|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
Menace When Dreamstealer deals combat damage to a player, that player discards that many cards. Eternalize 4BB (4BB, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's 4/4 black Zombie Human Wizard with no mana cost. Eternalize only as a sorcery.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (21)||L4DMalus , theilluminaire , AlertKnave8075 , tsirides , thetechzombie , darthnuchi , mcstang1986 , Supremespeed , Vasbear1 , 7vennum7 , Reliva , TheRealPeaches , saj0219 , Archegos , chrishuffman95 , KingOfGrixis , Epidilius , philktoken8998 , Unlife , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , golgarigirl|
2 days ago
first off, really cool deck. Something about running a deck with eight more of the same rodent than lands seems like everything that's awesome about magic to me. As far as the deck is concerned:
- 4 Opt with only 4 sources? Risking a card being uncastable just so you can replace it for something else seems kinda bad.
- Something I've found useful when playing this archetype is to play a lot of support cards with odd CMC for the sake of efficiency. Ruin Raider, Dreamstealer, Duress(essential against cards like Lost Legacy or Ixalan's Binding) or just tapped dual-lands are all a good use of every second turn.
- I'm not that sure whether secret salvage is that great here. You're around 37% to have 5 lands on turn five (assuming you can cast Opt and Cartouche of Knowledge) and around 57% on turn 7 not to mention Scavenger Grounds or The Scarab God fizzling it. Dreamstealer or Ruin Raider might possibly be better value engines although admittedly less flavorful.
- In the sideboard for against decks that both go wide and can remove Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive you might want Make Obsolete as both killing 1 toughness creatures and making 1 power creatures unable to trade with a rat is super relevant (you probably won't have the ascend for Golden Demise most games so I disagree with people saying you should run it).
- Finally I'd suggest being aware of instant speed removal on Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive during combat if your opponent has expendable creatures untapped. A legitimate strategy might also be to hold the umezawa until you can untap with lethal while your opponent is tapped down/you know they have no interaction. Also not attacking with Umezawa to avoid Seal Away/Gideon's Reproach/'pump spells' could be right in certain scenarios.
3 weeks ago
First of all, if youre trying to play only Wizards with enters-the-battlefield abilities, Dreamstealer wont be of any use to you. You could try replacing it with 2 Naru Meha, Master Wizard and a few card draw spells to help you find your Naban, Dean of Iterations faster. Opt and Hieroglyphic Illumination are both good, you should check and see which suits you the most.
If youre playing on a budget, ignore everything I am about to say.
That said, the first thing you should do is optimize your land base. Take out the Evolving Wilds and Submerged Boneyards and put in Fetid Pools and Drowned Catacombs, and youll be good to go. Then, you could optimize your removal by putting in Fatal Push and maybe Vraska's Contempt, if you feel that you need it.
Good luck, I hope my advice helped you a bit!
1 month ago
I agree with Crow_Storm. The eternalize and embalm creatures allow for you to benefit off of Neheb's discard. I think Dreamstealer would work particularly well, as it's own discard ability helps to keep the pressure with Neheb.
1 month ago
"Help me Argy-won, you're my only hope"
I have looked at decks like this before.
As you have identified, they don't fare well against Aggro, as they take too long to get up and running in comparison - the game is over before their pieces come together, or Control, as there aren't enough Opponent Creatures for them to grab.
We played around with Kitesail Freebooter in Ahoy, Me Hearties! and ended up replacing it with Duress. It is too easy to just kill it, and get back the card it stole. With Duress the card is gone forever.
The way forward here, I believe, is more Creatures to give you time to play your snatching cards, and to let more things die to buff Yahenni, Undying Partisan, which I believe you should have a full playset of. At least three copies.
Early stuff like Earthshaker Khenra would be the way to go. Things you are willing to trade for Opponent Creatures.
Here are some cards you could think about including:
- The aforementioned Earthshaker Khenra
- Dreamstealer - trades then returns, Menace is annoying, discard is annoying
- Fanatical Firebrand - early damage, then kill a small annoying Creature like Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
- Heart-Piercer Manticore - trades then returns, sac Opponent Creature you have stolen
- Walking Ballista - grow, and/or deal damage to Creature or Player
Most people have one Arch of Orazca in their deck, these days.
I know that is a LOT to think about. Tag me in these Comments if you want to discuss things a bit more.
1 month ago
The color white doesn't seem to fit here except for Anointed Procession which only works with Animation Module and Golden Guardian Flip. I don't think it's worth it to include that color which could slow down your mana base. You could replace Cast Out with more Vraska's Contempt. Maybe consider using some early death touch creatures like Gifted Aetherborn or Aether Poisoner to instantly kill Golden Guardian Flip when they fight? Maybe Scrapheap Scrounger since it can be recycled for yourself sacrifice cards like Costly Plunder? As for sideboard against a creatureless decks, something like Duress or Dreamstealer would be very strong since you can pull/discard their win conditions from there hand.
2 months ago
Strobasourus Much appreciated! Love the creature recomendations and I'll be using all but Dreamstealer I think. I have a standard deck that was built around it and Raiders' Wake but I wasn't getting enough out of Dreamstealer so I pulled it out.
2 months ago
you've got a good base. I would recommend adding a few more creatures such as Dreamstealer, Guul Draz Specter, Hypnotic Specter, and Liliana's Reaver. Just so you have a bit more defense against other attacking creatures. Also a few good enchantments that you might want: Larceny, and Raiders' Wake