|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dinosaur
Enrage - When Cacophodon is dealt damage, untap target permanent.
3 months ago
We want to make room for some cards to help you get more dinosaurs onto the battlefield faster, and to interact with your opponents threats and spells. If you increase your card draw, you'll still draw into enough creatures to overwhelm your opponent.
This tutors for a dinosaur and can trigger your engrage abilities. Sick combo with Polyraptor.
This is going to serve as persistent card draw for keeping creatures on board, which you aim to do anyway.
Both of these cards allow you to draw a card when a creature enters play.
These can have two uses: the first use is on attack, but it also can be cast to safeguard your board from effects like Wrath of God .
Like above, this protects your creatures from board wipes, but also works against exile and -x/-x effects like Toxic Deluge .
Losing an expensive creature feels bad. Bringing it back to the battlefield for less than its casting cost helps take the sting away.
Adding Board Wipes:
Adding a tutor or two:
Finale of Devastation is flavorful and rewards you for going big on mana.
Upgrading the mana base: I would start by replacing the "gain 1 life" lands with the "scry" lands in Core 2020, which can be had for about $2 each. From there I might look at getting a Krosan Verge and Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip, and gradually upgrading over time.
What else to cut / Replace
I might nix Explore and Lay of the Land , and replace them with Domri, Chaos Bringer or Domri, Anarch of Bolas (which can provide mana and either card draw or removal), or Zacama, Primal Calamity , which you essentially cast for free (or gain mana from, if you're using Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun )), since it untaps your lands if you cast it from your hand.
I hope you find these suggestions helpful. I tried to stay on the lower end of prices on this stuff.
7 months ago
For fun, I looked into what options you had if you removed the mono-Black requirement.
For High Alert to work, you would have to generate each iteration to go infinite. Priest of the Forgotten Gods provides you the , but you would need three copies of Pitiless Plunder to make up the remainder of the cost.
For Cacophodon to work, you would first need to give it indestructible. Your options would be as follows: Adamant Will , Angelic Guardian (though this might be risky since you would have to attack), Chance for Glory (which gives you an extra turn so its three mana casting cost does not detract from your play significantly), Dauntless Bodyguard , Join Shields , Make a Stand , Resolute Watchdog , Sheltering Light , Song of Freyalise , and Vivien Reid .
You would also need some form of damage outlet that triggers on entering the battlefield or creatures dying. Currently, only Judith, the Scourge Diva works in standard.
You could also use a card like Open the Graves or Desecrated Tomb to generate creatures, which you could sacrifice to Makeshift Munitions , but you will need a copy of Pitiless Plunder to make this work.
8 months ago
The rest is an attempt to lean into a superfriends subtheme
8 months ago
- Cut 2 or 3 lands. You run 10 ramp without counting doublers. Or cut like 2 lands and 2 ramp.
- Courser of Kruphix Not a dino, just play ramp
- Oracle of Mul Daya Not a dino, just play ramp
- Reclamation Sage Not a dino, dino does it better
- Sakura-Tribe Elder Not a dino, replace with ramp, dino ramp
- Sky Terror Too vanilla, replace with ramp or dino ramp
- Scroll Rack You did this in Narset, wasn't tht great
- Eerie Interlude Not enough ETBs to count, if this is to dodge wraths boros charm and heroic intervention are better.
- Cacophodon I'm not seeing where you are going to benefit from untapping a single target
- Path of Mettle Flip
- Sylvan Library it's a great card, but I think you are trying to just ramp and get your value off your commander.
- Mana Geyser To me this is best in mono red or in something with X spells.
- Wayward Swordtooth Not that great in EDH
- Raging Regisaur it's in here for ping i think, you didn't seem to keen on it.
- Privileged Position
- Asceticism this and priv pos are both for protecting, with your 90 haste enablers I'm not sure i'd worry about protecting.
- Neheb, the Eternal If this is here to go infinite/near infinite with Aggravated Assault run the whole busted mana package that goes infinite with it (or at least more than just 1) Sword of Feast and Famine , Druids' Repository , Bear Umbra , Grand Warlord Radha , Savage Ventmaw
- Whispersilk Cloak Only having one of this effect seems odd
- Signets - I like the new lockets better. More mana but later on you can sac them to draw cards. Up to you
- Atzocan Seer idk, feel like i'd rather just kodama's reach. HIs second ability could be relevant.
You're missing a bunch of the best dinosaur cards in my opinion
- Commune with Dinosaurs Early gets a land, late gets a dino. Always replaces itself.
- Thundering Spineback Only a 5/5 but is an anthem and makes more dinos
- Carnage Tyrant Literally the best dinosaur ever printed, has all of the keywords you'd ever want on it but haste
- Burning Sun's Avatar Bolts something, bolts someone, and is costed correctly
- Rampaging Ferocidon So good it's banned in standard, shuts down other creature based decks. Can hurt you but likely you are winning if this is hurting.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar If you wanna flip your deck, why not gain all the life at the same time
- Runic Armasaur It's a dino, it's prison, it's got better stats than it's mana
- Overgrown Armasaur Reclamation sage-esque but on a dino
- Kindred Summons 7 mana, basically same as your creatures, and can double your creature count at EOT....
- Overwhelming Stampede Your average power is like 10 in this deck, +10/+10 and trample on everything ends games.
- Naya Charm First mode is meh, second mode can be good, third mode allows you to take out someone
- Charging Monstrosaur haste and trample and on curve
- Bellowing Aegisaur This thing gets huge fast, but doesn't have trample
- Iroas, God of Victory Not a dino, but is combat relevant, makes it easier for your dinos to get through and win
That gets you no where near where you need to be. To me you have too many enchantments might look there more.
1 year ago
Zendikar Resurgent helps with mana a great deal, you would be surprised how it can help you cast dinos and give you draws.
Etali, Primal Storm is great advantage once you get to swing with it. Being able to trigger it once is enough imo. lol.
I have a really stretched combo here with a single-target dino, I don't rely on this happening everytime, but I almost had all the pieces once. Frilled Deathspitter + Cacophodon + Pyrohemia + Heroic Intervention + any permanent that taps for red mana = spit everyone to death. :D
I hope I was able to give you ideas with this commander. It's one of my favorites. :D
1 year ago
Note Steely Resolve is a nombo for lots of things you want to do. You might want to reconsider that card.
Huatli, Dinosaur Knight, Huatli, Radiant Champion, Pounce, Crash the Ramparts, Savage Stomp, Rile, Hunt the Weak, Enter the Unknown, Tilonalli's Crown, Kindred Boon, Majestic Heliopterus, Cacophodon, and lastly Spirit en-Dal all don't work if Steely Resolve is out and you choose dinosaur
1 year ago
So, you're wanting some hilarious "wtf?!, did that just happen?" moments. I would personally make things difficult for myself and try to do Famished Paladin turned to artifact with Saheeli's Artistry and given Quicksmith Rebel tap to do 2 damage ability and use it on a Sheltering Light 'ed Imperial Ceratops. I might even try to do something with lifelink and Quicksmith Genius to draw with The Locust God and Makeshift Munitions. Or, Heroic Intervention and Squire's Devotion on a Fervent Paincaster , exerting him to damage Cacophodon and untap/gain life. Then draw with the Saheeli's Artistry+Famished Paladin+Quicksmith Genius thing......IDK there's so many possibilities....
1 year ago
This is my first time building an EDH deck and I was curious what could be improved.
I want to add in a boardwipe like Wrath of God or Planar Cleansing and switch something out for Wakening Sun's Avatar and then I don't have Command Tower or Reliquary Tower in and don't know if they're "required".
Cacophodon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%