|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
- Weird ruling on multiple ETBs going off at the same time
- River Kelpie second ability
- A ton of questions involving Vibrating Sphere
- Does Panharmonicon's ability still work with creatures that need to enter the battlefield from a particular zone? Also what are some replacement effects that are unaffected by Panharmonicon?
Creature — Beast
Whenever River Kelpie or another permanent enters the battlefield from a graveyard, draw a card.
Whenever a player casts a spell from a graveyard, draw a card.
Persist (When this creature dies, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||Friedrice24 , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , Joblaska , meowCat1234 , Wolfebladeelite , itheoryz , bfarber91|
|Want (22)||Maulhawk , Pardus , homerisms , Feyd-Rautha , Kiortio , Wolfninja , Georgez96 , RoninH3RO , SurfyBasilisk , guacachole , kungfurabbi , Myllyes314 , leakypen , crossboss , Mahtimatonen , FreyGuard , mechatoad , , Sulla20XX , ducttapedeckbox , duff87 , MagnaAura|
River Kelpie Discussion
3 weeks ago
If you’re still going with a sac theme I’d consider playing Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest.
Some cards I’ve found quite useful are Aether Spellbomb, Glacial Chasm, Halls of Mist, Urza's Bauble, Mishra's Bauble, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Image, River Kelpie, and Night Incarnate.
1 month ago
Hey, looks good.
Have you considered the FlashHulk combo (Protean Hulk and Flash) with Phyrexian Delver and Phantasmal Image? Buried Alive is a good enabler to get creatures into the graveyard for Muldrotha or reanimation. Hermit Druid and Life from the Loam are ways to get many types of permanents into your graveyard. Skullclamp is very good as a draw engine with all the 1 toughness creatures as well as sac outlets. Fauna Shaman is a less expensive/less powerful Survival of the Fittest they can fill your graveyard up with creatures while also tutoring for specific ones. Birthing Pod is similar, all are powerful with Muldrotha.
River Kelpie has busted interactions with Muldrotha and sac outlets. Razaketh, the Foulblooded(sac outlet, tutor) very good Demon to reanimate. Mindslicer with a sac outlet can be back-backing for your opponents, less bad for you.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
It depends on how you want to build the deck, but the good cheap cards I was looking at for Muldrotha were creatures and enchantments that have good sacrifice abilities, and spells that let you draw and discard (since discarding isn't that bad when you can play the cards from your graveyard with your commander).
So cards like Breakthrough, Windfall, Kagemaro's Clutch, Seal of Doom, Seal of Primordium, Sinister Concoction, Courier's Capsule, Executioner's Capsule, Mind Stone, Alchemist's Apprentice, Caustic Caterpillar, Fleshbag Marauder, and Merciless Executioner.
3 months ago
@Alexdagreat How exactly does the Raza line go? I haven't played against one so far but a lot of decks here seem to be using it so it must be good.
My playgroup has decided I should die first every game so strengthening my midrange capabilities isn't exactly my primary concern at the moment. lol
@KongMing Yeah, Birthing Pod is nice but I am keeping the cost of tutors as low as possible since the goal is to win by turn 2-3. River Kelpie feels more like a win more card in the deck. I rarely get to 5 mana before winning or losing the game.
I appreciate the suggestions guys. Thank you!
3 months ago
One other card that might help you activate Lab Maniac is River Kelpie. Might have some other synergies in the deck too.
3 months ago
Unkillable stuff is the best!
First of all, I've said it many times already, but Unspeakable Symbol is THE best card for Marchesa.
For other ideas, take a look at my deck Game of Dethrones if you feel like it.
Keep it up!
5 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
5 months ago
If you're aiming for this to be truly competitive, here are some suggestions.
Avenger of Zendikar, Kokusho, the Evening Star, Razaketh, the Foulblooded, and Verdant Force can all go for more immediate reanimation targets. If they weren't in here for reanimation, I'd take them out altogether. Some replacements could be Palinchron, Consecrated Sphinx, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Tidespout Tyrant, and Nullstone Gargoyle. These all have an immediate presence, and basically read "Your opponents can't win the game until I'm dealt with." These slots can be flexed based on meta and shit tho so take your pick. Avenger, Koko, and Verdant Force really don't do much until your next turn, so they can be either easily dealt with or at least prepared for before they come in swinging or start getting sac-ed for value. Razaketh is a more expensive Rune-Scarred Demon that requires another creature, as you're usually only going to need one tutor to win the game. Palinchron is a super good combo piece, sphinx will draw you at the very least two cards before sorcery speed removal is online, vorinclex will tap down at the very least 2-3 lands for targeted removal, and more for wipes. Tidespout can wipe out an entire color from someone's manabase if you play it right, and can do that the second after it hits the field, even in response to an immediate removal spell. Gargoyle is iffy, but can shut down some decks. This one's risky but amazing if you play around it correctly.
Hell's Caretaker and Zombify are sub-prime reanimation spells. Exhume is far and away a better replacement, despite not being a permanent and having a heavy downside. Necromancy is super good and you should definitely be running it. I'm not sure why Unearth is in here? It would be much better to devote this slot to ramp and use that ramp to then cast stuff from your graveyard with Muldrotha.
Dreamborn Muse and Traumatize. I know this will sound weird, but this scale of mill is simply not worth it. First off, they're both very expensively costed, and will most likely take up your turn. Second, drawing half your deck and tutoring for a combo piece basically have the same effect: you find your wincon; except that these mill spells don't guarantee it, and are clunky, inefficient, and expensive. Thirdly, even if you really feel the need to "draw" like thirty cards, you'll really only be able to play a couple of them before the game ends, so again its redundant and over the top. A better option would be something like intuition, which will mill only the cards you want, without being over the top. Sultai Ascendancy is decent, and I have no qualms with putting it in, but Search for Azcanta Flip is much much better, and even something like Monastery Siege has the same type of filtering effects but with more flexibility and less mana requirement. Overall, I like to stick to cards like Careful Study and Winds of Rebuke over just straight up milling effects, as they prioritize giving you options and flexibility over shear milling quantity.
Disciple of Bolas. There are better sac outlets.
River Kelpie is kind of on the same path as Traumatize: its just too much. Yeah, if you're super greedy you can devote a turn to playing this and maybe draw a shit ton of cards from it over the next few turns, but it really is just a win more spell. The whole point of this deck is to have the stuff you're re casting be good enough that it can win you the game right away, without the need to draw extra cards. If this is in here to find those good cards, there are better filtering and tutor options.
Gitrog is juicy, but not competitive. It's expensive, and doesn't really provide that much immediate value. It's really sick tho.
Worldly Tutor is much worse than Mystical Tutor or Vampiric Tutor here. Searching for a Tooth and Nail and then winning is much better than searching for a part of your combo. It's a really good card tho so keep it in if you find a good slot.
Sylvan Awakening I'm guessing is part of some combo I don't quite understand, but otherwise isn't really that great. Even if you had like 10 lands on the battlefield, it still wouldn't make a dent in your opponents' collective life total.
World Shaper and Ramunap/Crucible are good, don't get me wrong. However, they add, as I've said before, lots of redundancy. With your current deck, will you winning the game really depend on if you play 3 strip mines in one turn versus 2? Crack 3 fetches instead of 2? Again don't get me wrong, these are good cards, and if you make the deck almost completely devoted to a "lands matter" archetype, they are staples, but if you're aiming to get your commander out during most games, they'll just get in the way and provide you with unnecessary, excessive land drops. Now, World Shaper does ramp you and mill you, so it is flexible, but it is slow and expensive, and could still probably be replaced by something better.
Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Awakening Zone, and Chromatic Lantern are great for fixing/ramp, but are just too damn slow. What you really need for ramping is Mana Crypt, signets or dorks(your choice, but i'd select either artifacts or creatures and role with it), Mind Stone, Mox Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lotus Petal, Nature's Lore, Three Visits, azusa, Grim Monolith, and Deathrite Shaman. These are all great options, take your pick.
Just some things I think you should consider: Protean Hulk and Defense of the Heart are good combo enablers, Pernicious Deed is a recurrable boardwipe, shriekmaw is cheap recurrable removal, Mystic Remora is really cheap card draw that becomes even better w/ muldrotha on the field, Greater Good draws you some cards but more importantly fills your graveyard, Contamination can shut down your opponents and is easy to keep up w/ muldrotha on board, and Command Beacon is a must have with a six mana commander, not to mention you can replay it when muldrotha is out.
Overall you really just need to make your ramp package better. Also, if you want to make this deck more combo-y, just take out everything that produces long term value and replace it with counters and removal.