Creature — Insect
, Sacrifice Caustic Caterpillar: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Caustic Caterpillar Discussion
1 week ago
3 weeks ago
As a Druid player, Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is a late-game finisher. You cast Scion of the Ur-Dragon, use his ability twice to get Moltensteel Dragon (pump +6/+0 with 12 life), then get Skittles. This makes Scion a 10/4 flying infect. Protean Hulk requires too many cards that don't do anything without the hulk himself, and you'd rather just tutor for Hermit Druid. I took Cephalid Illusionist out because my version doesn't play enough creatures to support the combo, and rather just play more ways to get hermy back if it dies (would highly recommend Claim / Fame). Necrotic Ooze doesn't need haste because Devoted Druid, Morselhoarder, and Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind don't need to tap to make infinite mana. To answer my own question from a lot earlier, Caustic Caterpillar is good if you topdeck a creature tutor and have to kill a Leyline of the Void or something.
1 month ago
I was thinking more along the lines of cards like Mulch, Benefaction of Rhonas, and Harrow with Crucible of Worlds or Ramunap Excavator or Splendid Reclamation to sift through the deck faster and potentially abuse some land hate.
1 month ago
Lots of goodies to consider before Disciple likely. Sitting here looking at:
- ramp (Elvish Mystic, Bloom Tender, Gaea's Cradle, Cabal Coffers/Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth)
- midrange-y goodness (Grave Titan, Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof Behemoth, Lord of Extinction)
- a Necrotic Ooze combo (Walking Ballista, Phyrexian Devourer, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed/Triskelion)
- dredge package (Golgari Grave-Troll, Stinkweed Imp, Life from the Loam)
- table drain (Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Exquisite Blood, Massacre Wurm)
- attrition package (Merciless Executioner, Fleshbag Marauder, Desolation)
- creature based targetted removal (Reclamation Sage, Caustic Caterpillar, Woodfall Primus)
- stax package (Thorn of Amethyst, Sphere of Resistance, Contamination, Null Rod)
- tutor package (Buried Alive, Birthing Pod, Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Sidisi, Undead Vizier)
- better sac outlets (Phyrexian Altar, Ashnod's Altar, Viscera Seer, Greater Good)
- general good stuff (Sylvan Library, Damnation, Mana Crypt)
1 month ago
Thanks everyone for the comments and input. It's been awhile since I've been able to sit down, update the deck, and answer some questions.
- Originally, I was kinda against using Protean Hulk. However, this card and the cards that support it are just to silly not to play.
- My experience as a Tron player has taught me to fetch for a forest early if I see a red player. Torpor Orb-effects don't really bug me that much. Caustic Caterpillar is for Torpor Orb and I added some non-creature removal for Hushwing Gryff and Tocatli Honor Guard. These types of effects also hinder other players so I won't be the only one trying to remove them. However, your comment inspired me to lower my curve to a reasonable level
1 month ago
Caustic Caterpillar>Elvish Lyrist
I play Savra, Queen of the Golgari as my general, but she can be pretty powerful in the 99 as well.
2 months ago
I wouldn't consider cards like Caustic Caterpillar and Sakura-Tribe Elder to be sacrifice outlets. Outlets are generally things you can sacrifice things to repeatedly. Other than that, I don't really see many problems with the deck. +1
2 months ago
Saw your Reddit thread, but don't have a Reddit account so I figured I comment here. Long story short your early game is weak.
The first issue I see is lands. All of your nonbasic lands come into play tapped. This slows you down massively. There's plenty of nonbasics that come in untapped that won't murder your wallet, OG dual lands, fetches, & shocks aren't manditory. Command Tower, Opal Palace, Cinder Glade, Canopy Vista, Rootbound Crag, Sunpetal Grove, Battlefield Forge, & Karplusan Forest all enter untapped & all cost under $3. If you need to play taplands at least play the temple cycle from Theros block that gives you a scry, the most expensive of which in your colors being Temple of Plenty at $3
The second issue is ramp. A lot of your ramp is suboptimal even on a budget. Artifact ramp isn't that great when you're in green since many people will run artifact removal, but not many run land removal. I would cut all of the artifact ramp except for sol ring in favor of land ramp like Sakura-Tribe Elder, Wood Elves, Farhaven Elf, Nature's Lore, & Farseek. I personally prefer my land ramp to cost 2 or less if spell based, 3 or less if creature based, and mana doublers at any cost. The nice thing about the elves above & guys like Yavimaya Elder is that after they get your lands they make great Skullclamp fodder & okay beaters if you have Elesh Norn.
Third finishers. I think you have too many "win conditions". You only need 6-8 Finisher Creatures that'll be what you win with, and you can even get away with less since your commander is a finisher itself. You currently have:Ant QueenAvengerChampion of LambholtDecimator of ProvincesDragonlair SpiderElesh NornMirror EntityMycolothJazal Omnath Rampaging BalothsRegal ForceYou don't need 12 big stompy beaters/token steroids. I'd personally cut Ant Queen, Baloths, Spider, Jazal, & Omnath. This leaves you with Avenger & Mycoloth in the make a ton of dudes category, Elesh Norn, Decimator, & Mirror Entity in the pump my army category, & Champion & Regal Force in the I'm a dumb beater for extreme value category. This gives you more room to run low costed utility dudes who will either find the Finisher you need, make get you to them faster, or disrupt your opponent. Guys like Reclamation Sage, Acidic Slime, Scavenging Ooze, Qasali Pridemage, Karmic Guide, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Spellbreaker Behemoth, Fierce Empath, Tireless Tracker, Prowling Serpopard, Caustic Caterpillar, Elvish Visionary, Manglehorn, Ohran Viper, Aven Mindcensor, & Ulvenwald Tracker just some examples of cards you can add to assist your early game for under $5. If you're willing to spend a little more you can grab Eternal Witness or the new Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist who's price is currently in flux due to how new she is.
Fourth you have a lot of expensive spells that create a massive amount of small tokens. You don't need these. They only give you large numbers of tokens when you already have large numbers of dudes. These cards are "win more cards", in that they only help you when you're already winning. If you're behind & getting wrathed constantly, Deploy to the Front & Nomad's Assemby do absolutely nothing, you want cards that are good regardless of how the game's going. Avenger of Zendikar, Mycoloth, and Malrath should be all the tokens you need. Why dedicate tons of card slots to token production when you can dedicate it to ramp & have Malrath vomit out a similar amount of tokens for a similar cost? It's more card efficient & even if your opponent wraths you'll have a large pile of lands to recast Malrath & do it again.