Burning Sun's Avatar
Creature — Dinosaur Avatar
When Burning Sun's Avatar enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to target opponent and 3 damage to up to one target creature.
|Have (3)||metalmagic , shmoofidoo , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||None|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Burning Sun's Avatar occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Burning Sun's Avatar Discussion
2 months ago
Cards up for consideration: Getting carried away looking at ETB creatures! Sneak Attack, Dragon Mage, Strionic Resonator, Scourge of the Throne, Balefire Dragon, Combustible Gearhulk, Dockside Extortionist, Fanatic of Mogis, Godo, Bandit Warlord Burning Sun's Avatar, Hoarding Dragon, Molten Primordial, Ox of Agonas, Terror of Mount Velus, Thunder Dragon, Dream Pillager, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, Hellkite Tyrant, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker(This one goes infinite with Zealous Conscripts so that may be out...) Ricardo mentioned these ones Cavalier of Flame, Fires of Invention, Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 months ago
Awesome list, i have taken some notes for when i start retooling my own gishath deck.
But there are some inclusions I myself have experienced to be underwhelming and was wondering what you thought about them.
Bellowing Aegisaur: Does he work as occasional +1/+1 counter placements or do you have multiple activations when you use him. I myself find the occasional trigger to be underwhelming, and not doing much for 6 mana. And when i can use something like Pyrohemia he does not protect himself.
Burning Sun's Avatar: Have been very disappointed with this one, tough to cast due to its cmc and triple red. Bolting a creature and a player seems very limited for 6 mana, and even when its cheated into play it seems underwhelming for a card slot when something like Apex Altisaur could remove multiple threats. And a 6/6 without trample is underwhelming as well in my opinion :/.
Deathgorge Scavenger: How often do you meet graveyard decks, because without that interaction it seems very limited in its use.
Raging Regisaur: I have been on the fence with this, it is a very nice trigger on a dinosaur body. But the amount of enrage targets are limited and - at least in my meta, a 4/4 will rarely be able to attack anyone without dying to one of their larger blockers. Killing an X/1 is nice, but the difficulty of having it attack without dying is a bit tough.
Raging Swordtooth: Same case as above, but i like this less. It triggers only once, which means it needs a lot of setup for getting a lot of enrage triggers. An army of 1/1 seems uncommon, most token decks will have something to buff them. A possible swap could be Staff of Nin it gives card draw and a nice way to trigger enrage, although at a higher cmc and no way of cheating it into play.
Siegehorn Ceratops: How has this performed for you? I find it very hard to trigger it the first time with only 1 damage. And even if it gets buffed it is just a big beater without trample. I really like the card and want to include it, but its hard to justify.
Territorial Allosaurus: Is a 5/5 for 4 with a possible fight ability really worth it, feels there are better options available.
Trapjaw Tyrant: Have shown to be very risky. Some setup is required to trigger the enrage, and even if the problems are removed, they will come right back when the board is cleared. And then one have to take care of those problems again with an empty board.
And what do you think about some of these cards?
Domri, Anarch of Bolas: Can be removal, ramp and buff.
Samut, the Tested Can give gishath double strike and enable enrage.
Aura Shards Can wipe most creatures from opponents boards when casting dinosaurs, and commander can be a board wipe when casting.
Shaman en-Kor for moving enrage triggers
1 year ago
- Cut 2 or 3 lands. You run 10 ramp without counting doublers. Or cut like 2 lands and 2 ramp.
- Courser of Kruphix Not a dino, just play ramp
- Oracle of Mul Daya Not a dino, just play ramp
- Reclamation Sage Not a dino, dino does it better
- Sakura-Tribe Elder Not a dino, replace with ramp, dino ramp
- Sky Terror Too vanilla, replace with ramp or dino ramp
- Scroll Rack You did this in Narset, wasn't tht great
- Eerie Interlude Not enough ETBs to count, if this is to dodge wraths boros charm and heroic intervention are better.
- Cacophodon I'm not seeing where you are going to benefit from untapping a single target
- Path of Mettle Flip
- Sylvan Library it's a great card, but I think you are trying to just ramp and get your value off your commander.
- Mana Geyser To me this is best in mono red or in something with X spells.
- Wayward Swordtooth Not that great in EDH
- Raging Regisaur it's in here for ping i think, you didn't seem to keen on it.
- Privileged Position
- Asceticism this and priv pos are both for protecting, with your 90 haste enablers I'm not sure i'd worry about protecting.
- Neheb, the Eternal If this is here to go infinite/near infinite with Aggravated Assault run the whole busted mana package that goes infinite with it (or at least more than just 1) Sword of Feast and Famine , Druids' Repository , Bear Umbra , Grand Warlord Radha , Savage Ventmaw
- Whispersilk Cloak Only having one of this effect seems odd
- Signets - I like the new lockets better. More mana but later on you can sac them to draw cards. Up to you
- Atzocan Seer idk, feel like i'd rather just kodama's reach. HIs second ability could be relevant.
You're missing a bunch of the best dinosaur cards in my opinion
- Commune with Dinosaurs Early gets a land, late gets a dino. Always replaces itself.
- Thundering Spineback Only a 5/5 but is an anthem and makes more dinos
- Carnage Tyrant Literally the best dinosaur ever printed, has all of the keywords you'd ever want on it but haste
- Burning Sun's Avatar Bolts something, bolts someone, and is costed correctly
- Rampaging Ferocidon So good it's banned in standard, shuts down other creature based decks. Can hurt you but likely you are winning if this is hurting.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar If you wanna flip your deck, why not gain all the life at the same time
- Runic Armasaur It's a dino, it's prison, it's got better stats than it's mana
- Overgrown Armasaur Reclamation sage-esque but on a dino
- Kindred Summons 7 mana, basically same as your creatures, and can double your creature count at EOT....
- Overwhelming Stampede Your average power is like 10 in this deck, +10/+10 and trample on everything ends games.
- Naya Charm First mode is meh, second mode can be good, third mode allows you to take out someone
- Charging Monstrosaur haste and trample and on curve
- Bellowing Aegisaur This thing gets huge fast, but doesn't have trample
- Iroas, God of Victory Not a dino, but is combat relevant, makes it easier for your dinos to get through and win
That gets you no where near where you need to be. To me you have too many enchantments might look there more.
1 year ago
OberstHati- My deck doesn't function without Gilded Lotus. My deck is incapable of reaching critical mass without drawing them somewhat consistently. As for Burning Sun's Avatar I'm always super happy to play it, sometimes killing a creature and a planeswalker. I love Expansion / Explosion but it doesn't work in my deck. The only card I can Expansion is Lava Coil and for card draw I'd much rather play Overflowing Insight over explosion since i can cheap it out with Omnispell Adept. I have the same problem with Niv-Mizzet, Parun that I have with Expansion / Explosion, I can't get any value out of it. My deck doesn't have a critical mass of instant and sorcery spells to make Niv-Mizzet worth playing. Also it's very hard to play in my deck since I bring in Field of Ruin against control and Powerstone Shard only produces colorless mana. Thanks for the suggestions though.
1 year ago
1 year ago
You can try it. But Burning Sun's Avatar being six mana, no haste, and easily chump blockable, I think makes it just too slow. thanks for the suggestion though
1 year ago
1 year ago
Here is on for you to put in the side board Burning Sun's Avatar