As an additional cost to cast this spell, pay 5 life or sacrifice a creature or enchantment.
Destroy target creature.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Final Payment Discussion
2 months ago
The new Teferi is awesome, and he certainly could be great in some of my decks, but I do not know if I can remove another card to make room for him, and he definitely will draw the ire of all other [players ion the game.
It is nice to finally have a card of Rem Karolus, who has been mentioned in the stories and flavor text, in previous sets, and I also like the new Ludevic, as well.
Sigardian savior is nice, but the fact that it must be cast in order for the ability to trigger is annoying; is WotC really that concerned about players abusing “enters-the-battlefield” abilities?
The fact that there is a Jack-o’-lantern on Innistrad implies that that plane likely has a legend of a man named Jack who tricked a demon or devil, as does our world.
With Kaya being on Innistrad, I wonder; does her magic of banishing spirits affect the natural system of magic on other planes? Does her power have limits? I cannot help but wonder if she is overpowered.
Sacred fire would have been nice if its flashback cost were not so high.
Given that Final Payment is an instant, is there any good reason for which rite of oblivion is a sorcery?
6 months ago
- Kin-Tree Invocation + Binding the Old Gods - Boneyard Lurker + Infuse with Vitality - Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner + Moritte of the Frost - Incubation / Incongruity + Quandrix Cultivator - Spellheart Chimera + Prismari Command - Final Payment + Humiliate - Zealous Persecution + Killian, Ink Duelist - Kaya, Bane of the Dead + Closing Statement
- Fleshbag Marauder + Brackish Trudge - Blight-Breath Catoblepas + Sheoldred, Whispering One - Audacious Thief + Unwilling Ingredient - Hagra Constrictor + Tergrid, God of Fright Flip - Blood Beckoning + Go Blank - Murder + Poison the Cup - Lazotep Reaver + Umbral Juke - Herald of the Dreadhorde + Feed the Serpent
8 months ago
Last couple topics,
I made an assumption and grouped Draw above Damage, and Deathtouch above Token.
Deathtouch 16%, Control 16%, Damage/Life 15%, Recursion 8%, Token 6%, Draw 6%, Discard 2%, Ramp 2%, Land 29%
Further on Card Advantage (which includes draw):
I know why your doing it and the thought process behind it, but here's an alternative perspective.
Your cards like Blood Divination , Costly Plunder , Pitiless Pontiff , Bone Splinters , Final Payment , Severed Strands , Spark Harvest are usually paired with LTB effect (like your damage/life and afterlife abilities), more along lines of Grave Pact (Also Dictate of Erebos , Butcher of Malakir , Dark Prophecy , Nightmare Shepherd , Etc.) or Reveillark / Academy Rector types.
The issue is Blood Divination why not Necropotence ( Greed ) for CMC1 less, and no sacrifice, let's you refill your hand anytime, Grim Haruspex /Etc. Why Spark Harvest / Bone Splinters over Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile or Mortify or even Bloodchief's Thirst / Generous Gift if your after planeswalkers.
So how are creatures getting into the graveyard, if your not sacrificing them along with other effects, a value engine!! Skullclamp is a necessity, Viscera Seer is strong, Phyrexian Altar (this card is cEDH level though), more things like Priest of Forgotten Gods & Ayara, First of Locthwain . Why sacrifice a deathtouch creature to LTB damage/life when you can Corpse Knight instead and get the value up front? Yahenni, Undying Partisan , Village Rites is ok because its CMC1 and Instant, you don't need tutor in battlecruiser/low (up to power 5), but cards like Diabolic Intent which also feed into things like Mausoleum Secrets are value. Ashnod's Altar , Doom Foretold , Razaketh, the Foulblooded , etc.
Key is value in / value out. Don't waste the value out just to enable your recursion. Value-in, Value-out, then recur. More Immortal Servitude (battlefield), less Soul Salvage (hand). Reanimate / Animate Dead (anyone's graveyards), Unburial Rites , Victimize , Agadeem's Awakening Flip, Revival / Revenge , Command the Dreadhorde , Blood for Bones .
Kinda touched on it, in previous. Control 16% is quite a bit, inline with power level. If you replace Ashen Rider , Bone Splinters , Final Payment , Severed Strands , Spark Harvest . Some should become the "sac outlets", like Skullclamp / Viscera Seer and some just better interactions (Instant speed whenever possible). Anguished Unmaking , Utter End , Swords to Plowshares , Merciless Eviction , Plaguecrafter / Demon's Disciple (Better Fleshbag Marauder unless your utilizing the Zombie part), Shriekmaw , Path to Exile , Generous Gift , Deadly Rollick , Dire Tactics , Hagra Mauling Flip, Unmake there's lots.
If you want to jump on a teams chat or anything when you have some time happy to help, just discord chat me, hopefully something that helps you focus this deck to a 4-5
11 months ago
Hey, great job on building your first deck! You seem to have the principles of deck building down and it looks pretty powerful, so I'll just offer some simple card substitutions and why.
Instead of Solemn Offering I would use Crush Contraband because it is instant speed, often hits two targets, and can remove indestructible things. (Though no life gain, which I think is part of your theme.) It is more versatile more often.
Instead of Font of Agonies I would use Dawn of Hope because this card only triggers from four other cards in your deck besides the commander: Erebos, God of the Dead, Hatred, Trading Post, and Final Payment (losing life doesn't equal spending life) I think more utility and draw options are better since you already have a lot of good removal already.
Instead of Tribute to Hunger use Blood Artist because you have so much removal already, and this card doesn't let you target anything. Blood Artist does everything this deck wants to do already and it triggers from any creature's death not just your own.
Throw in a Bojuka Bog and I think you're golden.
Good luck! I hope this was helpful to you.
1 year ago
Hey, nice budget version of Teysa with Deathmantle and Altar.
Cards to consider adding:
- Scheming Symmetry: great causal tutor, you get something and an opponent of your choice does too.
- Open the Armory: tutor for Skullclamp or Nim Deathmantle, two important cards to have more access too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation: Mystery Booster Set version, repeatable creature recursion.
- Viscera Seer: Core Set 2011 version, one drop sac outlet and scying is helpful.
- Doomed Traveler: one drop who creates a flying token.
- Mirror Entity: Mystery Booster Set version, pump Teysa and tokens. With a lot of tokens and mana this can be a win condition especially with flying tokens.
- Skirsdag High Priest: creates 5/5 Demon tokens and morbid can be triggered on any players turn if any creature died that turn. It's good in multiplayer and with tokens with vigilance.
- Fetid Heath: Double Masters version.
- Silent Clearing
- Shambling Vent
Any game when you have Skullclamp on the battlefield is going to be a better game than if you don't. Adding a few budget tutors that can get Clamp or one of your combo artifacts can be helpful.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 1x Plains
- 1x Swamp
- Temple of the False God: it can't make mana until turn five or after.
- Forsaken Sanctuary
- Orzhov Guildgate
- Final Payment
- Burnished Hart: too slow for ramp and doesn't trigger Teysa when it sacs itself.
- Butcher of Malakir: you have Pact and Dictate, don't also need this seven drop.
- Doomed Dissenter: Traveler is an upgrade because he creates a 1/1 flying token when he dies.
- Vindictive Vampire: the other aristocrats are better.
Good luck with your deck.
1 year ago
Thanks for the feedback Swilliam. I didn't know about Pitiless Pontiff or Qarsi Sadist, good suggestions. I agree about needing another sac outlet. I was considering Priest of Forgotten Gods but I think she might be too fragile to be useful in Pioneer. Should I swap out Corpse Knight for one of them?
1 year ago
Hey, cool deck. +1 from me. I'd just mostly suggest adding more sacrifice outlets. Pitiless Pontiff and Qarsi Sadist are pretty good. Qarsi Sadist also has an enter the battlefield trigger if that helps. Final Payment is also really great removal for this deck.
1 year ago
So I've done a little more testing and I found a couple of potentially useful cards for you. Final Payment is removal without any drawbacks if you sacrifice Stitcher's Supplier and you can use it to fill your graveyard. Paying five life is not the worst either depending on how much you can gain off of Wayward Servant. Mire Triton might be negligible considering the copies of Liliana, but for those on a budget it could have a home. In addition, including these could possibly help make room for cards that boost all of you zombies considering the large amount you can get from Diregraf Colossus. I probably jumped the gun a little bit with recommending the Rotting Regisaur earlier, but it inspired me to test out a green/black zombies deck with Lotleth Troll, Slitherhead, Dread Wanderer, etc. It seemed to work out alright.