Creature — Orc
, Sacrifice a Forest: Add three mana in any combination of and/or to your mana pool.
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Heroes vs. Monsters (DDL)||Common|
|Coldsnap Theme Deck (CTD)||Common|
|Masters Edition II (ME2)||Common|
|Ice Age (ICE)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Orcish Lumberjack occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Orcish Lumberjack Discussion
3 weeks ago
Hey, I'm intrigued by the build but there's definitely some adjustments to make.
Elvish mystic => Orcish Lumberjack - mtg's greatest mana dork.
Harmonize => Compost - meta dependent but FAR greater reward.
Game trail => Gaea's Cradle . (This should be obvious)
Forest => Birthing Pod (35 lands is excessive in cedh unless you have a real reason)
Mountain => Sylvan Tutor (see above)
Mountain => Barbarian Ring (you otherwise have 0 ways to stop a grand abolisher or similar, so flash hulk bodies grumgully)
Reflecting pool => Mana Confluence (pool can't tap without another land)
Soul of the harvest => Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (getting up to six mana to play a dude that doesn't immediately do something is risky, at least yisan has application to find your entire combo, or disruption if needed)
Also what's the deal with genesis chamber?
3 weeks ago
- Llanowar Elves - Enough mana ramp. The only dorks worth it are Birds of Paradise and Orcish Lumberjack .
- Collector Ouphe - More hate against artifacts. (I hate u, Urza.)
1 month ago
Hey, nice budget version of Windgrace and interesting discard strategy.
Command Tower , Exotic Orchard , Savage Lands are excellent budget lands for a Jund manabase. Jund Panorama , Blighted Woodland are other budget Fetch lands good with Ramunap Excavator . Llanowar Wastes , Cinder Glade and Dragonskull Summit are other budget dual lands.
Some upgrades within the budget to consider:
- Scavenging Ooze > Neheb, the Eternal
- Deathrite Shaman > Gruul Cluestone
- Orcish Lumberjack > Rakdos Cluestone
- Animate Dead > Blood Frenzy
- Hypnotic Specter > Primal Growth
Scavenging Ooze can exile cards that your opponents discard. Neheb is another five drop and all the other five drops here are better than it. Deathrite Shaman can exile cards your opponents discard. Can exile your own or more importantly your opponents lands to make mana. Orcish Lumberjack is good for ramp and it has interaction with Windgrace since you can reanimate the Forests you sac. Can tap the Forest to make mana before you sac it with Lumberjack which means that single Forest can make four mana.
Can reanimate any creature in any graveyard with Animate Dead , includes your opponents graveyard. Opponent discards a big creature you can reanimate it. Hypnotic Specter is the original Specter, one of the original sources of opponent discard and the discard is random which is good. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Hey, nice upgrade of the precon.
Because you have Extortionist Temur Sabertooth is a combo with him to make infinite treasures which makes infinite mana and infinite sacs for Korvold. Diabolic Intent is a big upgrade since it's a sac and tutor for any card for two mana. Tireless Tracker is another excellent upgrade because it can be a repeatable source of clues to sac.
Ramunap Excavator helps to be able to freely sac lands for Kovold. It combines well with Tracker and a Fetch land to give you multiple triggers of landfall. Orcish Lumberjack is a very underrated card for ramp in Commander and it combines well with Excavator. Buried Alive is excellent with Genesis. It can tutor for Genesis which also puts it into your graveyard and it can fuel it's recursion with creatures. Life / Death is another underrated card in Commander that combines well with Buried. It can be two drop reanimation or make your lands into creatures to sac them for Korvold.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Hey, nice concept for a budget Korvold deck. The suggestion to add the persist combo with Grumgully is a good one.
Budget cards to consider adding:
- Llanowar Wastes
- Exotic Orchard
- Savage Lands
- Ash Barrens
- Jund Panorama
- Cinder Glade
- Dragonskull Summit
- Orcish Lumberjack : sac and ramp with Forests.
- Bloodsoaked Champion : one drop that can can reanimate itself.
- Viscera Seer : one drop sac outlet.
- Arbor Elf : another one drop mana dork who can untap Stomping Ground or Cinder Glade .
- Diabolic Tutor : tutor for any one card.
- Shared Summons : instant tutor for any two creatures.
- Signal the Clans : instant tutor for three creatures and randomly put one into your hand.
- Ramunap Excavator : more expensive price, but good with Lumberjack, Fetch lands and is helpful because then lands can be the permanent you sac.
- Dreadhorde Invasion : repeatable source of a token to sac.
- Plaguecrafter : sac and make all your opponents sac a creature or a Planeswalker or discard a card.
- Regrowth : recur any one card.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Cinder Marsh
- 3x Swamp
- 2x Mountain
- Basal Thrull
- Blood Bairn
- Nightshade Stinger
- Shrapnel Blast
- Accorder's Shield
- Fountain of Youth
- Phyrexian Walker
- Desperate Gambit
- Vial of Poison
- Delif's Cone
Consider cutting Shrapnel Blast and some of the cost artifacts? I don't think Blast is good enough of a card to want to include these artifacts. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Hey, you're welcome.
With Korvold, Fae-Cursed King you may want more lands (36) because a land can be the permanent you sac to grow, attack and draw with Korvold. Fetch lands even budget ones: Evolving Wilds , Jund Panorama , Naya Panorama , Blighted Woodland are good if you add Nesting Dragon as these lands give you for more landfall. High Market is a sac outlet that's a land.
There doesn't have to be a big Dragon change with Korvold. Prossh should definitely be included in the 99. Dragon Broodmother and Nesting make a good Dragon team to fuel Korvold's sac. Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire can sac, but Prossh is also a six drop Dragon and it's much better with Korvold than Vaevictis.
There's already several Dragons here that will be good with Korvold such as Broodmother (repeatable source of tokens and sac), Prossh (sac outlet and source of tokens), Utvara (repeatable source of tokens), Lathliss (repeatable source of tokens), Boneyard (good sac target since it can reanimate itself), Bladewing (reanimate another Dragon you saced).
The biggest change will be the support that Korvold wants. Korvold as General for Dragons needs more support than Prossh, but the trade-off is an increase in power level. However, an increase in power level isn't cheap. Many support cards you want with Korvold have expensive prices especially Dockside Extortionist , but even Nesting is expensive price. If this is a problem then Korvold might not be the change you want to make, but Korvold can do more than Prossh if you have the support.
If you choose to switch then these are cards to consider cutting:
- Explosive Vegetation
- Kodama's Reach
- Rampant Growth
- Furyborn Hellkite
- Fiery Confluence
- Door of Destinies
- Dowsing Dagger
- Dragonlord's Servant
- Moldervine Reclamation
- Descent of the Dragons
- Fearsome Awakening
- Hellkite Overlord
The support you want with Korvold are repeatable sources of permanents to sac, some sac outlets and different recursion.
- Dockside Extortionist
- Awakening Zone
- Tireless Tracker
- Orcish Lumberjack
- Greater Good
- Ashnod's Altar
- High Market
- Crucible of Worlds and/or Ramunap Excavator
- Eternal Witness
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Springbloom Druid
The ramp sources could be changed and the reason to change them is if you draw them after getting Korvold onto the battlefield then they will give you more value then just ramp. Examples of potential ramp changes:
2 months ago
Hey, nice version of Dragon tribal.
I see Korvold, Fae-Cursed King in the sideboard. You should consider using Korvold as General instead of Prossh? Prossh can be a great General when you can utilize the Kobolds with combos to win, but that's not the strategy here. As a Dragon tribal General I think there's better options.
Korvold is also Jund colors and he's a Dragon who can grow, but the difference is when Korvold grows he stays that big which means he can get really big and be a huge threat to repeatedly kill with Commander damage. Prossh can also kill with Commander damage, but here he's more of a one shot wonder where as Korvold isn't. Korvold has another ability that makes him a better overall outside of combos General than Prossh and that's card draw. When a General has a built in card draw ability then this just about automatically makes it a better choice than others that don't have one.
Prossh is excellent with Korvold as General because then each Kobolds you sac grows both Korvold and Prossh, but also draws you cards, a lot of cards. Prossh is a sac outlet for Korvold. Using Korvold instead of Prossh will require some changes, but honestly not that many. Ramp sources can change to give you more options of sacing a permanent.
I see Birthing Pod and it's another good reason to switch to using Korvold as General because Pod's ability to repeatedly sac a creature is busted value with Korvold. Greater Good and Genesis is a nice interaction with Korvold. Good is a sac outlet which triggers Korvold and Genesis lets you recur a creature from your graveyard at your upkeep including a creature you discarded to Good. This interaction is excellent with Extortionist since it's a card you want to get repeatable value from. Being able to recur any Dragon/creature that died is also very helpful when you want to sac creatures. Eternal Witness is also good since it can recur any card.
Nesting Dragon can be a repeatable source of Dragon tokens that can be sac fodder which then becomes a Dragon. Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire is a Dragon who has a repeatable sac ability. This Dragon also can really disrupt your opponents since you choose which permanent each opponent sacs. Crucible of Worlds and Ramunap Excavator are good with Korvold because then lands can be sac fodder. Tireless Tracker can be another repeatable source of tokens that sac.
If you like any of these suggestions then I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Hey, nice budget upgrade of the precon. Good work in progress :)
Birds and Smothering are very good choices for expensive price upgrades. Helm is fine too because you added Aurelia and Godo to give you a combo win. Omnath at $7 is kind of out of place because not playing many ways to take advantage of sacing Elementals. Rampaging does the same thing as Omnath for less than $1 and it has trample. Armada Wurm and/or End-Raze Forerunners each less than a $1 could replace Omnath and have more impact. Hornet Queen at $2 creates some nasty tokens.
Interesting choice for the other expensive price cards: Iroas, Panharmonicon and Splinter. There's nothing wrong with these cards, but I don't think they're upgrades that a budget version of the precon needs. The $20 from these three cards could be better used for land upgrades. $20 can get you the three Check lands, one Shock land as well as some other lands and these will help your deck much more.
In my opinion the upgrades that the precon needs the most are lands, tutors and ramp. I see that you're playing pretty much the stock manabase from the precon, but there's many good lands in the maybeboard. Are you in the process of getting the lands in the maybeboard? If so my advice is make them priority for upgrades.
Some budget cards to consider adding:
- Battlefield Forge : colorless/colored mana source.
- Scattered Groves : dual land that can make white mana that Farseek can tutor for. Can be temporary until you get Temple Garden and/or Canopy Vista .
- Naya Panorama : colorless/colored mana source.
- Opal Palace : colorless/colored mana source.
- Game Trail
- Fortified Village
- Sheltered Thicket
- Eladamri's Call : one of the best creature tutors in Commander.
- Fierce Empath : creature tutor to blink.
- Open the Armory : tutor for Greaves or Helm. Having another way to tutor for Helm helps consistency of assembling the combo.
- Congregation at Dawn
- Sylvan Scrying : tutor for a colorless land source or Command Tower , etc.
- Orcish Lumberjack : can tap the Forest to make mana before you sac it meaning Lumberjack combined can make four mana which is very good for a one drop. Lumberjack and a white source can get Ghired onto the battlefield fast.
- Avacyn's Pilgrim
- Talisman of Impulse : colorless/colored mana source.
- Talisman of Unity : colorless/colored mana source.
- Talisman of Conviction : colorless/colored mana source.
- Eldrazi Displacer : with colorless mana sources blink for Ghired and other creatures. Can protect Ghired, after he attacks, triggers, blink him out of combat.
- Mirror Entity : busted with Atla Palani, Nest Tender since it can turn all your creatures into Eggs. Can activate it's ability for no mana making all your creatures 0/0s. They all die, each one cheating a creature from your library onto the battlefield. Entity is also a good card with tokens because until end of turn it can pump all your creatures/tokens to huge amounts depending on how much mana you can make.
- Ogre Battledriver : repeatable pump and haste when creating tokens. Can be a win condition with Entity and Alta giving all the creatures/tokens you cheat onto the battlefield haste. Casting Ghired after getting Battledriver onto the battlefield can give an opponent a beating with haste; doing a combined 16 damage with Ghired and two 4/4 Rhinos.
- Armada Wurm : creates a token with trample, good with blink. 10 power of trample for 6 mana.
- Hornet Queen : creates nasty flying tokens, good with blink.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Rugged Highlands
- Blossoming Sands
- Graypelt Refuge
- Kazandu Refuge
- Myriad Landscape
- Sungrass Prairie
- Emmara Tandris
- Doomed Artisan
- Full Flowering
- Ghired's Belligerence
- Slice in Twain
- Aura Mutation
- Growing Ranks
- Flameshadow Conjuring
- Omnath, Locus of Rage
- Splinter Twin
- Iroas, God of Victory
If you like some of these suggestions I offer more advice about these potential additions and the cards I'm suggesting to cut. Good luck with your deck.