|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
You gain twice X life. Put Sanguine Sacrament on the bottom of its owner's library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sanguine Sacrament Discussion
4 days ago
I think the first cuts should probably be anything that just gains life and doesn't draw a card or destroy anything. So that would be Benediction of Moons, Chaplain's Blessing, Heroes Remembered, Blessed Reversal, Sanguine Sacrament. After that, I'd probably start looking at all your 3-cmc "bolts". 3 mana seems a little steep simply to deal 3 damage to something, even if it gains you a little life on the side.
Also, one card that I completely forgot to suggest earlier is Fiery Impulse. While it can't go face, being a bolt that only hits creatures is pretty good.
on Oloro Stuff
1 month ago
- Chalice of Life Flip: Isn't the worst card in Oloro, but isn't all that reliable either.
- Darksteel Plate: I've seen you play this card a bunch of times, and most of the time it just sits there, all menacingly. Problem is - your deck doesn't plan to use creatures often, so the plate also won't be used either.
- Dreamstone Hedron: Ramp is great, but expensive ones that produce colorless mana can be iffy since they're often easy targets right after you play them. Gilded Lotus can at least let you cast counterspells after you tap all your lands to play it.
- Orzhov Keyrune: This one is just personal preference from me. I don't like 3 mana artifact ramp most of the time. (Chromatic Lantern and Darksteel Ingot are much better) It's up to you if you wanna take it out or not.
- Sun Droplet: This card is very slow and you could easily replace it with something better.
- Subversion: It may seem like a decent drain effect, but it's not that great since it's 5 mana and makes you wait til your next upkeep before it does anything.
- Thought Reflection: Decent card, but 7 mana is pretty costly. Up to you if you wanna keep it.
- Celestial Force: It's nice to instantly gain life each upkeep, but 8 mana for basically just a vanilla creature otherwise isn't really good.
- Pontiff of Blight: Extort is nice for your deck, but your deck doesn't have many creatures to take advantage of the pontiff. Up to you if you wanna keep this guy if you wanna add more creatures.
- Skirge Familiar: I think this card would be a lot better if your deck was more combo focused.
- Azorius Chancery: These types of lands will flat out screw you over if they get destroyed or Blood Mooned.
Cards you definitely should add (won't cost you a whole lot):
- Crested Sunmare: Easily synergizes with Oloro and provides very solid creatures for defensive/offensive plays.
- Aetherflux Reservoir: The win condition you've been looking for. It's a pretty funny card honestly, but works very well with Oloro once you get him going.
- Alhammarret's Archive: Simply synergizes well with Oloro.
- Felidar Sovereign: Not sure how the others would feel about alternative win conditions, but if everyone' okay with it, this guy can most likely win you some games.
- Karlov of the Ghost Council: An awesome card. Can help control the board or becomes a big body to swing with.
- Delay, Counterspell, Swan Song, Negate: Good, cheap counterspells you should at least be running.
- Sphinx's Revelation: Put that ramping to good use.
- Anguished Unmaking, Cyclonic Rift: Must-have control instants.
- Supreme Verdict, Merciless Eviction, Fumigate: Excellent board wipes to go with Oloro.
- Clever Impersonator: This guy's incredibly flexible and can be useful in just about any situation.
- Mana Confluence: Almost exactly another copy of City of Brass.
- Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Silence, Temple of Deceit: These will make your mana base a tad bit more consistent while helping you a bit with your next draw as well.
- Diabolic Tutor/Dark Petition/more tutors: Your deck would be more consistent if it had more tutors.
- Brainstorm: Generally a good blue card to manipulate your deck/hand a bit at an instant.
Suggestions (Some are costly, but very worth it for Oloro):
- Grave Titan: Just a powerhouse in general. Just like Crested Sunmare, Grave Titan will give you excellent battlefield presence.
- Whip of Erebos: If you do add more creatures like Grave Titan, this card can be very good for your life gain strategy.
- Sun Titan: One of my favorites. Can grab back some useful stuff, even land.
- Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, Auriok Champion: The soul sisters. You shouldn't include all of them at once though. Just keep them in mind since they're good against creature-heavy decks.
- Consecrated Sphinx: Costly, but worth.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation: Punishes spell-slinging decks, and generally nice if he sticks around.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim: She can be good if you can keep your life total high enough.
- Sanguine Sacrament: Pretty nice for the deck's game plan at instant speed.
- Demonic Tutor: Arguably the best tutor you can find, but the price tag will probably turn you away. But... Greatness, at any cost.. Right?
- Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor: Excellent tutors, but expensive (although Mystical Tutor is only around $5; not a whole lot compared to Vampiric Tutor).- Austere Command: Another one of my favorites. Very flexible, and doesn't cost a whole lot either.
- Torment of Hailfire: This card will probably make everyone hate you, but it's a fantastic card nonetheless.
- Leyline of Anticipation: One of the best blue enchantments in my opinion. Allows you to intimidate everyone just by playing a land on your turn.
- Crawlspace: Good against creature-heavy decks.
- Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Progress, Fellwar Stone: Some decent and cheap mana rocks if you want more ramp.
- Decree of Pain: A good tempo swing in your favor if there are a ton of creatures in play. Kinda costly to play though.
- Hallowed Fountain, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave: Shock lands. Excellent at increasing consistency with mana bases. They're even better with the Fetch lands. All of these lands are very costly though.
- Flooded Plains, Marsh Flats, Polluted Delta: Example Fetch lands you could use.
- Ponder, Preordain: Cheap cantrips for a little more consistency.
- Maze of Ith, Kor Haven: Decent control lands.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers: Generates a ton of mana if you get them together.
- Expedition Map: Can help getting the above lands or any land you need.
- Crypt Ghast: Synergizes very well with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, but is overall decent for your deck.
That's all I can think of for now. I can post more for you if I think of anything else.
1 month ago
Okay- lets get you set up.
Your commander is cool, and his main thing going for him is providing constant removal. His main downside is his mana cost and the fact that he costs 9 mana the second time you cast him. Personally I would use Vona, Butcher of Magan to have better removal and a lower cost. Don't worry about her life loss- you start at 40 and have the two best colors for lifegain.
You're creatures look really good, but I would use only vampires, (although leave Crypt Ghast in because he's awesome, and only keep Ulamog in there if you have mill in your playgroup). Other than that, throw out the non vamp creatures (should be 2 of them) and add in Sanctum Seeker and Necropolis Regent.
You do have some weaker vampires that could use some tweaking. Dark Impostor and Falkenrath Noble are fun, but require too much effort to really impact the board. Thief of Blood can also mess up your board. I would replace these with Liliana of the Dark Realms, Sorin, Solemn Visitor, and Sorin, Grim Nemesis.
One of the advantages of playing Black White is your access to enchantments. You're missing a few staples, including Exquisite Blood (To go infinite with Sanguine Bond), Phyrexian Arena, and Axis of Mortality goes very very well with Vona. I would get rid of some boardwipes to make room. Can't forget the classic Ghostly Prison as well.
Your removal is powerful, but much too expensive. I would take out Iona's Judgment, Grisly Spectacle, Pillory of the Sleepless and Mindcrank to make room for Path to Exile, Anguished Unmaking, Vindicate and Unmake.
If you find that the loss of life is too much, I would take out Trepanation Blade and Oversold Cemetery and Anowon, the Ruin Sage to fit in Sanguine Sacrament, Debt to the Deathless, and Boon Reflection
For your mana base, watch the video linked and follow his instruction. Tolarian is one of the best mtg sources available. Click here
Hope this helps, good luck!
2 months ago
You definitely want more wraths mainboard. Most approach decks run the full four Fumigates and the three Settle the Wreckage. Not having any hard wraths makes the deck really vulnerable to getting run over.
Also, targeted removal is also necessary. Cast Out, and cheap removal such as Aether Meltdown. Four Censors also provide early game interaction. I understand the want for a different wincon, but you don't have a way to get to such high life totals beyond casting a 17 mana Sanguine Sacrament, which seems unlikely. Approach in itself is already an alt wincon.
2 months ago
so, hoardofnotions, i REALLY wanna get off the Aven Mindcensor + Field of Ruin combo once, then maybe ill swap it out lol. as for Concealed Courtyard, maybe ill take it out, i have a standard deck idea that needs a playset, so that would be one less id have to buy. Utter End only got glossed over because my only copy is in alesha and i forgot all about it D: Caged Sun will probably be replaced by Aetherflux Reservoir. as for the others, Authority of the Consuls might find its way in there, replacing Sanguine Sacrament, once i get a copy of it. THANKS BUDDY :D
2 months ago
Some stuff I think could be changed out.
Concealed Courtyard is a guildgate the majority of the game, might be better as a basic?
Sanguine Sacrament seems like a possible cut.
Caged Sun is another possible cut. I'm really of the opinion that these cards are only good in mono color decks.
Cards that work well with your commander
Ashes of the Abhorrent, Auriok Champion, Authority of the Consuls, Blood Artist, Deathgreeter, Falkenrath Noble, Patron of the Kitsune, Resplendent Mentor (combo with Famished Paladin , Righteous Cause, Riot Control, Soldier of the Pantheon
2 months ago
I see a few problems with this.
To start, why not play 4 Legion Conquistador? Having more means that you get more value with casting them.
Same with Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle, you want another one of him.
Don't forget, you are allowed to have a 15 card total sideboard, and moving some of the enchantments there would make it so you don't draw Ashes against an aggressive red deck where it is useless. It also doesn't work on the main form of graveyard interaction in standard, God-Pharoah's Gift. Try adding Crook of Condemnation in the sideboard.
Axis of Mortality does nothing. As an aggressive deck, the only time you would ever get advantage from it is when you are losing to another aggro deck and in that case, turn 7 will not come.
More removal in Ixalan's Binding or Cast Out is good, since right now there is no interaction.
Oketra's Monument is also good with Legion Conquistidor.
Bishop of Rebirth dies easily and doesn't do enough, I would cut it in favor of more Adanto Vanguards.
Ritual of Rejuvenation, Sanguine Sacrament, Sheltering Light and Vampire's Zeal are not great cards, and overall would be better off as some that keep the deck towards a single plan. Possibly another Legion's Landing would help with the aggressive plan mono white has.
Metallic Mimic serves as a lord, which is especially useful with an aggressive go wide strategy.
You also want about two more lands. I recommend 2 or 3 Shefet Dunes over basic Plains since you will almost always have the mana you need without paying life.