|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Uncommon|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, that creature's controller may draw a card.
1 hour ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
2 weeks ago
I run Marath too, and your deck is awesome. I've always been curious to try enchantress effects.
I would recommend Ivy Lane Denizen , Seedborn Muse , Basilisk Collar , Mentor of the Meek , Privileged Position , Cryptolith Rite , Ranging Raptors , Ripjaw Raptor , and maybe Fecundity if you're desperate for card draw.. which I doubt you are. Take those with a grain of salt, because I love your list. Those are just the major players in my list that I think you could benefit from too.
I would recommend cutting Assemble the Legion . In my experiance its brutally slow and I've never been excited to see it in my hand.
2 weeks ago
You've got several good Rakdos choices, because three of them have a sac outlet on the Commander, which is great for an Aristocrats theme. Judith is great, too, and can be very powerful in her own right.
But, a color combo you haven't considered thus far that might be up your alley is Golgari. It has so many great options to go with, and you can add Poison-Tip Archer as an additional Aristocrat. Golgari brings lots of good card drawing options to theme it with, with cards like Thallid Soothsayer , Vampiric Rites , Fecundity , Izoni, Thousand-Eyed , and that's just a few. Playing with also means you don't have to get hosed by enchantments. And you can just go nuts with your Commander options: Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord , Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest , and Savra, Queen of the Golgari , just to name a few. You can even do a saproling-specific build using Slimefoot, the Stowaway , which I'm doing myself.
With Golgari, you can just go nuts.
4 weeks ago
Tutors you desperately need tutors and you have to the best two with black, Demonic Tutor which us very affordable now with the UMA reprint and Vampiric Tutor , also Diabolic Intent is perfect for this deck. Not to mention Worldly Tutor or Natural Order to find the specific creatures you need I would also suggest removing creatures like Lotleth Giant or Hatchery Spider, they're mana cost is way too high and their etbs are mediocre. Also you're running Jarad and he combos excellently with Lord of Extinction to continually throw at all your opponents, and can be reanimated over and over.
Now reanimation comes easy, so I would suggest subbing Meren of Clan Nel Toth , and ramp this damn deck needs ramp. Llanowar Elves , Fyndhorn Elves , Birds of Paradise , also take the Elves of Deep Shadow and Golgari Signet from your Golgari guild kit and throw them in there. Abrupt Decay is also a must as it has versatility like Assassin's Trophy but is uncounterable. Not to mention the Bane of Progress is a fantastic enchantment/artifact board wipe.
Speaking of board wipes, you need some in EDH so I would recommend either Toxic Deluge a sweeper which is more affordable or Damnation . Toxic Deluge is faster than Damnation however and gets around indestructible, run both for most optimal removal.
Cut down your creatures from 39 to 35 and I would suggest some infinite win-cons. Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Triskelion fit very well in a reanimation shell (basically Mike gives Trike undying to which he can infinitely throw damage at your opponents and sac himself to reset undying and do it all over again) or even the good old Necrotic Ooze combo, which is Necrotic Ooze+ Phyrexian Devourer + Triskelion which you can set up with buried alive. Get Necrotic ooze, gets both the activated abilities of Trike and Devourer hit your opponent with 1/1 counters based on the cmc of the cards your exiling from the top of your deck. Also get Protean Hulk, the creature is busted and can fetch wincons 6 cmc or less.
Card draw is also vital, I would suggest Sylvan Library or Fecundity as one is the best card for drawing in green the other is great for graveyard strategies but it does fuel your opponent as well, so play it wisely.
Any ideas look at my meren deck, it's runs many of the same ideas with more detailed descriptions on win cons etc. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/merenating-dat-sauce/
1 month ago
For Karador: consider adding Fecundity, Viscera Seer, and Vampiric Rites for more card draw. I think Ramunap Excavator could go, because I don't see how it helps you all that much, but please explain to me if it does. I think you could cut Twilight Prophet, too. I can see how it would be useful, but all can see how it doesn't add much to what you want to do. You could maybe cut Animate Dead, Dread Return, and Unburial Rites as well. If you want to keep them, then I'd consider running more reanimate cards instead of just those three. Otherwise, just let Karador handle that part of the deck. Tortured Existence is another card to consider to help with Karador synergy.
For Animar: Consider more creature ramp, adding mana dorks like Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Fyndhorn Elves, etc to ramp out quicker. Zendikar Resurgent could be helpful, as well as Lifecrafter's Bestiary (for both decks). Also consider adding the Signets to help with mana ramp and fixing. I'd drop Hardened Scales. It would be a great card if you had a +1/+1 counter focus, but you don't appear to have that, so it must just be there for Animar, and you can't really tutor for it, and really isn't necessary for your deck to do what you want.
Hope that helps some.
1 month ago
I've mentioned this before, but I feel its worth repeating. Izoni, Thousand-Eyed is a nice card, but has its drawbacks. The major drawback I see is her high CMC, which is 6. So let's say even if you are hitting ramp every turn to start the game, then you're looking at a turn 4 cast, most likely. If you really ramp hard, let's say turn one, Land drop and Sol Ring, done. Turn 2, Land drop, Dork, tap Sol Ring for let's say Ashnod's Altar. So you'd have two dorks, two lands, Sol Ring and Altar after two awesome turns to start turn three. I think hitting this kind of setup consistently will be difficult to do. And then there's the fact that you likely don't have anything in the graveyard to make Izoni worth casting yet, if your goal is utilizing the Undergrowth mechanic. And then, you likely want to use the Undergrowth mechanic more often throughout the game, and hopefully scaling it with the game, giving you more tokens each time you cast her. But the next cast is 8 CMC, then 10 CMC, and so on with Commander tax. Its a tough sell. Or, you build up the graveyard and hope for one big haul on her first casting, and then go from there, dredging and pitching and sacrificing creatures to the bin in order to get a good ROI. This makes her more situational than anything, and do you want your Commander to be situational, or the centerpiece of what your deck does?
What I think you should consider is focusing more on her second ability, which is card draw and sac outlet on a stick. Focus that with the Aristocrats strategy, and worry about Undergrowth as a secondary measure. Cards like Mycoloth will work great with this, and another peach you could consider running is Deranged Hermit. He'll give you four squirrels each time he hits the board, which is more fodder for the Aristocrats and for Izoni. Verdant Force, Tendershoot Dryad, and Verdant Embrace all generate more tokens for your saccing pleasure. An Elvish Piper can help you in the mid to late game when you start trying to bounce Izoni with Temur Sabertooth or Erratic Portal.
So the token strategy will help set up the Aristocrats theme of the deck. Now you don't have to be quite so creature-heavy to start the game. You can play selective creatures that sac themselves in the early game (Sakura-Tribe Elder, Burnished Hart, Yavimaya Elder, Blood Pet, Blood Vassal, Caustic Caterpillar, etc) and your dredge creatures to help set up the mid game when you want to start using Izoni multiple times. Meren of Clan Nel Toth hitting the board would be huge in the mid to late game, especially if you can protect her. I've mentioned in the past that I'd just rather play Meren as the commander, and let Izoni be a support card, but Izoni can work, with the proper approach and a bit more care. I hope this helps
1 month ago
Hey, consider adding sac outlets? Creatures or other cards that have an ability to sacrifice a Sap:
- Ashnod's Altar
- Deathspore Thallid
- Vitaspore Thallid
- Viscera Seer
- Carrion Feeder
- Evolutionary Leap
- Krav, the Unredeemed
The nice thing about these cards are they are all repeatable sac and most have no mana cost activations to sac a Sap. Ashnods is not a budget card, but I'm suggesting it because it's very good with Slimefoot since you make colorless mana when you sac a creature. Skullclamp is amazing draw with 1/1 Sap tokens or sac outlets.
Budget lands to consider:
- Command Tower: one of the best lands in Commander.
- Llanowar Wastes
- Tainted Wood
- Hissing Quagmire
- High Market: sac outlet.
Other Sap themed cards to consider adding:
- Druidic Satchel
- Tendershoot Dryad
- Sprout Swarm
- Scatter the Seeds
- Saproling Migration
- Sporecrown Thallid
- Necrogenesis: exile your opponent's creature in their graveyard to make a Sap.
Cards that give you a repeatable source of Saps for no or little mana cost are very good: Satchel/Tendershoot/Mycoloth/Necrogenesis
Other cards that have good interaction with Saps to consider:
Other good support cards:
- Eternal Witness
- Golgari Charm
- Beast Within
- Golgari Signet
- Seasons Past
- Nature's Claim
- Kodama's Reach
- Pitiless Plunderer
- Deathrite Shaman
- Elves of Deep Shadow
- Elvish Mystic
- Fertile Ground
- Read the Bones
- Diabolic Intent
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
Intent is not a budget card, but I'm suggesting it because it has a very powerful effect when you sac a Sap.
I offer more help. If you like some of these suggestions I can help you to make cuts.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
This looks far better; we have a defined theme now and I see some more staples in (dorks). However I'd like to address few likely weak spots.
First thing that got my attention was the relatively high average cmc. This is a casual deck and higher-than-usual avg cmc is to be expected of course. But in my suggestions I'll keep in mind fostering a healthy curve and prioritize low-cmc cards.
Dragon Broodmother- this is a neat, but a very slow engine. If the deck works perfectly as intended, there are still cooler options. Plus 6cmc for such slow effect is a lot.
Ghoulcaller Gisa - again, neat but slow. At 5cmc there might be better options available to you. First similar thing that comes to mind is Open the Graves which would give you tokens more reliably (being a triggered rather than an activated ability stapled to an enchantment rather than a creature) and that doesn't have summoning sickness.
Sheoldred, Whispering One - probably the best expensive creature you have. My concern is that in order to get to 7 mana and stay alive long enough for Sheoldred to matter, you must have game in a state where, frankly, SHeoldred isn't much of a factor.
Stalking Vengeance seems awfully expensive TBH. That ceiling is something, but IMO it's too greedy.
Vicious Shadows - 7 mana to do something in case you have a removal and an opponent has significant number of cards in hand? You can comfortably throw in a blue moon somewhere in that chain of events...
Essence Harvest - goes well with the theme, but ultimately doesn't do much
Fungal Sprouting - cute, but the fact that it's useless when you're down makes it a no no in my eyes.
Now some suggestions;
Fecundity - seems like a cool way to draw extra cards
Skullclamp - in here it says ": draw 2 cards". Yes please.
Fling/Thud - these effects seem like they could/should be your bread and butter. Worst case scenario they're pw/creature removal with sac outlet. Best case scenario they are capable of taking down players.
Sidisi, Undead Vizier- tutor on a stick is usually good if you have creatures to sac. In a vacuum it's a Demonic Tutor that gives counters to Kresh. Best case scenario you have a sac outlet and get a complimentary 4/6 deathtouch to fool around with.
Smothering Abomination - draw engine on a stick. Seems good.
Birthing Pod - it kills stuff plus it tutors. And it's repeatable. What's not to like?
Evolutionary Leap - sac outlet that gets you more creatures.
Fecundity occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.01%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%