Font of Agonies
Whenever you pay life, put that many blood counters on Font of Agonies.
, Remove four blood counters from Font of Agonies: Destroy target creature.
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , metalmagic|
Combos Browse all
- Font of Agonies + Plague of Vermin
- Font of Agonies + Phyrexian Processor
- Font of Agonies + Wall of Blood
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Font of Agonies occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Font of Agonies Discussion
4 days ago
Santiago1011, that is completely understandable. I also wanted to bring up Gary aka Gray Merchant of Asphodel possibly being replaced by K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth. I have found on numerous occasions of playing with Gary that he just often felt underwhelming in this deck. In order to fully tap into his potential I found that I needed several other pieces already in play. As his replacement I opted for K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth as a form of mana acceleration. I found that he acts as a one card mana cost reduction engine for a number of our pieces, such as Bolas's Citadel, Necropotence, our commander, etc. This addition also helped improve running Font of Agonies if you so desire.
1 month ago
Hey, great job on building your first deck! You seem to have the principles of deck building down and it looks pretty powerful, so I'll just offer some simple card substitutions and why.
Instead of Solemn Offering I would use Crush Contraband because it is instant speed, often hits two targets, and can remove indestructible things. (Though no life gain, which I think is part of your theme.) It is more versatile more often.
Instead of Font of Agonies I would use Dawn of Hope because this card only triggers from four other cards in your deck besides the commander: Erebos, God of the Dead, Hatred, Trading Post, and Final Payment (losing life doesn't equal spending life) I think more utility and draw options are better since you already have a lot of good removal already.
Instead of Tribute to Hunger use Blood Artist because you have so much removal already, and this card doesn't let you target anything. Blood Artist does everything this deck wants to do already and it triggers from any creature's death not just your own.
Throw in a Bojuka Bog and I think you're golden.
Good luck! I hope this was helpful to you.
1 month ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
3 months ago
4 months ago
I'm surprised no Cabal Coffers to really burst up the mana.
Tentative Connection is a great ol' "one turn steal and sack" trick that synergizes amazingly with Greven, but there's one more that I throw in so I can have more fun: Act of Aggression. I'd give up some of those homespun sacrifice targets and enjoy sacrificing other people's creatures! ;-)
On the life gain side of things, you gotta want Exquisite Blood no? Throw in a Tree of Perdition and you can do horrible, horrible things to people: the Tree swaps their health down to 13, and that counts as life gain for you, and then you sack the Tree, giving up all that life you just gained, but now Greven is this unholy monster that just levels the playing field (and ironically, if that wasn't lethal, you'll get back all the life loss they get again). It also pairs similarly with Heartless Hidetsugu (though the Whip of Erebos you've got already in there makes it work well enough).
Some things are just better in graves, like Filth and Anger... and if you aren't going to have much in the way of reanimators, Necrotic Ooze comes in handy... just in case someone somehow dodged a bullet with the first use of Tree of Perdition's active ability... now you can try taking them down to 3 health! ;-)
Pro-tip if you play multi-player games: the myriad mechanic is your friend. Banshee of the Dread Choir and Warchief Giant let you trigger any ETB effects, and then you can play politics with your opponents trading favours for which token you are going to sacrifice to boost Greven.
I love pairing Greven with Flayer of the Hatebound as you do. Even more fun is bringing in K'rrik's old man, Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, because at the cost of 1 life (yeah! Greven and Font of Agonies get even more charged up!, and a minion sacrifice, you can cancel out that +1/+1 counter so that you can keep sacrificing the Flayer each round.
One more fun thing that can add chaos into everything is Brash Taunter. Not only is he a great blocker, but If you've got Fiery Emancipation out, you can use Soul's Fire and then have Brash Taunter be the target, who then redirects to your opponent... with the damage tripling on each hop, for 9x damage from Greven's power after he's done a sacrifice... and that's not counting his actual attack damage.
5 months ago
AT23 unfortunatley I don't have much money anymore after buying the cards, but maybe in the future I'll give MTGO a try :P
zAzen7977 Thanks for the suggestions, I really like them! Unfortunately I am on a bit of a budget, but I will still try out the suggestions you gave me on here. I do have some creature removal in the form of dealing straight damage to creature's using Rage Extractor and Font of Agonies, but perhaps I need something more direct like you suggested.
9 months ago
Wow, Licia with Vilis is busted. Both expensive granted, with few ways to ramp them out here (ignoring the life gain clause of course,) but wow. A free five cards a turn is not to be scoffed at.
I’ve never seen Font of Agonies before either. What a card here.
Anyway, are you looking for any specific suggestions? Is this just for playing with friends? At a shop (one day when shops reopen...)?
1 year ago
While maybe not that related to your deck theme, a cool card to include would be Vilis, Broker of Blood . Without even doing anything else with Vilis, each time you get the Erebos death proc and pay 2 life, you draw 3 cards instead of 1. And Vilis is not only removal that gets you more cards each time you use it, but you can also use his ability to kill your own creatures, seeing as most of them are 1-2 toughness like Bloodghast and Reassembling Skeleton. If you kill your creatures like that with Erebos out, you would instead draw 5 cards for 1 mana. Vilis would be a pretty good late game play when you have all your ramp ready and maybe be some kind of finisher, but if you're going multiplayer it might also make you archenemy of the table. You can also include Font of Agonies to go along with your life loss from Erebos, so if you kill 2 of your own creatures, you draw 2 cards and then also have a 2 mana removal spell for whenever.