Creature — Human Soldier
When Doomed Traveler is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.
|Want (4)||Cactusman , nafgan , JazzCrimes , Tigerstyle|
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Common|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Common|
|Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (E01)||Common|
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Blessed vs. Cursed (DDQ)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Doomed Traveler occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.05%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Doomed Traveler Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, consider switching your themes around? Making the token theme the main theme and aristocrats the subtheme?
I suggest this because I think tokens is better overall with this Teysa. Skullclamp is the main reason that tokens are the way to go because it's busted with Teysa and tokens are the easiest fodder for Clamp. When playing aristocrats as the main strategy you really want infinite combos with them. Many combos is how you benefit from the aristocrat strategy. Without many combos making your opponents lose some life is fine, but is not taking enough advantage of aristocrats.
Cards within the budget to consider adding:
- Doomed Traveler: one drop who creates a flying token when it dies is very good with Teysa and recursion.
- Mirror Entity: can pump all tokens and Teysa for big attacks or can be a sac outlet for aristocrat.
- Open the Armory: tutor for Skullclamp or Deathmantle.
- Luminarch Ascension: repeatable 4/4 Angel tokens at instant speed and it activates fast in multiplayer Commander because it looks at each opponents end step. Tokens give you blockers to help to prevent opponents from doing combat damage to you.
- Crested Sunmare: repeatable 5/5 Horses, only have to gain one life on a turn to create a 5/5 Horse, it triggers on your opponents turns if you gain life.
- Dark Prophecy: triggers when tokens die.
- Erebos, Bleak-Hearted: triggers when tokens die.
- Skirsdag High Priest: good with vigilance tokens, turn 1/1 into 5/5 Demon at instant speed.
- Archon of Justice: triggers Teysa to exile two permanents.
- High Market: sac outlet.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 1x Swamp
- 1x Plains
- Burnished Hart
- Syr Konrad, the Grim
- Butcher of Malakir
- Cruel Celebrant
- Harvester of Souls
- Utter End
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
I came from your forum post. In modern, tokens decks are generally on the slow side, which is why you see most BW Tokens lists playing Inquisition and Thoughtseize. Unlike what your impression of tokens seems to be, they are not usually the aggressor, but rather are a fairly defensive deck that wins with value (card advantage gained through token board presence). Thus, you generally want all your token-making cards to produce more than 1 token per card, and you don't need a token-making one-drop; I wouldn't play Doomed Traveler in a tokens deck, even if you have a few sacrifice shenanigans. I don't consider the 2 Ghost Councils to be enough in that respect.
If you really wanted to make this deck more competitively viable, you should cut the Doomed Travelers, Selfless Spirits, and Ghost Councils for hand disruption/removal. If you don't want that, I always like to play Triplicate Spirits in tokens lists. As far as cards that work with Teysa Karlov, I can't really think of anything besides the typical aristocrats (Blood Artist) that could fit into a Modern Tokens deck.
1 month ago
Her giving lifelink and vigilance to all the tokens was pretty good though. It's a shame that her first effect it's hard to synergize with using spirit tokens.
At this point, if I use Spirit Bonds and keep Ghost Council of Orzhova, I could keep the Doomed Traveler since I can sacrifice him with the council, spawning another token, and possibly trigger Promise of Bunrei.
Thanks for the suggestions.
1 month ago
Naksu, your deck is very similar, if not the same, to what I was trying to do and I got a lot of hints out of it. I'm probably going to run one Westvale Abbey Flip and Ghost Quarter which are also good for the theme (really important to me). I upvoted it btw. Since you have surely more experience with this kind of deck, I've got a couple of questions:
do you think Doomed Traveler is worth it? I find that it's very easy to play around him. Probably it's better to change it for a 1-cost removal like Path to Exile or Inquisition of Kozilek/Thoughtseize rather than another 1-cost spirit creature. The only one I like is Kami of False Hope cause it can proc Promise of Bunrei at any time.
Last question: I see you use Bontu's Last Reckoning with Selfless Spirit, but since it keeps your lands tapped, couldn't it stop you from playing a maybe topdeck Devouring Greed? Isn't it better to play a 4-cost boardwipe spell?
Anyway, thanks for the interest and for the help.
1 month ago
I'm building a BW spirits deck based on tokens, and I want to keep it BW.
I've got two problems though:
1) I can't find a good drop-1 that synergize well with tokens and spirits other than Doomed Traveler, which didn't do a good job by far. The deck should be pretty fast and aggressive, so I guess a drop-1 is required, correct me if I'm wrong. 2) I decided to replace card:Teys Karlov with Ghost Council of Orzhova because her first effect is never used with the other cards and because council's effect is good to sacrifice card:Doom Traveler and trigger Promise of Bunrei. Moreover, council's a spirit so I can sacrifice him too for Devouring Greed which is a secondary finisher in case the game stalls. Problem is: ghost council didn't do a good job too. I actually like Teysa more, but the fact that I'm not going to use her first effect bothers me. So, in the end, the best thing would something to replace card:Doom traveler that could also trigger Teysa Karlov.
1 month ago
Ok, I guess the deck works, but it seems far from smooth. Impassioned Orator, Orzhov Racketeers are pretty terrible here, and Basilica Bell-Haunt isn't the most fitting, as well. You should definitely include some kind of free sacrifice-outlet like Nantuko Husk. There are many that are better, but Husk is super-cheap and very effective. Great card draw for the deck is Altar's Reap, and I really like cards such as Macabre Waltz for this kind of strategy. Looking at your overall creature base, Dusk / Dawn seems pretty useful. Oh, and adding a one-drop seems important. Doomed Traveler seems most fitting.
3 months ago
Eloniel Lurrus is alright, but I don't think any of the CMC < 2 permanents in the deck are worth recurring only once per turn. I already have Phyrexian Reclamation and the Reassembling Skeleton which do a better job. Massacre Wurm is still in the combos since unfortunately, right now I can't edit the description. Every time I save a new description, the editor deletes half of it. I've been waiting to see if it fixes itself, but it hasn't yet, so eventually, I'll have to get the admins' attention. I like Hell's Caretaker but it seems very slow and costly. Cards like that die quickly in my meta, and I don't like playing such slow cards.
sub780lime Personally, I like 1-drop fodder like Garrison Cat more than 2-drops like Tithe Taker. The extra abilities tacked onto two drop fodder don't interest me compared to the tokens they make on death. Since I'm mainly aiming for the tokens, I'd rather them be 1 less mana. That being said, I don't think I'll include the cat since Hunted Witness and Doomed Traveler have been enough.
3 months ago
Everyone's deck will vary depending on their own financial situation but you are welcome.
Your creature base can be improved. As a rule of thumb for creatures generating tokens creatures with a CMC of 1-2 create one token and creatures with a CMC of 2-4 create 2 tokens.
A Planeswalker that is just made for a deck like this is Liliana, Dreadhorde General.