|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Slice in Twain
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Slice in Twain Discussion
5 days ago
This is pretty cool.
Couple things I was thinking while going through it -
2 weeks ago
Welcome to the party :)
Creeping Mold and Slice in Twain are basically the same except Mold gives you the option to destroy a land and Slice draws you a card so I'd say either one is good. Instant speed might be better? I usually have all of my mana sunk into Faith so I don't think I'd ever use it on their turn. The reason I have Mold over Slice is that drawing a card isn't as useful for most situations because of the added draw I already get from Midnight Oil and with so many mid range decks running three or more colors the land destruction can be devastating to their color pie. I do already have the ability to destroy non-basics like dual lands with Field of Ruin and then replay the Ruin with Ramunap Excavator to keep doing it as often as I want to, but I don't know if that's enough reason to change it out. At the end of the day I'd probably be bringing in Mold for the Enchantment removal more than anything else so you could go with either card and probably be just fine. I don't remember why I went down to just one though, I should probably go up to two three and get rid of Dissenter's Deliverance because it has more choices for just two more mana which is no big deal. Originally the entire sideboard was made up of cards with Cycling to give me more ways to Discard on purpose, but since adding Key to the City I can do that for free while making something unblockable.
Gonti's Machinations I'm not a huge fan of. It's probably sweet in multiplayer which is a format I play pretty regularly, but the need for energy just isn't there. I'd say a better generator of energy and use for it all in one card is Demon of Dark Schemes since it would wipe out all of my tokens and generate a ton of energy that can be used to buy creatures back from the graveyard while also being on a big flying body. Even still, I don't think it's the right deck. I could get behind a deck that generated tokens for that specific purpose, in fact I have a few, but the loss of Zulaport Cutthroat from Standard pretty much neutered the strategy. In a duel I'm not sure the 3 life gain after 2 turns of losing life is enough. Although, for one black mana it is sort of like an Alms of the Vein with Suspend 2. This deck would benefit greatly from a playset of Alms... too bad... I see what you were going for there, a pair on the field in the late game gives you a 6 damage bomb to edge in lethal damage if you need it. Could be nice against Ramunap Red to mitigate some damage early on as well. I'll consider that one. I still like it better in a deck that already has an energy package to be able to pop it right away, but I can see its usefulness I suppose.
Honored Hydra I like. Discard = Discount, love it. Great against removal as you said since it takes two shots to kill it for good. I also like that it has Trample. He reminds me of Penumbra Wurm which I ran in a green deck back in the day along with his other Penumbra friends. I can definitely get behind this one over the Monitor. I thought I'd have more reanimation and the Cycling for ramp/trigger was enough reason to run the Monitor but I haven't really used him either. The Hydra would be great in a lot of situations and since I could play him by turn 5 pretty easily it should be a larger threat than what my opponent would be able to play. It does suck that the flip side can just get Pushed and either side can Walk the Plank, but again that's just drawing out my opponent's removal and tying up their mana. If they don't have it then it should provide some pretty hefty beats.
Thank you for your suggestions! I'm never super attached to sideboards since they are always situational and meta dependent and there are always things that might work better. I definitely should upgrade the Monitor the the Hydra, and I'll retool the numbers for access to more Enchantment hate. I'm still on the fence about Machinations. Sometimes I'll have an auxiliary sideboard with a few extra cards for multiplayer and I could certainly toss a few of these in the box for that without hesitation.
2 weeks ago
Digging the improvements. Regarding sideboard, let me just say that there are very few flying threats in the meta that aren't vehicles. The ones that are there, your mainboard is already equipped to handle with all the pseudo-fight removal. Instead of Crushing Canopy I'd like to see Slice in Twain instead, because it deals with enchantments and vehicles while also drawing you a card. Sure, this doesn't answer Angel of Invention but you have your fight spells for that.
3 weeks ago
Sorry for late reply, been busy with work.
As I've already said, your land base is way too small for a deck that tops out on 6 drops. 24 lands at least.
As for the sideboard, the reason you sideboard cards like Slice in Twain, Decommission and Prowling Serpopard are they're very low-impact if your opponent isn't playing cards they're teched against. I don't know if you know much card game fu but we call these tech cards, or hate cards. They're slotted in from your sideboard depending on the matchup to hate on your opponent's strategy, i.e. counter it. And you only have so many slots in a deck, it's a horrible idea to leave a bunch of random hate cards in mainboard.
So for an example sideboard, in my own cat deck Selesnya Cats:
2x Field of Ruin
3x Heroic Intervention
3x Prowling Serpopard
2x Settle the Wreckage
2x Sorcerous Spyglass
Do you see the point here? Cards to answer different archetypes. I recommend running something similar. Your sideboard right now is just a bunch of pretty bad creatures you would never want to mainboard in.
To summarise: More lands, swap creature base a bit, put the hate cards in sideboard.
3 weeks ago
Cards like Slice in Twain and Decommission should reaaaally be in the sideboard. Get some Metallic Mimics instead of the bad cats, and put in way more lands because 20 is way too few for a curve this high.
1 month ago
clayperce Thank you for the shout out.
Jables1987 Welcome to magic. I'm still newish myself, so welcome welcome welcome. Your deck is actually pretty solid. I have a few thoughts here that may improve it, but it is not in a bad place at all! Kudos!
1) I would remove 3 Channeler Initiate and add 1 Drover of the Mighty and 1 Otepec Huntmaster. You don't need the extra ramp from Channeler Initiate, and Drover of the Mighty and Otepec Huntmaster synergize much better with your dinos. Also, add 1 Commune with Dinosaurs; the value of fixing your curve or fishing for a finisher is a great utility.
2) Personal preference: I would remove Unclaimed Territory and add two basic lands. You're only running two colors with the dual lands to support them. I personally prefer to have the mana colors I need without a limitation of what I can spend it on. With a full playset of Drover of the Mighty and Commune with Dinosaurs, I think the chances of you being starved for a specific color are pretty low. Again, just personal preference.
3) I thought about Glorybringer and Rhonas the Indomitable myself. They do have a home here with Glorybringer providing some removal and aerial coverage; and Rhonas the Indomitable providing trample (as well as its own sturdy 5/5 body). That said, I wouldn't run both. I'd remove either one of them to complete your play set of Regisaur Alpha. Regisaur Alpha is a much more potent threat, increases the tempo of your deck with dino-haste, and brings a 3/3 trample-saur with it. (NOTE: If you do keep Rhonas the Indomitable, see if you can work in Emergent Growth. Paired with Rhonas, it is a very potent combo. It kills up to 10 creatures blocking it and clears the way for your other attackers. But don't break your curve to play this combo.)
4) Sideboard: Sideboard for me is tough as well. You gotta think about what needs to come out and go in against certain match ups. That said, your sideboard looks pretty good. I would remove Lightning Strike since you're already running 7 removal spells Savage Stomp and Abrade mainboard. I like the 4th Abrade in the sideboard. With vampires, cats, and scarab decks going wide in the standard, I would recommend removing both Chandra's Defeat and maybe one Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip for 3 Rampaging Ferocidon. Your mainboard doesn't have much to deal with go-wide decks. Rampaging Ferocidon punishes those decks passively and doesn't interfere with your curve too badly. Scavenger Grounds is always a tough call for me. It's great against control decks, but with Deathgorge Scavenger in your main board, you might be able to free up these spots in your Sideboard. I think it comes down to personal preference.
5) Maybeboard: I would not run Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip or Slice in Twain. Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip doesn't help your curve. It would likely transform around turn 5; at which point, you either want to drop Regisaur Alpha (if you didn't get him on turn 4) or Carnage Tyrant. Slice in Twain is a bit much for removal and you get the card advantage from Ripjaw Raptor.
Overall good deck! Kudos friend! Feel free to check out my Dino Deck.
1 month ago
In addition to those cards already mentioned:
Fragmentize/Demystify are cheap and answer enchantments. Decommission/Forsake the Worldly are higher costing, but have wider applications. Creeping Mold and Slice in Twain are the highest costing, but can also hit a land or draw you a card.
1 month ago
I may be Unhinged Bolas, borderline Unstable. But even I'm not insane enough to want to work for you. I know how you Grixis folk work with your Cruel Ultimatums and your Dark Intimations if you want a minion try calling up my Evil Twin I'm sure you would get along great.
As for me however I am a proud mage I run wild with the Pack fighting along side All My friends. Bring your reckonings and your Extinctions For when the time comes nature will shield us with a mighty intervention. We will Slice in Twain your places of power and Feast upon your False gifts. Be afraid for soon we will Overcome You and all your Allies .