|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs Might (DDS)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Human
Each creature that's a Barbarian, a Warrior, or a Berserker gets +2/+2 and has haste.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Lovisa Coldeyes Discussion
1 month ago
Tbh i totally missed the haste on Lovisa Coldeyes. That's so much better than I thought! I should find a spot for her. She'd go very well with my snow covered mountains.
I run more of the damage doublers, and some hate Blood Moon. But that's pretty meta dependent. Its got to the point where I only have maybe 2 turns to win or the boardstate/control gets too much for me to overcome. So Soulbright Flamekin helps here. it makes Hostility much better, effectively giving 7 creatures trample for 6<>. maybe sub for bloodfire?
1 month ago
I'm glad this was so helpful for you! I love Soulbright Flamekin too and have been seriously trying to find him a spot for a while. Need for Speed is a great card but I haven't been struggling too much for haste sources and would play stuff like Lovisa Coldeyes over it for fun and flavor.
3 months ago
I think this needs a fair amount of work. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so take what I say with a grain of salt, knowing many others could give you far better advice.
I think you have a few different things you are trying to do:
- Get Tribal Warrior Bonuses with Lovisa Coldeyes
- Cast creatures with Haste or give them Haste.
- Deal damage with Tapped and Exerted Creatures using Throne of the God-Pharaoh
- Combo Cartouche of Zeal and Trial of Zeal
- Having strong creature removal if needed
However, there's so much going on, I don't think most of these things will happen consistently. You only have 1 of each of the cards mentioned above, ensuring that you'll rarely see them played (especially the Zeal combo, which isn't that good to begin with).
I think you should just focus on a few things, mainly Warriors, Exhaust, and the Haste ability, as I think that's what you want your deck to mainly be. The suggestions I make are mainly using exactly what you have, only pulling a few cards from elsewhere.
I'd say get rid of the following:
- Trial of Zeal - It's not an instant, and it only deals 3 damage. Getting the combo off with Cartouche of Zeal is unpredictable. I'd much rather see 4 Hungry Flames in your deck, where you can clear their minions out, and deal a bit of extra damage to the player.
- Open Fire - Again, Hungry Flames is better here, as your focus is creatures dealing damage, so just having the option to deal 1 extra damage to the player seems like a huge loss, verses the ability to clear out their creatures and deal damage to the player. Additionally, Shock seems like a much better card at only 1 red mana, if you want more Instant damage.
- Grapeshot - You have a lot of mid to high costing cards, so at most you may get 1 extra damage with this consistently. Again, for 1 red mana, Shock trumps this (in your deck).
These I'd sideboard, maybe:
- Bitterbow Sharpshooters - They are situational, probably best if you know you are going against blue/white or someone with flying. Otherwise, the high cost and lack of synergy is hard to justify.
- Deem Worthy and Shivan Meteor - Both cost a lot to have as part of your core, and not very useful if you are going up a blue control deck, or aggro deck (again Shock and Hungry Flames would be useful in most all situations.) However, if you know they are packing some large creatures, then I'd stick with Meteor since it has a ton more damage, even though it lacks cycling and demands 2 red. If they have large creatures, you definitely rather overkill in case they can pump them.
- Hijack - Simply put, it's situational. Sideboard when you know you are going up against heavy artifact/vehicle decks. Otherwise, something that straight up destroys artifacts might be better (there's a red card that destorys X artifacts, I think, and that would probably work better in your side board. It could really cripple an artifact deck).
These I like but not sure about:
- Majestic Myriarch - I like this card a lot, but am playing it in a deck where I only have four five-cost creatures, a few three-cost, and the rest 1 and 2 cost. I don't think it fits well here, but with some changes it might. And you might play with it and find I'm very wrong. Try it and see how it plays out. If he can copy Haste and Double Strike, he could do well consistently.
- Throne of the God-Pharaoh - I get the idea behind this, but I'm simply not sure if it works in practice. Play with 2 or 3 in your deck (to make sure you see if regularly) and see how it works out. Get rid of it if the damage in negligible.
- Hazoret's Monument - I do like this in your deck, and probably would play with 2 or 3, but ditch it if it doesn't seem that helpful. But since you have so many red and red/green cards, it seems like it'd do well.
- Garruk's Horde - It's expensive and only kinda useful if you can get it out. Maybe Cultivator of Blades would be a better option. Again, this one you'd have to test.
These I think you could choose one or the other:
- Hooded Brawler or Khenra Scrapper or Ahn-Crop Crasher- These cards are nice in their own respect. I think the weakest is Hooded Brawler, mainly because he doesn't have haste and can be blocked. If you find you consistently get him out with Bloodlust Inciter to haste him, then maybe keep him. Otherwise, I'd choose Khenra and Ahn, and you should play 2, 3, or 4 of each. Ahn I think is especially strong.
- Rubblebelt Raiders or Frontline Devastator both I like for different reasons. I think Rubblebelt is the better choice. Play 3 or 4 of them.
Things I like:
- Samut, the Tested - This I think could pull off some beautiful combos with haste creatures, especially Ahn-Crop Crasher. Probably would add 1 more, maybe 2.
- Lovisa Coldeyes - He fits the theme well, I'd just add more of him.
- Bloodlust Inciter - Fits your theme well, gives haste, works as a chump blocker, works on curve. I'd probably want to have 3 or 4.
- Prowling Serpopard - Didn't know about this, seems incredibly helpful. Might be situational though, and maybe should be side boarded. If you are going against blue, you want this. Otherwise, something like, Sheltering Word or Blossoming Defense would probably be good in all situations as it protects against direct damage spells, -1/-1 counter spells, etc where as Serpopard does not.
- Khenra Scrapper - Seems like he could be pretty strong when you want to by pass creatures, especially in combo with Ahn-Crop Crasher and Bitterblade Warrior
That's probably way more than you wanted (if you wanted any criticism) but I hope it's helpful. I think the main thing is to focus on Haste and Warriors and/or Exhaust. I think you just need to increase the card count you have on some cards. Here's a quick mock up I did, though I didn't spend a ton of time on it. The main thing you'll notice is I increased card counts on cards I liked, and sideboarded anything I felt was more situational. I also slightly adjusted the Mountain/Forest ratio.
3 months ago
Same thing, i used to run it in my wheel deck until i got fortune, and its far too slow for my decl since my gameplan is to play Nekusar, the Mindrazer and then wheel opponents to death, its good for setup but definitely intimidates the other players while suspended
Its not bad in control decks where it can function similar to Ancestral Vision for drawing more answers
It was more of a budget rec of Wheel of Fortune but it is 100% worse,
Ive played tuned mono red decks in the past ( Krenko, Mob Boss, Norin the Wary and Lovisa Coldeyes, and the general problem ive seen shared between those commanders is that you frequently end up top decking after a few turns, and reliable card draw is VERY limited in mono red
Reforge the soul will probably do just fine here, and the only other options are Wild Guess, Tormenting Voice and Cathartic Reunion, but those are hard to cast if its not turn 2 cuz you often wont have anything to discard
But mono red is what it is, it starts explosively and then burns out mid game, frankly neheb is potentially far more explosive than the 3 red commanders i mentioned though, as long as you kill your table before you burn out, draw isnt that necessary :)
3 months ago
There's actually some very good builds here on tappedout. Just do an advanced search in the deckbuilder and select Commander / EDH as format and Lovisa Coldeyes as Commander, then sort the list by Score (descending).
Your biggest problem when playing mono-red usually is that you have very limited options for dealing with enchantments. My deck for example gets pretty much wrecked if someone sticks a Moat.
3 months ago
I'm looking to try and build a Commander deck with Lovisa Coldeyes as my Commander. I don't have a rough draft deck yet, as I'm looking for some helpful tips or some wisdom from more experienced players. I want it to be fun and decently competitive, but I usually only play in a small casual group so I don't necessarily need it to be a "win every game" deck, but I do want to stick with a Viking/Barbarian Theme using warriors/barbarians/berserkers for her buff ability. Giants are cool too. I'm new to the site and the forum so any help would be awesome. Thanks.
3 months ago
The first deck I ever built was actually a changeling super tribal deck. So I love your deck here! For some suggestions: I would take out Eye Gouge for Misery Charm. Same cost, same effect in this deck + additional options. Lovisa Coldeyes will give a nice boost and keyword. Seahunter, Moggcatcher, and Skyshroud Poacher all do the same thing, but I think at least one would be a good addition. Consider some of the other "Warchief" lords from Scourge. I see that you already have Mistform Warchief in here, but the others could be good too, especially if there are other non-changeling cards that you want to cast for cheaper in the deck. Didgeridoo to cheat your dudes in to play. Whelming Wave and Quest for Ula's Temple would be good. Kentaro, the Smiling Cat to use any color of mana to pay for creatures. Swarmyard is good but the card is a little expensive. Coalition Flag is just a funny card to use. Rashida Scalebane is a good assassin. And maybe even Borderland Behemoth for a big-ass finisher. If you want more tribal tidbits try either of these 2 Tribal Resources. Anyway, +1 from me, hope some of these suggestions were helpful!
4 months ago
I wouldn't make them tribal decks. I would just pick a "commander" that reflects that colors greatest strengths. You might at well make the format modern as well if its just going to be the set 5 decks.
Here are some Ideas for my commanders and their edicts.