|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Rare|
|Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (E01)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Insect
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control five or more lands, put four +1/+1 counters on Scute Mob.
Scute Mob Discussion
1 week ago
Easy switch outs to me:
Acidic Slime - you have plenty of destroy enchantment or artifact things.
Verdant Force - meh with what you're doing
Turntimber Sower - also kinda meh
Baloth Woodcrasher - no trample, would be chumped all day long
Seer's Sundial - you should be ramping enough that this is irrelevant to you - green and black are excellent ramping colors save this for the red or colorless deck you're going to build in commander.
Second Harvest - too situational
Deathreap Ritual - seems very situational
Zendikar Incarnate - can grow fast, no trample or other evasion
Scute Mob - dangerously fast growing - no trample or other evasion
Crop Rotation - search for a land card, put on battlefield
Sylvan Scrying - search for a land card, put in hand
Reap and Sow - destroy target land and or search for a land
Tempt with Discovery - search for a land and for as many lands as opponents search for
1 month ago
I really don't like Akoum Firebird . It seems rather mana intensive to get it out of the graveyard for a 3/3 flyer. Multani is much better, and you're already running it. If you're looking for some more "land-matters" based punch, Scute Mob and Crash of Rhino Beetles are good ideas.
I run an Orcish Lumberjack in my build, and I just love it. Lots of ramp for the price of a forest I'll get back eventually, and it'll get you a Gitrog trigger, too.
Seeing that you're running Sylvan Awakening , you might give consideration to Jolrael, Empress of Beasts as well. It does a good job of making opponents a bit nervous about casting board wipes, or allow you to overwhelm an opponent to eliminate them. It's very flexible.
I love your inclusion of Ayula's Influence . Great synergy there.
2 months ago
Hi, I hope that at least some of what i'm going to put here will be useful, and even if you don't use any of my advice then maybe you will be able to see where I am coming from and use the logic to find your own improvements :)
As the previous commenter has suggested the amount of ramp spells that put lands in to play in your deck is a bit to low for a ramp deck especially one that has subthemes of landfall. Typical commander deck building suggestions say that you should have 10 pieces of ramp to tide you into the midgame. This goes for any deck, not just ramp decks. In ramp decks you will want more. At my count you have 12 ramp cards that are reusable (ie, aren't the one shot sacrifice elemntals) this will want to be more really, with a focus on them being ones that put lands in to play. Another of note, is that cards like Zendikar Resurgent don't really count as a ramp slot, as by the time we can cast it, we have a lot of mana already. 'Ramp' cards are ones that you want to see in your opening hand to get you into your game plan faster.
For this reason I would look into replacing some of the creature based ramp and some other low impact cards with this ramp that will get us executing our main game plan faster and better.
These can all be easily replaced with land based ramp spells as they don't get you any further ahead on mana than 1 land, or are one shot abilities when we want to be dropping big things multiple times over multiple turns.
Smokebraider Is unique because it produces 2 mana for only 2 investment, but only if we focus in on elemtals so can be left on a short list to be evaluated. We'll list other potential cuts later when looking at more over all deck evaluation.
The previous commentor has provided a list which at first glance seems to be comprehensive enough to provide some ideas for what to add.
More conventional commander wisdom suggests that you have at least 5 ways to directly interact with your opponents game plan. I personally nearly always play more than this, but you should have at least 5. This direct interaction is preferred to be the targetted simgle response cards that can remove threats in any shape or form. Of note, this removal count is seperate from the count of mass removal. At my count you have Song of the Dryads , the down tick of Domri, Anarch of Bolas and Ingot Chewer as easily accessable removal. Things like the trigger from your commander or things like Magmatic Force are more incedental as you can't rely on them doing what you want when you need it.
Cards that could be added in this slot are many. But it is a good idea to have as many as you can being generic answers to anything, but also you need to make sure that they are ones you can realistically weave into your game plan instead of leaving up those answers at all times. This is mostly a balncing act that is where fine tuning comes in from playing the deck. But potential recommendations for all purpose would be Beast Within and Chaos Warp . After that they become more specific but can be cheaper in mana,
- Nature's Claim
- Domri's Ambush
- Force of Vigor
- Krosan Grip
- Hull Breach
- Broken Bond
- Reclamation Sage
This may seem counterintuitive, seen as you are planning on being the big creature deck that wants the board presence. But sometimes the opponents boards just need answering (Not to mention that you might end up getting a lot of elemental death triggers from Omnath). As such having 2 or 3 creature wraths might be worth trying. And having 2 or 3 artifact and enchantment wraths will be good to have access to aswell. Something you already have so I assume you already know.
Creature wraths to consider in green red include
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Chain Reaction
- Savage Twister - This one is representative of X cost ones that are interesting to try as it gives you the oppertunity of clearing out small creatures while keeping yours alive if you would prefer. Another one that can also be used to finish of players is Rolling Earthquake
You already have the cards for mass removing artifacts and enchantments so I won't bother listing any more.
One of the most common recommendations I have to make to people about their deck is to up the amount of card draw or selection in their decks. There is no point in having sweet cards and synergies in here if we never get to see them! Normally I recommend having 10 ways of drawing cards in your deck, with some of them being repeating and some being one shot. At my count you currently have 7 (Or 8 if you count Praetor's Counsel which can do effectively a similar job), so you are nearly there but I would recommend adding a couple mr just to smooth out the deck running.
- Harmonize is the most obvious recommendation withit being notorious for its colour pie break with not haveing a restriction based on creatures or similar.
- Horn of Greed is universal, but we should be getting more value from it.
- Greater Good is amazing if you keep having big creatures to sacrifice. Thankfully due to our commander triggers, we do!
- Chandra, Flamecaller can cover multiple bases of what we need, it can be counted as both a wrath AND a card draw engine :) IT also even makes elementals (of note, they get exiled at end step instead of dieing so you won't normally get Omnath triggers. Sacrificing them to Greater Good though....... )
- Rishkar's Expertise can be great card draw as you don't need to take a full turn off to refuel, you still get to cast something that costs less, which could be that removal spell or something you needed!
These overview sections are recommendations for generic cards that could go in. From here on, we will be looking at more specific card options, and possible cuts from the existing deck
Now, again as the previous commentor mentioned, there are multiple ways you can take an Omnath deck. My take on them being
- RG Big thing Ramp. No specific synergies in mind except for incidental ones like, I need land to cast my big spells, and this card cards about land. Not a bad deck by any means, just less commander or theme focused.
- Elemental Tribal Ramp. This seems to be closer to what you are currently going for. Similar to the RG ramp deck, just with tribal synergies from elementals
- Landfall / Lands Matter. Here we are focusing on many landfall triggers, and keep cycling our lands round and round to get them. This deck will likke having access to things like Crucible of Worlds and many effects like Exploration
Here, i will suggest some cards for each of them and maybe later on if you want we could look more into one or a mix of these strategies.
- Ruric Thar, the Unbowed This card is very very powerful. Expecially as the decks around you get more and more powerful and wanting to do more combo and storm bsaed strategies.
- Gruul Ragebeast A good way of keeping the board under control when you play your 'large and incharge' creatures
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger We have mana, they don't. Enough said really. Just beware that with this creature, sometines the adage If you can't remove the problem, remove the player can be applied to just killing you.
Other than ones recommended here, perhaps a good idea would be to use Gatherer or mtg.wtf to find elementals in your colour. Or cards which reference elementals in your colours, the example in wtf would be this
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame can rebuy your ramp spells and can make elementals that will die to trigger Omnath.
- Chandra, Awakened Inferno A wrath that doesn't kill elementals and can provide a reasonable clock on the game with her uptick.
- Omnath, Locus of Mana Store mana for a rainy day. Or for hitting your opponents upside the head with it. Both work.
- Parallel Lives Double the tokens, double the elementals, double the damage. We like.
- Tornado Elemental clears out any things like Dragons, or Flying Slivers or similar. Also good at picking of planeswalkers as it has sudo unblockable.
- Liege of the Tangle we can go REALLY all in on making all our lands elementals and meaning that if someone wraths us we can basically kill everyone from Omnath triggers
- Budoka Gardener Ramp early game, big guys late game.
This deck idea might have elements that are closer to a combo deck than the others, but will still mostly be a midrange deck.
- Perilous Forays With your commander out this card is bonkers. But if we are making other elemental tokens too then we can truly get going somewhere
- Crucible of Worlds , Ramunap Excavator , Life from the Loam Allow you to play the lands from your graveyard after we have sacrificed them for effects. Also makes always hitting your lands drops easier if you are playing and sacrificing a fetch land
- Exploration , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Oracle of Mul Daya all ways to play more lands per turn
- Cavalier of Flame can be card draw and synergizes with lands in graveyard. As well as being an elemental!
- Scapeshift lots of triggers all at once
- Splendid Reclamation if we are sacrificing lands then this gets them all back. Very good after a scapeshift
- Amulet of Vigor makes some of our ramp a lot more effective, while at the same time providing a good combo with Perilous Forays and Omnath, Locus of Rage Of recommendation if you run a lot of land recursion effects then other lands that sacrifice themselves might be worth it. Like Wasteland Strip Mine etc
I won't re-list the cuts recommeneded in the ramp section. I will be evaluating cuts in the assumption that the deck is wanting to be a combination of an elementals ramp deck and a lands value deck. A lot of these recomendations for cuts will have very similar reasonings, which I will elaborate on first to be able to be brief later on. These recommendations will possibly sound rather brutal, however I find that it makes it a lot easier to have too many cards that are on the cutting block rather than not enough.
- Too Slow. If the card takes too many turns to start pulling its weight then it could be replaced with something that does what we need sooner. This is common in cards which have 'at the beginning of your upkeep' effects as they will normally have to wait an entire turn cycle to start doing something. Enters the battlefield triggers or similar things that have an effect the turn you play them are often preferred.
- Too expensive. This should be self explanatory. If the card costs too much mana, especially if the same effect can be achieved for less mana then it should be exmined.
- Doesn't do enough. While the effect might be interesting and maybe something we actually want in the deck, The card just doesn't pull its weight in whatever role it is supposed to be doing
- Doesn't contribute to our game plan This might be a good card, maybe even a great card in other decks. But perhaps the effect just isn't one we need in this deck
- Cytoplast Root-Kin Too slow. Doesn't contribute to our game plan.
- Dragonmaster Outcast Too slow. Doesn't do enough
- Grazing Gladehart Doesn't do enough. While we like landfall triggers. The life gain is small enough to be negligable unless we are massrecycling all lands from our yard multiple times.
- Magmatic Force Too Slow.
- Magmaw Doens't contribute to our game plan / Doesn't Do enough. We can run other sac outlets if we want ways to sacrifice our elementals
- Scute Mob Possibly too slow. But I love me a scute mob so I'm fine with this staying in :D
- Spawnwrithe Doesn't do enough. However this one can stay in if you have found that you realistically get to connect with it at least twice to have four of them
- Tendershoot Dryad Doesn't contribute to our game plan. Though it is very good at gummin gup the board
- Tyrant of Discord Doesn't do enough. However if you change to having some ways to knock your opponents off of lands then the chances of this hitting multiple nonlands go up and its value does too. However there are enough control players where the onlything this will do is destroy a land at random
- Undergrowth Champion Deosn't do enough. It's got all the right keywords but thats about it
- Retreat to Kazandu Doesn't do enough. THe landfall idea is good, but putting 1 counter an a guy once or so a turn isn't worth the slot really
- Sword of the Animist Too Slow. We want this effect, but we aren't attacking multiple times in one turn so there are better effects to get lands from our deck. We don't neccessarily even have than many small creatures to equip this too to get it active early enough for the ramp to be that useful as ramp
- Animist's Awakening As much as i want this spell to ever be good. It's just not really at all.
- Journey of Discovery Too slow. For this to be actual search out ramp you need to entwine it which is then 6 mana. Any of the 4 mana double basics would be better here. Or just Explore type effects that cantrip too.
Turns out there is only slightly too much Nissa. (And not enough Chandra ;) ) All of the Nissas' contribute to our gameplan well except for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . The general rule of Planeswalkers in commander is to assume that you will only get two activations if you are lucky. So with this one you will at best buff your team a little. Consider Garruk Wildspeaker instead maybe?
Other random Card Recommendations
- Boundless Realms All the rest of our lands from our deck? Yes please
- Sylvan Awakening We do this, then we overrun and nobody will be expecting it
- Genesis Wave As previously mentioned. It's the better Animist's Awakening
- The Mending of Dominaria More mass land recursion.
Well I hope some of this helped at least a little :)
3 months ago
How much does Throne of the God-Pharaoh do for you? Unless I'm missing something in your decklist, or you all-out attack a lot, it doesn't appear to be worth a spot. Please let me know if I'm wrong, though.
I run a Tatyova/Moonfolk themed deck myself. Feel free to take a look: Tatyova, Land-Matters
You've got a good thing going here!
3 months ago
Hey, just a heads up, Primeval Titan is banned in commander, but if your play group is okay with it, keep it. There's a reason it's banned :).
I would also replace some of your sorceries with more creatures so that you can use Mina and Denn's second ability a little more.
Lastly, I'd recommend the following cards:
Khalni Heart Expedition for quicker ramp
Scute Mob can become a big beater
Vinelasher Kudzu and also smash in the late game.
Ghalta, Primal Hunger can definitely smash, and with a few creatures already in play, he becomes wicked cheap to cast
Avenger of Zendikar can be pretty fun.
Ground Assault can be good spot removal when you have a bunch of lands
Hope this helps! If you need some suggestions on what to cut let me know!
3 months ago
Nice to see this deck updated The easy cards to cut are the mana rocks as long as you add some land ramp like Skyshroud Claim other cards i would remove are the non elemental creatures which are just being big like Emissary of Grudges or the Crash of Rhino Beetles an other card i didn't mention but does this roll a lot better is Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar . it also being an elemental. So maybe remove 5 of the 7 mana rocjs you are running at two or 3/4 more land ramp cards and maybe fill the rest with some commander protection like the greaves or maybe a Temur Sabertooth . or some more lands like Myriad Landscape . The trick in building this deck is trying to find cards which fill 2 rolls at ones like the landscape or the Fertilid you now added. Instead of the Acidic Slime you can run Ingot Chewer which is slighlty more on flavour or maybe even both.
Other cards to cut in my opinion: Grapple with the Past you should be drawing like crazy and if you want graveyeard recursion there are better options. Rabid Bite you are in red so better removal is plentyfull. Undying Rage i don't really like enchantments in general and you are not trying to punch fast i think at least. Scute Mob very meta depended in my meta there is a stupid amount of removal so explosiveness and recursion are very important if you don't encounter much removal this could be great.
Hope it helps this was a bit less structured than i like to be so sorry.
4 months ago
It looks like your trying to go budget with this list as well as low cmc, and +1/+1 counters. Meren of Clan Nel Toth wants creatures to get those experience counters. As well as sac outlets. id recommend increasing creatures and cutting from mostly instants and some enchantments possibly sorcerys too. Also not entirely sure why your running Black Knight . On that note.
all low drop creature sac outlet to make those xp counters while meren is out yahenni can get particularly mean as he gets big from board wipes that he can survive.
Skullclamp card draw.
Ashnod's Altar sac outlet and mana.
Sakura-Tribe Elder is great ramp as if meren see it die she gets a xp counter and if she has 2 she just puts it on the battlefield at end step to ramp even more.
Corpsejack Menace explosive with +1/+1.
Fleshbag Marauder make em sac get a counter.
Plaguecrafter make em sac premium.
Merciless Executioner make em sac more.
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest benefit from them sacing.
Savra, Queen of the Golgari benifit from sacing only if you can sac reliably though. i still feel she is worth mentioning.
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord a sac outlet that gets big and can win you the game.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal get more counters.
Managorger Hydra get alot of counters.
Gyre Sage get ramp with +1/+1.
Poison-Tip Archer make em pay with life for all the death.
Skullwinder good for politics.
Pollenbright Druid uber cheap proliferate or +1/+1.
Ravenous Slime make other graveyard deck hate you as your creature get huge.
Scute Mob adorable and terrifing if left on the field to long.
Tendershoot Dryad if you like tokens.
Vigor he makes everything bigger.
Vulturous Zombie bird that gets big.
Winding Constrictor more counters
Golgari Grave-Troll dredge +1/+1 counter a golgari staple cheaper since the reprint
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave +1/+1 staple
you also might want creatures to bomb into with meren.
Avenger of Zendikar high cmc yes but if hes in the grave with enough xp free plants that get bigger or die for xp.
Hornet Queen same as avenger but deathtouch and flying they dont get bigger but dont really need to.
Underrealm Lich is a great way to filter through your top deck and load your graveyard. combos with the oh so pricey but oh so worth it Sylvan Library the way the replacement effect works with these two out has you drawing three cards keeping one putting two into the yard 3 times for 3 more cards in hand an 6 more in your graveyard for meren to see at endstep. (sorry if unnecessary i love that combo.)
i may have gone a little overboard (and could go on) but i think looking through the creatures i mentioned might be able to give the deck a shot in the arm probably aim for 30-35 creatures as thats what meren wants to abuse. thats just the creatures though and you still might want to look into increasing your ramp and card draw.
i hope this helps.
4 months ago
Card draw, you either have too much or not enough.
Going to remove Sylvan Library all together. Don’t have the life gain to make the most of it.
On the fence now on keeping or not keeping Sensei's Divining Top .
I’m looking to avoid anything that can be shut down by Gaddock Teeg .
Scute Mob occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%