ability is eventually put on the stack.
- if noone else does anything, your ability - being the topmost object of the stack - will resolve, and return the chosen card to your hand
- then, Lay Claim will try to resolve. However, because it's only target is illegal by the time it would have resolved, it's countered by the game rules, and put into its owner's graveyard instead of on the battlefield.
The rule for the last one is probably the most important one, so I'll quote that one:
608.2b If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal. A target that's no longer in the zone it was in when it was targeted is illegal. (...) The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word "target," are now illegal. (...)
In case that the missing word "target" is the cause for any confusion - auras always require a target as part of casting them, which has to obey the "Enchant [...]" requirement.
7 months ago
I'm think you're referring to Sacred Excavation.
But on that note Pieces of the Puzzle is really useful for digging deep for answers or spells.
There's also Contingency Plan.
There's also Scribe of the Mindful.
7 months ago
I hear you - I just don't think that paying 2 mana for a card that gives you your choice of colour extra mana each turn (not just twice) is a sub-par option. Abandoned Sarcophagus is a late-game card that is only useful if you have targets in the grave. By the time you want to play this card, I want to have already won the game.
7 months ago
Maybe try Pieces of the Puzzle to help activate the manic scribe. Another mill card you missed was Vessel of Paramnesia. Also maybe consider Scribe of the Mindful to help get some of your mill cards back. Also Mirrorpool is a great land to have in this deck to effectively quadruple the amount of cards your opponent mills if you have the curse out. Some Geier Reach Sanitariums may also help with milling by making them discard. You may also consider making this deck UB in order to access cards that make your opponent discard such as Unburden and hand disruption such as Dispossess and Lost Legacy. If you have any question feel free to respond back :)