Creature — Human Warrior
Whenever Grim Flayer deals combat damage to a player, look at the top three cards of your library. Put any number of them into your graveyard and the rest back on top of your library in any order.
Delirium - Grim Flayer gets +2/+2 as long as there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard.
Printings View all
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Grim Flayer occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.06%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Grim Flayer Discussion
2 weeks ago
Grim Flayer is a card that works well with Tarmogoyf and can get some extra value with Bloodsoaked Champion and Claim. If you do add it though, maybe add some more fetchlands to better add a land to your graveyard, as well as consider something like Scrapheap Scrounger to be an aggressive artifact creature for delirium. I've always had a soft spot for Grim Flayer, so it's probably not that great, but could still be worth trying.
3 weeks ago
Hello, I'll try my luck in cutting the list down. I would suggest to add Emrakul, the Promised End to the maybeboard just because. IT seems there are a lot of 2 drops and 1 ofs. I would throw Dreadbore into the side. Abrupt Decay and Assassin's Trophy do the same thing at instant speed. Speaking of which maybe put those cards at a 2:2 split. I like Assassin's Trophy but the extra land may hurt plus Abrupt Decay pretty much does the same thing, can't be countered, and it has yet to be seen if the converted mana cost restriction hurts the card.
Down to 67. Some cards are pretty costly you can restrict yourself to whatever you can get at the time being so for now cut expensive cards until you get them and by the time you can get them you probably playtested enough to see if you need that card or not.
Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger is just discarding a card and doing damage. Good card but doesn't really feel like the value you are looking for. You are digging and finding removal spells. I would put this card in the side.
Down to 65, Scavenging Ooze would be good against an aggro deck to gain life and such otherwise do you exile cards in your graveyard? Doesn't seem too good with the plan of having things in the graveyard to Grim Flayer and getting it back with Tasigur, the Golden Fang. Speaking of which the 6 drop slots have 2 1 ofs. I would go with a 2 of of Tasigur, the Golden Fang and put the other card in side for now.
You might also get away with cutting 1 land as long as you're the only one playing the deck. Not sure how many cards we are at but I really like the deck
Silverdrake on Jund
1 month ago
Kroxa and Rados's Return both feel lackluster here. I'd consider cutting them for some stronger threats that require less buildup, like Grim Flayer, Bonecrusher Giant, or Chandra, Torch of Defiance. I also feel like Angrath's Rampage could be replaced with a Bedevil, but I guess there are some merits to having a sacrifice effect instead.
2 months ago
Very nice deck. I have a paper Alesha, Who Smiles at Death list, so I can appreciate another paper non-blue stax deck.
Things I enjoy
Hope of Ghirapur is a very saucy include and is a strong Glissa recursion target
Tainted Wood and the other tainted lands are EXTREMELY under rated
Ulvenwald Tracker has some crazy strong synergy with Glissa (first strike and deathtouch)
Areas I can see improvement
First, Tree of Tales and Vault of Whispers raise risk while providing extremely marginal benefit (Mox Opal metalcraft). While it is recurrable with Glissa, you risk the chance of things like ETB tapped, get sniped on a land drop on turn 1 or 2, having it turned into a Mountain, or just having it not untap. Having 2 more basics will allow your Crucible of Worlds to be a BEAST with fetchlands and makes games against other stax decks easier. Similarly, you can ease off a touch with the non-standard dual color producers, because its only a two color deck. While these cards are certainly nice, cutting another 2-4 for various utility lands I bet you won't notice a drop in color consistency because of the high fetch density. I would also consider Wasteland and Ghost Quarter, which conveniently work extremely well with Crucible of Worlds in a stax deck. Green also has access to Ramunap Excavator, as well as the highly cancerous Exploration and Burgeoning and Azusa, Lost but Seeking. Blowing up a couple lands a turn makes players scoop pretty fast.
I think you should run the elf squad. Turn 1 elves make mana faster which helps A LOT. Stax decks needs to have strong starts, to get ahead of players so you can bury them with symmetrical and asymmetrical effects. Llanowar Elves Fyndhorn Elves Elvish Mystic Elves of Deep Shadow. I think these will help your consistency and speed. Also consider Priest of Titania. These are also great mid and late game targets for Skullclamp.
Artifact based draw that graveyards itself provides huge incidental value with Glissa. Specifically, Chromatic Star and Chromatic Sphere are worthy of includes. You could even grab Barbed Sextant if you strongly liked the chromatic effects.
Mana Web is a great effect when it goes, but I have personally found this card to be lackluster in color identities that lack White or Blue. It needs supporting cards to make it go, like Winter Orb and Static Orb. Blue and white get the benefit of having further extensions with Hokori, Dust Drinker and Stasis, and I really believe this card belongs mostly in decks.
Smallpox and Innocent Blood are synergy inclusions, but they are rather marginal if drawn later in the game. You could consider swapping one of them into Damnation. I don't think Sickening Dreams is worthwhile if you aren't running a combo to draw 50 cards and kill the table with it.
Tormod's Crypt could be worth running. Ezpz recursion target that you can always pop for value if someone has a creature about to die on the stack. Helps against fish hulk which you think is a bad match up. Also every deck has some way to gas from the GY.
You run some creatures that seem value oriented, but I think should be replaced. Wurmcoil Engine Ravenous Slime Scrap Trawler. I don't think you're getting enough meaningful action on combat for wurmcoil, I think ravenous is pretty marginal at beats as well as GY patrol, and scrap trawler is redundant with your commander and doesn't really advance your game plan.
2 months ago
3 months ago
I've already done some testing on DRS and Grim Flayer . Basically here's how it goes.
This deck can be built two different ways. The graveyard way, or this way.
I much prefer this way however, because it's more resistant in bad matchups and doeant get hated on NEARLY as hard by decks sideboarding to beat those increasingly popular dredge-style decks.
It's down to preference mostly, I just much prefer this over the Graveyard style deck.
3 months ago
Deathrite Shaman is amazing. I'd highly recommend it. Grim Flayer and Collective Brutality are also both good options as value. Best of luck with the deck! Hopefully Pioneer will grow on you or that you find a deck you really enjoy.
3 months ago
- Jund is amazing in every way except for you wallet. That is the worst part of jund. Discard spells impower your Tarmogoyf so running those is super important. Enough to want more Thoughtseize
- Dark Confidant is really good. It helps fight back the down side of discard cards. would recommand, and its early black devotion. Even when we take 5 on Gary when we cast him we heal so there is up side. Getting closer to our win con is always better. We dont need 20 life to win only 1.
- Scavenging Ooze is pretty powerful, you do have rest in peace in the SB but its still worth considering.
- Plague Engineer can help as well. Id play only one though. I see some decks play Murderous Rider as well as a one of.
- Collective Brutality is a very powerful card. I have been on the receiving end many times and lost because of the value this card gets you.
- I would recommend more removal. Espically at least 1x Abrupt Decay and one more Assassin's Trophy . Id be even more comfortable playing 2 more Fatal Push .
- The Reasons for blue: oko,3/3 elks, oko, and filtering with Snap caster. Unless you fight a lot of burn dont go blue.
- Reasons for red: Bolt is Life (cheap removal), Blood braid value (remember she was banned for some time), and wrenn and six. Jund is much more powerful than this build. That being said its not the archtype, and its wayyyyy more spendy.
- For land you want at least to "horizon lands" such as Nurturing Peatland and fast lands such as Blooming Marsh . Field of Ruin can also really help.
- Kitchen Finks is a great SB card and so is Fulminator Mage . Most play Nihil Spellbomb but you have white so you dont need this. By adding all this removal you wont need Damnation in your SB.
- Not a big fan of Mishra's Bauble or Grim Flayer . 10 Fetches is also a little high i would consider cutting down on those. To 6 or 8.
- You are abzan so i will say Worship is a card Giver of Runes Path to Exile and Angel's Grace are cards. As well as Siege Rhino . White also gets you Vizier of Remedies + Devoted Druid for infinite mana. - Tireless Tracker is also a good card draw engine although its not black.
- Other cards to consider Postmortem Lunge Eladamri's Call Finale of Devastation Sin Collector Eidolon of Rhetoric and Collector Ouphe