Creature — Human Shaman
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/1 red Elemental token.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Young Pyromancer Discussion
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
JacenSolo29 as far as the next update goes, I’m waiting to see if there is anything else that drops from MH2, but I think we have the complete list now.
My first impressions are:
1) Faithless Salvaging - this works better than Thrill of Possibility since it can be cast on an empty hand and the rebound can’t be caught by hand disruption. Instant is nice if we really do want to cast on opponent’s end step. Then, if we draw an instant, we can cast with rebound on the stack to get full value.
2) Prismatic Ending - I personally really REALLY like this. Great against aggro, Humans, Jund, Ponza, Death's Shadow (minus Gurmag Angler ). See (https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/is-prismatic-ending-the-new-swords-to-plowshares/)
3) Damn - again, LOVE IT! Definitely love the versatility, but I don’t know if it would replace Dreadbore (hits PWs), Fatal Push (instant and cheaper), or Engineered Explosives (can be triggered at instant speed and can be cheaper). Definitely a consideration for spots that previously included Damnation or Wrath of God .
4) General Ferrous Rokiric - I personally really like this. Immune to most removal (specifically EFFICIENT removal) such as Lightning Bolt , Path to Exile , Fatal Push , and Cryptic Command bouncing it. If you play a lot of multicolor spells, like Kolaghan's Command , Kaya's Guile , Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , Nahiri, the Harbinger , Dreadbore / Terminate , and Lightning Helix , then you definitely benefit from having this.
5) Dragon's Rage Channeler - this has a Magmatic Channeler feel to it and couples well with the graveyard-centric focus. If you opt for utility ARTIFACTS, like Mishra's Bauble , Damping Sphere , or Engineered Explosives , ENCHANTMENTS, like Blood Moon , or PLANESWALKERS, like Liliana of the Veil or any of the previously mentioned PWs, then you have an even easier time to activate Delirium. You do have to attack every turn, but having flying as evasion is really nice. Surveil is good if we start running more Flashback spells, like more Lingering Souls or Smiting Helix .
7) Obsidian Charmaw - OMG there are SO many Tron hate cards in this set, and I LOVE it. If Tron or Eldrazi Tron get more popular through all the hate from this set, then this would be great to add create a clock.
8) Vindicate - old EDH tech being added to Modern. I like the idea of destroying anything, but sorcery speed and 3 cmc, with everything else that has come into the game (and power creep), makes me unsure of its power. Could be what we need, but 3cmc is already crowded in the list.
9) Flame Blitz - UW/x, Jund, and maybe Tron typically run more PWs, so if we forgo running PWs, ourselves, then this serves as an extremely cheap PW hate card. Cycling is nice if we draw it and the opponent has side boarded out a majority of their PWs.
10) Harmonic Prodigy - if we bring back Young Pyromancer , add in Dark Confidant , and focus on Prowess, then I think this would rather have a home in a Feather, the Redeemed /spell-slinger deck. Still, it would be ok here, with the high spell count we run.
11) Sanctifier en-Vec - I don’t think we want to use this... definitely expect it in Burn or D&T lists against us.
12) Dauthi Voidwalker - now THIS we can use. Basically Sanctifier en-Vec , but unilateral hate and can help against Dredge or other recursion based decks. I like that we can sac on targeted removal and cast one of their spell(s). can conflict with our spells, but we are usually ok. If we get Blood Moon ed, we can usually laugh it off and power through it.
13) Bone Shards - in the primer, I’ve indicated that Mardu Pyro has different variants (spells/grave, PW, and Aristocrat/tokens). I feel this would slot nicely into an token deck, along with Village Rites , Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger , and Afterlife creatures.
14) Fury - at first glance, I’ve been conflicted. Seems ok as protection from aggro strategies, but I wish it had either 1 more toughness, did more damage, hit players, or cost less. It just seems... meh... I’m skeptical, but I’ve definitely been proven wrong before, so I’ll keep my mind open.
15) Mine Collapse - great if we run a bit more heavy on lands and run late. Too bad it doesn’t hit players though... a common theme from cards this set.
16) Arcbound Whelp / Esper Sentinel /Knighted Myr - another idea that has come to fruition from this set is Mardu Affinity. No, we won’t tech for Hardened Scales , but the removal suite that we run, in addition to these new artifact creatures (and lands!) is tempting enough to test some brews.
I hope this gives an idea of what we could change for the deck. The list was roughly done in the order of what we would tech in to the current build, but anything is possible! Let me know what you all think.
Edit: some of the cards (Knighted Myr, Mine Collapse, and Bone Shards) did not have the links set up in TappedOut as of the time of this post, so I do apologize for that.
2 months ago
Chandra's Incinerator is basically a one-sided board wipe
Young Pyromancer one of the best token generators ever printed, Mogg War Marshal isn't as good but still can be three creatures for two mana with reanimator synergy. Chandra, Acolyte of Flame gives temporary token but they still get the job done considering they are sac fodder.
Oketra's Monument , Monastery Mentor , Hero of Precinct One , Sedgemoor Witch , and Desecrated Tomb give back a bit of your commanders cost. Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder generates 4 tokens every time you cast your commander since it counts as a creature spell with 4 cmc.
2 months ago
Hey there! Spellslinging is a super popular theme in commander (assuming that's what you're going for), and I have a few options you might want to look into! On a side note, if you like getting suggestions I recommend marking your deck as "help" under its edit settings so people are more inclined to comment on it. Additionally, you can specify which printing when inputting a card, but for Rowan it would be "1x Rowan, Scholar of Sparks (STX:278)".
Will and Rowan are GREAT, but if you'd like, here are a few instant/sorcery matters commanders in ! Most of these are also great cards just in the deck whether you use them as commanders or not: - Veyran, Voice of Duality - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Niv-Mizzet, Parun (goes infinite with multiple cards such as Ophidian Eye , Tandem Lookout , Curiosity , and more. Especially with something like Laboratory Maniac out) - Melek, Izzet Paragon - Zaffai, Thunder Conductor
Lands/Ramp: Since this would be a spellslinger deck, I'll stay away from too many artifacts, but here are a few ramp cards and good lands to consider!
- Sol Ring
- Arcane Signet
- Sapphire Medallion / Ruby Medallion
- Lotus Petal
- High Tide
- Mind Stone (if you plan on running a lot of card draw)
- Thought Vessel
- Commander's Sphere
- Treasonous Ogre
- Dockside Extortionist
- Irencrag Feat
- Jeska's Will
Extraplanar Lens (if you plan on running a lot of basics)
- Scalding Tarn
- Riverglide Pathway Flip
- Temple of Epiphany
- Sulfur Falls
- Frostboil Snarl
- Training Center
- Command Tower
- Ancient Tomb
- City of Brass / Mana Confluence
- Prismatic Vista
- Shivan Reef
- Cascade Bluffs
- Fiery Islet
- Spirebluff Canal
Some good Instants/Sorceries There's obviously tons upon tons upon tons of these, but here are a few that I enjoy using.
- Swan Song
- Fierce Guardianship
- Cyclonic Rift
- Mystical Tutor
- Temporal Mastery (good with the tutor above)
- Faithless Looting
- Narset's Reversal (lot of infinite combos I believe)
- Deflecting Swat
- Thrill of Possibility
- Rapid Hybridization
Instants/Sorceries Matter: There are also tons of these, but just to name a few:
- Baral, Chief of Compliance
- Young Pyromancer
- Docent of Perfection Flip
- Wee Dragonauts
- Snapcaster Mage
- Sprite Dragon
- Any card with magecraft from strixhaven
I hope this helps! Some suggestions may be out of budget and others may not be, and on the other hand you might have already known about most of these cards, but either way I hope this is of use to you! Be sure to check out some of my decks like Double Trouble EDH ⫸PRIMER⫷, but most of all, good luck on your deck! Have a fantastic day, and happy tapping.
2 months ago
- Kin-Tree Invocation + Binding the Old Gods - Boneyard Lurker + Infuse with Vitality - Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner + Moritte of the Frost - Incubation / Incongruity + Quandrix Cultivator - Spellheart Chimera + Prismari Command - Final Payment + Humiliate - Zealous Persecution + Killian, Ink Duelist - Kaya, Bane of the Dead + Closing Statement
- Fleshbag Marauder + Brackish Trudge - Blight-Breath Catoblepas + Sheoldred, Whispering One - Audacious Thief + Unwilling Ingredient - Hagra Constrictor + Tergrid, God of Fright Flip - Blood Beckoning + Go Blank - Murder + Poison the Cup - Lazotep Reaver + Umbral Juke - Herald of the Dreadhorde + Feed the Serpent
3 months ago
If you are playing a budget storm list, Lava Dart & Conflagrate will add reach and multiple spell casts. Escape Velocity or Underworld Rage-Hound type escape cards makes fossil find a lot better. Just jamming stuff that reads 'when spell' and 'draw a card' will work ok - though meta consideration, luminmancer is making people pack removal for that plan.
Force of Rage is fairly cheap and a pair of ambush vipers can be useful.
There are some cool sideboard options - Tunnel Ignus , Sulfur Elemental , Ingot Chewer and so forth, but they have mostly been balanced around Flamekin Harbinger which is out of budget, so slots will dissapear quick - I'd look at hiding some mainboard.
3 months ago
Thanks for your suggestion.
Pyro goes wide, while the Elite goes tall and is vulnerable to removal. Also, the Pyro synergizes much more with Atarka's Command , which is the best card in the deck.
The Elite would be a good pick for the deck for sure, but it's simply not good enough to replace something else.
4 months ago
Well, I’ve mainly played Izzet decks in other formats and Young Pyromancer and Talrand, Sky Summoner are some of my favorite cards, Kykar is very similar to those cards so that’s why I wanted to build Kykar.
But I do kinda want to switch it up a bit so I’ll have something different to play.