|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Slice in Twain
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (5)||ironax , frederiklw , Themasterpirate , Reliva , MattN7498|
|Want (5)||mini_tb , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , Der_Schwarzritter , kvfd1719 , Killingfool|
Slice in Twain Discussion
2 months ago
Land upgrade is Blooming Marsh (you really want access to both colors of mana T1). I would recommend Doomfall over Slice in Twain and 1x Duress. Arbor Armament isn't a great card, I would replace them with Sentinel Totem for some graveyard hate. Mainboard: remove the Maulfist Revolutionary for one more Llanowar Elves and another Walking Ballista. There's much better removal than Walk the Plank as well, while Vraska's Contempt is the best, a few more Fatal Push would also be good.
2 months ago
3 months ago
Ehm... Slice in Twain is already in the maybeboard.
Skysovereign, Consul Flagship instead of Cartouche of Strength could be a nice swap. I'll test it out and see if this doesn't make me too slow against aggro decks.
I never liked Rishkar, Peema Renegade instead, I prefer higher impact cards in this strategy.
3 months ago
I would drop Slice in Twain as ghalta wants to be agressive as possible that alot of mana to spend on removal. Better to put it towards a wincon. I would also consider running Skysovereign over cartouche of strenth (it's the weakest removal spell and just enable our opponents to 2-1 by removing a creaters in response. Where as Skysovereign is mana/power positive (you gain more power that you spend in mana) and you also gain consistent repeatable removal and a flying huge beater)
I would also highlight again how good Rishkar, Peema Renegade is as for three mana you gain 4 power and 2 mana thats 6 off ghalta cost for 3 mana
4 months ago
I believe so! It would be pretty easy to sub those cards for something standard. There's plenty of other artifact/enchantment removal or flickering cards (Slice in Twain, Siren's Ruse). I just happen to like these (Root Out makes clue artifact token to help with other abilities and Eerie Interlude not only can re-trigger multiple enter battlefield effects but also get you out of a jam) and friends and I mostly play modern anyway.
But honestly they are there to sayisfy my desire to have a five color deck. You can also just as easily sub in a couple red, black, or blue spells instead to fix the colors as well as make it standard.
4 months ago
I've started testing this.
It's going to take some time as it's a very complex deck.
The first thing I've noticed is that Aggro decks provide some challenges for it.
If they race away with the early game, it's a little difficult to stay afloat.
Yes, you lose the draw, but you can shut down things like Bomat Courier, which is seeing more play lately.
You can also knock Heart of Kiran on the head, before it does too much damage.
4 months ago
To see if these new Challenger decks can in fact be good out of box for $30 with no upgrades I've been testing Counter Surge vs the rest of the decks.
Counter Surge is good out of box it's wrecking the rest of them mostly because the manabase is so much better than Vehicle Rush and Second Sun Control because of 8x Golgari dual lands Aether Hub and Foul Orchard. Being able to produce enough energy to power Hub gives the deck a huge advantage.
3x Verdurous Gearhulk is basically not fair compared to the other decks. Blossoming Defense wrecks Hazoret Aggro. Glint-Sleeve Siphoner wrecks Second Sun Control because Aether Meltdown doesn't stop it from attacking gaining energy. Longtusk Cub and Walk the Plank are the worst cards in the deck and could easily be cut for Servant of the Conduit or Merfolk Branchwalker and Moment of Craving. 3x Dreamstealer is one too many.
Budget upgrades for Counter Surge:
- Cut 4x Cub for 4x Servant or Branchwalker
- Cut 1x Dreamstealer and 2x Walk the Plank for 3x Moment of Craving
- Cut 2x Appetite for the Unnatural for 2x Naturalize
- Cut 1x Slice in Twain for 1x Lost Legacy
- Cut 1x Cartouche of Ambition for 1x Crook of Condemnation
Vehicle Rush has a great decklist out of box, the best of the decks, but the manabase is shit. It's also missing Abrade in the 75 cards. The manabase is relying too much on Spire of Industry it needs 4x Inspiring Vantage. Aether Hub doesn't make sense for the deck other than using this land as an appealing reason to buy this product. Buy it for the complete decklist and put some money or trade into upgrading the manabase with Vantage. 4x Heart is a big draw it's still Standard legal for the rest of the year. A card or more could be printed in the next few sets that could break Heart again.
Budget upgrades for Vehicle Rush:
- Cut 3x Hub for 3x more Vantage
- Cut 2x Evolving Wilds for 1x more Dragonskull Summit and 1x more Swamp
- Cut 2x Lightning Strike for 2x Abrade
- Cut 3x Harsh Mentor for 1x more Abrade, 1x more Cast Out and 1x Ixalan's Binding
Hazoret Aggro is not good out of box it lacks punch; it needs Earthshaker Khenra and Invigorated Rampage to make up for having only one Hazoret. Harsh Mentor doesn't do enough for the deck to warrant main deck spots. It's a sideboard card in Vehicle Rush, but some reason it's a main deck card in Hazoret Aggro?
4x Fanatical Firebrand is very lackluster. 8x main deck burn spells that can go to the face and 4x Ahn-Crop Crasher are saving graces for the deck. Crasher is the best card in the deck because you draw it much more than singleton Hazoret, Chandra or Glorybringer. 4x Chandra's Defeat in the sideboard is strange as it hits very few cards vs all the other decks. 2x Defeat and 2x more Abrade is better to stop Verdurous and Heart. Buy this product purely for the three stand out cards: Chandra, Hazoret and Glorybringer.
Budget upgrades for Hazoret Aggro:
- Cut 3x Mentor for 3x Earthshaker
- Move 2x Pia Nalaar from sideboard to main deck replacing 2x Firebrand
- Cut 2x Magma Spray for 2x Invigorated Rampage
- New sideboard: 3x Spray, 2x Mentor, 2x more Abrade, 2x Defeat, 2x Kari Zev's Expertise, 2x more Rampage, 2x Key
Second Sun Control is the worst of the decks out of box. You need more time to cast Approach of the Second Sun better cards to delay your opponent. The manabase could be better needs budget 4x Meandering River or 2-4x Aether Hub or both. You need to be able to hit double white, but 12x Islands which includes 2x Ipnu Rivulet is not helping. Aether Meltdown and Glimmer of Genius can power Hub.
The lack of Essence Scatter in the 75 cards is confusing, to upgrade start by including 3-4x Scatter. Kefnet is not a very good second win condition, but it's the Mythic in the deck, can't cut it right? A second copy of Settle the Wreckage would of been better than a second Kefnet.
The best thing about Meltdown is flash, but overall it's not a good card because it doesn't prevent the creature enchanted by it from attacking which is not good vs Bomat Courier or Glint-Sleeve, two of the best cards in these decks vs Control. It is however good to stop Heart of Kiran, but I would cut some for Baffling End because it can exile Scrapheap Scrounger, Earthshaker, Dreamstealer as well as Glint-Sleeve or Bomat all these creatures are hard for Control to deal with. 4x Cast Out, 4x Censor, 4x Supreme Will, 3x Fumigate, 1x Settle the Wreckage and 4x Irrigated Farmland are the reasons to buy this product. This is a nice a starting core of a Control deck, but not sure it's worth an investment of $30.
If budget upgrading I would make a lot of changes. New main deck:
- 1x Kefnet
- 4x Censor
- 3x Scatter
- 3x Will
- 1x Cancel
- 4x Glimmer
- 1x Pull from Tomorrow
- 4x Cast
- 2x Baffling
- 2x Meltdown
- 1x Farm
- 3x Fumigate
- 2x Settle
- 3x Approach
- 4x Farmland
- 4x River
- 2x Hub
- 2x Ipnu
- 6x Island
- 6x Plains
- 2x Ruin
In the end, if I was to buy one of these decks to just play right out of box I would get Counter Surge. If I wanted the best constructed decklist I would buy Vehicle Rush, but it requires upgrading the manabase to compete with Counter Surge. If I want the most monetary value for my $30, but the deck is not good out of box then I would get Hazoret Aggro.
The only deck I would avoid is Second Sun Control because I feel it's no good out of box requiring too many upgrades and Kefnet is a let down. Too bad the Mythic wasn't Torrential Gearhulk.
5 months ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.