Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Poison the Cup
Destroy target creature. If this spell was foretold, scry 2.
Foretell (During your turn, you may pay and exile this card from your hand face down. Cast it on a later turn for its foretell cost.)
2 months ago
As for things to cut, here is my list-
Cards to definitely cut- 1) Abomination of Llanowar he's just a big, dumb of elf with a target on his back for removal. There are better options. At least Drove of Elves has hexproof, but I wouldn't even play that. The only one I'd play is Jagged-Scar Archers, and that's because of its utility against flyers.
2) Elvish Rejuvenator He gets a land, but doesn't actually ramp you. And that is if you get a land- you might whiff. You have better options. If you really want this effect Sylvan Ranger costs one less mana and is guaranteed to not whiff.
3) Eyeblight Cullers 5cmc is just too much for something that only gives you three tokens on its death, and you have no mill synergy.
4) Golgari Findbroker This card was made for draft. It just costs too much for what it does. Its not just the four cmc, 2 and 2 is a high opportunity casting cost.
5) Harald, King of Skemfar He's basically a 3/2 with menace that replaces himself. The clause on Tyvar might seem good if you add him (which is good idea, btw- he'll be worth it even if he doesn't stick around too long), but even then you have to remember that he won't find Tyvar the majority of the time. Again, its nice he replaces himself and gives you some selection, but there are better options.
6) Jaspera Sentinel Dorks are great, but you have to tap two creatures for one mana, which is a bad rate in elves. There are better dorks suggested above.
7) Masked Admirers This is one of those cards that Wizards stuffs into every precon conceivable, even though its bad in most of them. We don't need it here.
8) Thornbow Archer He's only draining one life for each time he attacks. That isn't enough to justify his slot.
9) Voice of Many You get maybe three cards for four mana at most? He's not the worst and he does draw cards, but I've never liked him.
10) Voice of the Woods This might sound like a good use of your elves, but its better to pump your elves than to use them to summon elementals. Plus he costs five to cast.
11) Tergrid's Shadow We have a joke about this card in our playgroup, but in general it isn't what we want. Letting your opponents pick what they sacrifice means you'll rarely hit the thing you need to get rid of. You might as well just play Doom Blade or any other premium removal card in these colors. There are a lot!
12) Poison the Cup They just put this in the precon because foretell was a Kaldheim theme, but there are so many cheap (both in real world and mana cost) black removal cards that this one shouldn't make the cut.
14) Return Upon the Tide This just costs too much mana, and you have other better recursion pieces out there.
Cards to think about removing
1) Serpent's Soul-Jar This card could be good, but could also be a trap. Your graveyard is a resource, and exiling everything from it prevents mass recursion. Also, your opponents can target this with removal and you'll never get your stuff back. I'd probably just play Haunting Voyage, Patriarch's Bidding, and Living Death to get your goodies back for more fun!
2) Twinblade Assassins He does draw cards, and is probably at least as good as Phyrexian Arena while he lives. So you might keep him, but he costs 5cmc, so if you have enough card draw you might want to cut him.
4) Nullmage Shepherd This can allow us to remove problematic stuff. But tapping four elves is a bigger cost than we often want to pay. Something to think on.
5) Sylvan Messenger Again, this card does get us some draw, much like Lead the Stampede which I used to play does. I've just never found it good enough to include though. Nonetheless, you want at least ten pieces of draw, and this does count as that!
6) Eyeblight Massacre This will kill a lot of stuff, but will often leave what you most need to kill alive. Ezuri's Predation is a recently reprinted board wipe that is now more affordable and will wreck your opponents while leaving your stuff intact. In Garruk's Wake and Plague Wind cost a 25 cents each and will hose everyone but you, and because you are playing elves you can afford their cmc!
7) Ruthless Winnower Having played against this card I can attest that it is annoying, but your opponents will often kill it before it can have too much impact. If it were a lower cmc it would be a guaranteed in, at least it will take the heat off of more important cards. It is high at 5cmc though. Keeping it might be the right choice, but I'd at least consider it.
3 months ago
Just a few suggestions on the utility pieces: Sisay's Ring is the same thing as Ur-Golem's Eye, but Thran Dynamo is better. Expel is better than Excoriate. Unless you really care about preventing regeneration, Doom Blade is better than Terror, though I personally prefer Poison the Cup.
6 months ago
EJ!! Let's do this! This build is already tight, but here are my thoughts\suggestions...
Cards I'd consider cutting: Seize the Spoils, Reckless Endeavor, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Poison the Cup, Vengeful Reaper, Dream Devourer, Replicating Ring, Ward of Bones, Darksteel Forge, the flip tibalt guy, Ash Barrens, Cryptic Caves, Darksteel Citadel, Foreboding Ruins, Mortuary Mire, Zhalfirin Void
Cards I'd consider adding: Light Up the Stage, Chaos Wand, You Find Some Prisoners, Reckless Fireweaver, Valakut Exploration, Rakdos Charm, Murderous Rider, Praetor's Grasp, Rakdos Signet, Bojuka Bog, Luxury Suite, Blood Crypt, Haunted Ridge, Smoldering Marsh, Dragonskull Summit, Bloodstained Mire, Temple of Malice
I would also suggest swapping Red Elemental Blast for Pyroclasm... seems silly, but pyroclasm can be cast even if there are no blue targets. So may not be relevant, but could be randomly at some point.
9 months ago
Uba Mask seems great for Prosper. These too: Knowledge Pool, Stolen Strategy, Goldspan Dragon, Disciple of the Vault, Summoning Station, Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip, Outpost Siege, Breya's Apprentice, Chandra, Pyromaster, Flameskull, Commune with Lava, Act on Impulse, Embereth Shieldbreaker, Poison the Cup
10 months ago
10 months ago
Forgot to click the "suggestions" button, so, to recap my suggested inclusions: Duress Increasing Ambition Raven's Crime Dying Wail Headhunter Hypnotic Specter Carrion Feeder Legion Vanguard Malevolent Noble . Fiend Artisan Hell's Caretaker Golgari Guildmage Malevolent Awakening Murder Doom Blade Poison the Cup Massacre Wurm Sheoldred, Whispering One
10 months ago
Hello stranger, whom I have never met! Awesome concept! Some ideas that come to mind for refining this:
I think your mana curve is super high compared to the number of lands you're running. Since mono-black doesn't access to a lot of ramp, I'd suggest switching out some of your higher costs sorceries, such as Gruesome Discovery , with something like Duress . Similarly, I think that life gain cards like Increasing Ambition are too high costed, and don't really support your overall strategy. I'd suggest replacing with things like Raven's Crime , which you can retrace, or Dying Wail which offer better timing and utility.
Similarly, I think Headhunter and Hypnotic Specter probably have better synergies than your rogues. I really like [card:Black Cat], but think we could do more to trigger it on our terms. Carrion Feeder could be a cool addition, as could Legion Vanguard or Malevolent Noble .
Fiend Artisan is spendy, but would be such a powerful tutor and likely game ender in this build. Hell's Caretaker and Golgari Guildmage are significantly less powerful, but still allow you to exploit repeated triggers of your cats and Sangromancers. If you preferr an enchantment approach, Malevolent Awakening also works well.
I would definitely suggest upping the number of Painful Quandary , and definitely increasing the number of lands you're running to 20-22. I also think 4-8 removal spells, such as Murder , Doom Blade , or Poison the Cup would help respond to enemy threats and interruptions. I'd reduce the number of sorceries to make room - the looping creature threats have more of a long term board presence.
I hope this helps!
1 year ago
- Kin-Tree Invocation + Binding the Old Gods - Boneyard Lurker + Infuse with Vitality - Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner + Moritte of the Frost - Incubation / Incongruity + Quandrix Cultivator - Spellheart Chimera + Prismari Command - Final Payment + Humiliate - Zealous Persecution + Killian, Ink Duelist - Kaya, Bane of the Dead + Closing Statement
- Fleshbag Marauder + Brackish Trudge - Blight-Breath Catoblepas + Sheoldred, Whispering One - Audacious Thief + Unwilling Ingredient - Hagra Constrictor + Tergrid, God of Fright Flip - Blood Beckoning + Go Blank - Murder + Poison the Cup - Lazotep Reaver + Umbral Juke - Herald of the Dreadhorde + Feed the Serpent