|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Insect
, Sacrifice Caustic Caterpillar: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Caustic Caterpillar Discussion
6 days ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help. enigmadox gave you great advice; I'll expand on it some.
Include budget creatures who can sac themselves because these creatures can give you experience counters without needing a sac outlet which is another card. Needing both a creature and a sac outlet to sac that creature is more difficult to get then just needing a creature. Sac outlets are also good and you should include them, but they're not as important in my opinion as creatures who can sac themselves.
- Sakura-Tribe Elder : this guy and Spore Frog are the two best creatures to build up experience counters with Meren.
- Caustic Caterpillar
- Viscera Seer : sac outlet and can sac itself.
- Blood Pet
- Shriekmaw : when a creature is evoked it ETB (enters the battlefield) and then dies which will trigger getting an experience counter.
- Fleshbag Marauder
Four drop Meren can benefit from early game ramp to be able to possibly play her turn three. Budget mana dorks can be ramp in the early game or sac fodder in the mid/later game to get experience counters.
- Elves of Deep Shadow
- Deathrite Shaman
- Elvish Mystic
- Paradise Druid
- Talisman of Resilience
- Golgari Signet
Budget lands to consider adding:
Other budget cards to consider adding:
- Buried Alive : tutor for three creatures.
- Evolutionary Leap : sac outlet that can also potentially put a creature into your hand.
- Carrion Feeder : sac outlet and can sac itself.
- Deathreap Ritual : repeatable draw, also counts at your opponents end steps.
- Mausoleum Secrets
- Beast Within
- Grim Haruspex
- Ravenous Chupacabra
- Underrealm Lich
- Woodfall Primus
If you like some of these suggestions I offer advice on cuts to make. Good luck with your deck.
2 weeks ago
Alrighty roo, let's spend 10 minutes fixing your deck
Don't run Reap . It depends on opponents board state to function, meaning it is unreliable.
Add Prismatic Vista for increased deckthinning.
There are a whole host of other legendary cards you can be running that are 3 CMC or less. Replace any combat oriented or random buff artifacts/creature (most of the 2/3/4 CMC legendary artifacts, and also Skyship Weatherlight) with some of the following
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade turns non-summoning sick critters into mana dorks.
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard reusable tutor on a stick
- Azor's Gateway Flip better than Heart of Kiran because it lets you loot
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking lets you dump extra lands
- Bontu's Monument even though it isn't cost reducing creatures, still playable as a wincon that doesn't require attacking or targeting. Lets you pull the Rhonas monument combo and all the extra dead cards that go along with it (Craterhoof, Crossroads,
- Bow of Nylea swiss army bow, stops you from decking yourself by untapping with Paradox Engine while Reiki is in play on an empty deck.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip cradle 2.0, but triggers draw off Reiki on entering
- Hua Tuo, Honored Physician another way to stop you from decking out with Reiki in play, general value
- Melira, Sylvok Outcast legendary bear for drawing with combo busting effect, better than
You should really up creature tutor density, and add some value targets. Eldritch Evolution Chord of Calling Finale of Devastation Natural Order Time of Need Woodland Bellower Summoner's Pact Uncage the Menagerie Weird Harvest
Burgeoning Mirri's Guile Earthcraft and Oath of Nissa have far less value here than you think. I would cut them all, except possibly Earthcraft due to how well it works with Paradox engine. You should add Squirrel Nest as an alternate wincon if you keep it.
Why are you running Strip Mine ? You run no other stax pieces and no land recursion.
1 month ago
Hi schnernv, sorry for the delay.
I really like this deck.
Smokestack usually go to 4 counters, cheap permanents are great.
My favorite play is Contamination , locks most of the people out of the game.
I'm testing some improvements:
1 month ago
Hey! Thanks for the sugestions.
First, I realize that I'm a dumbass: I balanced the cards type so I would have more opportunities to recure...BUT! I hadn't fully read Muldrotha's ability: I can only play permanents from the graveyard. So I'm thinking about completly going overboard with permanants and keep only a few instants or sorceries (at the risk of not interacting much with what's being cast at instant speed).
Seeing how my mana curve is distributed, I'm not sure I need the Temple of the False God , so I migh go back to 36 lands.
Lazav is indeed a great way to keep yourself afloat if Muldrotha is undisposed. Great idee, thanks. Acidic Slime has a great ETB effect but I'll rather use something like Caustic Caterpillar if I can get one since it can sacrefice itself.
Also yes, Grave titan is awesome. But it's a bit expensive, I'll see if I'll add it directly or later if I want to pump up the dec.
Thanks for everything.
1 month ago
Cards that have been replaced - Fungal Sprouting for Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip; Heartstone for Thelon of Havenwood ; Sporesower Thallid for Retreat to Kazandu ; Thallid Shell-Dweller for Hardened Scales ; Caustic Caterpillar for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar ; Nullmage Shepherd for Palace Siege , Thallid for Beastmaster Ascension ; Fecundity for FinD; Thallid Germinator for Rampaging Baloths ; Savage Thallid for Hydra Broodmaster ; Warped Landscape for
card suggest: Bloodchief Ascension
1 month ago
Cards to replace: Fungal Sprouting Evolving Wilds hearthstone Thallid Shell-Dweller Sporesower Thallid Nullmage Shepherd Caustic Caterpillar Fungal Sprouting Thallid Fecundity Warped Landscape Fungal Sprouting Thallid Germinator Terminal Moraine Fungal Sprouting Jund Panorama Savage Thallid
2 months ago
Dance of the Dead is on the "pricier" side, but you're right - a 2 mana enchantment that reanimates is too good to pass up, especially in this deck. I'll try and work it into the cost.
(ok, it's more than $1 but it's too good)
Razaketh, the Foulblooded (I have an extra copy)
Again, I appreciate the help!
2 months ago
Caustic Caterpillar occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.05%
BUG (Sultai): 0.76%